test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Mod !0

jhpnwjhpnw Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 611 Arc User
For the console players mod 10 is coming And TBT you will love it HR has not been in such a good place in a long time. for a month now I spent a week in all 3 trees and 1 week in Hybrid builds. Lots of QQing and Misdirection out there don't fall for it. HR is not overpowered but is a solid player in all 3 trees so you will be able to play as you wish.

PVP

Combat gets the nod for PVP but don't let the whiners kid you. You will not be god as they say Piercing is pretty fun and gives you a chance to be a solid PVPer. But the only ones who are HR gods are the same ones that were before In Big PVP guilds. When you have 170 to 200k HPs and 40k power no matter the class you will rule. Piercing was OP at ist but now you have to work to get your kills due to all piercing attacks are dodge able and every top player has now adjusted to counter HR, learned to dodge and carry some sort of protection from Rod or other stunning Artis. We are not producing near the hits of TRs with Se that we are being credited for. Singling out HR is misdirection from other classes who were used to using HR for easy kills and frankly just troll forum . Combat is still a viable PVE with encounters like Long striders cordon and Rain of Arrows. Solo players Combat is a plus due to all the healing in full combat tree.

Trapper still ok for PVP cc last a little longer than pre mod 10 and dps is up some as well

For PVE

Trapper SW gets the nod the way trapper flows and every feat just builds up fluidity and buffs make trapper a favorite play. You can run your attacks once you have gotten used to the feel very seamlessly. Damage out has defiantly been boosted in Boss fights since most boss are CC resistant the Buffs from HR apply damage right away per rooting shot and its far easier to build up buffs as a trapper.
2nd combat and Archery are no slouches either they can rock the numbers so if you don't want to melee or like to stay close and personal you have those options also

Conclusion Trappers runs pretty much same as always with a bit of DPS boost and you now have the ability to play other trees and do quiet well also

Comments

• Options
    rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    My combat hr probably eats alive most trappers tho
  • Options
    rayrdan said:

My combat hr probably eats alive most trappers tho

I concur should win vs trapper on equal il and gear @ 4kil and same gear its a skills or mistakes match then he who screws up dies

combat is best for pvp but Trapper gets about 25% more total dps than combat with lots less work than combat in PVE
  • Options
    I mean in pve
  • Options
    jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Lol, I must just be doing it wrong in Pve.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • Options
    I m stormwarden @jonkoca . Definitely Not the best pvp setup but damage output is still good. Considering the pvp state i dont want to gimp myself for something im not even sure i have fun doing anymore.
    The trick is around a wise usage of aimed strike split strike and throw caution
  • Options
    would love to see set up as combat I can dominate DF and Tia but not dungeons
  • Options
    Clouds on the horizon, apparantly the devs are "not sure they have built the HR right yet."

Hmm.
  • Options
    mystoclesmystocles Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    I just want to say that I too think that the sw combat build is higher pve dps, however the build is more bursty because high crit sev and less crit chance... it's output is highly aoe focused and multiplies based on the number of targets your fighting... because of this and the eb and flow of the crit setup at times on single target it can rly slow down and feel like it's less dps then trapper but act says the overall dps is higher on combat in the tests i did. ( if someone has different results I'd love to know)
  • Options
    @jonkoca ???
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    NEW dev in live Stream feed said was not sure HR balance was done correctly when asked about class balancing. and that Dc was next did not mention TR
  • Options
    deterrant#6687 deterrant Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    Check Sume's Combat SW, solid work again from him, he has made videos of the build and the other is about how he wields it. He states in the videos that a Trapper SW still has higher DPS tho.

Theres another SW Combat in YT also, from a russian guy, similar build as Sumes, and hes using a lightning wpn ench, melts mobs good.

• Options
    thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    for PVE trappers are builds staying the same? do you need to stack recovery now? is it still at min/max 60 arpen and power and crit as high as possible or has that balance been changed?

• Options

for PVE trappers are builds staying the same? do you need to stack recovery now? is it still at min/max 60 arpen and power and crit as high as possible or has that balance been changed?

I found trapper the same just damage up a little on boss fights I changed nothing from original rotation but I have always had a daily in rotation

• Options
    artifleurartifleur Member Posts: 642 Arc User

Check Sume's Combat SW, solid work again from him, he has made videos of the build and the other is about how he wields it. He states in the videos that a Trapper SW still has higher DPS tho.

Theres another SW Combat in YT also, from a russian guy, similar build as Sumes, and hes using a lightning wpn ench, melts mobs good.

Sume is a great player, no doubt about it, and his skill as a trapper HR is impressive. Yet I play my combat HR very differently and find it quite effective.

It think the difference originates from the fact that his gear is well suited for trapper but not so great for combat. It seems to me that the most important aspect for combat is to keep flurry running as much as possible, while waiting for plant growth to reset. For that, you need to reduce your encounter cooldowns, and you cannot reset them the way a trapper does. To do that you can :
    - raise your recovery
    - use a lightning enchantment
    - use stormstep action
    - get serpent weave

To raise your recovery you have to sacrifice something else, namely, critical strike. With lower crit chance and no crit severity from your weapon enchantment, focusing on crit chance becomes sub-optimal and aiming for power and combat advantage becomes more effective.

In other words I think you need a completely different set of gear, and raise charisma instead of wisdom, to get the most out of combat.

While I understand Sume's reasoning for choosing Split Strike instead of Clear the Ground, there will be many fights during which, no matter how good or kick you are at positioning yourself, you will hit several targets with CtG but only one with SS. It's not like you can decide where the mobs will stand. Well, you can try influence it, but it doesnt always work.

Going back to the main topic, Combat is great for PVE. Trapper may still be better for a skilled player, but, let's be honest, playing a trapper properly isnt easy at all. I've seen a couple really good trappers in-game but I've seen many more who were doing an awful job. I would be bad at it too. Combat is a lot more straight-forward and isnt far behind it terms of damage.
  • Options
    The point of this thread is so that the console players coming up on mod 10 will know that if you are a good trapper now you will be also in mod 10 with little or no changes. Just with mod 10 you will have some more options and Combat is preforming well in PVP and PVP. I have tried every build over last 6 weeks all are viable now to some extent. Trapper played correctly is still Top DPS combat can get close. Archery can do a lot of dps but still has survival issues.
  • Options
    lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Maybe in pvp Archery has survival issues but not in pve - unless you have almost no Lifesteal. The reason I find Trapper unappealing is that there is too much free damage due to Thorned Roots. A lot of the time I would apply a root attack once and just watch as the ticks destroyed the mobs while I stood there motionless. No at-will or daily needed. Against tougher mobs in say IWD or WoD you may need to apply roots from both ranged and melee but how often do we quest there? Good Trappers are still miles ahead of the rest. My Combat HR isn't BiS (only 3.2k IL) but I was put to shame by @jaegernl 's Trapper in eToS the other day. Wasn't even close.
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • Options
    lirithiel said:

Maybe in pvp Archery has survival issues but not in pve - unless you have almost no Lifesteal. The reason I find Trapper unappealing is that there is too much free damage due to Thorned Roots. A lot of the time I would apply a root attack once and just watch as the ticks destroyed the mobs while I stood there motionless. No at-will or daily needed. Against tougher mobs in say IWD or WoD you may need to apply roots from both ranged and melee but how often do we quest there? Good Trappers are still miles ahead of the rest. My Combat HR isn't BiS (only 3.2k IL) but I was put to shame by @jaegernl 's Trapper in eToS the other day. Wasn't even close.

@lirithiel actually is sad af as only trappers can make any use of our class mechanic.
    roots are utterly worthless if your not one of them.
  • Options
    rayrdan said:

lirithiel said:

@lirithiel actually is sad af as only trappers can make any use of our class mechanic.
    True but the class would need a total rework for all three trees to make use of the roots mechanic and even stance switching in a way.

But then the HR community asked for three totally different playstyles - ranged, melee and hybrid - and that is what we got.
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • Options
    mayday#2798 mayday Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    lirithiel said:

rayrdan said:

lirithiel said:

True but the class would need a total rework for all three trees to make use of the roots mechanic and even stance switching in a way.

But then the HR community asked for three totally different playstyles - ranged, melee and hybrid - and that is what we got.
    root mech can be just removed from power menu, and added only as an effect on the rooting powers, while for class mech they can give a buff recieved after stance shift. this will be really nice.
  • Options
    Im lost why mess with trapper at all? other paths are viable now play them if don't want to play trapper. I really found combat quite enjoyable and still could do well with PVP and PVE. I like being in the mix so did not care for archery but still could do serious damage with archer just don't get party buffs due to working the edges so that needs some help
  • Options
    jhpnw said:

Im lost why mess with trapper at all? other paths are viable now play them if don't want to play trapper. I really found combat quite enjoyable and still could do well with PVP and PVE. I like being in the mix so did not care for archery but still could do serious damage with archer just don't get party buffs due to working the edges so that needs some help

thats indeed what i need, stormwarden combat with vorpal...more than good in pve, good enough in pvp.
  • Options
    axljenkinsaxljenkins Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    I just want them to bring back the old CD system. The change was not needed and unnecessary >.<
  • Options
    beerninja#1874 beerninja Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    Working on my combat HR last night and having so much fun! I can't wait until mod 10 drops for us console peasants in a couple days. Sustained damage may be mediocre but the burst damage from combat tree is just ridiculously fun
  • Options
    davidagaldodavidagaldo Member Posts: 383 Arc User
    Did you go full combat?
    Guild: Spectrum
    .. Teucer (HR) / Maximus Decimus (DC) .. GT: ApexDemon
  • Options
    beerninja#1874 beerninja Member Posts: 26 Arc User

Did you go full combat?

Yea I did a slight variation of Sume's (Sumee's? or however you spell that) combat build. I chose wilds medicine instead of lucky blades. I'm officially gimped until 8 days from now when mod 10 drops but I'm just getting a taste of the crazy burst damage and it's so fun melting face
  • Options
    ajlir#7970 ajlir Member Posts: 367 Arc User
    Is Combat really that good? I tried it on my full Combat feat (I left Throw Caution feat alone because I don't like to use it in my rotations) and all those small numbers keep piling to....well, 2nd to 3rd place (sometimes 1st but that's a special case, doesn't count) in paingiver in ToDGs. Of course, I'll get outclassed by vets but being a newly 2.2k IL HR without any runestones on me, I say it's a good start.

Just need to find more ADs to support her to somewhat acceptable damage and survivability.
  • Options
    The Combat playstyle for me is just oodles of fun and in-your-face all the time. My set-up is probably very different to most other Combat HRs out there - I stack Power and Deflect in pve - but I absolutely love it and have stuck with it since I started playing this game. I know @rayrdan is getting good mileage out of Throw Caution (without the feat) but I don't use it - I prefer damaging encounters (Thorned Strike, Gushing Wound and Plant Growth). The latter two also seem to proc Wild Hunt (from the Wild Hunt Rider companion) fairly often so I get my damage increase from that and Longstrider's.

Don't expect too much at 2.2 IL, especially without Bonding Runestones. Once you get those you'll see a massive improvement in damage.
    Our pain is self chosen.

• Options
    lirithiel said:

The Combat playstyle for me is just oodles of fun and in-your-face all the time. My set-up is probably very different to most other Combat HRs out there - I stack Power and Deflect in pve - but I absolutely love it and have stuck with it since I started playing this game. I know @rayrdan is getting good mileage out of Throw Caution (without the feat) but I don't use it - I prefer damaging encounters (Thorned Strike, Gushing Wound and Plant Growth). The latter two also seem to proc Wild Hunt (from the Wild Hunt Rider companion) fairly often so I get my damage increase from that and Longstrider's.

Don't expect too much at 2.2 IL, especially without Bonding Runestones. Once you get those you'll see a massive improvement in damage.

Throw caution is gold
  • Options
    One day boys, we're gonna have to party up and do a cn together, just to compare styles and damage. ☺