test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Do you like or want to be overpowered in NWO?

btairbornebtairborne Member Posts: 352 Arc User
edited October 2016 in General Discussion (PC)
From changing bonding stones, to what companions can use, to the synergistic effects of different class abilities, there has been a lot of call for change lately by loud forum personalities.

To nerf or not to nerf the current gaming experience in way that will hit the highest powered characters and anyone who ever wants to achieve it is the question.

So here is a poll of who likes (or if not there yet) wants to be overpowered to the content VS. who thinks that's not appropriate, fun, necessary or detrimental, or whatever.

Do you like or want to be overpowered in NWO? 57 votes

You like or want to be overpowered to most or all content and like this as a feature of NWO
36%
jazzfongkarakla1kingdomkey2hfleetkvetdefiantone99wylonusmok33regenerdeverdonix1dumdragonallself44lantern22urlord283divineone69reg1981nathanjmbtairbornearashjamlalpagueur#3942 21 votes
You believe the ability to become overpowered to content should be removed permanently and not be a feature of NWO
21%
magenubbiedll32execirran1bvirabeadinren047kopros666btfdfoxxy#4211deldrachsuperent666samaka#2511 12 votes
You do not care about this issue.
42%
balufunkesockmunkeysorce#8115mynaamurabaskhyakusekaiyokki1ironzerg79shadows1313arabaturrinat114shadw2012pitshaderotatorkufarcanjo86bitt3rnightmar3thefabricantlerapiso818auntjimimaplasticbat 24 votes

Comments

• Options
    thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    I no longer care.
  • Options
    kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    You like or want to be overpowered to most or all content and like this as a feature of NWO
    I vote yes. Supersize me. All your power are belong to me!!!!!

Hahahahahahaha!!!!

Edit - also, the first two posts were the other options and I felt like being punk, yo.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    I think your phrasing of poll options betrays your biases, even though you probably tried to mask them.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    aulduronaulduron Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,351 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    Since there are no decent rewards for dungeons, I don't run them, and no longer care what they do.

Oh, and the word "overpowered" is nothing but opinion.
  • Options
    ajlir#7970 ajlir Member Posts: 367 Arc User
    I don't believe in cookie-cutter builds. A master of none build suits me better.
  • Options
    lantern22lantern22 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    I voted Yes, but what I really mean is I want new content to be aimed at advanced players and challenging. I don't want to have Power that we have worked hard to get taken off us so that old content that is supposed to be challenging for 2-2.5K IL players is challenging for 3K+ players.

Hardly anyone wants to go backwards, imo anyway.
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,222 Arc User
    I don't care because I usually slow down progress (or at least no pushing it) when toon is sufficient to clear all PVE content. That usually is the time I start to play a different class.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    The poll is a leading question. It is important that players be able to gear up and outgear the current content so that they feel like they have achieved something and so the devs can design new challenges. It is not good when the gap gets so wide that the the devs can't possibly provide enough content to satisfy even a majority of players. Additionally 100% crit chance is ridiculous on its face.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited October 2016

I think your phrasing of poll options betrays your biases, even though you probably tried to mask them.

@beckylunatic Right? Whatever happened to asking the question, then just simply asking "Yes" or "No".

It's like asking, "Do you like puppies?"

Option 1: Puppies are the best thing ever
    Option 2: All puppies need to be exterminated immediately!

EDIT: But to clarify my answer...I don't care about being over-powered, but I also don't care about needlessly chasing power to become overpowered. Since module 6, I've been very casual about how I grind for power in this game, because there's no real point to self-trivializing the content. I think the last time I said to myself, "Wow, I'm going to need better gear if I want to finish this..." was probably Module 2 after facing Valindra for the first time.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    This is not a simple yes or no binary problem.

If everything scaled to players. If there was no option to stomp old content. Then there is no reason to level up. We level up to gain power, to beat up those goblins who gave us trouble before. To feel strong enough to challenge those giants that made us run in fear previously. In this regard, power is awesome. It helps us connect with our characters. To experience them develop and grow, and get stronger. The power is our reward for our time invested. I think the game offers a fair compromise on this. Yes, the scaling is bad and could be better. I think scaled content should still offer a challenge, and not be the stomp it is. But scaled content is a small part of the game. We can still go back to previous content and revel in our new found powers, and cackle madly as we burn down the weaklings who dared to confront us before.

But power at all costs is stupid. There should never be a point where the player feels they can conquer all. There should always be something bigger and stronger out there to motivate players to keep pushing forward. If there is nothing stronger to conquer. Then all that is left, is to sit on our thrones and spectate. This is where the game has failed. It offers too much power for the content. There is no reason to chase after it, other then because its there. Once you are god like, being more god like, isn't all that satisfying.
  • Options
    arabaturarabatur Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 778 Arc User
    I doubt Cryptic gives two poops about this either.
    Definitely not an Arc User.
  • Options
    hawkeyelhawkeyel Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    This just goes back to Mod.6 when they removed the caps on powers and forgot to add them to the buffs . Was not an issue before this change but has become one today. How they decide to fix this is on them.
  • Options
    asterotgasterotg Member Posts: 1,742 Arc User
    I did solo TOS with my lvl 70 char, so it is overpowered and needs to get nerfed. Just kidding. There are no overpowered chars, just a few bugs in need of a fix. BTW most of them will get fixed.

This game needs dungeons with a difficulty designed for BIS or near BIS players, no nerfs. When I run a min 1.7k IL dungeon with a 4k char, I am OP, but the problem is not, that I am OP, but that I need to run a dungeon not build for my chars IL for a decent reward.

Nerf everything, so the game is a challenge to the 3% BIS players and unplayable for the measly rest. Sarcasm off.
    Chars: CW, DC, GF, GWF, HR and TR.
  • Options
    mynaammynaam Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 937 Arc User
    Since the Class changes will always be strengthen the flovour of the month and nerf to death the ones they don't like(e.g. nerf the OP again evenhough no one wants an op tank in dungeons anymore) Ichose don't care from the 3 options available
    There are more than BIS players in this game
    RIP Real Tiamat, RIP Real Demogorgon RIP real Temple of the spider. Why remove non bis content to give to bis players ????
    FORCING the majority of your player base to play 4 mod old dungeons and trial will have a bad result on player base
    Changes are getting so bad i would rather prefer no new changes (RIP ICE FISHING in winter fest)

• Options
    wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    we need evil characters, to play Blackguard, a version of anti-paladin class.
  • Options
    hammbo1969hammbo1969 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 165 Arc User
    I've played several MMOs and it's always been the case that toon progression overtakes content. However in all but NWO that I've played to a high level (Rift, WoW) the progression is steadilly staggered with longer times between modules to provide challenge.

The fact NW allows (and encourages) power creep each module with no challenging content suits me fine, as I'm past the five hour, five night a week raiding stage and happy to potter about pawning stuff.

Not sure which of your poll options covers this...
  • Options
    tuesdayrolld20tuesdayrolld20 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 47 Arc User

Agreed. Not a well worded poll. Choices based on your title should be:

a. I like being overpowered in NWO.
    b. I like the way NWO is currently.
    c. I want to be overpowered.
    d. Neither here nor there.

A poll should offer choices for those who feel differently than you.
    Miri Droverson

• Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    I also think it's a complicated balance. I want to be powerful enough that running repeated missions doesn't take forever, and new mechanics introduced in solo-accessible quests preferably shouldn't take cheap shots at solo players, though I think it's a fine place to learn them.

But when teamed up for group content, I'd hope for a challenge. At the same time, this ties in to loot issues. With trashy loot in all content, it's easy to sympathize with players who just want to faceroll the easiest thing for the most return on their time, and get more and more powerful for even faster facerolls. Power-creep is their workaround for nothing being rewarding. More power means being able to fit in more runs for the one-in-a-thousand chance at a good drop. If rewards are balanced against challenge, players may not find it so objectionable to not be able to faceroll absolutely everything.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    bitt3rnightmar3bitt3rnightmar3 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 788 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    I don't think 'overpowered' or not 'overpowered' is the issue here. If content has rewards that are geared toward people/il that it's intended for with rewards befitting the difficulty I don't see how that is a problem. This is why I support the idea of several tiers of dungeons. Harder stuff should be more rewarding- for people who run it otherwise what is the point of character progression at all?

That is not to say that easier content shouldn't be useful to people who are gearing up. I'd like to see interesting loot for each level of dungeon/character. IE - the newbie fresh level 70 has different needs than the near BiS 3k+ person. Finding a lesser armor enchant somewhere in game would mean alot to a new level 70 but not as much to a well geared person who already has that or better, for example.
    Relmyna - AC/DC Righteous + Haste| Nadine - CW MoF (working on it)|Buffy - GF SM Tact| Hrist - Justice Tankadin|Healadin (Wannabe Tank)| Lena -MI Sabo TR (Farmer) | Jeska - GWF SM Destroyer (Farmer) | Maggie - HR PF Trapper (Wannabe DPS)
    --
    I'll never retrace my steps.

Some of my best friends are Imaginary.

• Options
    btairbornebtairborne Member Posts: 352 Arc User
    I play for power. I admit it. Once the leveling is done and the exploration is over I need a reason to keep grinding. Smaller and smaller diminished returns just isn't interesting to me. If that's how it was in NWO I would just hang it up and move on.
    At the end of spending so much time and energy grinding, which is a huge sacrifice because face it, life is waiting....I want to feel like I'm playing a hero. Or better yet Demi-God. So I don't mind being overpowered. I like being rewarded for all that.

It appears to me that Cryptic is not able to do multiple difficulties in dungeons due to low resources or because the cost is too great for the benefits. Instead they make content for the majority to be able to do, and I am okay with that. That means BIS is not necessary, just an option for the overachiever. I think it's time for people to realize that. And honestly I doubt people with BIS characters are in general very good customers anymore as they have everything already they need and have so much AD they will never need zen. Thus the key change.

So yes in an ideal game world, it's nice to have challenge always. But in a FTP game we don't have the ideal game world and design is always a business decision. What is the cost and what is the benefit dollar wise of every single feature? So if they give me the option to become overpowered to the content why not? You can always play that alt who you are still working on if you want that challenge.