test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Are Skirmishes just THAT unpopular or is this due to too tight of level restrictions?

jyotaijyotai Member Posts: 44 Arc User
I've basically been in this queue for about 4 hours now:

It was even worse when I did Pit Fighter above it - for both of the characters in that level band. I had to leave m GF sitting in town AFK all night last night because I hit one below the level cap before the queue popped...

On the other hand since Dungeons have no level cap I keep getting groups for those with one level 60-70 with a speed boost who kills the entire dungeon before I can even reach anything...

(I think dungeons scale them, but they still seem to move so fast no one else can keep up, and they one shot mobs as they run past them...
PST timezone older player. Mostly play tanks and healers. Don't game outside of MMOs.

Comments

• Options
    elrondknightelrondknight Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    jyotai said:

I've basically been in this queue for about 4 hours now:

It was even worse when I did Pit Fighter above it - for both of the characters in that level band. I had to leave m GF sitting in town AFK all night last night because I hit one below the level cap before the queue popped...

On the other hand since Dungeons have no level cap I keep getting groups for those with one level 60-70 with a speed boost who kills the entire dungeon before I can even reach anything...

(I think dungeons scale them, but they still seem to move so fast no one else can keep up, and they one shot mobs as they run past them...

I see that you are waiting on Garrundax. I remember when I was lvling that was the turning point in the game. Up til then everything was "run around & smack stuff til it dies." Garrundax was a game changer... it required a little skill, a little knowledge of your role in the party & a lot of co-operation. Many ppl failed a few times b4 the got it right. It may still be unpopular for that reason.

• Options
    oliboypholiboyph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 627 Arc User
    It's not just the skirmishes that are unpopular, it's all leveling dungeons as well. No one queue for those anymore. temple of the spider is the only leveling dungeon that people still queue for to farm RAD. For Skirmish, people only do Underdark skirmishes.
    "As the good archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself." -Danilo Thann[/quote]
  • Options
    jiubiizeekkjiubiizeekk Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 144 Arc User
    There is no new players almost everyone you see running around your level has atleast been playing for a coupple months.
  • Options
    zibadawazibadawa Member Posts: 1,266 Arc User
    It's pretty easy to just level right past that level range without even realizing there's a skirmish available.

Skirmish rewards before level 60-ish are kind of garbage, anyway. Garrundax has a CTA event for it, so you could always wait for that to come around again.
  • Options
    two30two30 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,168 Arc User
    I leveled my most recent character back in March/April. I made sure to complete each skirmish once. While my character waited for queues, I read through two novels. The system needs improvement.
    Neverwinter Tools for evaluating boons, mounts, dyes, etc.
  • Options
    santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User

There is no new players almost everyone you see running around your level has atleast been playing for a coupple months.

Or a couple of years, on other characters. Why do you think this is such a bad period for new players?
  • Options
    samaka#2511 samaka Member Posts: 568 Arc User

Hi, my partner and I are new players, just started this month actually! :)

So, there are at least two new players around, and I am sure there are some more out there!
    @samaka#2511
  • Options
    ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    This isn't the glorious mod 2 era.....

No more fun for you.
  • Options
    Of the factors that got me curious about checking this out again was a claim that there were a lot of new people, and had been since it went to steam. I certainly see a LOT of levelers. In the zones it has yet to thin out, but I gather this is from spinning up and down shards as people zone through (I think).

And yeah, I want to make sure I get the achievements for them all, so these are ending up as level blocking issues.
    PST timezone older player. Mostly play tanks and healers. Don't game outside of MMOs.
  • Options
    lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    All skirmishes should be available at lvl 70 as a heroic version, the same difficulty as Kessell's Retreat and Isle of Tuern (not that they are that challenging either anymore) but at least worthwhile running. I would do a different skirmish every day for my ADs if more than just two/four (depending on your outlook) were available at max lvl.
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • Options
    spike#5569 spike Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    As a 70 i would love to do an epic version of all these skirmishes, not just three days a year. Even an option to solo the lvl ones would be fun. I'm quite sure both my toons missed a skirmish or two. Combine the low number of new players with the ridiculous speed of leveling below 60 and they are easy to miss.
  • Options
    Yeah that took forever for the queue to pop:

Took a day or so, but queue finally popped for Garrundax and it was pretty easy to "semi-tank". A few control-casters that chain shutdown your abilities (which I gather everyone here knows, but I didn't know in advance), but once I had aggro they just bounced me around the field like a football while my cooldowns kept me at max health... which is pretty much the job of a tank anyway I guess. :)

Obviously not great tanking as the others have high damage taken too. There was at least one GF who was putting up marks on things so locking down aggro wasn’t easy.

(I like to lock down aggro so I can face things away from the group. A ‘classic era WoW’ move that even most WoW tanks don’t do anymore, and I rarely see in any modern MMO. But once done, you can usually keep damage others take down to a minimum. Only place people seem to be ‘aware’ of this these days is Wildstar - where you are highly mobile like you are here, but ALSO need to focus on facing).

I think this was actually the third or fourth time the queue popped on me, but the ones before it happened when I was glancing away and I'd come back to the screen too slow to hit enter, or somebody else would cancel out...
  • Options
    deathbeezdeathbeez Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 789 Arc User
    lirithiel said:

All skirmishes should be available at lvl 70 as a heroic version,

That would be great.
  • Options
    deathbeez said:

lirithiel said:

All skirmishes should be available at lvl 70 as a heroic version,

That would be great.
    Only if they fixed level scaling.

Right now when I do dungeons it has been a poor experience all but once. The higher level characters steamroll over the content and the lower level ones just follow behind and click on loot... Often the higher level character has a speed boost so gets so far ahead we can't see them anymore... But even when I do catch up, its a miracle to even be able to get a hit in on anything.

The one good experience was a group at level, and I got to see what the dungeons were designed to feel like. That was last night... but it was somewhat spoiled by trying out the voice chat application 'Discord' that cut my FPS down to a mere third or less of normal (so laggy I was often moving in the wrong direction or targeting empty air...)
    - so the challenge was there, but that dungeon had other issues.
  • Options
    greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,100 Arc User
    If I run and I am the highest level character there, I don't run ahead, I make an effort not to be the one to kill everything. Went into Cragmire with a level 60 GWF and managed to level, so the rest of the party ran ahead while I changed gear, added power and feat points.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    Most annoying thing in the world are the people who drag their feet and refuse to move through a dungeon.

If you want to get a better feel for AT level things, then you need to create your own at level groups for that content.

Otherwise, you will never get that actual feeling. You will just make other people miserable by your actions.

After you run something a few times, you run things for AD.

I get enough of the skirms during CTAs, I wouldnt run them again per se, and KR is the best skirm and will be the best skirm. You get the free salvage, skirm AD and black ice, and a chance at a artifact you can sale for 300k or so. The other skirms do not give you the free salvage piece, nor do they replenish black ice. They do have a chance at a lantern, cataloge, waters, but they are pretty rare (so doesnt the non epic dungeons as well actually)

Its also the only one that pop by itself, so you can be doing weeklies and wait for it.

Skirms are like anything else in this game, they are fairly easy, pretty unrewarding in the end , so you either do them randomingly or not at all.

Elols are still the fastest way to make AD, followed by etos and CN. The less you run actually the more CN earns for you, say you only have time for two dungeons at all a day, CN will most likely give you more, but if you are running 10-12 a day.. then elol usually is, as per min AD will net you higher in elol .

After you have already run everything 1-2k+ times, its not like you care about the content, you just need to feed the AD machine.

I simply will state this again, this game needs ALL new slate of content, new bosses, new mechanics, new everything, and generally ramped up.

It would be nice if they could do that twice a year actually like many other mmos manage to do.

But if they cant, then they could at least add new tiers on everything.

If they add skirms to end game, I want them really redone, amped up and give a free salvage at least. Otherwise they will rot around with no one doing them.

The vast majority of players, play to progress, yes there is always a minority that doesnt, but they are that.. a minority in the game.

• Options
    There's a huge gap between drag your feet and speed run so fast everything is one shot and no one can keep up.

There's a middle in there of 'play through' and do each fight, and let people who are actually moving on the map, keep up. I get voting out the person who's camped on a campfire and not moving... or something equally bad. But people who are trying to keep up, shouldn't get thrown back by a speed runner.

I don't so much as blame players as I do bad optimization. If you are going to open up content to every level, you need to scale the people that zone into that content so it actually is a challenge for them and they can't power rush it - unless they do something like a private queue for it where they set a 'don't scale me' flag.

Wildstar does this - if you random for content, you get scaled to it, properly. If you 'walk in the door' you can choose to not be scaled. Neverwinter lets you private queue without needing the door - that's the place where you could allow no-scaling or 'lax scaling'. But the random queue should scale people to the 'middle level range' of the content - and cut down powers / gear / etc to match.

And as for people that can speed run it even 'at gear and at level' - The good manners go both ways. People need to keep up, and others need to not rush off. Teamwork works both ways on that. So I like greywynd's response here.

• Options
    oliboypholiboyph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 627 Arc User
    jyotai said:

There's a huge gap between drag your feet and speed run so fast everything is one shot and no one can keep up.

There's a middle in there of 'play through' and do each fight, and let people who are actually moving on the map, keep up. I get voting out the person who's camped on a campfire and not moving... or something equally bad. But people who are trying to keep up, shouldn't get thrown back by a speed runner.

I don't so much as blame players as I do bad optimization. If you are going to open up content to every level, you need to scale the people that zone into that content so it actually is a challenge for them and they can't power rush it - unless they do something like a private queue for it where they set a 'don't scale me' flag.

Wildstar does this - if you random for content, you get scaled to it, properly. If you 'walk in the door' you can choose to not be scaled. Neverwinter lets you private queue without needing the door - that's the place where you could allow no-scaling or 'lax scaling'. But the random queue should scale people to the 'middle level range' of the content - and cut down powers / gear / etc to match.

And as for people that can speed run it even 'at gear and at level' - The good manners go both ways. People need to keep up, and others need to not rush off. Teamwork works both ways on that. So I like greywynd's response here.

We can't blame either side of the issue here. Unfortunately doing leveling dungeons on multiple characters is the most popular way to farm RAD. We obviously want to shorten the amount of time we spend doing this so we really try to run it as fast as possible (you'll know how this feels very soon, be prepared to run leveling dungeons every day for the rest of your Neverwinter life). On the other hand, anyone who will witness this for the first time will be annoyed.
    "As the good archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself." -Danilo Thann[/quote]
  • Options
    Its not that productive to run leveling dungeons compared to t1s. However, a 2k alt can solo any of them in 6-8 mins or less, so I see why people do it. I maybe do a couple at most a week, and thats to get lower alts wanders and hoard drops usually. However there are many weeks I dont bother at all.. I usually run up to 10-12 dungeons a day + 2-3 nemos + invoking and then saling some RP/other drops. I dont need this AD, but if I do it, im just giong to kill everything in my way and do it as quickly as possible.

What per se is the non geared person waiting for, they dont have to fight? all they need to do is pick up a few pieces of junk on the floor if they want to, they just need to follow, its not like I need them ahead of me. They just need to be generally at the last door in the last 20 seconds or so after everyone is done fighting.

Thats all that is asked for them. So I can only contend that the few poeple I see , are upset about geared people entering and refuse to come to the door, because it doesnt take 3 mins to follow someone. Thats ludicrous. At most 30 seconds behind is reasonable.

• Options

What per se is the non geared person waiting for, they dont have to fight? all they need to do is pick up a few pieces of junk on the floor if they want to, they just need to follow, its not like I need them ahead of me. They just need to be generally at the last door in the last 20 seconds or so after everyone is done fighting.

Thats all that is asked for them. So I can only contend that the few poeple I see , are upset about geared people entering and refuse to come to the door, because it doesnt take 3 mins to follow someone. Thats ludicrous. At most 30 seconds behind is reasonable.

Maybe the person running it on a leveling character actually wants to play the content, rather than be your personal valet and janitor?
  • Options
    ...all they need to do it listen to the whine and cry of "Are you going to pick up EVERY piece of trash?" coming from the players waiting for you to catch up to the gate.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    The 'trash' on the way to that gate is actually pretty valuable if you're of level for the place.

This looks like a flaw in design.

The dungeon scaling should scale down higher level characters more, AND change the loot tables so that people get loot equivalent to their own level, and not something like a group average. I've come out of many level 13-20 dungeons with level 70 blue gear... For my first week here I held on to that stuff like precious shinies that would one day be amazing... until it started filling my bags and I figured I'd just get enough of it when I did hit 70.

After I got past about level 35 or so, the max-level players have vanished, and the dungeons got better. And after I got past the once skirmish in my screenshot, the queues for those got better -down to only a few hours each now (which is still amazingly bad). I guess I missed some memo to avoid that one... O.o

It might be a good idea to give characters higher queue priority in the the low levels... so that lowbies are more likely to group together.

Getting into a dungeon and having some max level person zerg run it ahead of you is a great way to turn people who are new off of a game. I stuck it out because I've seen this drill before in many MMOs. But I've also seen people quit over it in many games.

I think some people in here are being very poor in judgement by only looking at this issue from their own perspective of an old player running easy content, and not at how that impacts the segment of the playerbase that content is intended for.

Look at it from both sides... and its not ideal for either.

• Options
    The adjustment of the default threshold should help a lot. The stuff I've PUGged since the patch, you never see anything lay on the ground long. Even with the people that used to complain about it getting picked up in the run.
  • Options
    chemjeffchemjeff Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    jyotai said:

Maybe the person running it on a leveling character actually wants to play the content, rather than be your personal valet and janitor?

So much this. I felt this way doing Kessell's when I was still gearing up my GWF. There were certain players who simply rushed to the mob and killed all of them and didn't stop to loot *anything*, not even the valuable stuff like enchants. They evidently expected the slow lowbie players to loot the enchants and black ice for them *on their behalf*. And it was insulting and demeaning to be treated like basically nothing more than a companion.

I say if you want to speed-run something, then speed-run it with your buddies in a private queue. But if you decide to speed-run something in a public queue where you intentionally decide to treat your fellow teammates disrespectfully, like little more than valets and companions, then don't be surprised if I respond in kind by treating you disrespectfully, by dragging my feet, picking up *all* the loot, and daring you to try to kick me.
  • Options
    casey0267casey0267 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 46 Arc User
    I wish they would let us solo the leveling dungeons again and the leveling skirmishes would be good too, I used to enjoy (late at night) going into Cloak Tower or Cragmire solo and take my time doing the dungeon, which if you have a group you can't do, but they really need to open up both leveling dungeons and skirmishes to all level 70 and solo play
  • Options
    deathbeezdeathbeez Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 789 Arc User
    casey0267 said:

I wish they would let us solo the leveling dungeons again and the leveling skirmishes would be good too

Same. I thought they were going to do that with the private queues.
    It even says it's going to ignore requirements, but then forced requirements. *sigh*
  • Options
    You ignore build requirements; you don't have to have a healer or tank. You do have to have the required number of bodies.
  • Options
    jyotai said:

Which again, im not ASKING them not to.. there is NO content for them to play? What are you talking about? If everything in front of them is dead, they have plenty of time to pick up EVERYthing and follow. IT doesnt take mins behind to do that?

This leads me to believe that if someone is doing this, they are simply upset and refusing to come.

Simply put, this is valuable "stepping" stone for people who do not have enough gear to earn AD otherwise.

If you want to get upset at someone, DONT get upset at players, get upset at a development team that implemented the system as is.

• Options
    Don't get upset by the players that run ahead, kill everything (or sprint past mobs) by themselves and wait for the rest of the players to catch up?
  • Options
    I never sprint past mobs, I tag every group if I go into these, as long as they dont fight them afterwards, they shouldnt ever have any on them.

Are you basically stating that only people at level should do these? good luck with the queue then, because it will never pop.

If you want to have a queue at range only, I would be fine with that.. so those in those level ranges can try to get a group together.. this is how OTHER mmos wouldve handled this.