test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Paladin in 10.5

thecclinetheccline Member Posts: 2 Arc User
Hey guys I was curious how do we fair in 10.5 in both pve and pvp? Are we still needed in a group or is the gf just completely the better option now.

Comments

• Options
    fastrean3fastrean3 Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    Not sure the prot op for pve, but dev op i believe DC definitely completely better option now
  • Options
    rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    fastrean3 said:

Not sure the prot op for pve, but dev op i believe DC definitely completely better option now

Can't say anything about PvP.

In PvE...

Some might say the Tankadin is a dead class. I would agree, assuming you lack gear. However, if you have some gear, like Bondings, some decently good enchants (R8+), and some weapon enchants, you should be fine for tanking most content.

I have actually found tanking ESvard easier on a Paladin than on a GF. However, my Tankadin is running R10 Radiants, Elf's Dragonheart build, a T. Feytouched, and R12 Bondings with a War Boar, so take this with opinion with a grain of salt.

Healadins are *too* balanced and definetly suffer versus the DC.

Sure, Healadins heal well, do "some" chip damage, and have some buffs. But each of them has their own issues.

For the healing, the problem is, that most classes get oneshotted or don't get hit, which means healing is useless. Lifesteal is also a big factor as to why most healers have been phased out. I only really remember Healadins being useful in the Demogorgons and maybe Svardborg, but in most dungeons, a DC with DG with Seal and Bastion should be more than enough to keep people afloat.

Who brings a Healadin to do damage? (and if you're going to say Draco, he plays a Tankadin. :P)

The Healadin has Aura of Courage, Aura of Wisdom, Aura Gifts, and the DevOP Bane as their biggest buffs. Aura Gifts requires investment in the OP, whereas EmpBtS/D-DG/FF/HG require powerpoints (which are easier to get). DevOP Bane is slow and only applies to one player, wheras EmpBtS/FF/D-DG/HG affect the entire team. Wisdom and Courage are both nice, but raw damage bonuses tend to be more effective for an entire team than a cooldown bonus and an extra hit based off HP.

TL;DR:

Tankadin is fine, Healadin is not.

• Options
    thecclinetheccline Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    I should of specified my apologies. I'm a 4.2 protection pally I have everything bis. I have just been hearing we can't tank anymore period and gfs are a way better option.
  • Options
    trzebiat#2067 trzebiat Member Posts: 372 Arc User
    @fastrean3 Why not run with both DC and DevOP? DC strictly for buff/debuff and DevOP for heals, DPS on trash and buff/debuff on bosses (Bane), plus usual two auras - Courage and Wisdom.

@rjc9000 What do you mean by too balanced? Is it really that bad for Healadins in 10.5? I really hate that people always want DC and not even consider taking both DC and DevOP. I'm preparing for FBI (PS4) but I won't be running it with pugs for sure. On my DevOP I'm usually running with DC anyway (CN, eToS) so I go as buff/DPS or if there's no tank, as a tank on bosses instead of buff/debuff. To be honest I wouldn't even bother trying FBI without DC after reading how difficult it is.
  • Options
    oggycz#5356 oggycz Member Posts: 182 Arc User

@fastrean3 Why not run with both DC and DevOP? DC strictly for buff/debuff and DevOP for heals, DPS on trash and buff/debuff on bosses (Bane), plus usual two auras - Courage and Wisdom.

@rjc9000 What do you mean by too balanced? Is it really that bad for Healadins in 10.5? I really hate that people always want DC and not even consider taking both DC and DevOP. I'm preparing for FBI (PS4) but I won't be running it with pugs for sure. On my DevOP I'm usually running with DC anyway (CN, eToS) so I go as buff/DPS or if there's no tank, as a tank on bosses instead of buff/debuff. To be honest I wouldn't even bother trying FBI without DC after reading how difficult it is.

I think, DC buff and DevOP heal work very nice together. We have some nice FBI runs with this combo without single death.
    Svatá Prdelka
    game - Human/real life - ???
    OP 18k+ Devotion/Justice - Light
  • Options
    sundance777sundance777 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    Since the last GF nerf, I too find tanking on my protection pally easier and more enjoyable. I am currently still relying on binding oath for a couple bosses but getting ready for Bane and Circle of Power. I have seen several protection builds around the 2.9-3K IL do just fine with Orcus and I am finding my GF is nothing more than frey and a damage sponge, the OP's are tanking now for many groups on Xbox...GO OP!
    TR - Sun: 16000 IL
    OP - Sunshine: 16000 IL

Casual Dailies
  • Options
    edited December 2016

By too balanced, I mean "Healadin does only one thing really well", which is heal. They are also somewhat tanky, have some small buffs, and under certain circumstances, can provide some chip DPS.

The issue I see with the Healadin is that their massive AoE heals tend to be unecessary in 5 player dungeons, which is their main feature. Healadins can easily heal for 150K+ HP with little effort, which is an instaheal, sure, but . Their buffs tend to pale in comparison to that of a DC, which is why I feel the Healadin is "too" balanced (if DevOP Bane applied faster and in a AoE ala Aura of Courage, DevOP would actually be pretty decent).

Granted, I should have rephrased my previous statement better, as most teams will want a Paladin complimenting a DC and/or GF. I also am looking at it from the perspective of a reasonably geared player on PC, which means many have high lifesteal and/or healing insignias, and would just want damage buffs (of which DCs tend to provide more of compared to a Healadin).

Since the last GF nerf, I too find tanking on my protection pally easier and more enjoyable. I am currently still relying on binding oath for a couple bosses but getting ready for Bane and Circle of Power. I have seen several protection builds around the 2.9-3K IL do just fine with Orcus and I am finding my GF is nothing more than frey and a damage sponge, the OP's are tanking now for many groups on Xbox...GO OP!

(Oh hai Sunny! Loved your TR guide, by the way, as much as I sucked at the class.)

OP generally has it easier tanking that GF, I'm not going to lie. Being an ITF + meatshield is how I feel about my Tactician, but it definetly has its purpose in runs, and if it makes me AD, then I'm not going to complain too much.

• Options
    armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    I hope when they get to the official version of the OP class balance that they rework the feat trees so Justice is for buffing/dps (conqueror/tactician mix) and Bulwark actually works as a tank/aggro magnet path. E.g. Bulwark capstone; User generates divine call by TAKING damage & Divine Call Taunt effect is doubled. That'd be a lot more useful than the current pathetic Holy Barrier.

Having recently created a GF I was amazed at the difference in the quality and relevance of their feat options.
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • Options
    nightranger7477nightranger7477 Member Posts: 211 Arc User
    @rjc9000 what is elf's dragonheart build? Do you have a link to it?
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Elf's Dragonheart build:

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/1223142/a-crazy-idea-for-bis-pve-acdc

Note that it was originally intended for an AC DC, but in practice, it works really well for a Paladin, or any class with a good amount of power for moving quickly and cheesing Recovery (although I recall Sorce was the one who first mentioned that one of his guildies used the Dragonheart for cheesing Divine Protector cooldowns).

• Options
    nightranger7477nightranger7477 Member Posts: 211 Arc User
    Thx
  • Options
    jase2cooljase2cool Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 165 Arc User
    rjc9000 said:

Elf's Dragonheart build:

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/1223142/a-crazy-idea-for-bis-pve-acdc

Note that it was originally intended for an AC DC, but in practice, it works really well for a Paladin, or any class with a good amount of power for moving quickly and cheesing Recovery (although I recall Sorce was the one who first mentioned that one of his guildies used the Dragonheart for cheesing Divine Protector cooldowns).

Its a interesting concept , which heart of dragon you are using?
  • Options
    jase2cool said:

rjc9000 said:

Elf's Dragonheart build:

You can use any Dragon heart, really (well, okay, maybe not "any", as Green Dragon is awful).

I would overall reccomend a Red Dragon due to the fact that it has Power, but Blue and White are not bad.

I am currently using Heart of the Black Dragon, since I had it ever since Mod7-8.

However, I think Black Dragon is a bad choice for this build: due to the fact that you get loads of Recovery and AP Gain from this Dragonheart build, the stats provided from the Black Dragon (Recovery/ArmPen/AP Gain) are rendered obsolete.

• Options
    jase2cooljase2cool Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 165 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    rjc9000 said:

jase2cool said:

rjc9000 said:

Elf's Dragonheart build:

You can use any Dragon heart, really (well, okay, maybe not "any", as Green Dragon is awful).

I would overall reccomend a Red Dragon due to the fact that it has Power, but Blue and White are not bad.

I am currently using Heart of the Black Dragon, since I had it ever since Mod7-8.

However, I think Black Dragon is a bad choice for this build: due to the fact that you get loads of Recovery and AP Gain from this Dragonheart build, the stats provided from the Black Dragon (Recovery/ArmPen/AP Gain) are rendered obsolete.
    ahh.. i see so just choose any dragon hearts base the stats needed, then point the camera away to trigger the heart to create the miss for the cool down reduction?

also do i need 3 or just 1 hearts?
  • Options
    1 heart, active artifact slot. Needs to get mythic ASAP, or you have 15 seconds of downtime.