test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How to handle combat Hrs? pvp

sirrapprosirrappro Member Posts: 45 Arc User
edited August 2016 in The Militia Barracks
As the new mod progresses more hr are going towards the combat tree, and with the new piercing damage their able to take down 60% of my hp within seconds. With their damage and lifesteal they seem pretty much impossible to kill if played correctly.

Any advice on how to handle them?

Comments

• Options
    santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    Still working on it. Obviously, red circles are to be avoided. I wish Cryptic would give them their own color--separate from TRs red circles. I don't bother avoiding TR circles so much. Warlocks put out the green ones.

Outside their AOEs, do you still find them so devastating?
  • Options
    Hmm... silence.
  • Options
    rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    just stay aways from aoe and wait to land a daily.
    dead hr
  • Options
    someonediessomeonedies Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    150k+ HP, 35%+ LS

But if you met a hungry one with 60% deflect, 60% deflect severity, say Ciao!

GWF is not viable at all.
    Rimuru?
    Dead 🔪
  • Options
    someonediessomeonedies Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    Reroll to Opressor CW. Sadly this is the only viable way to handle it.
    Rimuru?
    Dead 🔪
  • Options

150k+ HP, 35%+ LS

But if you met a hungry one with 60% deflect, 60% deflect severity, say Ciao!

GWF is not viable at all.

Unfortunately, I've met some of those. If you are tanky, with a lot of LS you can survive, but good luck bringing them down. And then their friends show up....
  • Options
    toplaymoretoplaymore Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    M10 - GWF is dead.
  • Options
    gomok72gomok72 Member Posts: 616 Arc User
    I would say wait for the balance pass, every class has this type of happy moment in different mods, some last longer than others (depend on how many posts are presented, daily on this topic).
    I may not be considered by most the BEST PVP Warlock on the server but, I am the most HATED amongst them.

-Kymos
  • Options
    rinat114rinat114 Member Posts: 913 Arc User
    I specced PVP today after a few months of not doing any PVP at all, it seems pretty lost against combat HR's. You have to slot DS and if you're lucky you can two - three shot them (if you catch em at all), but the piercing damage will cut through your defenses like a hot knife through butter. Not much you can do.
  • Options
    rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    arent 99% of the players skipping crit tho?
  • Options
    rayrdan said:

arent 99% of the players skipping crit tho?

I was wondering that as well. I've never had much luck with crit in PVP.
  • Options
    jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    I've had a lot of gwfs still trying to go toe to toe with me in PvP, which is a huge mistake atm. The ones who do better trick me into blowing PG, then rush back in to whollop me something fierce while my cooldowns are ticking. A SH HR ward wouldn't go amiss either.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • Options
    bajancloakbajancloak Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 30 Arc User
    I try to avoid 1v1 against BIS Hrs now. Avoiding the red works when not slowed by a TR or proned by a GF. In some cases you just blow up and its difficult to understand what exactly happened.
  • Options
    jonkoca said:

I've had a lot of gwfs still trying to go toe to toe with me in PvP, which is a huge mistake atm. The ones who do better trick me into blowing PG, then rush back in to whollop me something fierce while my cooldowns are ticking. A SH HR ward wouldn't go amiss either.

Hey @jonkoca, could you spell out PG? Not sure of that term. Thanks!
  • Options
    Plant growth. Our biggest hitter, big circle aoe, bunch of spiky vines come out of the ground. Longish cooldown. Every HR will run with it, also probably Fox shift, and the third one varies, I run with hindering strike, a 360degree swipe, some go with thorn ward, another ranged circle aoe, and a shortish cooldown high damage strike.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    What's the best way to minimize damage from their AOEs? AOE resistance? Since the red circles are more of a debuff, I assume that AOE resistance does not work, but I could be wrong.... At this point I try to tank them more than actually fight similarly geared HRs. They can fight (within their AOEs), range attack, and stack power/deflect ignoring ARP.

I'm a little surprised that they can have multiple AOEs running simultaneously.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    There'll most likely be two, one with a domed spiky plant in the middle - thornward, ticking away off the nearest single target, adding a slight debuff as well. That one's not a serious problem, you can probably outheal it's damage, however, it will also trigger careful attack proccs, which will also trigger piercing blade ticks if it crits and magistrates consideration etc., which will in turn trigger CA. That combination might be enough to negate your self heals due to insignia and boons etc.

Plantgrowth will be centred on the HR themselves, and this is the one you immediately should sprint out of, otherwise you'll die. Basically, if you are going to get in range of an HR atm. go in with something ready to disable him first. A prone or a stun.

If you do this, the HR will have 2 options, either disable you with the rod of restraint, or knock you prone with boars charge, and then land plantgrowth, at which point you can kiss most of your HAMSTER goodbye. Just watch the HR, and see what he has slotted.
  • Options
    What tends to get me is when the HR lays a large red AOE, looks much like a TR smokebomb. Dometimes he gets a *second* one off, covering much of the fighting surface. Then his attacks (or his team's) within the circle(s) are multiplied in damage. The circle is almost exactly the same size as the node itself--making it impossible to fight on the node except for short bursts.
  • Options
    mayday#2798 mayday Member Posts: 100 Arc User

What tends to get me is when the HR lays a large red AOE, looks much like a TR smokebomb. Dometimes he gets a *second* one off, covering much of the fighting surface. Then his attacks (or his team's) within the circle(s) are multiplied in damage. The circle is almost exactly the same size as the node itself--making it impossible to fight on the node except for short bursts.

Are you sure that the circle is from a Combat HR?

All in all there are 3 red zones:
    Thorn ward - something like a little bush that will shot once per second one person in range, it is not nod-wide.
    Plant growth - long spinny vines, they come out from the HRs position and have a ”stopping” effect, Plant growth will tic every second you are within its range and affect up to 5 targets.
    Split the Sky - another dangerous red zone a big cloud that covers the entire node and deals damage to every enemy that performs an attack. it is easy to recognize it because it is a cloud from were lightnings land. it is a skill only used by Archers, but is dangerous in mass fights when you hit multiple targets at once (it will hit you for every enemy you strike with an attack).
  • Options
    It does sound like Split the Sky. I can ususally handle PG.
  • Options
    lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User

Thorn ward - something like a little bush that will shot once per second one person in range, it is not nod-wide.
    Plant growth - long spinny vines, they come out from the HRs position and have a ”stopping” effect, Plant growth will tic every second you are within its range and affect up to 5 targets.
    Split the Sky - another dangerous red zone a big cloud that covers the entire node and deals damage to every enemy that performs an attack. it is easy to recognize it because it is a cloud from were lightnings land. it is a skill only used by Archers, but is dangerous in mass fights when you hit multiple targets at once (it will hit you for every enemy you strike with an attack).
    FYI StS now does random damage to any mobs standing under the cloud of death, in addition to those mobs attackng you or your party. They somehow added that in stealthily as I was certainly unaware of it up until about a week ago.
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • Options
    mayday#2798 mayday Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    lirithiel said:

FYI StS now does random damage to any mobs standing under the cloud of death, in addition to those mobs attackng you or your party. They somehow added that in stealthily as I was certainly unaware of it up until about a week ago.
    it was posted in patch notes, StS is now really deadly.

It does sound like Split the Sky. I can ususally handle PG.

remember that if Split the Sky is from an archer, then every crit of this skill will deal an aditional amount of piercing damage (about 4.5k per crit-hit) beside the base damage.
    And as lirithiel mentioned, it will also hit a random target no matter if the target performs an attack or not.
  • Options
    hanniballa#2401 hanniballa Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    A large health pool will help, which should already have in order to avoid the TR SE one shot. Otherwise stay out of the aoe and don't make the mistake of running right up to them and trading damage. They'll hurt you if you do.
  • Options

A large health pool will help, which should already have in order to avoid the TR SE one shot. Otherwise stay out of the aoe and don't make the mistake of running right up to them and trading damage. They'll hurt you if you do.

Frankly, they only seem to hurt in the AOE. But they have enough DR/Deflect you can't do much damage, if they are BIS.
  • Options
    hanniballa#2401 hanniballa Member Posts: 74 Arc User

Frankly, they only seem to hurt in the AOE. But they have enough DR/Deflect you can't do much damage, if they are BIS.
    How much Armor Pen are you stacking if you can't hurt them? I've been chewed up by GWFs with high Armrpen.
  • Options

How much Armor Pen are you stacking if you can't hurt them? I've been chewed up by GWFs with high Armrpen.
    I used to carry 140-150 RI. Recently I dropped it to 110, which seems to work about as well on most critters, I mean players. It let me stack up a wee bit of power. But I'll experiment.