test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

All Greek to me!

astrotiger5astrotiger5 Member Posts: 157 Arc User
How about a Greek style of mod with satyr, centaur, Harpie (etc).

Comments

• Options
    araneaxaraneax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 639 Arc User
    Let me add the names and some of the descriptions :

Amphisbaena : A serpent with a head at each end.

Catoblepas : A creature with the body of a buffalo and the head of a wild boar.

Centaur and Centauride : creature with a head and torso of a human and the body of a horse.

Cerastes : spineless serpents with a set of ram-like horns on their heads.

Leucrota : creature with the body of a stag, a lion's neck, cloven hooves.

Harpies : Creature with torso, head and arms of a woman, and talons, tail and wings (mixed with the arms) of a bird.

Hippocampus : A creature with the upper body of a horse and the lower body of a fish.

Hippogriff : A creature with the front part of an eagle and hind legs and tail of a horse.

Ophiotaurus (Bull-Serpent) : A creature part bull and part serpent.

Satyrs : Creatures with a human upper bodies, and the horns and hindquarters of a goat.

( I ll add a few i find absolutely amazing ) :

Wolpertinger :
    Region: Germany/ Bavaria
    Type: Chimera

A Wolpertinger is a strange combination. It has the body of a Hare, the antlers of a Roebuck, a cotton tail, the feet of a Duck and saber-like teeth. The creature has a number of abilities unlike any Hare. It can fly, it has enhanced hearing, enhanced speed, enhanced swimming capabilities and immortality. It also cannot be poisoned and has a venomous bite.

Enfield
    Region: England/ Ireland
    Type: Chimera

An Enfield is composed of the head of a Fox (craftiness/ cleverness), the chest of a Greyhound (swiftness/ endurance), the body of a Lion (royalty/ bravery), the hind legs/tail of a Wolf (fraternity/ loyalty) and forelegs of an Eagle's talons (strength/ nobility).

d7d81448-df6b-48cf-94a0-cf1ba87d861a_zpsish6zr2v.jpg

• Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    http://www.terminally-incoherent.com/blog/2014/03/31/bizarre-bestiary-the-dreaded-duckbunny/

Many mythological critters have been statted up for D&D purposes (manticores...), but whether or not they'll make it into Neverwinter depends which direction the game heads in.

If you like the idea of battling with mythological critters exclusively for a while, Titan Quest is an absolutely amazing ARPG which received an enhanced and updated anniversary edition this year. It was still looking and playing great back in 2013. Ancient Greece, Egypt, Babylon, China, and finally into the underworld of Hades. Well worth adding to your Steam wish list, and honestly worth paying full price for.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    I would love it if it wasn't for a lot of the mod releases being pretty hand in hand with WotC.

Minotaurs are my number one favorite way to add Ogres which are not Ogres. :)

I have fond memories of farming XP in NWN's Persistent Worlds by fighitng minotaurs in Nordock's Underdark areas.

• Options
    astrotiger5astrotiger5 Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    I already have "Titan Quest".....
  • Options
    mysteriasdrassamysteriasdrassa Member Posts: 299 Arc User
    I'd like to see something done in/around Waterdeep. Or more stuff in Underdark... lots more nasty critters can be found there than what we have seen as of yet.
  • Options

http://www.terminally-incoherent.com/blog/2014/03/31/bizarre-bestiary-the-dreaded-duckbunny/

Many mythological critters have been statted up for D&D purposes (manticores...), but whether or not they'll make it into Neverwinter depends which direction the game heads in.

If you like the idea of battling with mythological critters exclusively for a while, Titan Quest is an absolutely amazing ARPG which received an enhanced and updated anniversary edition this year. It was still looking and playing great back in 2013. Ancient Greece, Egypt, Babylon, China, and finally into the underworld of Hades. Well worth adding to your Steam wish list, and honestly worth paying full price for.

I love the idea of having a duckbunny as a companion. Shall we make a voting thingy about it ?

• Options
    superent666superent666 Member Posts: 133 Arc User

Wolpertinger! So cute and definitely the outcome of an Oktoberfest-beer-delirium. Beats even the ugly nwn emu mount in funniness...:D I might actually buy lockbox keys to have my char ride on one. Maybe.
  • Options

Wolpertinger! So cute and definitely the outcome of an Oktoberfest-beer-delirium. Beats even the ugly nwn emu mount in funniness...:D I might actually buy lockbox keys to have my char ride on one. Maybe.

What about this one :

• Options
    superent666superent666 Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    araneax said:

What about this one :

nah too cute...look at this one...the mean vampire variation...lol

sry for off-topic...just a lil fun.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

araneax said:

What about this one :

nah too cute...look at this one...the mean vampire variation...lol

sry for off-topic...just a lil fun.
    I would buy keys to get that one... lol

I got the manticore cos he is just like the original and extremely funny .
    I would pay to ride a rabbit- duck - vampire with horns of a stag. XD

This has to be done , check this out :

• Options
    wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    how about those "cute" little mushroom critter in sewer at planet Spango, from the movie "Mom and Dad saved the world", with Terri Garr, Kathy Ireland, and Jon Lovitz.
    remember, "there is a secret in my pants"
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    wylonus said:

how about those "cute" little mushroom critter in sewer at planet Spango, from the movie "Mom and Dad saved the world", with Terri Garr, Kathy Ireland, and Jon Lovitz.
    remember, "there is a secret in my pants"

How did you even remember that one. XD
    Lolz.
    The little ones in the sewer reminded me of alien.
    hECK i am going to upload them just for you :

( It is on the topic , sort of )

• Options
    dread4moordread4moor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,154 Arc User
    Yeah, OP, Greek mythos certainly is a mainstay of D&D. Would be a refreshing change from "something something something demon" and fourteen flavors of frostbite.

But as @ambisinisterr said, WoTC have them by the short and curlies. They cannot add a wombat unless it is a WoTC-approved wombat.

BTW, Those "vorpal bunny" images are creeping me out, folks. Stop it.
    JrUzbQw.jpg?1
    I am Took.
    "Full plate and packing steel" in NW since 2013.
  • Options
    awesome, yes, thank you Araneax, i couldnt post any pics, been looking for that tool to add pics.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator

But as @ambisinisterr said, WoTC have them by the short and curlies. They cannot add a wombat unless it is a WoTC-approved wombat.

It is less that WotC would not approve additions and more that WotC has been wanting something which I can only relate to The Marvel Cinematic Universe in which everything links together. In spirit I actually don't disagree with the concept but a lot of the Demons, Dragons and Undead cliche we've been painted into is a result of the module releases of WotC itself.

And the nature of the video game world is to reuse everything you can re-use. It takes less time to design new humanoid monsters to fight than, say, something like Demogorgon or the snake beasts we've seen depicted in this thread so they end up spending the limited development time which is partly due to the themes WotC itself has chosen retexturing what has already been created.

If they went to "Snakeworld" then they could justify spending time on snakelike beings and their combat animations but since creatures like, IDK, Mariliths (which are still technically a demon but a unique looking one) would only appear one time as a side fight they just can't afford to spend the time designing it and stick to monsters which already mimic monsters they currently have.

It is completely normal practice and the developers can't be faulted for it...
    But I have to wonder if WotC chose more diverse themes campaigns or simply said "Do what you want for a year" if the devs could expand a bit more on their foundations instead of sticking so much to slight tweaks of what they already have.

• Options
    greek mythology really loaded for creatures and beasts, and some non-greek varieties.

lamia, naga, golden hind, centaur, wyvern, griffin, fenris, harpy, medusa, gorgon, minotaur, and lot more.

we keep seeing recycled undeads, cultists or other common cheap criminals, we still hadnt encounter shadow people of pure darkness, like as seen in asheron's call.

seem they dont put as priority, since thay can reskin human/elf as cut and paste.
    we are still waiting for playable gensai, gnomes, gigatians (half-giants), and other planar races

will add more later, i am tired and it late.
  • Options
    Like I said Wylonus, the modules that WotC have created really don't cater much to adding in new creatures.

Animations are the most expensive and time consuming part of creature releases. It's normal to limit the amount of animation required for new releases because if they didn't reskin most of the new monsters then the release periods would end up greatly extended.

However, normally companies try to incorporate reasons to justify new animations to allow for more varied reskinning over time. It's hard to place the blame entirely on Cryptic when they have been requested to not only follow the PnP module themes but also cater to a similar (preferably the same) release schedule.