test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Art Developer Blog: Castle Never Returns!

strumslingerstrumslinger Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,724 Cryptic Developer
Jeff “LCDRMiller” Miller, an environment artist working on our The Maze Engine expansion shares with you what art went into the newly updated Castle Never dungeon!

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/9800253

Call me Andy (or Strum, or Spider-Man)!
Follow Neverwinter on Twitter: NeverwinterGame 
Like Neverwinter on Facebook: Neverwinter

Follow me on Twitter: StrumSlinger

Comments

• marsambassadormarsambassador Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    Jeff, this looks awesome! One thing that Neverwinter has always had going for it was the quality and variety of it's graphical environments. I was amazed before and now I'm simply blown away. I can't wait to play Castle Never again!!
  • putzboy78putzboy78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,950 Arc User
    or even better add back some of the dungeon tricks that got fixed?

On a more serious note, is lag considered in all they beauty treatments. I think its fair to say a good portion of the population play at low setting just to reduce client side lag. I'm one of them and teams for example play on all minimums. I can't even render the lava in elol, i monitor my actions to try and avoid this hassle.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    True, I've had shadows turned off in my game since Feywild because of Malalag.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    I don't recall many people complaining about how it looked....

But plenty are mad about it being turned into another demonic HE run though. Looks matter little if something is going to be bad. If PoM or TotDG was some grand piece of art it wouldn't matter because they melt your brain due to all the mindless repetitiveness.

Hell, spellplague caverns was hideous, but many of us enjoyed it because of the run through it.
  • krymkackrymkac Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    "First I’ll start by saying that we know how much the community loved this dungeon, and we here at Cryptic feel exactly the same."

That's why we decided to seal all the doors to bonus areas and didn't bother to cut them off. So you could still see them! That's why instead of epic hordes of enemies we put player's favorite - encounters! And not just any encounters mind you - DEMONIC encounters! That's why we even made the dungeon 3 times shorter! Cause you players love tunnels right!? You love running elol over & over again just for the fun of being in a tunnel! Fantastic, right?! Awesome, right?!! Rejoice! Aren't we brilliant?!
  • looomislooomis Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 253 Arc User
    Wooden walls? You should reassess your priorities. Please.

Lightning? Client lag -> lowest settings.

I think Cryptic has too many environment artists if they do remodel objects that were fine 2 years ago.
  • madziggy1madziggy1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 8 Arc User
    Omg, who cares about the looks?
    People just want some true endgame dungeons. Not those 10-min runs for nothing. WITH A NEW SHADOWS!
  • equality00equality00 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    It looks great.

Good Job.
  • marsambassadormarsambassador Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Wait...what??? You chopped this dungeon to 1/4 of its previous length and replaced the content with a strong of demon heroic encounters?? Are you kidding me? Wow. You guys would have been better off just leaving it out of the game. You're better off courting disappointment with fans that way instead of provoking all-out ire by messing with what used to be the absolutely best content this game has ever had. Why would you do that???

In other news, I can't get over how badly you've overshadowed the dungeons coming back by dropping news of pulling coal wards from tarm bar. Castle Never coming back should be a big story for gamers, but this thread has just 347 views and 10 comments. The thread discussing change to coal wards has 27,000 views and 25 pages on comments in just a few days. And how many pages were deleted by mods? 5 or more?

Pulling coal wards may even be a stupider move than pulling AD from leadership. At least there are other ways to earn AD. But now you need to pay $10 cold hard cash to get coal wards. There is no other way to get them. And nobody is going to pay $310 just to get a single rank 12. That's $620 just to get rank 12 armour and weapon enchants on a single character. That means sellers need to charge 12 million AD for a Transcendent in the AH just to break even. How does that make sense???

Sad what has happened to this game. Just plain sad.
  • psistarprimepsistarprime Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    Wow. The players were begging for the return of truly epic dungeons. What did we get? Lighting that beams in from windows on opposite sides of a hallway at the same opposing angles? 1/4 of a fan favorite dungeon updated with mobs from the content fans dislike the most? Most players I know would have been very happy to play the full length CN dungeon with the original mobs upgraded to level 70+ (like we have in SH HEs.) These dungeon revamps are falling flatter than D&D 4th Ed. The more details I see about Mod 9, the more I feel like deleting my account :-(

I really USED to enjoy this game.