Why all the toxicity in PvP?

2»

Comments

• Options
    urabaskurabask Member Posts: 2,923 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    metalldjt said:

clonkyo1 said:

From the moment that a player can feel "higher" than others by using "broken mechanics" (ambush, drains, owlbear comp, bondings, etc), the toxicity will be born.

The PvP community has essentially been pretty toxic since day one. Neverwinter has always had the "win at all costs" mentality in PvP. From cheating, exploiting, using obviously broken and unfair mechanics, to belittling players, only allowing the very best of the best to join a guild or team, requiring BiS to play and always unfairly stacking your group so you can stomp pug players...it's always been there.

Not once has this game had anything that would remotely resemble a healthy PvP environment. And for that, the PvP community has paid the price. Fewer and fewer people started participating in PvP, thus there wasn't a demand for any sort of new PvP content...without new PvP content, fewer people still enaged PvP and the cycle continues.

In my opinion, the only way to fix PvP is to rebuild it completely from the ground up. If that meant the current crop of hardcore PvPers would get mad and quit, I would view that as a positive. But as it stands right now, PvP in Neverwinter is pretty much at a dead end.

> The PvP community has essentially been pretty toxic since day one. Neverwinter has always had the "win at all costs" mentality in PvP. From cheating, exploiting, using obviously broken and unfair mechanics, to belittling players, only allowing the very best of the best to join a guild or team, requiring BiS to play and always unfairly stacking your group so you can stomp pug players...it's always been there.

ok, you are mistaking sayin PvP community , just because you(generalizing) que for a pvp match for doin ur daily, doesn't mean that you are part of the pvp community , if i were to put the straightforward number for the PvP community is around between 100-500 players if i can count the inactive ones aswell. And none of them were toxic as the OP described. Besides that smack talkin that we had few times between ourself , thats because we know eachother more or less, since the PvP community is small.
    so just because you PvP once , doesn't mean you are apart of the PvP community lets not mix out casual play with a PvP community, same goes for PvE community.

> Not once has this game had anything that would remotely resemble a healthy PvP environment. And for that, the PvP community has paid the price. Fewer and fewer people started participating in PvP, thus there wasn't a demand for any sort of new PvP content...without new PvP content, fewer people still enaged PvP and the cycle continues.

yes, the lack of the game providing tools that us as a pvp community could take advantage of it and create a healthy PvP enviroment it wasn't given to us ex: PvP Que system with LOBBY for Premades. : http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter#/discussion/1212515/pvp-domination-premade-que-system-for-module9/p1

> In my opinion, the only way to fix PvP is to rebuild it completely from the ground up. If that meant the current crop of hardcore PvPers would get mad and quit, I would view that as a positive. But as it stands right now, PvP in Neverwinter is pretty much at a dead end.

yea, i do agree with you here, there needs to be a bit more of a attention towards it, but since none of the devs are actually specilized in doin' that, or they are , but the NW team leadership doesn't allow them to do that. I do belive that the class balance proposition for 2k16 is kinda down, since they are bringin the mdoule 10 with WoTC.
    Oh please. Anyone that's tried PvP has run into some BiS kid with a chip on his shoulder because of all the inferior scrubs are trying to play his game mode. Like it or not those people are part of the PvP community and they are toxic.

Your example of what you need to fix PvP just makes it obvious you're part of the problem. Rather than fix the exclusionary nature of PvP you'd rather get a queue system that lets you have your own little circlejerk.
    I8r4ux9.jpg
  • Options
    pando83pando83 Member Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    I still PvP and to be honest i didn't meet much toxicity lately. Most players i meet allow the enemy to cap for reward, and i keep playing the way i always did: i let players get the reward and i do not stomp enemies who are clearly weaker than me. Some players need to read "gg", some just notice when the enemy is not attacking anymore.

Not all hardcore PvPers are toxic. It's not even a matter of hardcore PvPers and casual PvPers. Simply put, there are toxic players.
    Players who smack talk and players who like to stomp. You need to learn to deal with them through the ignore list, simply put. You can put a smack talker into ignore and stop reading his nonsense blabbering.

Stomping, on the other hand, must be fixed by the devs. They need to balance PvP so that only players with similar gear and strenght meet. To bring back more people to PvP you need a balanced environment free of exploitable stuff, and then add some good rewards that can bring people to PvP.

Exploits and exploitable stuff is still there, along with some things that need a fix in terms of class balance.
    In Icewind dale you can still meet players who can kill you in milliseconds through companion bug. Ring of ambush aberration is still there. T. Shadowclad stealth is also meh. Stealth to any class is a bad choice in general.

The issues are known. Once they are fixed, dealing with toxic players will be easier/ they will have less room to damage the PvP community.
  • Options
    urlord283urlord283 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,084 Arc User
    After years of enjoying PVP I have given up due to the first poster's observations, which are mine too.

Now that the alliances have started I may try again...

it is really too bad it is a great concept ... but we the players have screwed up

Urlord
  • Options
    silence1xsilence1x Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    UPDATE: I was in a pug group on my PvE spec'd SM Conq GF last night against a pre-made Midnight Express group. I know some of the guys/gals over there and I have to say that they were good sports and gracious winners last night. Maybe all hope is not lost?

My toon's name in that match was Samm 2 (original I know :) ) so for those of you from ME that kicked my butt, I salute you.

GG
    I aim to misbehave
  • Options
    benskix2benskix2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 674 Arc User
    Anyone remember when stat curves weren't just a straight diagonal line? The game was pretty fun back then, wonder why they changed it.
  • Options
    drkbodhidrkbodhi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,378 Arc User
    I was in a pug group with a team that contained a few members from specific PvP/PvE guild who loves to abuse and Troll. Against a team that had no freaking chance. I told the other team that I will allow them to cap on their Home node. Despite telling my teammates to allow them that... they decided to ignore me and troll them until the end of the match. Our 5th member was from a usually abusive guild... and he refused to be part of their HAMSTER.

They even went to the point of standing there while they capped... and just before capping they killed the entire party. FFS... I know their guild leader and he is one of the CMs favorite puppies. I have not PvP'd for a week... since that happened. I do not even feel compelled to join my Alliance mates, Synergy, in matches. I hope that will change soon.
    ez0sf4K.png
    Atwil "At" - Tiefling TR / Saardush - Black Dragonborn GWF / White - Tiefling OP
    Leadership Council of Civil Anarchy
    SYNERGY Alliance
  • Options
    vinceent1vinceent1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,264 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    in my opinion, pvpers here are extremely bored so they do trolling gameplay to dig some "fun". I was playing against one infamous guild, their player just liked keep me controlled almost constantly, hello luthien jerk
  • Options
    vinceent1vinceent1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,264 Arc User
    what are you talking about morenthar? i never use ambush ring. i just make another example how pigeonholed pvp currently is, this thread is about it. how engaging and thrilled it is. i can go to make myself a coffee in between waiting to stop being controlled. toxic gameplay a little bit. after years here my panties are fine
  • Options
    greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,095 Arc User

solbergx said:

When you have things like level 12 enchants and trans enchants on a level 60 character you attract this people!!!

How about on a lvl 30 character :)
    How about on a lvl 11 character?
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    healerthebeasthealerthebeast Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14 Arc User
    Why?
    Because when you killed by a GF or a TR who is 1000 IL lesser than you with SE or ITF, you just want to bite you hands off and smash on their face.
    Oooh, burn
  • Options
    hawkeyelhawkeyel Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    benskix2 said:

Anyone remember when stat curves weren't just a straight diagonal line? The game was pretty fun back then, wonder why they changed it.

Yes I remember.
  • Options
    superent666superent666 Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    And I want royalties for the naked pvp idea :p
  • Options
    kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    And the toxicity from the PvP in-game spills over to the forums. Due to that, this thread is closed. Please keep the PvP off the forums. Thanks.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
This discussion has been closed.