test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Basic boss mechanics

All the bosses in this game have pretty simple, straight forward mechanics, and yet I can't seem to get in to an epic dungeon without constant wipes and failures. I main a cleric. I find the healing mechanics to be more diverse and interesting than simple dps and I'm not interested in tanking. Here's what I don't get though, after you wipe to something 20 times in a row, and people are telling you "hey, this is what you need to do", and it's a simple, straight forward thing, like "Once Valindra yells 'Your soul is mine' or something to that effect, then stop dpsing the stupid dragon and dps her down so she doesn't kill a party member", why do people CONSTANTLY ignore this and just focus the stupid dragon and wipe us time and time again.

I mean really, is it brain damage? It's a simple mechanic, yet nobody except a select few people seem to get this and they are never in the same dungeon together. The few times I've ran it with friends we don't have problems, it's just done and done, but unfortunately these gatherings are rare.

Does anyone else have any idea what's the cause of such idiocy or is it that PS4 players really are that dumb?

Comments

• Options
    talon1970talon1970 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 152 Arc User
    It's more (as in real life), people need experience.
    Sure (on Pc if i am running random skirmishes or dungeons) sometimes i think by myself..."Why...Why??.....Why are they doing these????"
    So it's not only on Console, a lot of people, espaicelly dps classes are often too focused on dps'ing, instead of using braincells, or tehy are too focused on paingiver, or they are too bloodthirsty^^.

p.s. have a nice day in Fangbreaker Island when it is introduced to ps4 and you have the min ilvl from 3.1k.
    Trust me you can try it, but if you could beat the Endboss..well we'll see. :D
  • Options
    solbergxsolbergx Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    To do those dungeons every character class has to know what they are doing and have to be at a decent IL in gear score!!!
  • Options
    greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,095 Arc User
    I always keep an eye out for Valindra. And it seems 90% of the time Valindra was keeping her eye on me as I'm the one usually grabbed.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    pr3stigexpr3stigex Member Posts: 419 Arc User
    Dude there is a dragon in the valindra fight? OMG I totally missed is XD
    Lash Urzoth 3.7k GWF, Pr3sTiGe 3k SW.
  • Options
    aaramis75aaramis75 Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    Imo it's the lack of communication.

I've been in several groups where nobody talks after a wipe. Well, nobody talks at all...but that's a different gripe altogether.

The issue though is that if I didn't speak up and explain the mechanics, I'm pretty sure they'd wipe again and invariably the group would split up without anyone really understanding what they were doing wrong.
    That's the real problem here. People not understanding mechanics, but not wanting to ask about them either.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    pr3stigex said:

They are talking about Malabog's Castle, on the chance you're not joking.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    pr3stigexpr3stigex Member Posts: 419 Arc User

pr3stigex said:

They are talking about Malabog's Castle, on the chance you're not joking.
    Ill be honest I wasn't joking, but I have only ever done malabogs once and forgot Valindra is in there too.
    Lash Urzoth 3.7k GWF, Pr3sTiGe 3k SW.
  • Options
    silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    Frankly the only time this game had a semblance of freshness was mod 0-mid2 mods.. all of you who play other platforms, or missed that time period of the game, does not really have a great picture of the what the game was.

IT was harder, rewards were much more plentiful (some early SPs and Karrundux would take a hour to finish) and parties were much weaker (no lie, most poeple were happy to have r6s in slots back then) A early drop if you ddidnt need it say for a HP, AOW or HW set.. would go for hundreds of thousands of dollars (sold a aow bracer back then for 600k.. helped me get my first greater enchant)

by middle of mod 2.. everyone had r7s on everything and most people had greater or perfects now, plus 3 artifacts (or at least 2). The old content which was designed for people with r4s, and r5s on and lessers and such, started to get a little stale, but you know, were still difficult with certain parties.

Then bam.. mod 3 dropped.. more power increase, no real content for it.
    Mod 4, 5 same.. even more power creep, no re design or redoing of old dungeons and by mod 5.. everyone dropped dungeons for tiamat and dr herald run around the circles.
    Mod 6.. tried to reboot the game, but they totally tried to do to much , with too little and really messed it up. It shouldve been a real reboot, but ended up not (really bad progression trees, making the game too hard on the casual level (pve landscape) and broken (tons of things broken omg)

then mods 7-10.. more power then ever.. no real reason for it, they sold power up the wazoo without giving any new content that demanded it.

FBI kind of fulfills that, but then the gate that behind WHOLE new grinding for static gear (without any real reason but to keep certain ants busy).

The games best and biggest potential ended after Valindra's Tower was released. After that they shouldve have done a total reboot , new story lines and up the level and released new slate of dungeons.

The game is in desperate need of a new reboot and total slate of new content (5-6 dungeons, 1-2 raids , 4-5 skimrs) all old stuff should be evaporated.

This whole campaign craziness needs to stop.

Sadly, unlike other mmos that have the resources to do this, I think neverwinter is what it is..

1 new dungeon every 6 months (or sometimes far longer, or sometimes just a instance like edemo or tiamat) isnt enough really, they also gate things basically behind running them 5000 times (this is no lie, to get something good out of most stuff, that is about the # you need to run them)

• Options
    dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User

Does anyone else have any idea what's the cause of such idiocy or is it that PS4 players really are that dumb?

I'm not sure if the problem is as prevalent on PS4, but I think on PC a lot of the time there is a language barrier at play.

I often find myself trying to explain mechanics to people. When I PM them, many times I get some indication that English is not their native language, or that they don't understand that people were even trying to address them.

So maybe stupid, maybe just foreign haha.

Either way, this game does a pretty atrocious job of introducing boss mechanics. Some of them are available in the lore entries associated with certain dungeons (really??? who is going to find this given how confusing the journal is to navigate...)

Some of the more recent content (UD skrims, and a little bit of the SKT stuff) does a little bit better in terms of introducing mechanics and building on them. But original dungeons? No way. I would say that a majority of players likely don't even know that the underlying mechanics exist, because they're so used to muscling through content...
  • Options
    emilemoemilemo Member Posts: 1,718 Arc User

Frankly the only time this game had a semblance of freshness was mod 0-mid2 mods.. all of you who play other platforms, or missed that time period of the game, does not really have a great picture of the what the game was.

IT was harder, rewards were much more plentiful (some early SPs and Karrundux would take a hour to finish) and parties were much weaker (no lie, most poeple were happy to have r6s in slots back then) A early drop if you ddidnt need it say for a HP, AOW or HW set.. would go for hundreds of thousands of dollars (sold a aow bracer back then for 600k.. helped me get my first greater enchant)

by middle of mod 2.. everyone had r7s on everything and most people had greater or perfects now, plus 3 artifacts (or at least 2). The old content which was designed for people with r4s, and r5s on and lessers and such, started to get a little stale, but you know, were still difficult with certain parties.

Then bam.. mod 3 dropped.. more power increase, no real content for it.
    Mod 4, 5 same.. even more power creep, no re design or redoing of old dungeons and by mod 5.. everyone dropped dungeons for tiamat and dr herald run around the circles.
    Mod 6.. tried to reboot the game, but they totally tried to do to much , with too little and really messed it up. It shouldve been a real reboot, but ended up not (really bad progression trees, making the game too hard on the casual level (pve landscape) and broken (tons of things broken omg)

then mods 7-10.. more power then ever.. no real reason for it, they sold power up the wazoo without giving any new content that demanded it.

FBI kind of fulfills that, but then the gate that behind WHOLE new grinding for static gear (without any real reason but to keep certain ants busy).

The games best and biggest potential ended after Valindra's Tower was released. After that they shouldve have done a total reboot , new story lines and up the level and released new slate of dungeons.

The game is in desperate need of a new reboot and total slate of new content (5-6 dungeons, 1-2 raids , 4-5 skimrs) all old stuff should be evaporated.

This whole campaign craziness needs to stop.

Sadly, unlike other mmos that have the resources to do this, I think neverwinter is what it is..

1 new dungeon every 6 months (or sometimes far longer, or sometimes just a instance like edemo or tiamat) isnt enough really, they also gate things basically behind running them 5000 times (this is no lie, to get something good out of most stuff, that is about the # you need to run them)

Man that was depressing but true nonetheless
    Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream.
    Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, Life is but a dream.