test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Would you like to see tenacity offer piercing damage resistance?

tacobeast94tacobeast94 Member Posts: 66 Arc User
edited February 2017 in PvP Discussion
A while back I proposed that tenacity offer piercing damage resistance as a method of giving players a way to gain some form of defense against piercing damage. After some ongoing discussion with others in PvP, this seems to be a reasonable approach that will leave PvE completely unaffected.

To clarify: keep in mind that the amount of piercing mitigation can be maxed at like 10%, 15%, etc. Just use an arbitrary value, it doesn't have to be in line with the other stats from tenacity.

<font color="red">Please, this is a poll, not a discussion. There are plenty of threads where you can hash out your ideas for what you think should be done to change the mechanics in pvp.</font>
Post edited by tacobeast94 on

Would you like to see tenacity offer piercing damage resistance? 52 votes

Yes
59%
kacezetsantralafaxdefiantone99grroupericyphishforumnamesuxstholan#1688cilginordekmamalion1234bvirabananitsaetelgrinplaviajabobohdeldrachmetalldjtfinalfantasyac7armadeonxtrentbail21elrondknight 31 votes
No
34%
slicey970xmacjaesweatapodimasdemonmongerrhadamathysmorentharlicklyitteesplitghostappltgamesttv#0999jonkocadeathklaat666iceylolz11lupisuindylolburndownxmas#7201david#8871crowdsourced#3904killtofigth 18 votes
Don't care
5%
schietindebuxrabbit#3096rainer#8575 3 votes

Comments

• Options
    crowdsourced#3904 crowdsourced Member Posts: 218 Arc User
    No
    We don't want grinding of boons to be affected
  • Options
    mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User
    Yes
    I said yes since i didnt see the option: boons with piercing damage resist. or at least pvp potions you can get with glory for piercing damage resist.
  • Options
    tacobeast94tacobeast94 Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    @clonkyo1 which would directly affect PvE...
  • Options
    demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    No
    No. Piercing damage is just that.
    Nothing mitigates it.
    It does the damage stated in tool tip no matter what.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • Options
    plaviaplavia Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    Yes
    it should be at least deflected so if someone attack you with piercing damge he could get back 50% (piercing damage) with the everfrost set.
    and hopefully the defelection will proc bit of heals.
  • Options
    forumnamesuxsforumnamesuxs Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 490 Arc User
    Yes
    @plavia
    EF set reflection doesn't work, though. Unless you consider 1 damage per proc to be the expected amount.
    Wolves, big as a horse! I need new pants!

• Options
    ltgamesttv#0999 ltgamesttv Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,438 Arc User
    No
    If you offer piercing damage resistance, it does away with the reason they added the piercing damage to begin with. Killing a GWF even with SE that runs around with 220K HP is nigh impossible. Get rid of piercing damage and welcome back the immortal GWF. Same with GF, they can stack enormous amounts of either HP or Defense, get rid of the threat of SE or capstone of combat HR and you return to the unkillable tanks who have ridiculous damage.

In order for Piercing damage to be changed, you must also change how much tank other classes have. My only problem with piercing damage is that limits should be in place by changing feats or passives. I.E. first strike or the EXE feats that allow power stacking and one shot builds that can hit for 200K +. HR damage, while very good, isn't the primary problem. They have too much survivability in combination with that kind of piercing damage.

The biggest issue is that several classes retain both high damage and good survivability, one needs to be sacrificed for the other. If you want to tank, your damage should be bad, if you want to kill then your defense should be bad (including lifesteal) you should not be able to retain both.
    On ambush rings: "How would you like PVE if all the mobs were invisible?"

imgur pics don't work

• Options
    jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    No
    Agree with Tolkien.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • Options
    waywardwizard#4349 waywardwizard Member Posts: 201 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    Yes
    Shoulda, woulda, coulda... This and every other "pvp problems" thread is like a gathering of old people on the bench in front of their house. They talk about the situation and the politics, they express "expert" opinions and change nothing. The current HR is nothing more than the HR from 2 years ago. Apparently it is its turn to be the fotm class again. PB is completely broken, its equal to a cheat code. You spent time and effort, you build your character with defenses and health and then someone comes along casts 2 things and your health drops faster then the twin towers. The user Tyrion talks about immortal tanks? Excuse me but that is why we have a stat called armor penetration and we see plenty of pvp oriented folks who have built 130% + resistance ignored. That's how you are supposed to beat a tank, not with magical free damage. Sadly the broken things will always be here. Its the nature of the beast. However the fact that we, the players are unable to even hold a united front is worse and its entirely our own fault.
    Post edited by waywardwizard#4349 on
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    No

Shoulda, woulda, coulda... This and every other "pvp problems" thread is like a gathering of old people on the bench in front of their house. They talk about the situation and the politics, they express "expert" opinions and change nothing. The current HR is nothing more than the HR from 2 years ago. Apparently it is its turn to be the fotm class again. PB is completely broken, its equal to a cheat code. You spent time and effort, you build your character with defenses and health and then someone comes along casts 2 things and your health drops faster then the twin towers. The user Tyrion talks about immortal tanks? Excuse me but that is why we have a stat called armor penetration and the we see plenty of pvp oriented folks who have built 130% + resistance ignored. That's how you are supposed to beat a tank, not with magical free damage. Sadly the broken things will always be here. Its the nature of the beast. We, the player being unable to even hold a united front is ever worse however and its entirely our own fault.

PIercing blade and blade hurricane is where HR damge comes from, piercing damage is necessary because armor pen is defeated by tenacity, 71% arm pen resistance, 45% damage resistance make building enough RI on many classes a joke. GF doesn't even need to because of base damage + buffs from feats and ITF or KC. GWF is the same way, stacks of destroyer. However classes like GWF can superstack any stats they need. Armpen gives power in the GWF feat tree, so also does defense and recovery.

I don't expect someone who isn't versed in ALL classes to know this however, you seem a bit wayard as a wizard here m8, but thanks for referencing me so I can help you understand a thing or two.

The only way to compete then, is to give players the ability to pierce high levels of armor or else buff their base damage. If they buff base damage then they must completely reconfigure the class for PVE because those base damage buffs can do CRAZY things when power or crit or other stats can be stacked with Bonding runestones and pets. Thus to balance PVP they must rebalance PVE. I think this is the best route, however it's the most costly in terms of time and resources.

Ultimately if you nerf piercing damage you make HRs and TRs useless in PVP again and relegate them to CB + SB and Trapper builds. Crazy stupid CC and then someone will start a poll about nerfing CC lol. Thus is NW suggestions for "balance".

Thanks for your time.

imgur pics don't work

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Yes
    I have an alt of every class, 2 in some cases but you are right as far as pvp goes I know 1 or 2 classes at best. However I dont need deep understanding of the implications or the math involved to know that what I see when I enter a pvp match is broken. Justification is not required, broken is broken. Nothing else to say. You think too tanky is a problem? Then its not the armor you should look at, its the ability to self heal which should be only in the hands of actual healers yet its in fact in everybody's hands. The developers back then reduced the Regen stat to its current form precisely because some players could build the immortal, high dmg tanks you spoke of. Now thanks to perma power creep we are again able to sustain ourselves if we have the gear.

Do you remember Deep Gash? Once upon a time when I had a bis pvp GWF I could at-will rush a target and if it was a crit that target would die of auto procs. Basically the same thing happens now when a person ends up vs a competent ranger on a node. The rotation is cast, the 2 second at-will window is used to its full potential and even 200 000 HP drops and it drops fast. The HR had that same ability in the past and it was nerfed. Bringing a nerfed ability back doesn't make it balanced now - it means the devs are desperately incompetent. PvP is beyond salvation thanks to a number of things but having a class, any class, capable of ignoring stats on top of the gear gap, the rest of the class balance problems, match making etc is bad. Simply bad. No argument can change that.

PS: You just gave us the solution btw and its a simple one. Instead of giving broken, cheat damage to some classes just adjust the amount of Armor Penetration resistance Tenacity provides. Kinda obvious really. If piercing damage needs to be a conceptual part of the game then adjust it too with internal cool-downs, with inability to be buffed. Make it so its an addition to the normal damage some classes do instead of it being the primary source of damage.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    No

I have an alt of every class, 2 in some cases but you are right as far as pvp goes I know 1 or 2 classes at best. However I dont need deep understanding of the implications or the math involved to know that what I see when I enter a pvp match is broken. Justification is not required, broken is broken. Nothing else to say. You think too tanky is a problem? Then its not the armor you should look at, its the ability to self heal which should be only in the hands of actual healers yet its in fact in everybody's hands. The developers back then reduced the Regen stat to its current form precisely because some players could build the immortal, high dmg tanks you spoke of. Now thanks to perma power creep we are again able to sustain ourselves if we have the gear.

Do you remember Deep Gash? Once upon a time when I had a bis pvp GWF I could at-will rush a target and if it was a crit that target would die of auto procs. Basically the same thing happens now when a person ends up vs a competent ranger on a node. The rotation is cast, the 2 second at-will window is used to its full potential and even 200 000 HP drops and it drops fast. The HR had that same ability in the past and it was nerfed. Bringing a nerfed ability back doesn't make it balanced now - it means the devs are desperately incompetent. PvP is beyond salvation thanks to a number of things but having a class, any class, capable of ignoring stats on top of the gear gap, the rest of the class balance problems, match making etc is bad. Simply bad. No argument can change that.

PS: You just gave us the solution btw and its a simple one. Instead of giving broken, cheat damage to some classes just adjust the amount of Armor Penetration resistance Tenacity provides. Kinda obvious really. If piercing damage needs to be a conceptual part of the game then adjust it too with internal cool-downs, with inability to be buffed. Make it so its an addition to the normal damage some classes do instead of it being the primary source of damage.

I am glad you admit you are familiar with one or two of the 8 classes. It makes sense now. As far as comparisons between deep gash and piercing damage I don't think I can follow you there although I think I know what you're getting at.

What you fail to see in your last statement is that if you adjust tenacity on armor pen, you're benefitting GWF as I just literally said they can power stack anything to insane amounts in PVP. As far as not needing to "know the math involved" actually you do. If you don't, you're making suggestions based off feelings you have. How do I know what IL or tenacity you are as a dev? How do I know your skill level? How do I know you're not just hopping in the middle of PG and letting them hammer you with at-wills? I don't. I only know what I read. If I read tons of complaints about a particular part of the game I may take notice and nerf it. Now, what have I don't to those classes? Relegated them to CC.

Now instead of death by piercing damage you get SB'd and CB'd in place while they cap around you or you get CCd in place with TRapper while another DPS kills you and you can do nothing about it. Careful what you wish for mate, I know personally what can happen.

That said, Lifesteal definitely needs adjusted but GFs surely are NOT tanky because of LS lol. They have a shield in case you haven't noticed. GWFs have only LS to keep them tanky, especially against piercing damage. Nerf LS and they will go from high survivability to none, most Destroyers are running between 20-30% DR and around 30% deflect max then 20% liftesteal and high HP pools. Take away LS and they will go down quickly, however if you also get rid of piercing damage and give straight base damage buffs on TR and HR it might be possible to make both work.

The major problem is the amount of time involved. If the devs would have to completley rework multiple classes to make this work, will they take the time to do a proper job? I wish so, I'd hope so, but like many I'm not holding my breath.

Thanks for your reply.

imgur pics don't work

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Yes
    Sigh. I know I cant provide facts because Im not collecting actual data from the game. I go by what I see and feel yes. As a player I would like to play without bothering with anything else. Let those who like theory-crafting do it and those who test thoroughly using external software provide the feedback. That would be perfect for me since all I want is to just play unhindered by imbalance, by bad match making, by bad party compositions, by broken items or abilities and by lag..omg the lag. But I cant do that can I (its rhetorical)

Ive been with the game since it first went live and the most real fun I can recall in pvp for example was back in pre pvp gear days (pre tenacity). Since then till now its been a never-ending cycle of buffs/nerfs which resulted in the mess we are in now. I don't need data for that, what I feel is what most people feel I'd wager. Cryptic proved unable to balance the classes for pvp. Yes the GF has damage that is too high for a supposed tank. The rooting rangers are extremely annoying but that dont kill you in 5 seconds. You can contest against them, against the pb you cant. You mention GWFs alot but I don't see them as parts of current meta. Its been awhile since a GWF has given me trouble when I queue (not very often admittedly). Most bis GWFs are all trying to be tanky anyway even with destroyer stacks they dont melt you in 5 seconds. TRs, the other piercing buddies, Im fine with them. With SE death is at a 50/50 chance (dodge, move away, AA etc ) with PB you either run or die, its a certainty. I honestly see the HR as it is now as way too tanky ( deflect= heals) and way too damaging via PB. Give him trans enchants, r12, rank 20 guild boons, mount insignia bonuses and you get the single most broken class at the moment. A class above all others, a class in need of adjustment. Thats what I feel.
  • Options
    No

Sigh. I know I cant provide facts because Im not collecting actual data from the game. I go by what I see and feel yes. As a player I would like to play without bothering with anything else. Let those who like theory-crafting do it and those who test thoroughly using external software provide the feedback. That would be perfect for me since all I want is to just play unhindered by imbalance, by bad match making, by bad party compositions, by broken items or abilities and by lag..omg the lag. But I cant do that can I (its rhetorical)

Ive been with the game since it first went live and the most real fun I can recall in pvp for example was back in pre pvp gear days (pre tenacity). Since then till now its been a never-ending cycle of buffs/nerfs which resulted in the mess we are in now. I don't need data for that, what I feel is what most people feel I'd wager. Cryptic proved unable to balance the classes for pvp. Yes the GF has damage that is too high for a supposed tank. The rooting rangers are extremely annoying but that dont kill you in 5 seconds. You can contest against them, against the pb you cant. You mention GWFs alot but I don't see them as parts of current meta. Its been awhile since a GWF has given me trouble when I queue (not very often admittedly). Most bis GWFs are all trying to be tanky anyway even with destroyer stacks they dont melt you in 5 seconds. TRs, the other piercing buddies, Im fine with them. With SE death is at a 50/50 chance (dodge, move away, AA etc ) with PB you either run or die, its a certainty. I honestly see the HR as it is now as way too tanky ( deflect= heals) and way too damaging via PB. Give him trans enchants, r12, rank 20 guild boons, mount insignia bonuses and you get the single most broken class at the moment. A class above all others, a class in need of adjustment. Thats what I feel.

arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/1227023/pvp-the-issues-all-of-them

Check this out as far as what should truly happen to fix PVP. Besides that I agree at least with HRs being both too tanky and having too much damage. They should have one or the other imho, not both. However, nerfing both TR and HR is NOT the answer which is what this poll is about.

imgur pics don't work

• Options
    plaviaplavia Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    Yes
    there should not be piercing damage at all.
    if they insisit than make a feat/power the increse your ArP by 2X or something similar.

SE is one hit kill for so long that ppl can't find excuse for it anymore
    and no, TR are not glass cannon and this is not the only skill they have.

HR mele doing 40% piercing damage??? beside attracting new palyers to PVP i dont see any reason why suddenly we all take damage like a training dummy

instead of fixing the PVP campign, bring some new gifts to PVP, balance the Q, etc.
    all they can do to make PVP intersting is this piercing damage...
    SH PVP was the biggest project of PVP in the last 6 months and look where it is now
    ppl play PVP for allmost 2 years and can't complete the PVP campign.

• Options
    finalfantasyac7finalfantasyac7 Member Posts: 582 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    Yes
    There should be no piercing damage in pvp. You probably have no idea how to play pvp if you can't kill a GF, GWF, DC, OP with pvp drains but even if you can't kill a tanky class... who cares. Pvp is about winning with or without killing. Its all about teamwork & capturing nodes/zones.
    With a good teamwork, crowd control and pvp drains, you can kill any class without piercing damage.

If you like killing so much, why not having a piercing damage boon for all classes ? :)
    Warlock- Lv80. || Rogue - Lv80. || Wizard - Lv80. || Paladin - Lv80. || Cleric - Lv80. || Ranger - Lv70. || Barbarian - Lv70. || Fighter - Lv70.

¨˜ˆ”°¹~•-.„¸ρℓαуιиg иєνєяωιитєя ѕιи¢є 2015¸„.-•~¹°”ˆ˜¨

• Options
    forumnamesuxsforumnamesuxs Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 490 Arc User
    Yes

Though, if physical damage gets buffed PvE gets out of hand.

I'm pretty sure it already is. :)
    But yes, I'd hate to see T3 contents be reduced to Arcane Reservoir difficulty.
    Wolves, big as a horse! I need new pants!

• Options
    No

There should be no piercing damage in pvp. You probably have no idea how to play pvp if you can't kill a GF, GWF, DC, OP with pvp drains but even if you can't kill a tanky class... who cares. Pvp is about winning with or without killing. Its all about teamwork & capturing nodes/zones.
    With a good teamwork, crowd control and pvp drains, you can kill any class without piercing damage.

If you like killing so much, why not having a piercing damage boon for all classes ? :)

If you're using PVP drains you don't know how to play to begin with.

Thanks for your reply

imgur pics don't work

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Yes

If you're using PVP drains you don't know how to play to begin with.

Thanks for your reply
    LOL, if you're a hr who doesn't need skills to kill a player with the help of piercing damage then you will be the one who doesn't know how to play pvp.

Thank you for your opinion.
    Post edited by finalfantasyac7 on
    Warlock- Lv80. || Rogue - Lv80. || Wizard - Lv80. || Paladin - Lv80. || Cleric - Lv80. || Ranger - Lv70. || Barbarian - Lv70. || Fighter - Lv70.

• Options
    inyawayupdeepinyawayupdeep Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 206 Arc User
    Another poor attempt to nerf another class
  • Options
    Yes
    Seems like many misconceptions are flying around here. For the record a think TRs are OK as they are. CB into a smokebomb is much more annoying from them than a SE.

HR however I think needs a tone down.

I voted ''Yes'' but the poll itself needs to be more specific. Piercing Damage by itself is not a problem, the amount of piercing damage HRs can dish out coupled with their defensive capability is.
  • Options
    Yes
    I do agree with you @waywardwizard#4349 but it's still unfair to classes that have no dodge.

• Options
    crowdsourced#3904 crowdsourced Member Posts: 218 Arc User
    No
    I fear that this change will lead to even less deaths in PVP
  • Options
    elrondknightelrondknight Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    Yes

@clonkyo1 which would directly affect PvE...

Tenacity has no effect in pve 0,o

• Options
    burndownxmas#7201 burndownxmas Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    No
    I don't think we need piercing resistance added to tenacity, preferably I'd rather see damage resistance dropped from tenacity and replaced with a direct damage reduction so all classes benefit from it equally.