test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Avoiding Re-inventing the Wheel: How to do that?

Hey all,

Okay, so I'm one of those players who spends a lot (a lot!) of time researching a game before I even play it in order both to avoid falling into unnecessary pitfalls and to avoid reinventing the wheel; that is, learning what can easily be learned by researching a little to avoid having to learn a lot of things the hard way. Too many times a game becomes more frustrating than it need be because of running into situations in which there's no clue in the game to give you a heads up.

For instance, you join a covenant and then find out that now you can't do something else in the game because of having joined that covenant, and now you have to wait until new-game-plus to finish that part of the game. How about recipes as another example. You've got umpteen hundred ingredients and no clue, none at all, as to which ones you need or what combinations do what. The game just tells you, "Oh, just experiment and see what happens." Sure! What they didn't tell you was that a few of the ingredients you have are very hard to get, but you just wasted them "experimenting." And almost as worse is having spend more time researching on the Net than playing the game just to find out what the hek is what. This kind of stuff is not at all fun to me. It's just gimmicky.

Anyway, this isn't about cheating, short-circuiting or anything like that. It's about play style. I simply get too frustrated when playing if I have to constantly find everything out the hard way (I am simply not very intuitive any many cases). For the general core of the game, sure. That's all well and good, but having to deal with frustration because of some of the things I noted above? No! Not if I can help it.

So, my question of you all is where is the best information to get a clear grip on the game, get good tips and tricks, learn the dos and don'ts, what to watch out for, and what's necessary to know in order to be ahead of the game?

What are the top information sites out there?

Thanks much.

Starkman

Comments

• Options
    starkman#8414 starkman Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    thestia said:
    See, there you go! That's what I'm talking about!
    Thanks very, very much, thestia! I greatly appreciate it.
    Starkman
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    In Neverwinter, I really can't think of much of anything that's mutually exclusive, so to speak.

There are race and class quests, but they primarily exist for flavour and worldbuilding, not to aggravate you that you picked the "wrong" options. Perhaps worth noting are that dragonborn have no racial quests and paladins and rangers have no class quests. There are a few other places where your class or race may bring up an additional dialogue option, but the game isn't really designed to give us meaningful decisions... our heroes have to be pretty much interchangeable in their actions.

For a price, you can change your character's race (or just stat rolls), appearance, name, and build. You cannot change your deity or origin (there's currently a bug that changes everyone's origin, but they're supposed to be getting that fixed), so make sure you're satisfied with those, but they only impact flavour as well. You cannot change class and would need to make a new character to try a different one.

Icewind Dale's faction quests allow you to freely switch factions and complete every option.

Crafting, ingredients are either as common as dirt or you've gotten up to masterwork crafting which is again on the rails (and there are guides available).
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    Thanks, becky.

Regarding the matter of dragonborn having no racial quests and paladins and rangers having no class quests, is there, then, a disadvantage when choosing either of these: that is, are class quests more important than racial quests, or vice-versa, or is there no loss (not having either of the types of quests)?
    Starkman
  • Options
    offpuddingoffpudding Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 32 Arc User
    Man who consider all outcomes before taking a step, spend life forever balanced on one foot

~~Confucius

;)
  • Options

Man who consider all outcomes before taking a step, spend life forever balanced on one foot

~~Confucius

;)

Confucious had a momentary lapse there; I have both feet firmly planted!
    Starkman
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    The end result of the race/class quests is a unique set of cloaks. They mainly cosmetic, with laughable stats. Other then the cloak, and a little flavor lore, you honestly lose nothing by missing them.
  • Options
    greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,111 Arc User
    Step one: decide on a class you want to play

Step two: find a race that will work well within that class

Step three: play the game

Step four: make another character of another class

Each race and class has options that make them different. With the classes it has to do with the paragon path and the feat tree; a Pathfinder Trapper doesn't play exactly the same as a Stormwarden Archer.

While having a "safe" list of optimized class/race is nice, sometimes it is just as fun, if not moreso to do something different.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    jyotaijyotai Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    greywynd said:

While having a "safe" list of optimized class/race is nice, sometimes it is just as fun, if not moreso to do something different.

How vital are the racial bonuses and stat differences by the later levels / max level?

How much would it matter if I made a halfling great weapon fighter or a half-orc control wizard as opposed to a dwarf great weapon fighter or tiefling control wizard? And so on...

Is it 'game crippling' to go off ideal, will it get you passed over from recruitment for things? Or does the difference matter so little at max level that its just something people debate in guides and no more?
    PST timezone older player. Mostly play tanks and healers. Don't game outside of MMOs.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    jyotai said:

Is it 'game crippling' to go off ideal, will it get you passed over from recruitment for things? Or does the difference matter so little at max level that its just something people debate in guides and no more?

Very little difference. Maybe 1-2% effectiveness.

Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,269 Arc User
    To be "successful", you need a lot of characters.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***