What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The great companion debate

Comments

• Options
    wdj40wdj40 Member Posts: 1,958 Arc User
    cscriv79 said:

How do you get the double slotted talismans on Xbox One for the warlock, I have seen they use an app for the companions to get the items on the PC called 'Sword Coast Adventures'.

There are no double slotted Talisman`s as such, but farm the 10 and 15 man HE's in the Stronghold and you can get Talisman's with a slot and an Overload slot.
    Main - Rydia (HR70) - Xbox One Player only
    Alts :
    Storm (SW70), Edge (TR70), AD Farm (CW70), Grunt (GF70), Rosa (DC70), AD AD AD (GWF70), Your Mum (OP70)

Member of Q-Snipe
  • Options
    john6522 said:

The warlock is just as fast as the mercenary really since it bleed procs the bondings, it actually doesn't have a two second cool down because of the bleed factor.

@indylol the cube is a bug and getting patched.

Ah but can you on occasion get 4 procs of Gift without the Warlock dying?
    Alts :
    Storm (SW70), Edge (TR70), AD Farm (CW70), Grunt (GF70), Rosa (DC70), AD AD AD (GWF70), Your Mum (OP70)

Member of Q-Snipe
  • Options
    buffalonightmarebuffalonightmare Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    zman81420 said:

Companion:

1) know how to stack them.

2) Fast attack, multiple procs of companions gifts

3) You can gain over 4 fold the stat gain over a 100% uptime augment when managed properly

4) Choose a companion that can fit your needs, stack offense or defense.

5) If this is still a debate I will have given up on humanity and its reasoning.

6) Buy a Lliiria bell to revive your companion instantly...continued gift proc.

Research this for you are honestly are being left behind. And for those who don't believe just try it and be happy you did.

I have benn playing for 9 months and I have looked up everything i can on Comp and how to get the most out of them so far I had Ioun Stone with double slotted rings. Could some one please break this down or (dumb it down) alittle for me? I read the link above. basically wonder how the bonding stones (gift proc'ing) makes you stonger? can you see an IL increase as i know sometimes you dont with enc in rings with Ioun stones? Also why 2x slotted rings of Recovery on the Air Arcon and not The armour Pen. I have a TR, Perfect Vorp, elemental gear, Yeti, Orc Dog, Liliand (harp playing fish) Rare Ioun Stone, Air Archon. Looking to hit the next level With your help. Thank you guys as all ways. Its a great community here IMHO
  • Options
    alos have about 3.5mill in Ad/zen willing and ready to fork out some loot to gain some incredible DPS
  • Options
    john6522 said:

@buffalonightmare three bonding runestones procs higher stats and spike damage during dungeons. More than what the flat stats of ioun stones will ever give you. They can procs up to 8 times if done correctly adding your power an additional 50K or more, add that with a buff/rebuff cleric and a CW and you're one hell of a DPS on a dungeon/skirmish run.

ok so how do i do it correctly? Mercenary or Air Archon Legendary? 3 bonding as high as i can afford and 3 double slotted rings with brutal in off and dark in def?
  • Options

john6522 said:

@buffalonightmare three bonding runestones procs higher stats and spike damage during dungeons. More than what the flat stats of ioun stones will ever give you. They can procs up to 8 times if done correctly adding your power an additional 50K or more, add that with a buff/rebuff cleric and a CW and you're one hell of a DPS on a dungeon/skirmish run.

ok so how do i do it correctly? Mercenary or Air Archon Legendary? 3 bonding as high as i can afford and 3 double slotted rings with brutal in off and dark in def?
    Depends on your class but I would say Merc over the Air Archon. I also made my Merc Legendary and he is fantastic with the right stats. Also its only worth getting Perfect Bonding Stones or higher for the 65% procs.
    Alts :

Member of Q-Snipe
  • Options
    john6522 said:

@wdj40 not sure. I can with the striker. I just have a warlock ready for mod 8 to test out.

I`ll have a play around with the Warlock tonight as I have the right equipment for it now. Its only Blue though and I don't really want to upgrade it if I end up not using it, plus I already have my Merc at Orange.
    Alts :

Member of Q-Snipe
  • Options
    sundance777sundance777 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User

We discussed this on the ranger board...top 5 companions... Ultimately it comes down to what you can afford... The mercenary is the best companion if you can afford rank 10+ bonding stones...here's the numbers...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fZt4W_SIDx9tMFcJLet5gevDmls1dyti88_G5j5kmR8/edit?usp=docslist_api

Long story short... Cat aka augment will get you a consistent 13,331 total points...

The merc routinely gets 3 procs right away and 4-5 isn't unheard of... He dies and comes back right away to proc more...Those 3 procs get you 34,800 total points...even if you don't get 3, 1 proc is 12968, 2 is 23,884...

Additionally the merc deals damage (decent dmg), bleed damage, grants you combat advantage since he gets behind the mob, and he'll occasionally draw aggro, freeing u up...

Btw, I play a trapper and a permabubble... Both run a legendary merc, both routinely have insane stats

Great post and spreadsheet, would you be willing to do a table on the dancing blade or at least comment on how you think it would compare to mercenary?
    TR - Sun: 16000 IL
    OP - Sunshine: 16000 IL

Casual Dailies
  • Options
    zak3056zak3056 Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    wdj40 said:

Also its only worth getting Perfect Bonding Stones or higher for the 65% procs.

I think it's "worth it" at greater. On paper, you're getting the same bonus as your augment (3 * 50% * (20/30) = 100%) but you have the chance of extra procs, which boosts things a bit. Also, I think if you wait for perfects and you're on a budget, you'll never get there. Building up from three greaters seems like the best way to ensure progress.

By the way, with regard to the numbers on mercenary vs air archon, it's obvious the merc wins on a pure stat level, but I've gotta ask: what happens when you factor in the 5% damage buff from the archon? 2200 stat points is pretty big, but I don't know if it's big enough to offset the active (and the lower ranked your bondings are, the more pronounced the difference becomes).

• Options
    soonergmsoonergm Member Posts: 503 Arc User
    You can have an air archon as an active and a merc as summoned.
    My Toons

SoonerGM - HR Trapper
    Haven - Righteous Cleric
    Ethereal Justice - OP Paladin
  • Options
    bahamutzero#2802 bahamutzero Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    For me, the Air Archon should always be in at least an unsummoned active slot even if you go with the Mercenary as your summoned companion. So the 5% buff wouldn't count as an additional benefit as you will be getting it regardless. Hope that makes sense.
  • Options
    zak3056 said:

wdj40 said:

Also its only worth getting Perfect Bonding Stones or higher for the 65% procs.

I think it's "worth it" at greater. On paper, you're getting the same bonus as your augment (3 * 50% * (20/30) = 100%) but you have the chance of extra procs, which boosts things a bit. Also, I think if you wait for perfects and you're on a budget, you'll never get there. Building up from three greaters seems like the best way to ensure progress.

By the way, with regard to the numbers on mercenary vs air archon, it's obvious the merc wins on a pure stat level, but I've gotta ask: what happens when you factor in the 5% damage buff from the archon? 2200 stat points is pretty big, but I don't know if it's big enough to offset the active (and the lower ranked your bondings are, the more pronounced the difference becomes).

I have the Air Archon as an Active anyway so I still benefit from that extra damage, along with a Fire and an Earth Archon all Purple :)
    Alts :

Member of Q-Snipe
  • Options
    xalorusxalorus Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    @john6522 Yes the warlock can give up to 6 procs of the gift. I have video of it and if you need a pm of my tag I would be happy to provide it. Tc and have fun
  • Options
    zak3056zak3056 Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    soonergm said:

You can have an air archon as an active and a merc as summoned.

Good point, I did indeed miss that in my calculations. I'll modify my position somewhat: what are you giving up by having the mercenary equipped? Another Archon? Erinyes? Blink Dog? Intellect Devourer? In the end, you're trading 2k stat points for SOME active bonus that MIGHT be better. Just wondering if anyone has done the math on that?
  • Options
    xalorus said:

@john6522 Yes the warlock can give up to 6 procs of the gift. I have video of it and if you need a pm of my tag I would be happy to provide it. Tc and have fun

All Companions can give up to 6 procs of Gift. I tested the Warlock out the other day and my DPS lowered due to the stats. I put 2 Talisman`s from the SH HE's and a double slotted Recovery item. I also tried swapping out that double slotted item and put in a 3rd item that can have Overload Enhancements.

I enjoyed watching and playing with the Warlock with 2 and 3 overloads, but it still gave me far fewer stats I actually wanted for my HR. Power was half of what I get with the Merc. Warlock was under 2k Power whilst my Merc has 3.7k plus 1.7k Crit.

I have to admit my Warlock is only Blue but I cannot imagine the stats are that much better at Epic.
    Alts :

Member of Q-Snipe
  • Options
    xalorusxalorus Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    @wdj40 What works for me may not work for others. Stick with what works for you. I push 40k power from 31k from the merc. 21k crit compared to 17k from the merc (for me he is dead before he can get anything else off. Maybe what works for ranged may not work as well for melee). I run power/crit talis-dragonflight ring crit/recover. You like having you extra offensive slot and bis I get that. Tc and enjoy.
  • Options
    xalorus said:

@wdj40 What works for me may not work for others. Stick with what works for you. I push 40k power from 31k from the merc. 21k crit compared to 17k from the merc (for me he is dead before he can get anything else off. Maybe what works for ranged may not work as well for melee). I run power/crit talis-dragonflight ring crit/recover. You like having you extra offensive slot and bis I get that. Tc and enjoy.

Oh yeah I totally understand that, its why I said earlier in the thread that the best Companion is probably different for each class :)

Weirdly since the last patch something has happened to my Merc. He had been doing fantastic for quite some time, then ever since the last downtime he literally dies all the time, to trash mobs in places like Dread Ring.

I`m sure something has happened, I have been mentioning on the bug report forum that the stats are not working properly for Companions (you can see when you revive a companion the HP number does not match up with what they are supposed to have etc) but that is a different issue I think.
    Alts :

Member of Q-Snipe
  • Options
    randomhateforumsrandomhateforums Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    I am curious what the numbers look like for Aranea, with 4 abilities it seems to offset some of the slower times.

Right now running Merc & Warlock and both seem to do well but looking at other supporting options from Leader/Controller roles.
  • Options
    bahamutzero#2802 bahamutzero Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    How much would the stats of the Merc increase if it was upgraded from Epic to Legendary (assuming you already have a different legendary companion in an active slot and get the 15% bonus regardless).
  • Options
    amafia313amafia313 Member Posts: 270 Arc User
    Stat increase from epic to legendary is very minimal. But the extra 15% could be worth your while with bondings proccing
  • Options
    cscriv79cscriv79 Member Posts: 398 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    A bit off topic, kinda.

Got the blacksmith companion and was unable to see any indications on screen or in the log of its active bonus, is this just a constant effect whether summoned or just active and is there a way to tell if it is activating and how often/much it is doing?

I am neither here nor there, for I am NevrCene

NevrCene: TR
    Melisandre: SW
    Brienne: GWF

Guild : Mystic Dawn (GH20)
  • Options

I am curious what the numbers look like for Aranea, with 4 abilities it seems to offset some of the slower times.

Right now running Merc & Warlock and both seem to do well but looking at other supporting options from Leader/Controller roles.

I have one of these and upgraded it to Purple, it is level 35. Its actually pretty decent and did not die much. I ended up going back to my Merc soon after. I am the same as you, I want to try out more Leader/Controller Companion... I`m after one that buffs/debuffs but procs Gift pretty fast.
    Alts :

Member of Q-Snipe
  • Options
    wmadosswmadoss Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited February 2016

How much would the stats of the Merc increase if it was upgraded from Epic to Legendary (assuming you already have a different legendary companion in an active slot and get the 15% bonus regardless).

The stats increase by around 200 (from around 420 to 620 depending on your companion bonus ability) for each power,crit and armpen so in total u get 600 extra statpoints.
    And with rank12 bondings and 3 stacks thats around 600 extra of each stat (around 1800 in total).
    And if you already didnt have a legendary companion you also get the 15% added aswell which can be up to another 800-1000 power, crit, armpen for instance.
  • Options
    So where can I get the Merc? I have air archon and Z. warlock but I'm getting Merc based on everyone's input here
  • Options
    armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    I'm considering getting the Mystic Phoera, does anyone know how that compares to the Merc?
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • Options
    wmadosswmadoss Member Posts: 22 Arc User

So where can I get the Merc? I have air archon and Z. warlock but I'm getting Merc based on everyone's input here

heirloom pack zen market