test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Art Developer Blog: Environment of Bryn Shander

strumslingerstrumslinger Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,724 Cryptic Developer
Jeff Miller, Environment Artist on Neverwinter, here to talk to you about one of our new zones for Neverwinter: Storm King’s Thunder – Bryn Shander.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/10074183-art-developer-blog:-environment-of-bryn-shander

Call me Andy (or Strum, or Spider-Man)!
Follow Neverwinter on Twitter: NeverwinterGame 
Like Neverwinter on Facebook: Neverwinter

Follow me on Twitter: StrumSlinger

Comments

• Options
    treesclimbertreesclimber Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,161 Arc User
    Hello Jeff, so far from what i've seen from preview Bryn Shander looks really good, could you please enable solid contact between frozen dwarves and players so it feel more realistic?

• Options
    instynctiveinstynctive Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,885 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    It looks great, I think.

I'm not typically one to complain about how the computer screen "hurts" my eyes, but after a few hours there, I had a whale of a headache.

I live in Caer-Konig. I know what wind-swept snow looks (and feels) like. Not really what is being presented on this map, I'm afraid. Less white and more.. grey, because the snow will also block light from the sun.
    header.png
    "...I grab my wiener and charge!" - ironzerg79
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    In a blizzard, yes. And if storm is the desired effect, then the palette should be dull.

Where I come from, winter cold and snow is often accompanied by bright sunlight. It can be literally blinding (as in, you need eye protection from the glare). I'd caution that this visual effect is probably not one you want to subject your players to though, and the Ten Towns are close enough to an ocean I would expect them to have very grey winters.

Stark whiteness is familiar to me, but maybe not so "realistic" here.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    instynctiveinstynctive Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,885 Arc User
    Typical Northern Maine snow "dusting". I think we got only 6 or 8 inches on that one.

Gloomy. Grey. And only a few months away. :-(

header.png
    "...I grab my wiener and charge!" - ironzerg79
  • Options
    mistranmistran Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    After a while testing it, i got a major headache from the colors.
  • Options
    lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    I can tell you right now after seeing a couple of screenshots from preview and the ones included in the blog that if the white haziness of Bryn Shander goes through to live I will not be playing the new content. It looks terrible and is likely to give me a major headache as others have experienced.
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    Like I said, inducing snowblindness in players is probably not the best way to pilot hyper-realism in NW.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    two30two30 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,168 Arc User
    Daylight in Bryn Shander is a missed opportunity. Night in the arctic is beautiful.

We already have 2 daytime arctic zones (Icewind Pass and Dwarven Valley) and 1 daytime alpine zone (Icespire Peak). Give us some spooky darkness and shining auroras.
    Neverwinter Tools for evaluating boons, mounts, dyes, etc.
  • Options
    brun2000brun2000 Member Posts: 244 Arc User
    I agree with what people are saying here, the map has way too much brightness, it does not contrast well with the environment and can make your eyes hurt after a while wich is really a literal "turn off" from the game for many people when that happens, sicne it stops being fun and turns out to be more of a burden.
  • Options
    valcontar73valcontar73 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    I'm guessing what the answer will be, but... there will be new assets for the foundry?

And please, this time don't break any winter map available on the foundry...

"Detailed Snowy Mountain map, still broken since Icewind expansion..."
    NWS-DLXTNXRF2 - Angeline von Stein
    NWS-DOVA9JIJV - The Lost Seneschal
    NW-DT3221YUY - The Wildcross Bride

Foundry Grand Master.
  • Options
    reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    nice, any of it is coming to the foundry? we haven't had much new assets in years!
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User

I'm guessing what the answer will be, but... there will be new assets for the foundry?

PLEASE! You don't even have to "work on" any foundry bugs -- just add some graphic model assets!
    How hard could it be to simply add a model name to a dang database.