Install Arc
Options

Class Balance: Hunter Ranger

124»

Comments

• Options
    dfncedfnce Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    No mention about dodge mechanics change.

From all article it seems devs found out that HR trapper is only and still effective and they try to change it. On trapper. Too much people use roots mechanics. What a surprise.

Nothing will be good happen for Archer and Combat until they get radical change in capstone.

Whenever encounter buffed, it will benefit Trapper first of all.

Nothing about boost to at-will damage.
    Post edited by dfnce on
    EX-DL-BtS / ITF-KC-KB / BF-HD-IBS / FtF-IT-ST-Dis / CA-GW-PG
    "When no appropriate rule applies, make one up."
    — (The unwritten rule)

• Options
    genjundeadgenjundead Member Posts: 372 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    dfnce said:

From all article it seems devs found out that HR trapper is only and still effective and they try to change it. On trapper. Too much people use roots mechanics. What a surprise.

Nothing will be good happen for Archer and Combat until they get radical change in capstone.

they mentioned a 30% increase in dodge distance hopefully it doesn't consume more stamina or remove dodge invulnerability frames
    their changing the trees and encounters and at wills to be useful to all trees and also not really messing with the most used encounters trappers use their will be tweaks in every encounter though but some encounters will get a big change
    Post edited by genjundead on
  • Options
    ajax0101ajax0101 Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    Please don't F up swiftness of the fox. It makes he trapper playstyle possible and fun. Sometimes you guys get it right by mistake. Don't screw it up now.
  • Options
    dfncedfnce Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 509 Arc User

dfnce said:

they mentioned a 30% increase in dodge distance hopefully it doesn't consume more stamina or remove dodge invulnerability frames
    their changing the trees and encounters and at wills to be useful to all trees and also not really messing with the most used encounters trappers use their will be tweaks in every encounter though but some encounters will get a big change
    My mistake. I looked for dodge.

PS. Distance increase is welcoming, but damage evasion mechanics with HR shift still lags behind.

Some observation for other classes (in pve).

DC/CW dodge allows you move within red zone or even towards center of red zone and still stay immune during of enemy attack. When you dodge towards NPC center, due some minimal box collision check your movement stops on center and when NPC attack done, you return to your close combat rotations much faster than people who left red zone. GWF sprint works in similar manner plus the class has Unstoppable. TR happens to be randomly vulnerable in dodge phase while staying inside red.

With HR same tactics is quick way to get hurt - HR shift immunity frame is very short.
    EX-DL-BtS / ITF-KC-KB / BF-HD-IBS / FtF-IT-ST-Dis / CA-GW-PG
    "When no appropriate rule applies, make one up."
    — (The unwritten rule)

• Options
    genjundeadgenjundead Member Posts: 372 Arc User
    dfnce said:

dfnce said:

My mistake. I looked for dodge.

PS. Distance increase is welcoming, but damage evasion mechanics with HR shift still lags behind.

Some observation for other classes (in pve).

DC/CW dodge allows you move within red zone or even towards center of red zone and still stay immune during of enemy attack. When you dodge towards NPC center, due some minimal box collision check your movement stops on center and when NPC attack done, you return to your close combat rotations much faster than people who left red zone. GWF sprint works in similar manner plus the class has Unstoppable. TR happens to be randomly vulnerable in dodge phase while staying inside red.

With HR same tactics is quick way to get hurt - HR shift immunity frame is very short.
    yeah i agree the immunity frames should be increased and stamina costed reduced by about 5% per dodge.
    an hr needs to be mobile and we need a lot of dodge to do that.
  • Options
    zyvan1zyvan1 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    Took my stormrider HR that's heavy on archery to the preview server to try out the new changes. Got to say that I'm happy with the changes. It's really nice to be able to use aimed shot while taking damage (though you need to balance the damage you take while taking aim). Makes for a nice way to quickly knock out a controlling NPC and then turn attention to the others. Switching stances (if in your feat tree) seems to make a bigger difference as well. I've been trying some of the other powers that I long ago abandoned and find that although nothing has stuck out as "OMG, I'll use THIS one now!", they are fun to slot and play around with to give some variety without ensuring instant death as before.

On a side note, saw that there were grand potions of healing (25k HP). That'll be nice considering the gradual ramp up in HP for NPCs and gear alike over the past few mods. I found myself either taking stones of health or waiting a sec for regen to kick in and there was no in-between for healing when going alone.

Looking forward to re-specing to preview more changes for the HR...
  • Options
    kitaarkitaar Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    ajax0101 said:

Please don't F up swiftness of the fox. It makes he trapper playstyle possible and fun. Sometimes you guys get it right by mistake. Don't **** it up now.

Exactly this...why would you want to mess with one of the funnest most fluid characters to play in the game? If something gets changed with swiftness of the fox you might as well just call us Control Wizard v2. Ajax0101 hit the nail on the head. By mistake you created what a lot of us think is just a truely outstanding flowing character. Please do not turn it into another boring class.

Xbox GT Shredboy
    Neverwinter Toons:
    Archael 70 HR
    Stajans 70 GF
    Member of Timed Out
  • Options
    shiva#4006 shiva Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    Is the change on the sotf final? 1proc per skill no matter how many was hit?
  • Options
    mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    How is the updates to HR. I am on the PS4 and heard about the three updates coming and really enjoy playing as a Ranger but did not create one due to a of play options. Is it viable now to be a DW ranger that swaps between a bow and DW as needed or is the trapper build still the best way to go with the update?
  • Options
    calicobillcalicobill Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 36 Arc User
    hunttar2 said:

I think I should have clarified a little more about Archery. The Archery damage is much improved, Split Shot does very good damage now if you are fully spec' d for archery and 60+ feet away from your target.

Yeah but the issue is twofold; first if you use split shot you grab the aggro, secondly if you are 60+ feet away mobs will surround you or the party will leave you. The only advantage of being 60+ feet away is in boss fight. You couldn't get 60+ feet away in most of CN for example.

• Options
    wynterhartwynterhart Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    uh no free respects after making all these changes???
  • Options
    bigblackafricabigblackafrica Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 121 Arc User

uh no free respects after making all these changes???

While I appreciate the work put into this round of Class Balancing, a respec would be nice.
  • Options
    treesclimbertreesclimber Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,161 Arc User
    My feedback:
    Thorn ward, very, very slow cast time.
    Boar charge, stuns player after use.
    Piercing blades it's indeed too powerfull.

• Options
    jhpnwjhpnw Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 611 Arc User
    You started with balance said we needed a bit more dps but with changes to trapper you gutted trapper.

Now in any long battle we cant sustain any damage cordon sezmic and plant growth are no longer doing any big numbers from buffs of other player. I am talking about cordons only doing 250k damage full buffled when before could get 570k. I run with CW and GWF that produce 700k to 900k buffed hits in same party. So really about all trapper is good for is solo play and quick battles. In CN or Tia damage is not very consistent and other classes are beating us 3 to 1 now in damage in boss fights. Pvp has improved some, but PVE is going to get us to where you wont even get invited if HR. Just put trapper back like it was I was far better than what you have done now and leave the other archer and combat with their fixes which are better for them but still screwed up. Its a shame they stopped balancing us when were just part way done. when you run solo encounters ever thing seems better its when you go into dungeons or big HEs where your damage should buff up you see your over all dps really is not there. We failed CN last night when I Have ran it with same group hundreds of times and when looking @ act logs only change was HR just not putting out the numbers. Was very embarrassing. before I was top dps and we went thru at a normal not fast pace of a 15 to 20 minutes run
  • Options
    greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,115 Arc User
    I have seen a lot of improvement with my Archer. Faster shots and more damage.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    diargom#3372 diargom Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited August 2016
    1- The problem of the HR at epic dungeons is the lack of single target damage. I think the class can get pretty close to other DPS classes at skirmishs, with a lot of mob packs. These changes wont bring any buff for single target damage. The damage of the roots could change if it hits a single target, and still the same for multiple targets. The roots are useless against imune creatures, it could low the target speed by some amount. If you whant to fit the class for end game content, we need single target damage for epic dungeons.

2- Archer and combat paths still useless. We need the six encounters rotation to deal damage. The last feat of this paragons should increase the damage of the ranged/melee, equalizing it with the trapper damage. It could even reduce the damage of the opposite weapon. Trapper build should be for players looking for a controller, not max dps, but the way the things are, it is the only viable option, and until archer/combat are worse in DPS, it wont change. Without the control power of trapper paragon and doing less damage archer/combat will never be a good choice.

Cheers.
  • Options
    awilrayneawilrayne Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    Hallo dear developers! :( :( :(

I'm playing Neverwinter as hardcore player (spending much time, PC il 3700, ps4 il 3100) and for now my feed back is as follows.

Hunter is THE MOST USELESS DPS CLASS in the game.

Every other dps class is 45-50% more DPS in every dungeon.

In any guild and in random parties all ban Hunter, we are simply prohibited from doing Master Demogorgon.

New changes from module 10 did almost nothing (very little boost for pvp, that has no importance for PvE). Moreover it had nerfed the only viable Trapper build, so we are in total ***** right now (sorry for emotions). Boost to Archer and Combat tree were not significant and those skill trees are still unplayable.

Kindly ask you, from all rangers, who are 90% time are kicked from serious epic PvE content, we need patch that will allow us to compete with others classes. That means we need MINIMUM 30-40% buff in damage.

Now hunter is most useless class in PvE. It Blows. Absolutely blows. it does 45-50% less damage than all other dps classes. Exception - Control wizard (25-40%).

Please,
    Solve the problem
    Best regards.
  • Options
    tassedethe13tassedethe13 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    awilrayne said:

Hallo dear developers! :(:(:(

I'm playing Neverwinter as hardcore player (spending much time, PC il 3700, ps4 il 3100) and for now my feed back is as follows.

Hunter is THE MOST USELESS DPS CLASS in the game.

Every other dps class is 45-50% more DPS in every dungeon.

In any guild and in random parties all ban Hunter, we are simply prohibited from doing Master Demogorgon.

New changes from module 10 did almost nothing (very little boost for pvp, that has no importance for PvE). Moreover it had nerfed the only viable Trapper build, so we are in total ***** right now (sorry for emotions). Boost to Archer and Combat tree were not significant and those skill trees are still unplayable.

Kindly ask you, from all rangers, who are 90% time are kicked from serious epic PvE content, we need patch that will allow us to compete with others classes. That means we need MINIMUM 30-40% buff in damage.

Now hunter is most useless class in PvE. It Blows. Absolutely blows. it does 45-50% less damage than all other dps classes. Exception - Control wizard (25-40%).

Please,

Solve the problem

Best regards.

Hello dear 1st poster, please tell us which guild or random party ban you from doing pve content...

Got a 3K8 hunter and nobody banned me.
  • Options
    awilrayneawilrayne Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    >
    > Got a 3K8 hunter and nobody banned me.

Platform? Please answer in private, we don't need to move offtopic in official topic.

So, do u agree with my statement that hunter blows compared to all other classes?
  • Options
    wolve67#8970 wolve67 Member Posts: 1 Arc User

hustin1 said:

This will be very interesting to try out. I've stubbornly kept my main as an archer build ever since I created her during mod 2. My bread-and butter powers today are Cordon of Arrows, Thorn Ward, and Rain of Arrows, and I typically slot Aspect of the Falcon and Aspect of the Pack. Needless to say, her dps is mediocre at best, even with an iLvl of 4.2k.

One of my biggest gripes is how non-trappers had their survivability eviscerated with mod 6: we lost our regen during combat, and with no (repeat: NO) crowd control it was something we absolutely relied upon.

How did I deal with this? By ramping Defense all the way up to Ludicrous Speed(tm). Thirty-thousand defense, courtesy of a chicken with R12 bondings (indeed, R12' everywhere) and Loyal Defender gear. Having my augment (out of necessity) slanted so heavily toward defense also, I would note, causes a huge loss to dps (economists might term it an "opportunity cost").

Today nearly all of my toons have the Drowned weapon set, and unless something similar comes along, they are weapons that I will never, ever, EVER give up. They're too important.

Insane levels of defense like this shouldn't be necessary, but they are in T2 dungeons. Trust me on this -- I've taken Thia to plenty where there was another (normally-specced) HR there, and the difference in survivability was like night and day. Unfortunately for me, the difference in dps is also like night and day, and not in a good way.

i just dont agree with you, i am a solo build hr trapper and i dont worry about defense. i solo dungeons quests epic dungeons instances and many more stuff... i dont do pvp not my type of gameplay. ugess ill post my build here alter =D.
    He was speaking for everyone that ISNT a HR Trapper. Personally I find the trapper playstyle dull as can be and he is right, the only way to not get completely trashed after level 68 is to either spec EVERYTHING into defense. Or switch to a trapper. I am glad that they are attempting to change this.
  • Options
    flyingleonflyingleon Member Posts: 451 Arc User
    I can not believe still so many HRs are complaining from PVE point of view.

Join the Greycloaks

Ana-GWF SM Destroyer | Farseer-CW MoF Renegade | Leon-GF SM Tactician
    Adrik Battlefate-DC DO Virtuous | Cassi Woodsheart-HR PF Trapper
  • Options
    hatchetryda29#9046 hatchetryda29 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I started as a HR archer because I wanted to be a ranged character. Then i saw where i stood on the dmg in dungeons and hiw difficult it was to survive solo. So i went online found a guide and built a solid trapper. Now everything is getting changed. My question is with all the reworks your doing to multiple classes not just HR are players gonna be given a free respect token to readjust there points?