test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

On proposed upcoming changes to HR

feanor70118feanor70118 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,170 Arc User
edited July 2016 in The Wilds
In my opinion, the changes proposed look like they were designed by someone who has never played the HR class and never read the HR class forums. Also, unfortunately, it looks as though no one tested the changes for their effectiveness.

What the class needs is serious help in pvp. Most classes are control immune most or all of the time. Thus HR powers have no effect on them at all. Our two highest damage abilities, gushing wound and plant growth, are each useless in pvp. The first because its animation is far too long and only useful against a stationary target, the second because its ranged counterpart, cordon of arrows, has no application in pvp at all. The class has no real burst damage and is at a disadvantage against every other class in a BiS-level pvp match. Even CWs not wearing elven battle enchantments hop around blithely ignoring an HR who is constantly applying roots and dazes. The proposed changes do absolutely nothing to remedy the total pvp imbalance against the class.

We need dodges that actually dodge control effects (and ice knife). We need control mitigation against the ludicrous, no-skill, overpowered prones of GF and GWF and the absolutely absurd length of the Courage Breaker slow effect. We need a fix to Forest Ghost so it actually works in combat and its stealth duration isn't largely consumed by its animation. We don't want damage added to Marauder's Escape, we want to not be targeted through it. The proposed changes do nothing to remedy any of this.

No one in the HR community cares about changes to Ambush/Bear Trap or Commanding Shot. We don't use those abilities. We certainly don't need a class aspect that applies to only those useless, unused abilities. We don't care about changes to Aimed Shot because we don't use that ability either. We don't care about a buff to Cold Steel Hurricane because few of us play stormwarden and that ability is useless except against dragons.

We don't care about a buff to Split Strike if you aren't including Split Shot (also, given how pathetic the damage from HR at-wills is, 40% is a small fraction of the amount necessary to make it relevant). The buff to Oak Skin would be nice if it made any difference, but by report it heals under 2000 HP in pve and under 1000 in pvp.

Please go and read the HR forums for better suggestions than any of the changes you've proposed. Why not actually ask the community for suggestions the way you asked TRs in mod 4 when that class was largely ineffective? We aren't asking to be overbuffed into a no-skill joke the way TRs have been since mod 5, but we'd like to be relevant in pvp again. We'd like to not have to outplay a GWF, GF or TR ten to one just to stay alive on a node long enough for backup to come, with no hope of actually killing the opponent. We'd like to actually be able to do damage to other classes the way they can do damage to ours. We'd like our control abilities to actually be effective in pvp. When we dodge, we want to actually dodge (and by the way, we've been asking for the dodge to be enlarged for a long time, since it remains too small to get out of many AOE effects including Sure Strike).

Adding charges to our encounter abilities is simply obnoxious. What should be done is removing the charges from hindering shot and shortening the absurdly overlong refill time of Cordon of Arrows.

Above all, please reconsider the ENTIRE list of proposed changes, go back and look at what those playing the class actually want, and show that you're listening. The interim patch notes show no evidence of that at all.
Post edited by feanor70118 on

Comments

• Options
    lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    As was posted in the relevant thread, they didn't do much to convince HRs that Archery or Combat are worth switching to for those that aren't die-hard followers of said trees. While I welcome the change to Aimed Shot (it was a long time coming), I see no reason to start using it over Rapid Shot in my build. The dev did say that what was revealed is only a small portion of the changes proposed (100+ he said), the ones he focused on aren't all that spectacular. We don't use those powers because they are terrible in design (whether by animation or implementation) and the changes aren't making me very excited.

The one area that may increase my damage output is the increase of Rain of Arrows' radius. It's also a change we have been asking to be made for a very long time so I welcome that. But other than that, I see no reason to swap out the current powers I use, which are: Rapid Shot, Split Shot, Rain of Arrows, Longstrider's Shot, Cordon of Arrows, Seismic Shot and Forest Ghost. If Hawk Shot deals decent damage I may consider that, but as it stands, not much has changed for me as an Archer. And what about my poor Combat HR? Doomed to soloing dailies for another mod?
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • Options
    vinceent1vinceent1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,264 Arc User
    agree with all

100+ proposed changes and we dont hear about nothing significant for pvp till now. even cryptic cant be so low, if its true. PS2 money should be nice but they get unbalanced issue too one day...
  • Options
    gilbertojhungilbertojhun Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    @strumslinger read this thread plz... We dont want to be overpowered, we want changes on archery and combate trees to be viable.
  • Options
    vinceent1vinceent1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,264 Arc User

@strumslinger read this thread plz... We dont want to be overpowered, we want changes on archery and combate trees to be viable.

all trees will be maybe fine at pve, we talk about none of them (including trapper) is viable in pvp (i expect they deny permaroots builds)
  • Options
    jhpnwjhpnw Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 611 Arc User
    Read the HR class balancing by Strum and lets wait to see what really happens
    part of his thread

In many cases, when you have 1 stand-out power that leads to only 1 build being viable, the answer is to nerf that power/build. However, that was not the case here. When we looked at the Thorned Roots build relative to other classes, it was still not quite good enough. This meant the other builds were in need of some serious help. We did a review of the entire suite of Hunter Ranger powers, and compared them with similar abilities from other classes, and found that most were lacking. Almost every single Hunter Ranger power is getting some changes in the upcoming expansion. One of the most common changes you’ll see – almost across the board, the “base damage” of all ranged powers was doing less than it should. “Base damage” in this case is the damage a power does without including your weapon damage. You’ll see a lot of patch notes like this:
    •Binding Arrow: Increased the base damage of this power by ~67%. This means players with low-quality gear will see as much as a 10% DPS increase, while players with high-quality gear will see a much smaller increase.

I’ll rapid fire a handful of other powers changes here:
    •Ambush: The Ambush effect is no longer cancelled by movement, and targets damaged by your Ambush now take additional damage from your Encounter powers for 5 seconds.
    •Binding Arrow: Damage dealt to secondary targets now receives full damage bonuses from the caster. This includes critical hit damage, however, the secondary hit will not be considered a separate critical hit.
    •Commanding Shot: Reworked the debuff this power applies, and reduced its duration. Reduced the damage debuff component to 10%, down from 15%. Changed the defense component from lowering their defenses by 15% to increasing the damage they take by 10%. This changes where in the formula the damage increase takes place, and this power can cause the target to take increased damage even if you have enough Armor Penetration to completely ignore their Damage Resistance.
    •Forest Ghost: Can now strike the same target once per second, instead of only once per activation.
    •Hawk Eye: No longer grants 15% bonus damage on the next shot. Instead, it grants 15% bonus damage to all Encounter powers for 5s. Allies still receive this new buff at 50% effectiveness.
    •Hawk Shot: Changed the way this power clamps damage based on range. Previously, in order to deal maximum damage, you actually had to be at 80' (or further, with Aspect of the Falcon), and the damage kept getting smaller until you were almost touching the target. Now, the minimum damage is dealt to anyone within 20', and the maximum damage is dealt to anyone 60' away or further. The minimum damage has been increased greatly.
    •Marauder's Escape: Now fires off 3 quick shots straight ahead as you are jumping back.
    •Shift: Increased the distance of each shift ~30%.

As mentioned, this is just a small chunk of the total changes, so be sure to check out the test servers for more info.

So I say wait before we cry the sky is falling
    Ara
  • Options
    gilbertojhungilbertojhun Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    null

I was talking about both pve and pvp. Lets wait for oficial patch notes and hope they add some changes to archery and combat feats.
  • Options
    krondhorkrondhor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 150 Arc User
    There is no release date announced yet, but looking at past years when they launched the summer module, it will be somewhere in august most probably.
    GRAVITY X GAME
  • Options
    s1lv3rdrgnforums1lv3rdrgnforum Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 264 Arc User
    A "charge" has been added to steel breeze (3 charges/15s refill) (to try and make it less attractive?)
    Bedlam: Creating chaos as a MI Exec TR
    Avariel Merilwen: Burn baby, MoF/Rene
    Aejun The Silver: Devoted to Healing, DevOP/Justice
    Mina Rosepetal: Super Natural, Pathfinder/Melee
    Frost: Benchwarmer, Soulbinder/Fury
  • Options
    dmcewendmcewen Member Posts: 279 Arc User
    Well now that binding arrow no longer procs roots, constricting/steel breeze is going to be a must. The only other power that procs strong grasping roots now is hindering strike if I'm not mistaken, another power with charges :(
    Guild: Ruthless
    Character: Vendetta
  • Options
    ralexinorralexinor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 576 Arc User

A "charge" has been added to steel breeze (3 charges/15s refill) (to try and make it less attractive?)

This is to kill the permadaze rotation. I believe it still works somewhat but after 2-3 rotations (which do peanuts for damage anyway), you can no longer sustain permadaze. In theory. I ain't reinstalling a dead game.
  • Options
    hawkendhawkend Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    Perhaps, there is a chance to have permadaze without using Steel Breeze. Problem is only one because if you wanna achieve this, you need have 2 allies around you to proc Swiftfness a few times by Fox Cunning. I saw that we're missing actually only cd on melee encounters because Fox Shift and Hindering Strike should reduce cd enough on ranged encounters.
  • Options
    lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    dmcewen said:

Well now that binding arrow no longer procs roots, constricting/steel breeze is going to be a must. The only other power that procs strong grasping roots now is hindering strike if I'm not mistaken, another power with charges :(

You are indeed mistaken. Hindering Strike does not have charges and won't have with the proposed changes either.
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • Options
    durugudesudurugudesu Member Posts: 555 Arc User
    lirithiel said:

dmcewen said:

You are indeed mistaken. Hindering Strike does not have charges and won't have with the proposed changes either.
    maybe he meant the ranged version of it is the one with charges. It's what i understood from it at least
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    I did indeed mean the ranged version had charges, I just didn't use the best wording. I currently use hindering/constricting/cordon, in a longer fight I have gaps on the ranged side. A charged power on the meele would mean more atwills, not exactly what I prefer as a trapper.
  • Options
    feanor70118feanor70118 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,170 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    At the time I posted this I obviously wasn't aware of: http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/10070263-class-balance:-hunter-ranger

However it doesn't change my mind much. If there are over 100 patch notes, let us see all of them. If we have the patience to keep playing HR we have the patience to read.

The lengthened dodge is nice. So that's 3 items out of 100 that seem to have been written with an actual ear to the complaints of this long-suffering class.
  • Options
    How nice of them to cap just about everything at 5 enemies :(.
  • Options
    kangkeokkangkeok Member Posts: 1,123 Arc User
    cant wait for the new hawk shot..bye bye longstrider from my encounter slot :P
  • Options
    urabaskurabask Member Posts: 2,923 Arc User
    edited July 2016

No one in the HR community cares about changes to Ambush/Bear Trap or Commanding Shot. We don't use those abilities. We certainly don't need a class aspect that applies to only those useless, unused abilities. We don't care about changes to Aimed Shot because we don't use that ability either. We don't care about a buff to Cold Steel Hurricane because few of us play stormwarden and that ability is useless except against dragons.

We don't care unless it becomes better than Aspect of the Serpent and/or Aspect of the pack.

The vast majority of us don't care about PvP either.

What most people were asking for was buffs to Combat and Archery so that they weren't pigeonholed into Trapper.
    kangkeok said:

IDK about that. Longstrider is still a better party buff and people will be looking for it after the GF nerfs.
    I8r4ux9.jpg
  • Options
    urabask said:

We don't care unless it becomes better than Aspect of the Serpent and/or Aspect of the pack.

What most people were asking for was buffs to Combat and Archery so that they weren't pigeonholed into Trapper.
    kangkeok said:

IDK about that. Longstrider is still a better party buff and people will be looking for it after the GF nerfs.
    Longstrider is a good party buff but the new hawkshot does aoe dmg now with hawk eye for party buff...all in one package :)
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    urabask said:

The problem isn't so much Archery/Combat as Trapper overperforming. From the looks of the patch notes, they STILL haven't nerfed Swiftness of the Fox and Thorned Roots, f-m-l. The HR base class is weak at best, therein lies the problems more so than the feats. Oh yeah, and again, Swiftness/Thorned Roots.
  • Options
    thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    Hawk Eye will be getting a nerf most likely, its currently not working as intended and blatantly overpowered (able to 1 shot bosses easily on preview.)
  • Options
    urabaskurabask Member Posts: 2,923 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    ralexinor said:

urabask said:

The problem isn't so much Archery/Combat as Trapper overperforming. From the looks of the patch notes, they STILL haven't nerfed Swiftness of the Fox and Thorned Roots, f-m-l. The HR base class is weak at best, therein lies the problems more so than the feats. Oh yeah, and again, Swiftness/Thorned Roots.
    Trapper is on par with other DPS classes (or at least not outperforming them significantly). If by your definition Trapper is overperforming you're basically asking for HR to become the red-headed stepchild of DPS classes.

Also, they *buffed* thorned roots so ...
    kangkeok said:

urabask said:

kangkeok said:

Longstrider is a good party buff but the new hawkshot does aoe dmg now with hawk eye for party buff...all in one package :)
    Longstrider is a 40% buff to party damage ...

It's one of the best party buffs in the game by a longshot now. Kind of boggles the mind that they decided that HR gets to keep a buff that's better than ITF.
    I8r4ux9.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Hawk Eye will be getting a nerf most likely, its currently not working as intended and blatantly overpowered (able to 1 shot bosses easily on preview.)

Yea..well its a good thing if they fix it..at least we dont have a broken power..but still hawkeye/hawkshot is still worth to replace longstrider in dungeon run for archer since mob die pretty easy. The only place where i will put longstrider to use will be raid like instance like tiamat or demogorgon. So i will have to say bravo to developer to balance out the power we have, making them usefull in different situation.
  • Options
    urabask said:

ralexinor said:

urabask said:

Trapper is on par with other DPS classes (or at least not outperforming them significantly). If by your definition Trapper is overperforming you're basically asking for HR to become the red-headed stepchild of DPS classes.

Yeah, I'm aware they buffed Thorned Roots, which I don't agree with.

Trapper is overperforming compared to Archery and Combat is what I mean, not overperforming as a whole. As I've stated countless times, it's because of Thorned Roots being in some cases a more than 100% damage boost, and the cooldown reduction feats which is something the other paths don't have. I can deal with Thorned Roots existing, but unless you also give the other paths some sort of insane damage boost, Trapper will continue to be fotm. And honestly, don't you think it'd be easier to buff all around base damage by 30-50% or so, nerf swiftness/thorned, than giving a 100-200% damage boost to feats to compensate on the Archery and Combat paths?
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    urabask said:

ralexinor said:

urabask said:

kangkeok said:

urabask said:

kangkeok said:

Longstrider is a 40% buff to party damage ...

It's one of the best party buffs in the game by a longshot now. Kind of boggles the mind that they decided that HR gets to keep a buff that's better than ITF.
    Yes..longstrider buff is a good buff but slotting it into ur encounter depend to the role u wanna play..whether to play as support or dps. Its a choice. If ppl is asking for it, i will be gladly put it into play. :)
  • Options
    durugudesudurugudesu Member Posts: 555 Arc User
    HRs were always a self supporting middle class, not too much burst dps(low itemlevel at least), not too melty. with longstrider buff left untouched and buffed gushing wound even, It really will be the most sought out class now after the upcoming changes.
  • Options
    jhpnwjhpnw Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 611 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    As a trapper I was just happy to get out of the rework with out being destroyed. The new dodge will help. the new steel breeze is actually pretty nice it does more Damage per shot than the old did so you just get a couple extra shots if needed and in pvp I see it working out for me as a extra hit in melee while doing the bunny hop thing. Just sad they really did nothing boost our damage in PVP. It is very frustrating to out play so many other classes and cant kill them.
    Ara

correction after testing more Steel breeze leaves holes in encounters due to cool down is affected new steel breeze is a bust for me I actually died in WOD trying to kill cult patrol due to when again dragon rider solo could not recover encounters faste enough as I did before
    Post edited by jhpnw on