test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

which companion for bondings?

rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
edited September 2016 in The Wilds
i m doing some changes to my HR since combat seems to hit for peanuts an augmented stone is not enough anymore.

my actual companions are:

purple earth archon
purple air archon
chicken (summoned)
blue siege master
blue dancing blade

im looking for a companion to put some bondings on.
i would like something nice looking, with no active bonuses specific for trapper (Paranoid delusion for example), no fire archon/shadow demon (i want some different companions from my TR), if it has recovery/crit/power as stats is a nice thing (i dont know if they exist tho)

i really want to make combat work, it does damage in pvp and a pve stat distribution is perfect there too.
would you help me?

i was thinking to: the new lion or the pseudragon, which i heard grants combat advantage making aspect of the pack a no sense choice ( 1 more passive slot avaialable)

second:: since i really dont see any reason to be PF anymore even in pvp (except for pathfinder action with negation...sooo good) @lirithiel would you help me with a sw build? i heard you are happy with your damages.

..fun fact: i just broke my keyboard trying to kill a mosquito with a punch -.-

Comments

• Options
    someonediessomeonedies Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    good looking?

well try paranoid that's not bis (coz no ring slots), but avenger equip for this pet quite cheap.

Sellsword/Neverember Guard Archer
    Rimuru?
    Dead 🔪
  • Options
    aaramis75aaramis75 Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    I previously used Air archon as my summoned on my HR, and Fire on my TR. Air I preferred as it has the melee AoE spin attack which worked nicely with my Trapper who bundles mobs together.

But these days, I'm really favouring the Fire Archon. It stays ranged, often has the AI to move out of a red area, and otherwise survives much better while throwing decent dps (while nothing as good as, say, a shadow demon).

Give Fire a try if you have the spare AD.
  • Options

good looking?

well try paranoid that's not bis (coz no ring slots), but avenger equip for this pet quite cheap.

Sellsword/Neverember Guard Archer

it seems to able to stack rising rings really fast..what s its name?
  • Options
    mayday#2798 mayday Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    it is a Sprite, there are Flame and Ice sprites, as well as just ”Sprite”
    The wizard companion is good (3 ofence slots) and sellsword is good too, but they are only for bonding proc, while the sprite has the sweet +% to ap gain.
  • Options
    Sylph; there's only 2 offensive slots (-1 slot, -6% dmg);

but the active bonus for melee spec seems like overkill.
    Rimuru?
    Dead 🔪
  • Options
    I have Paranoid Delusion on 2 characters and I love it.

Companion + Avenger Gear available for less than 500k AD. And it's Purple.
    Rimuru?
    Dead 🔪
  • Options
    jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    For a long time I had a shadow demon active, then switched to a fire archon for the rings.

Since I went back to a PvP spec and gave up on the paingiver, I got bored of having a firey doofus following me around so atm. I've resurrected my old skull. At least he's funny.

Tbh. unless you really want to top the paingiver, and have a fairly maxed SW trapper build I don't think it matters, just pick one you like the look of, and slap some bondings and rings on it. The daily stuff will melt, HEs will be easy great successes, and you won't embarrass yourself in dungeons.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • Options

have you tried paranoid delusion on a hr? since its performaces varies with the owner class
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    jonkoca said:

For a long time I had a shadow demon active, then switched to a fire archon for the rings.

Since I went back to a PvP spec and gave up on the paingiver, I got bored of having a firey doofus following me around so atm. I've resurrected my old skull. At least he's funny.

Tbh. unless you really want to top the paingiver, and have a fairly maxed SW trapper build I don't think it matters, just pick one you like the look of, and slap some bondings and rings on it. The daily stuff will melt, HEs will be easy great successes, and you won't embarrass yourself in dungeons.

the hr itself is maxed, i just need some ads to upgrade bondings to rank 12 and upgrade the companion to legendary.
    sadly i spent my last ads to buy the orcus set and 3 perfect bondings.. my fault tho i m obsessed by having 2 chars totally independent one from the other and so i dont move gear around
  • Options
    wdj40wdj40 Member Posts: 1,958 Arc User
    Here is a list of all my Companions... if you want to know specifically what they are like as a Summoned Companion just ask, I have tried and tested all of them :)

Actives :
    Blink Dog - 5% CA
    Erinys - 10% Crit Sev
    Mercenary - 165 Power&Crit
    Air Archon - 5% extra damage
    Owlbear Cub - 50% of power as damage on a non-crit

In my bag gathering dust :
    Battlefield Medic
    Harper Bard
    Warerat Thief
    Neverember Guard Archer
    Frost Mimic
    Moonshae Druid
    Cantankerous Mage
    Young Yeti
    Lillend
    Slyblade Kobold
    Redcap Powrie
    Wandering Scarecrow
    Cat
    Panther
    Ioun Stone of Allure
    Black Ice Prospector
    Earth Archon
    Neverember Guard
    Aranea
    Pig
    Fawn of Shiallia
    Alchemist Experimenter
    Zhentarim Warlock
    Fire Archon
    Bear Cub
    Con Artist
    Angel of Protection
    Rust Monster
    Dwarven Battlerager
    Shadow Demon
    Intellect Devourer
    Stalwart Golden Lion

Let me know if you want me to make any clips of any of them or if you want a detailed breakdown of any of these Companions.

Just to let you know in advance the best ones are :
    Mercenary (he procs Rising Rings the best, still broken with a Mount Bonus though, this guy still is BiS)
    Aranea (this spider women is just plain amazing with 3 different powers)
    Con Artist (3 Ring Slots and an attack with a 10% Defence debuff)
    Pig (3 Offence slots and 3 personalised item slots, also a great active)
    Harper Bard (for buffing purposes)
    Main - Rydia (HR70) - Xbox One Player only
    Alts :
    Storm (SW70), Edge (TR70), AD Farm (CW70), Grunt (GF70), Rosa (DC70), AD AD AD (GWF70), Your Mum (OP70)

Member of Q-Snipe
  • Options
    vinceent1vinceent1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,264 Arc User
    i am sitting on purple blink dog. cant compare, but he dies a lot . is it worth it upgrade to legendary?
  • Options
    wdj40 said:

Here is a list of all my Companions... if you want to know specifically what they are like as a Summoned Companion just ask, I have tried and tested all of them :)

Actives :
    Blink Dog - 5% CA
    Erinys - 10% Crit Sev

Battlefield Medic
    Harper Bard
    Warerat Thief
    Neverember Guard Archer
    Frost Mimic
    Moonshae Druid
    Cantankerous Mage
    Young Yeti
    Lillend
    Slyblade Kobold
    Redcap Powrie
    Wandering Scarecrow
    Cat
    Panther
    Ioun Stone of Allure
    Black Ice Prospector
    Earth Archon
    Neverember Guard
    Aranea
    Pig
    Fawn of Shiallia
    Alchemist Experimenter
    Zhentarim Warlock
    Fire Archon
    Bear Cub
    Con Artist
    Angel of Protection
    Rust Monster
    Dwarven Battlerager
    Shadow Demon
    Intellect Devourer
    Stalwart Golden Lion

Let me know if you want me to make any clips of any of them or if you want a detailed breakdown of any of these Companions.

Mercenary (he procs Rising Rings the best, still broken with a Mount Bonus though, this guy still is BiS)

what does it make aranea good? do you have any vid?
  • Options
    what about the priestess of sehanine moonbow? free 20% crit change should be neat
  • Options
    One more: dwarven battlerager has fast attack speed and 3 ring slots... should be fun to run with +4 brutality +4 sudden deflect and +4 sudden precision
  • Options
    rayrdan said:

have you tried paranoid delusion on a hr? since its performaces varies with the owner class
    It uses the "Rapid Strike".
    Rimuru?
    Dead 🔪
  • Options
    vinceent1 said:

i am sitting on purple blink dog. cant compare, but he dies a lot . is it worth it upgrade to legendary?

It is only worth upgrading to Legendary if the Companion has an Active that will never, ever, leave your Actives list. Also unless you can afford to upgrade more than 1 to Legendary (I wont just purely in protest of how much it costs) you want to pick a Companion that is your favourite to use.
    Alts :
    Storm (SW70), Edge (TR70), AD Farm (CW70), Grunt (GF70), Rosa (DC70), AD AD AD (GWF70), Your Mum (OP70)

Member of Q-Snipe
  • Options
    rayrdan said:

wdj40 said:

Actives :
    Blink Dog - 5% CA
    Erinys - 10% Crit Sev

Battlefield Medic
    Harper Bard
    Warerat Thief
    Neverember Guard Archer
    Frost Mimic
    Moonshae Druid
    Cantankerous Mage
    Young Yeti
    Lillend
    Slyblade Kobold
    Redcap Powrie
    Wandering Scarecrow
    Cat
    Panther
    Ioun Stone of Allure
    Black Ice Prospector
    Earth Archon
    Neverember Guard
    Aranea
    Pig
    Fawn of Shiallia
    Alchemist Experimenter
    Zhentarim Warlock
    Fire Archon
    Bear Cub
    Con Artist
    Angel of Protection
    Rust Monster
    Dwarven Battlerager
    Shadow Demon
    Intellect Devourer
    Stalwart Golden Lion

Oooo I don't know if I have a video of her... I`ll just make one if I cannot find one. Give me an hour or so :)

She is good as she has 3 Offence Slots, 3 Personalised Equipment slots with 1 being a Ring, Neck and Waist. The 3 attacks keeps the Bonding Procs up and quickly, 2 of the attacks she has are ranged... Storm Pillar and Webbed Terrain, WT also slow targets caught up in the web, pity the web is fairly small. Her 3rd attack is melee attack dealing damage and poison damage. Being a Striker she gets Power/Crit/Arm Pen as her base stats. She looks really cool and changes form in battle :)

Active is Meh but I do like seeing Zaaaaaaapp on the screen every now and then when it procs :)
    rayrdan said:

One more: dwarven battlerager has fast attack speed and 3 ring slots... should be fun to run with +4 brutality +4 sudden deflect and +4 sudden precision

Yeah he is just ok, he has a Defence slot which is a bit pants. If your going for him try the Rising Rings instead of the Sudden ones. He attacks fairly quickly so gets stacks up and you get the % of them with Bondings. Sudden Rings used to be better but now the Bondings proc and stay up with each Companion attack I find the 20-22 seconds of non-proc in long fights not to be as good any more. As the Gift procs and stays up I would rather have the Rising Rings procced and sent over :)
    rayrdan said:

what about the priestess of sehanine moonbow? free 20% crit change should be neat

I have not seen or heard of this one :(
    Alts :

Member of Q-Snipe
  • Options
    wdj40 said:

vinceent1 said:

It is only worth upgrading to Legendary if the Companion has an Active that will never, ever, leave your Actives list. Also unless you can afford to upgrade more than 1 to Legendary (I wont just purely in protest of how much it costs) you want to pick a Companion that is your favourite to use.
    I have 3 legendaries. I saw people with 5+.

Every mod something is added. Why do not pay for 15% of the stats or for the FotM?
    Rimuru?
    Dead 🔪
  • Options

wdj40 said:

vinceent1 said:

I have 3 legendaries. I saw people with 5+.

Every mod something is added. Why do not pay for 15% of the stats or for the FotM?
    I`m completely free to play, 1mil AD for 1 Legendary companion is waaaaaaaaaay too much. I have got most of my Companions to Epic and would love to test all of them at Legendary. I do not really have a spare 100 mil AD though lol.
    Alts :

Member of Q-Snipe
  • Options
    wdj40 said:

rayrdan said:

wdj40 said:

Actives :
    Blink Dog - 5% CA
    Erinys - 10% Crit Sev

Battlefield Medic
    Harper Bard
    Warerat Thief
    Neverember Guard Archer
    Frost Mimic
    Moonshae Druid
    Cantankerous Mage
    Young Yeti
    Lillend
    Slyblade Kobold
    Redcap Powrie
    Wandering Scarecrow
    Cat
    Panther
    Ioun Stone of Allure
    Black Ice Prospector
    Earth Archon
    Neverember Guard
    Aranea
    Pig
    Fawn of Shiallia
    Alchemist Experimenter
    Zhentarim Warlock
    Fire Archon
    Bear Cub
    Con Artist
    Angel of Protection
    Rust Monster
    Dwarven Battlerager
    Shadow Demon
    Intellect Devourer
    Stalwart Golden Lion

Oooo I don't know if I have a video of her... I`ll just make one if I cannot find one. Give me an hour or so :)

She is good as she has 3 Offence Slots, 3 Personalised Equipment slots with 1 being a Ring, Neck and Waist. The 3 attacks keeps the Bonding Procs up and quickly, 2 of the attacks she has are ranged... Storm Pillar and Webbed Terrain, WT also slow targets caught up in the web, pity the web is fairly small. Her 3rd attack is melee attack dealing damage and poison damage. Being a Striker she gets Power/Crit/Arm Pen as her base stats. She looks really cool and changes form in battle :)

Active is Meh but I do like seeing Zaaaaaaapp on the screen every now and then when it procs :)
    rayrdan said:

Yeah he is just ok, he has a Defence slot which is a bit pants. If your going for him try the Rising Rings instead of the Sudden ones. He attacks fairly quickly so gets stacks up and you get the % of them with Bondings. Sudden Rings used to be better but now the Bondings proc and stay up with each Companion attack I find the 20-22 seconds of non-proc in long fights not to be as good any more. As the Gift procs and stays up I would rather have the Rising Rings procced and sent over :)
    rayrdan said:

according to @thefabricant sudden rings on companions do not have down time
  • Options
    jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    I tested them on my fire archon this morning. They do have downtime. Your power spikes, then drops off. I've gone back to my shadow demon, for constant buff.

Note though, if fights last less than 8 seconds, then the ring buffs are better.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • Options
    oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User
    Ive tried the sudden ones and only get the 8 second buff. The rising ones are probably better.

I dont know how people het the sudden stuff to stay up 100 percent.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    rayrdan said:

wdj40 said:

rayrdan said:

wdj40 said:

Actives :
    Blink Dog - 5% CA
    Erinys - 10% Crit Sev

Battlefield Medic
    Harper Bard
    Warerat Thief
    Neverember Guard Archer
    Frost Mimic
    Moonshae Druid
    Cantankerous Mage
    Young Yeti
    Lillend
    Slyblade Kobold
    Redcap Powrie
    Wandering Scarecrow
    Cat
    Panther
    Ioun Stone of Allure
    Black Ice Prospector
    Earth Archon
    Neverember Guard
    Aranea
    Pig
    Fawn of Shiallia
    Alchemist Experimenter
    Zhentarim Warlock
    Fire Archon
    Bear Cub
    Con Artist
    Angel of Protection
    Rust Monster
    Dwarven Battlerager
    Shadow Demon
    Intellect Devourer
    Stalwart Golden Lion

rayrdan said:

rayrdan said:

according to @thefabricant sudden rings on companions do not have down time
    As others have just mentioned yeah there is a downtime. You can test this just by letting your Companion hit away on a test dummy and you just stare at the stats screen. The Sudden ones used to be better due to multiprocs up to 6 stacks of Companions Gift.

Now as the Gift just re-applies every time Companion strikes, the Rising ones will proc on each Companion hit and get sent over. So a few seconds into the fight and you have 285% of the Rising Ring's sent over to you as well as buffing the Companion.

Anyhoo I had a nightmare today trying to do clips, my internet has been all over the place (upgrading it soon). I did 2 clips, 1 was a complete lag fest with rubberbanding all over the place and my powers just not firing half the time. Amazingly Arenea survived more in the lagfest than the not so laggy clip.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/wdj40/video/21227737

Complete lag fest clip http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/wdj40/video/21227996

Please note these clips were just made on a spur of the moment. I did not bother to equip Protectors Comadrie Mount Bonus and other bits I could have changed.
    Alts :

Member of Q-Snipe
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    thanks for the vid, it looks cool but definitely not my cup of tea.
    Just respec'd to stormwarden btw, the lack of aoe at will was unbearable...no split strike sadly is almost totally single target.
    I will probably be back to trans vorpal too
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    rayrdan said:

thanks for the vid, it looks cool but definitely not my cup of tea.
    Just respec'd to stormwarden btw, the lack of aoe at will was unbearable...no split strike sadly is almost totally single target.
    I will probably be back to trans vorpal too

My bad, on further inspection not all of her attacks actually proc Gift I think the non-damage Webbed Terrain does not proc it. She is also fairly erratic at proccing the Rising Rings. But I think she looks pretty cool and has decent equip slots. I suggested her as she is better than a lot of Companions and nice to look at :) Also instead of talking all the time she does this kind of sigh and sounds pretty cool.

I`m giving an Epic Con Artist a run out again... Really good now since the Bonding change, with 2 Offence and 1 Defence slot. Then 3 ring slots so I put a Rising Power, Rising Crit and any old ring with decent stats in the 3rd slot. 10% enemy defence debuff from his attacks is sweet.

I use Trans Dread and sold my Trans Fey for now... Been working on a lot of items and have a Pure Shadowclad now its not bad at all, cant see a good reason to make it Trans though. Stuck my Trans Elven in my Lionsmane Gear as just cannot sell that, wont be able to PvP ever if I sold that lol.

I have seen somewhere about the upcoming changes to some of the Enchants soon, Lightning will be interesting if it lowers cool downs :)
    Alts :

Member of Q-Snipe
  • Options
    lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    As you want something different from your TR I won't suggest Shadow Demon even if I think it is the perfect choice for Combat. I haven't really given much thought to another companion but if I chose something else it has to have 3 offensive slots and a decent (not stats) active bonus. That doesn't leave many options:

Pseudodragon
    Dancing Blade
    Air Archon
    Fire Archon
    Vicious Dire Wolf
    Book Imp
    Pig (heard it is really good for GF so why not Combat HR)

Others with iffy active bonuses:

Sellsword (good debuff at epic)
    Renegade Evoker
    Young Yeti
    Neverember Guard Archer
    Phase Spider
    Paranoid Delusion (heard it sucks for HRs)
    Skyblade Kobold
    Kenku Archer
    Alchemist Experimenter
    Cantankerous Mage
    Elemental Air Cultist
    Wayward Wizard
    Cold Iron Warrior
    Aranea
    Phoera/Mystic Phoera
    Death Slaad
    Hawk
    Honey Badger (not bad but not really suited to HR)
    Tomb Spider
    Boar
    Jagged Dancing Blade
    Lillend (not bad but not really suited to HR)
    Snowy Fawn

* There could be others I missed as I was using the collections page.
    Post edited by lirithiel on
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • Options
    durugudesudurugudesu Member Posts: 555 Arc User
    rayrdan said:

more fun with 3 +4 brutality, pve wise. i dont use it tho as i dont like wasting a companion slot just for procing bondings. But since you dont like the fire archon, i have no suggestions sorry haha. XD
  • Options
    durugudesudurugudesu Member Posts: 555 Arc User
    rayrdan said:

I am not sure, but i think this companion does not proc protectors friendship/camaraderie, so i dont recommend this