test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

A Tutorial for the New Mount System

darkstarcrashdarkstarcrash Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,382 Arc User
Getting Started: Adding Mounts to Your Stable and Collection

Log into your character and double-click on your usual mount to equip it and add it to your Stable.

Look through your bags and double-click any mounts to add to your collection, then go to the bank and do the same for any character-bound mounts you find there. Hold off on adding unbound mounts for now.

Go to the Zen Market (hot key "Y") and click on the mounts tab. Look for any free mounts and claim them, then double-click to add to your collection.

Head to the Reward Claims Agent in Protector's Enclave and pick up your Maze Engine Explorer Pack (from the Promo tab). You will receive a Bay Zakharan Horse, an XP scroll which will give you an entire level (save it for when you're 70 for an overflow level), 3 SH vouchers, a Regal insignia, and a coupon for 50% off special mounts in the Zen store. Double-click the mount to add it to your collection. Note: This pack is available to every character on your account, for an unknown length of time.

Go to Sgt. Knox in Protector's Enclave and take the quest "The Right Horse for You!" Go to the Mount Merchant and select one of the two mounts. We'll cover Insignia bonuses later, but the Waterdeep Horse gives you health and stamina when your hitpoints drop below 50%, and the Sabino Horse gives 10% bonus damage to your summoned companion, so choose what works for you. You will receive the mount and an Enlightened insignia. Finish the tutorial, clicking on your Stable and equipping the insignia you are given.

Note that the default hot key for the Mounts tab is "[" - which you can change if you'd like. (Hit Esc to bring up menu, choose Options --> Gameplay tab --> Keybinds, with Mounts near the bottom of the keybind list).

Comments

• Options
    Appearance and Powers

On the "Current" tab of the mounts tab there are 4 main sections: Change Mount, Combat Power, Equip Power, and Movement.

Clicking Change Mount lets you choose the appearance of the mount you ride -- it can be any mount in your Stable *or* any of the other mounts which are now....floating in a pocket universe or something. Click on one of the mounts in the list and click the "Choose" button to switch to that mount appearance, or "Cancel" to keep your current mount.

If you have a legendary mount in your collection, you can choose a Combat Power.

If you have an epic or legendary mount in your collection, you can choose an Equip Power.

Note that when you added all your mounts to your collection, Combat and Equip Powers were *not* automatically selected. You have to manually click on the "Change" button and click on a power to activate it. Any available powers will be listed, whether that mount is in your Stable or not.

Click on the Movement "Change" button to choose your movement speed. When you equipped your first mount, it automatically chose the speed of that mount, and will stay at that speed. If you add a faster mount later, you must click the Change button to change to the faster speed.
  • Options
    Insignias and Bonuses Part 1

Now let's switch to the Stables tab. You probably have a mix of mounts here, in order as you added them to your collection. Only the 5 mounts in your stable will be able to have active Insignia bonuses.

To choose which mounts are in your Stable as opposed to the extra mounts in your collection, either right-click on one of the mounts in your stable or click the "Swap Out of Stable" button in the lower right, click on one of the mounts in your unstabled list, and click the "Swap to Stable" button at the bottom of the list.

If you have a mount in your stable highlighted, you can click the "Insignia Bonus List" button to see the possible bonuses that mount can have.

Insignia bonuses come in two levels, a lesser one which requires 2 insignias and a greater one which requires 3 insignias. An example is Warlord's Encouragment: Your summoned Companion does 10% more damage, and Warlord's Inspiration: Your summoned Companion does 20% more damage. Insignia bonuses of the same type can be stacked, but there are diminishing returns; in this example a maximum of 40% bonus damage for Warlord's Inspiration.

White mounts have 2 fixed slots, so they can only have one possible lesser Insignia Bonus. Green mounts have 2 slots, but one is Universal, so you can choose one of 4 possible lesser Insignia bonuses. Blue mounts have 3 fixed slots, so they can have one possible greater Insignia bonus. Epic mounts have 2 fixed and 1 universal slot, and most have 2 possible greater Insignia bonuses; a few mounts are more versatile. Legendary mounts have 1 fixed and 2 universal slots, so they can have 6 - 7 greater Insignia bonus choices. You need to fill all of the slots to activate a bonus -- so if you only have 2 insignias for a lesser power, putting them in a 3-slot epic mount will not give you the bonus.

You've now been given Regal and Illuminated insignias, which are enough to complete Warlord's Encouragement: +10% damage to your summoned companion. Either the Bay Zakharan Horse from the Maze Engine pack or the Sabino Horse from the mount quest has the slots you need to make this insignia bonus active. Go ahead and slot these for now -- it doesn't cost anything to move insignias around later.

Note that if you swap a mount out of the stable while it has insignias slotted, those insignias stay on the mount - so unequip them first (just drag to your inventory).
  • Options
    Where to Get Insignias

Green insignias can drop from skill nodes both in mini-dungeons (such as Dread Ring lairs) or in the open world. I have personally looted insignias from Dread Ring and Well of Dragons zone nodes. I think you can also get drops from 3-man dungeon bosses. These insignias are currently Bind to Character and give 50 points to 1 stat (or 200 HPs) and 25 points to a second.

Blue insignias can drop from bosses in T1 and T2 dungeons. Only one drops and it is rolled on by the party -- you should probably roll Need to avoid loot ninjas. These insignias are also BtC.

You can also get blue or purple insignias from boxes within the new Shaundakul lockbox. These are BoE and can be sold in the AH, in their own Insignia sub-category under the Mounts category. Blue insignias give 100 points to the first stat and 50 to the second, and epic insignias give 200/100.

The game wiki has a list of all the insignia types and the stats given. Note that for Insignia bonus powers it doesn't matter whether you use a green Regal Insignia of Prosperity or an epic Regal Insignia of Courage -- you just need to fill all the slots on that mount. But if you have a stable of 5 mounts with 3 slots, and fill them with epic Insignias of Skill, you could have an additional +3000 Critical Strike and +1500 Combat Advantage Bonus, for example.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Insignia Bonuses and Powers, Part 2

Ok, now you want to get serious about the Insignia Bonus powers. Two great resources are the game wiki's Mount Powers page and the Mount Insignia tool, which was created by two30, the wiki guru.

The tool lets you look at which mounts can have which insignia bonus powers, and lets you search by mount or by power. The wiki Mount Powers page adds in the Combat and Equip Powers. Click on a listed mount in the wiki, and you will be taken to a page for that mount, so you can see where you can get it.

The conditions for proccing the Insignia bonus powers vary from activating a mount Combat Power (which means you need to have a legendary mount in your collection), to drinking a healing potion, to having a summoned companion attack. Look at all the powers, think about how they interact with your playstyle, and choose Insignia bonus powers that would work for your main character/the majority of your alts. Then click on the power and see which mounts have the right slots for it. Now look at the individual mounts to check for Combat and/or Equip Powers (depending on mount rank), as well as how difficult/expensive the mount is to obtain.

Let's take a couple examples from mounts that can be purchased from the Zen store using the "50% off Special Mounts" coupon from the Maze Engine Explorer Pack. At 1750 zen -- or ~750k AD at current exchange rates -- it may be worth it to add an(other) epic mount to all your characters.

The Heavy Howler's Equip Power is +2000 Crit, and it has slots for Survivor's Blessing (Whenever you Deflect an attack, you are healed for 3% of your maximum Hit Points over 4 seconds) or Cavalry's Warning (Whenever you activate a Mount Combat Power, you gain an increase of 10% to your Power, Recovery, Armor Penetration, Critical Strike, Defense, Deflection, Regeneration, and Life Steal). This could be a great mount for a high-crit, high-deflect build --maybe a HR or TR -- and for someone who already has a Legendary mount.

The Guard Drake's Equip Power is +2000 Power, and it has slots for Protector's Camaraderie (Whenever your summoned Companion attacks, you gain 3% of your Power and Defense for 10 seconds. This effect can stack up to 4 times) or Shepherd's Devotion (Whenever you use a Daily power, your teammates Defense, Deflection, and Movement are increased by 5% of your Power for 15 seconds). This could be a great mount for someone who mainly plays with summoned companions, and for buffing DCs or devotion OPs.

You don't have to spend $ to start having fun with Insignia powers, though. Even the starter horses will give you a bonus and space to slot insignias for a little extra stats. If you've been playing for a while, you probably have a few event mounts -- assuming you didn't discard them to make room in your bags -- and maybe some unbound mounts from the WInter Festival. Look through them and see if there are some bonuses that work for your particular character -- or just choose mounts that look cool! I highly recommend the Gelatinous Cube, Starry Panther or Jubilee Parade Horse: they are extra awesome at 110% speed!
  • Options
    drakkon5drakkon5 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 43 Arc User
    Nice Info! :D
  • Options
    wildfiredewildfirede Member Posts: 886 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    great info, but a collection what works and what is broken from the insignia bonuses would be a very nice addition. for me shepard's is almost unnoticable and magistrate x2(lesser not stacked) ticks for lol on 20k power.
    Please fix Zhentarim Warlock companion's skill "Arcane Warping" to the originally intended "Arcane Boost"
    zhentarim-warlock-companion

Pure -> Transcendent Plague Fire weapon enchantment giving 80damge/20 seconds for 500k+ AD is a joke.
    plague-fire-weapon-enchant-r11-vs-r12
  • Options
    carianne9carianne9 Member Posts: 76 Arc User

Where to Get Insignias

you should probably roll Need to avoid loot ninjas.

What is a loot ninja? Only just today on another post did I hear this term for the first time.
  • Options
    carianne9carianne9 Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    This is a terrific (series of) posts! Thank you! Cleared up a number of things for me, and is making me think of tackling this stuff in the next few days rather than continuing to avoid it out of overwhelm and confusion.

Sadly, I have to ask a question about what may be obvious, but I am completely confused by. It is this part, about the slots.

Insignias and Bonuses Part 1

White mounts have 2 fixed slots, so they can only have one possible lesser Insignia Bonus. Green mounts have 2 slots, but one is Universal, so you can choose one of 4 possible lesser Insignia bonuses. Blue mounts have 3 fixed slots, so they can have one possible greater Insignia bonus. Epic mounts have 2 fixed and 1 universal slot, and most have 2 possible greater Insignia bonuses; a few mounts are more versatile. Legendary mounts have 1 fixed and 2 universal slots, so they can have 6 - 7 greater Insignia bonus choices. You need to fill all of the slots to activate a bonus -- so if you only have 2 insignias for a lesser power, putting them in a 3-slot epic mount will not give you the bonus.

White mounts have 2 fixed slots, so they can only have one possible lesser Insignia Bonus. ***So both slots have to contain the same insignia for it to work?

Let's take Green mounts: . . . have 2 slots . . . you can choose one . . . . lesser Insignia bonus. So again, both slots have to have the same insignia?

I do not follow this part about slots and insignias at all. If I have a 3-slot mount, couldn't I put in 3 different insignias and get 3 different bonuses (one for each insignia?)

OR! This post has got my mind churning. Maybe I just figured it out. Is it that you have to put in 3 particular insignias that combine to give you a certain benefit??? And a different combination of those/other insignias is a different benefit? Is that the key? That the insignias are like puzzle pieces . . . A & B & C = benefit1 and A & B & D = benefit2.

Did I finally figure it out?

Are only certain insignias allowed on certain mounts? That would sure add complexity!!

• Options
    gildriadorgildriador Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited March 2016

Head to the Reward Claims Agent in Protector's Enclave and pick up your Maze Engine Explorer Pack (from the Promo tab). You will receive a Bay Zakharan Horse, an XP scroll which will give you an entire level (save it for when you're 70 for an overflow level), 3 SH vouchers, a Regal insignia, and a coupon for 50% off special mounts in the Zen store. Double-click the mount to add it to your collection. Note: This pack is available to every character on your account, for an unknown length of time.

Thanks you for this info => I have not noticed that a new pack was available for free at the Claims Agent in Protector's Enclave.

I planned to buy an account wide epic mount for 3500 zen in the next week.

you make my day... :)

Thanks again

“He raised his staff. There was a roll of thunder. The sunlight was blotted out from the eastern windows; the whole hall became suddenly dark as night. The fire faded to sullen embers. Only Gandalf could be seen, standing white and tall before the blackened hearth.”
    ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Two Towers
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    carianne9 said:

Is it that you have to put in 3 particular insignias that combine to give you a certain benefit??? And a different combination of those/other insignias is a different benefit? Is that the key? That the insignias are like puzzle pieces . . . A & B & C = benefit1 and A & B & D = benefit2.

Did I finally figure it out?

Are only certain insignias allowed on certain mounts? That would sure add complexity!!

Yes, I think you are ready to graduate to looking at @two30's insignia tool
    https://two30.github.io/neverwinter-insignia/

(Most of my gaming is noodling around by myself, so I pick up occasional green insignias in skill nodes, and I use the tool to see if I can make a bonus out of the insignias and mounts I own on the character I'm playing, rather than using it to plan the absolute perfect combination of bonuses that are technically possible. It is still super-helpful, even for someone like me.)
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    carianne9 said:

What is a loot ninja? Only just today on another post did I hear this term for the first time.

A "loot ninja" is someone who sneaks off with loot, in this case by rolling Need when the party has agreed on rolling Greed.

Since the insignias are character-bound, you might as well roll Need (unless for some reason you don't have a slot for that insignia, then you could Pass).
    carianne9 said:

I do not follow this part about slots and insignias at all. If I have a 3-slot mount, couldn't I put in 3 different insignias and get 3 different bonuses (one for each insignia?)

OR! This post has got my mind churning. Maybe I just figured it out. Is it that you have to put in 3 particular insignias that combine to give you a certain benefit??? And a different combination of those/other insignias is a different benefit? Is that the key? That the insignias are like puzzle pieces . . . A & B & C = benefit1 and A & B & D = benefit2.

There are two kinds of insignia bonuses: there's the stats you get from each insignia equipped on the mounts in your active Stable, and the Insignia Power bonuses you get when you have all the slots filled on a given mount.

So you could scatter 3 green insignias of Courage across 3 mounts and get a bonus +150 defense -- but you won't have activated any Insignia Power.

But let's say you have a Stormraider Clydesdale. Click on the mount in your stable, then click on the Insignia Bonus List button (or check out two30's mount tool) to see that you can get two possible powers: Warlord's Inspiration or Gladiator's Guile. The first takes 2 Regal + 1 Enlightened insignia, and the second takes 1 each of Regal, Enlightened, and Illuminated insignias.

If those 3 green insignias are 2 Regals and an Enlightened (pretty easy to get if you got the 2 free ones), then you can put those 3 insignias on the Clydesdale, completing the bonus power and activating Warlord's Inspiration. From now on your summoned companion will deal 20% more damage -- and you still get the bonus +150 defense (or whatever stats are on your insignias).

It doesn't hurt to complete any power you can, even if it's not very good -- because it doesn't cost any AD to move the insignias from mount to mount.

• Options
    lantern22lantern22 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    Thnx for this
  • Options
    rifter1969rifter1969 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 516 Arc User
    This was an awesome read and extremely helpful. Thanks! :)

But, I have one question...
    Do insignia bonuses work like active companion bonuses? What I mean is if I have two mounts that have an insignia bonus, do they work at the same time, or is it only one is "active"?

Thanks.
  • Options
    You can have 5 active bonuses simultaneously from the mounts in your stable.

However, stacking more than one of the same insignia bonus power will lead to diminishing returns: Warlord's Inspiration x1 gives your companion 20% more damage, but Warlord's Inspiration x5 only gives your companion 40% more damage. So it's best to have a mix of bonuses.
  • Options
    rifter1969rifter1969 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 516 Arc User

You can have 5 active bonuses simultaneously from the mounts in your stable.

However, stacking more than one of the same insignia bonus power will lead to diminishing returns: Warlord's Inspiration x1 gives your companion 20% more damage, but Warlord's Inspiration x5 only gives your companion 40% more damage. So it's best to have a mix of bonuses.

Ahhh... OK thanks for the info.
    Very helpful :)
  • Options
    xalorusxalorus Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    Great guide! Ty
  • Options
    sundance777sundance777 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    @two30 To me it looks like the insignia combination on the dusk unicorn on the insignia tool differs from what the wiki says. I am not sure which one is correct yet as I am on xbox and don't get the mod until tomorrow. I guess it could end up being neither as well as the xbox mounts could vary from the PC mounts...

NM it was just me looking at the wrong line...
    Post edited by sundance777 on
    TR - Sun: 16000 IL
    OP - Sunshine: 16000 IL

Casual Dailies
  • Options
    two30two30 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,168 Arc User

@two30 To me it looks like the insignia combination on the dusk unicorn on the insignia tool differs from what the wiki says. I am not sure which one is correct yet as I am on xbox and don't get the mod until tomorrow. I guess it could end up being neither as well as the xbox mounts could vary from the PC mounts...

I'm not sure what you mean. The Dusk Unicorn has Crescent, Enlightened and Universal slots. The wiki and my insignia tool appear to be in agreement.
    Neverwinter Tools for evaluating boons, mounts, dyes, etc.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    two30 said:

I'm not sure what you mean. The Dusk Unicorn has Crescent, Enlightened and Universal slots. The wiki and my insignia tool appear to be in agreement.
    Sunny edited. It was user error, not yours. @two30
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia