test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Anvil of Doom or Commander's Strike?

speedokillzspeedokillz Member Posts: 105 Arc User
I have ran my Sword Master / Tactition for a while and switched out AoD, CS, and neither countless times. I love having that DPS Encounter to help finish the last standing mob creature. Since Mod10 and the updates to both powers I have been running Into the Fray, Enforced Treat, and Commander's Strike...

Thoughts on which is better: Anvil of Doom or Commander's Strike or Other?

Comments

• indylolindylol Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    If you're looking to up your AoE potential, use Linebreaker's with Enforced Threat and Villians Menace for alot of good AoE.

I'm not sure i'd run Anvil on a tactician for anything except solo dailies maybe, but thats just my thoughts on it.
    B) LGPG Leader B)
    Indy - XB1 & PS4 - GF
    xeV Indy - PS4 - TR
    Nde - XB1 - HR
    GT: its indy time
    PSN: itsindytime
    Twitch: indygoinlive
    The Kanye West of Neverwinter
  • sadus671sadus671 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 203 Arc User
    Commanding Strike.

Higher DPS and buffs your party's attacks.
    -= Primary Characters =-

- Forge (GF)
    - Apocalypse - (DC)
    - Sadus (OP)
    - Fireball (GWF)
    - Ixian (CW)

Thank you Loadouts for allowing my toons to be all the things... they ever wanted to be....

Member of Ember Legion
  • loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    It's currently a no-brainer because CS is bugged and can return illustrious random hits.​​
  • greyhawk#1973 greyhawk Member Posts: 236 Arc User
    Only if grouped though. CS is useless when soloing. I'm sure the original poster meant for groups, but on the off chance he didn't I thought I'd mention that.
  • speedokillzspeedokillz Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    I'm not sure 100 agree with "useless." When soloing dailies, I go through my rotation and use CS on the last big/bad foe and my lion will maul the heck out of it... often killing it before I can even get a swing of WMS in.
  • sadus671sadus671 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 203 Arc User

I'm not sure 100 agree with "useless." When soloing dailies, I go through my rotation and use CS on the last big/bad foe and my lion will maul the heck out of it... often killing it before I can even get a swing of WMS in.

Or you could just use Lunging Strike and do more damage than a WMS enhanced CS from range. I think everyone's PE Solo Encounters should be Lunging Strike, Enforced Threat, and ITF. You should really melt through dailies with a good ilvl.
    -= Primary Characters =-

- Forge (GF)
    - Apocalypse - (DC)
    - Sadus (OP)
    - Fireball (GWF)
    - Ixian (CW)

Thank you Loadouts for allowing my toons to be all the things... they ever wanted to be....

Member of Ember Legion
    I'll try it for sure...

You know that quest from sharandar where you have to kill 3 formorian (sp?) warriors? I mark everything i can, drag about 5 mobs together so they are all surrounding me. ITF, ET, WMS and let lightning enchant burn the mob down to just the warriors. CS finishes each off pretty easily. I'll give lunging strike a turn just for fun!

Sometimes I get done and see a couple characters watching from outside the battle and jumping up and down. kinda funny.
    Are companion abilities considered encounters? Even if they are I agree with Forge... ItF, Lunging Strike and Enforced Threat are my staple solo encounters.

Even with the longer cooldowns on LS with my paltry 7k Recovery it's available often enough that I don't feel like it's a waste to use.

Now, in dungeons that's a different story...
  • boromir#3940 boromir Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    To answer the original question I'd say flourish. Shorter cool down than anvil but it hits harder....with the exception to half health enemies. An honorable mention to Griffins Wrath. With 4 points it hits very hard and recovery affects this skill now.

As for some fun getting groups together just follow what Indy said. I'd add though that class features to boost that rotation are combat superiority and shield warriors Wrath.

Honestly, if you are SM then WMS for groups and crushing surge for the last monster standing. For an at-will it hits like a single target encounter.
  • indylolindylol Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    @boromir#3940

Broooo... griffons wrath is a super sleeper. I'm doing some testing with ITF, Bulls, and Griffons in PvP as protector IV. Oh man does it thump people and no one expects a stunlock from a Gf.

I also forgot to mention the CS > GW > CS > GW rotation with animation canceling rips people very quickly too.
    B) LGPG Leader B)
    Indy - XB1 & PS4 - GF
    xeV Indy - PS4 - TR
    Nde - XB1 - HR
    GT: its indy time
    PSN: itsindytime
    Twitch: indygoinlive
    The Kanye West of Neverwinter
  • lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User

To answer the original question I'd say flourish. Shorter cool down than anvil but it hits harder....with the exception to half health enemies. An honorable mention to Griffins Wrath. With 4 points it hits very hard and recovery affects this skill now.

As for some fun getting groups together just follow what Indy said. I'd add though that class features to boost that rotation are combat superiority and shield warriors Wrath.

Honestly, if you are SM then WMS for groups and crushing surge for the last monster standing. For an at-will it hits like a single target encounter.

Also something to remember: If you take Crushing Pin feat then Griffon's Wrath is a good encounter to consider using as you increase your damage by 10% after using GW. It's what I use for soloing, along with ITF and Enforced Threat.
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
    Indy, agreed. I think I'd throw in a tide of iron with that GW>CS combo. But as an IV you're probably running threatening Rush.

As a conquerer spec I can never settle on a 4th feat. Cleave is useless. Adding damage and crit chance to flourish is ok. Tide of iron is dead and no one looks to do more damage with shield slam either.

So this respec I looked into Staggering Challenge. 20% more damage for Griffins and a not so often used KC boost of 10% added damage. Accompanied with crushing pin, Griffins hits like a truck. In WOD doing a dragon run 'with a large group' I run ITF, KC, GW. One maybe two rotations and it's on to the next dragon. Very fun and big numbers.

Now I know that for big mobs people like to boost damage with Villains' Menace. And I agree but I've slotted Terrifying Impact as my second daily. It procs crushing pin and does massive damage to marked targets. No trash mobs survive that skill. I'm seriously considering the feat Menacing Impact on my next respec.
    It isn't the damage boost that makes Villain's Menace so attractive... it is that grants immunity to crown control effects.

Round up dozens of trash in a place like Sharandar dailies and you could be bounced around like a pinball for 5 minutes trying to take them all out. Not with Villain's Menace. Mark them ups, round em up, ITF, Enhanced Mark, Villian's Menace and swing away like a kid smashing a pinata. Try it and you might like it :) Possible to have all of your Red Caps in one minute.
    I'm aware speedokills and I agree. Just stating that terrifying impact is a good 'second' choice for a daily. I'm the one who first posted the rotation of fray>villains>ET>LBA on here....with a twisted set>combat superiority>shield warriors wrath>conquerer capstone synergy. The only problem is that now with the rework of LBA, you've gotta actually aim your charge lol.
    I have a hard time keeping mobs alive long enough to warrant a full rotation. Even in the mod 10 zones...

I Lunging Strike into any group, excluding giants, start some WMS spam and hit Enforced Threat. Dead group of bad guys. I find it's a waste of a cool down to use ItF , unless I pop it before Lunging.

I like Terrifying Impact, but it can be hard to get mobs lined up for it, unless it's been reworked recently to be easier to aim. I should toy around with it more cause I rarely need Fighters Recovery, except in dungeons.

The only solo monsters that give me any challenge are the new giants, if I don't wreck them fast enough. For them I just put up my Shield and tank them. That's what I LOVE about my Conq GF... Great damage, but tank mode is just a click away. Albeit less of a tank then my brethren who've geared and specd for it..
  • crizpynutzcrizpynutz Member Posts: 349 Arc User

I have a hard time keeping mobs alive long enough to warrant a full rotation. Even in the mod 10 zones...

I Lunging Strike into any group, excluding giants, start some WMS spam and hit Enforced Threat. Dead group of bad guys. I find it's a waste of a cool down to use ItF , unless I pop it before Lunging.

I like Terrifying Impact, but it can be hard to get mobs lined up for it, unless it's been reworked recently to be easier to aim. I should toy around with it more cause I rarely need Fighters Recovery, except in dungeons.

The only solo monsters that give me any challenge are the new giants, if I don't wreck them fast enough. For them I just put up my Shield and tank them. That's what I LOVE about my Conq GF... Great damage, but tank mode is just a click away. Albeit less of a tank then my brethren who've geared and specd for it..

I agree with all of the above. Once the nerf to CS comes next week, I'm wondering if it will still be great to take in dungeons or if knee breaker/anvil will be better once that happens. With the state of the game, I have not had the initiative to go to preview for any reason so I'm not sure what that 3rd encounter will be.
  • rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User

I agree with all of the above. Once the nerf to CS comes next week, I'm wondering if it will still be great to take in dungeons or if knee breaker/anvil will be better once that happens. With the state of the game, I have not had the initiative to go to preview for any reason so I'm not sure what that 3rd encounter will be.

CS won't be as stupid as it is now, but it will stilll be nice.

CS is getting a slight buff to compensate: its Encounter power damage buff is getting boosted to 40%, which is not bad all things considered.

Plus, CS isn't "completely" dead if you want to use it to deal damage.

Right now, Commander's Strike scales with the DPSer's buffs/debuffs as well as the GF's buffs and debuffs. All that's being changed is that CS no longer rolls the GF's buffs/debuffs when the DPSer uses an Encounter with a CS charge (unless the GF is the DPSer hitting with the charge of CS).

So if you're still rolling around with a good DPS player who knows when to time their attacks, it can still produce some nice hits, just no longer in the multi-millions range.

As a buffing tank I will stick with CS once the change is implemented as it still boosts the whole party's encounter damage for 5 seconds.
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • jackharper#1224 jackharper Member Posts: 112 Arc User
    I prefer anvil because is little more powerful and deal additional dmg.
    In party i use only KV/ITF/ET
  • crizpynutzcrizpynutz Member Posts: 349 Arc User
    rjc9000 said:

CS won't be as stupid as it is now, but it will stilll be nice.

CS is getting a slight buff to compensate: its Encounter power damage buff is getting boosted to 40%, which is not bad all things considered.

Plus, CS isn't "completely" dead if you want to use it to deal damage.

Right now, Commander's Strike scales with the DPSer's buffs/debuffs as well as the GF's buffs and debuffs. All that's being changed is that CS no longer rolls the GF's buffs/debuffs when the DPSer uses an Encounter with a CS charge (unless the GF is the DPSer hitting with the charge of CS).

So if you're still rolling around with a good DPS player who knows when to time their attacks, it can still produce some nice hits, just no longer in the multi-millions range.
    Sounds good. They had to change CS, it was stupid, I had a 48m hit versus Gorristo with it. I mean, that's broken. I was just curious if they would nerf to Bolivia (ty Mike Tyson) or truly "fix" it. I'm a Conq spec so I'm looking for the best DPS and that is seemingly CS, AoD or KB usually. Appreciate the response.
  • lantern22lantern22 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    3.4K IV Tact here

Solo play

Encounts - Lunging Strike, Enforced Threat and ITF, I swap ET for Anvil for single target (maybe should swap out LS tho)

Group play

Encounts - Commanders Strike, Enforced Threat and ITF - if the DPS of the party is HAMSTER, then I sometimes swap out CS for AoD, for Orcus I use Lunging Strike (so I can dodge green spheres and then get back to him quickly), Commanders Strike and ITF
  • theguiidotheguiido Member Posts: 467 Arc User
    If you are still in parties, keep CS on one of your encounters, solo wise, use anvil or frontline surge or whatever floats your boat. CS will still be great after the nerf. It's a no brainer now because it's bugged, but it will still be a powerful utility buff for parties none the less amazing for boss fights and focused aggression on foes.
    Proteus
    Guardian Fighter
    TLO
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/1221446/the-future-of-the-gf/p1 Existing Problems Still In The Guardian Fighter

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/comment/12984912m
    Feat Changes I'd like to see in The Guardian Fighter
    I have been switching back and forth from CS and AoD over the last couple weeks and even soloing, seem to keep going back to CS. The damage, animation speed, and the cool-down are all better for me.
    So CS works when soloing? Like you use it to buff your encounters? I don't understand why you use it solo if it only buffs encounters. What's your 3rd encounter when soloing - I assume the 2nd is ItF?

In groups I understand it's use but you keep saying when you solo.

Thanks.
    Yes, I have use CS even when soloing. There seems to be an effect when my lion companion attacks. Maybe companion attacks are "encounter powers?"
    Meh, I find Griffon's Wrath works better for soloing than CS. My Dread Warrior doesn't do much damage even if it was affected by CS.
    Our pain is self chosen.

• dfncedfnce Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 509 Arc User
    Normally i run solo with ITF/ET/KB. You apply KB to toughest, elite mobs while clean the rest with AOE-style ET/WMS.

Buffed at-will strike chain makes its part of damage. Single-encounter bufff which CS is, has no use with such approach.

My fastest solo Baphomet burner contains two self-buffs (ITF/KC) and one damaging encounter (KB). I tried CS few times (like KC/CS/KB) but that seemed only made that fight longer.
    EX-DL-BtS / ITF-KC-KB / BF-HD-IBS / FtF-IT-ST-Dis / CA-GW-PG
    "When no appropriate rule applies, make one up."
    — (The unwritten rule)

• dread4moordread4moor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,154 Arc User
    I can't see any reason, even post-CS-nerf, to choose AoD over CS in party PvE.
    The personal DPS potential of AoD is no match for the party boost of CS, right?

And party buff is the Tactician's specialty.
    JrUzbQw.jpg?1
    I am Took.
    "Full plate and packing steel" in NW since 2013.
  • rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User

I can't see any reason, even post-CS-nerf, to choose AoD over CS in party PvE.

The personal DPS potential of AoD is no match for the party boost of CS, right?

And party buff is the Tactician's specialty.

Aye.

Conqs exist, but I'm not sure what they would do.

I tried Conq with Staggering Challenge Griffon's Wrath. It worked rather well, but may not be everyone's cup of tea.
    dfnce said:

Normally i run solo with ITF/ET/KB. You apply KB to toughest, elite mobs while clean the rest with AOE-style ET/WMS.

Buffed at-will strike chain makes its part of damage. Single-encounter bufff which CS is, has no use with such approach.

My fastest solo Baphomet burner contains two self-buffs (ITF/KC) and one damaging encounter (KB). I tried CS few times (like KC/CS/KB) but that seemed only made that fight longer.

Knee Breaker is great: it's damaging and I love seeing its animation

When I see it, I either think "THIS. IS. SPARTA!" or I think I'm kicking someone in the nads with it. It gets doubly funny if you're playing a Halfling, which means you've essentially stomped on someone's toe/shins and they take massive damage and get slowed from getting punted by a little person. XD