test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Developer Blog: Endgame Improvements

2»

Comments

• rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User

My husband and I are somewhat new to playing Neverwinter and we had a wonderful time playing until we hit to see some sort of roadblock in checking out a dungeon with just the two of us. After some digging we found people saying you cannot go in dungeons without queuing? No idea if this is 100% correct but it seems a strange restriction. We both are casual players and like the option to log on and off as we see fit (real life happens), this is not typically conducive to a successful random or guild dungeon run 100% of the time. If the dungeons are not duo-able then that's fine but I really don't see a point in forcing people to queue rather than having it be a convenience option. The changes look like a big step in the right direction.

dungeons during levelling were deleted time ago, some of those are coming back in few days. for now you cant play those dungeons.
    For all the other content, you can queue as two (with your husband) but the dungeon will really start just when the game found other 3 people to put in your party.
  • putzboy78putzboy78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,950 Arc User
    adding more rewards to content people don't want to play is not really an improvement to endgame.
  • swoods74swoods74 Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    Please lower cost of linu's favor for boons or offer ways to earn more, it is such a boring mind numbing grind. Way too many tiamat runs required :-/ TYVM for all the other improvements you are implementing. Oh yeah, maybe you could make black ice nodes a little easier to target also ;)
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    Linu's favor is a bottleneck, yes - even if you run with a Zerg group and do Tiamat every hour on weekends (and occasionally twice per hour), it is still going to take at least a couple of months to get the last two boons.

My primary issue, however, is whether the developers' concept of "Endgame" is different from my own. Actually, I think it is so, and this difference is the root cause of several issues. For me, doing the campaigns and getting the boons is not "Endgame" content. For me, "Endgame" starts when I have pretty much completed everything and am just working on incremental improvements to my gear, as well as any content I enjoy.

In fact, the ideal "Endgame" for me would be the Foundry, but they absolutely do not seem to share that understanding. Am I alone in this opinion?
    Hoping for improvements...
  • tivvumtivvum Member Posts: 33 Arc User

I also think them emphasizing the campaigns as PART of THE ENDGAME is good. This gets lost to many, including myself.

As someone who only started recently... about 6 months ago or so.
    I have treated the campaigns exactly as end game content.
    I started on Dragons as I was levelling and then just moved onto Sharandar and IWD at 70.
    I actually quite liked Sharandar and thought the grind ok. The only one that has been silly the last 2 boons on Dragons. (Can't comment on SH's as I am un-guilded).

• lukejones77lukejones77 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 282 Arc User
    putzboy78 said:

adding more rewards to content people don't want to play is not really an improvement to endgame.

+1

This is not the endgame you're looking for.
  • coldcanukcoldcanuk Member Posts: 35 Arc User

This is a welcome change! The only thing I would have added is reducing the amount of Linus Favor (pizza slices) needed for the final two boons in the WoD campaign. With these changes to Tiamat it may make it easier for guilds to get the favors needed but it is still a MASSIVE grind. I still have not gotten the last boon on my main (playing since beta) and have given up on the idea of getting them on any of my alts.

This is a legitimate concern. It takes 130 Linu's for the last 2 boons, thats 130 hours of game play needed,, or 5.5 DAYS of play time if all attempts are successful. MUCH MORE if there are a lot of failures. That is a little extreme.
    twidget72 said:

Man this is just insane. Once again they have found a way to trivialize all the players that have come before this point and invested the time and energy in bringing their characters up in NVW.

From my perspective, this is an attempt from PWI to keep the newer players in the game and bleed them of whatever currency they can, since it has a direct impact on them and no real tangible effects on the long term player base who have been here from the beginning and watched a lot of very poor decisions go through; broken mechanics, broken classes, massive amounts of long standing bugs, broken content, broken PVP, broken equipment sets etc....

First they remove the Coal wards and Pres Ward from Trade bar store; which in essence killed the re-ups on VIP because they were not making any money off them in the Zen Market. They show off the Maze Engine, which is severely lacking on endgame content. But hey.... they are finally going to bring back some of the dungeons that they took away ohhh so long ago; but hey they are going to slap a new coat of paint on them and make them look pretty and shiny. (Don't forget they are leveling dungeons now)

Now we get a whiff of "ENDGAME IMPROVEMENTS"...

Well.. can someone get some cheese to go with this long winded WHINE?

Coal ward and Pres Wards... TIRED of hearing this whine already. Do it hurt? YES. Do they care? Maybe. WIll all this whining about it change anything? PROBABLY NOT!

PWI is entitled to make a buck. You are whining because you are too cheap to pay it. Guess what? Then MOVE ON and make way for someone that will play and appreciate the game. NOTE: I HAVE spent a Minimal amount of real money on the game because I do believe in supporting that which keeps me entertained. In my almost 3 years playing NW, I have probably spent a total of $100.00 on Zen. Right now I am sitting on 5750 Zen and guess what? I never PAID for any of it. ALL bought with AD in the ZAX. Is it easy to do? No, but if it was easy to do.. it wouldn't be fun doing and you would get no feeling accomplishment from doing it.

Problem here is we have another Self-Entitled person that thinks the world owes them. Gonna be a long and rocky road in life if you don't lose that idea.

I believe that PWI has done OK by the players to a degree. There were HUGE Problems, but with the new Content Manager and team of Devs, I see them addressing those past errors. I see hope for the game and for my continuing to play it.

Having done some limited Dev work for an online game for a couple yeas on a volunteer basis(no cash grab in that game, only cost was for higher limits of players and such), I know and understand the back end of such an endeavor. Do I know it all? No. But I learned from a successful programmer in the game industry. I appreciate the work Devs must do to try and please as many people as they can. They know they will never please everyone, but they still try.

I tip my hat to the Devs and Content team for a job well done in keeping the game interesting. I know how hard that is. Thank you for all your efforts.
    adinosii said:

Linu's favor is a bottleneck, yes - even if you run with a Zerg group and do Tiamat every hour on weekends (and occasionally twice per hour), it is still going to take at least a couple of months to get the last two boons.

My primary issue, however, is whether the developers' concept of "Endgame" is different from my own. Actually, I think it is so, and this difference is the root cause of several issues. For me, doing the campaigns and getting the boons is not "Endgame" content. For me, "Endgame" starts when I have pretty much completed everything and am just working on incremental improvements to my gear, as well as any content I enjoy.

In fact, the ideal "Endgame" for me would be the Foundry, but they absolutely do not seem to share that understanding. Am I alone in this opinion?

Going to agree with you about the Endgame. Repeating the same tasks over and over for 35 days is not Endgame, it's Tedious. You may be right. This may be the main issue of contention.
  • mattachinemattachine Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    I'm wondering about the unique item drops in Sharandar that drops at the old level requirement lvl 60 when will those be boosted to lvl 70. For instance the The rapier and Powrie sicle that can be rewarded from the whitch fen and gnarlroot caves.
  • rollingonitrollingonit Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    tivvum said:

I also think them emphasizing the campaigns as PART of THE ENDGAME is good. This gets lost to many, including myself.

As someone who only started recently... about 6 months ago or so.
    I have treated the campaigns exactly as end game content.
    I started on Dragons as I was levelling and then just moved onto Sharandar and IWD at 70.
    I actually quite liked Sharandar and thought the grind ok. The only one that has been silly the last 2 boons on Dragons. (Can't comment on SH's as I am un-guilded).

For some people, like yourself, it very much can be endgame. And Im cool with that part. But I also agree with Adinossi , I barely view it as; but I believe these developers see it as such. Especially being a "D&D based" game (notice quotes), where pretty much the endgame is just the entire journey. (I also saw Foundry as something that would interest me after I was done working on characters, but then they stripped that to hell and ignored it.)

Then as I said earlier, they removed most the endgame for me. I am a progression player that typically likes challenging dungeon/raids and PVP. All 3 of those categories have been mostly negatively affected by the devs changes. Even as progression player they changed it from a dungeon drop, tradeable/sellable, refine only enchants, awesome dungeon crawler with decent PVP to a REFINE/MONETIZE/FU PLAYERS game. (This was in a diff thread about "what is endgame to you", pretty much I am a progression player that enjoys dungeons/raids/pvp)

We can pretend.
    Fox Stevenson - Sandblast
    Oh Wonder - Without You

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
    - Dylan Thomas
  • khimera906khimera906 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 898 Arc User
    Holly shmokes, I love this! Not as much the increase in rewards for Tiamt and Stronghold Siege, as the changes to older campaigns. I have a lot of alts on which I quit playing.
    Cheers!
    I hate dancing with Lady Luck. She always steps on my toes.
  • rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    nice changes but stronghold siege needs some fixes before i will put my feet into it again.
    1)no companions
    2)fix paladins
    3) no drains no ambush rings
    like it should be everywhere.

for the future a campaign like ice wind dale with different open areas and tough monsters would really be appreciated. god...i just love ice wind dale.

Post edited by rayrdan on
  • ogariousogarious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    Well, the truth is this game needs something. Lost about 70% of my guild to BDO. Something I SAID was going to happen in these very forums. After 8 pm eastern nobody does GG, few people do DOM, most EDemos fail after everybody quits in the first round if we dont get gold. Meaning 30 minutes of not being able to do anything vs 10 minutes of sitting on your HAMSTER and running around in a circle to keep from getting disconnected due to inactivity.

This has got to change. After trying the BDO trail myself, I wonder why I'm still here.
  • mickmalcommickmalcom Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    ogarious said:

Well, the truth is this game needs something. Lost about 70% of my guild to BDO. Something I SAID was going to happen in these very forums. After 8 pm eastern nobody does GG, few people do DOM, most EDemos fail after everybody quits in the first round if we dont get gold. Meaning 30 minutes of not being able to do anything vs 10 minutes of sitting on your HAMSTER and running around in a circle to keep from getting disconnected due to inactivity.

This has got to change. After trying the BDO trail myself, I wonder why I'm still here.

Personally, I just stop in to set my 7 day alchemy tasks and see if they have added anything I would consider endgame material before I head over to BD. As much as I loved this game the first year I played, there's just not enough to do at higher levels and my char slots are all full.