test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Small change to reduce a bit of the power creep

somtaawkharsomtaawkhar Member Posts: 18 Arc User
Neverwinter, like any MMO with multiple content updates, suffers from power creep making new content increasingly easily.

A small, but not insignificant, part of this is due to campaign boons, which players have been stacking over 5 normal campaigns, the stronghold, and a PVP campaign.

Cryptic's other game, Star Trek Online, suffered this same problem due to its reputation system, and its reputation powers. STO however has made a moves to reduce, and even halt, this power creep, despite constantly adding in new reputations, and I feel this move work would well for Neverwinter also.

Star Trek Online got rid of the choice between boons, simply giving you access to all of them when you unlocked that rank in the reputation, however you can only use 4 offensive based boons, and 4 defensive based boons, as well at 4 tier 5 boons in Star Trek Online, forcing the player to pick only a handful of boons to use at any given time.

This would take us down from the 20 tier 1-4 boons we have now in Neverwinter from all the PVE campaigns, down to 8. While still allowing us to have 4 of the tier 4 boons, giving us 12 total, down from 25 total.

This would greatly limit all the stat stacking we have going on now, and halt any future power creep from campaign boons as, no matter how many more campaigns they add in, you would still be limited to 4 offensive based boons, 4 defensive based ones, and 4 tier 5 boons.

Star Trek Online did not to long ago give players the ability to buy a 5th slot for each, at the cost of a large amount of lithium, its version of Astral Diamonds, and this could be transferred over as to something you can buy at a guild stronghold or something. But even with the 5th slot for each type, you are still limited to 15, compared to the 25 we have now, and would still be stuck at that limit even if they add 6+ more campaigns in the future.

Comments

• Options
    Except for the fact they did in their own game.
  • Options
    aaramis75aaramis75 Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    Hate to break it to you, but it gets worse in Maze Engine based on what I saw on preview. Mounts now giving extra stats (+2000 on purple mounts to a particular stat depending on your mount) and new equippable slots (with set powers), just boost things even further.
  • Options

I think it can be a good idea, all geared players will lynch you for this proposition but I think your idea it's fair. t should reduce difference from one player to another and make the content just a bit more hard (but just a bit).
    Anyway the biggest differences come from equipment (p2w).

If you think Neverwinter is P2W, go play a Korean MMO, THAT is pay to win.

Also, gear totals have a smaller effect on power then you think. Gear rarity comes at an exponentially rising cost, for exponentially lower +stat increases. The difference between game start and 2,500-2,800 IL is an increase in power of several 100%. However, going from an R7 rune, to that of an R12, is an increase of 1.75%. All in all going from R7 runes, and other gear rarity of the same level as R7's, to that of mythic level artifacts and the such is really only an increase of like 25%. Which is a fairly large difference in terms of PVP, but in PVE it means nothing since any 2,500-2,800 IL character can beat everything in the game, and so few people actually bother to spend the large amounts of dosh to reach like IL 4,200 that they were never going to get content made for them. Not to mention the fact that around 410IL of the max comes from utility enchants which add nothing to your character's overall power. Making the IL gap between 2,500-2,800, and that of like 4,200 even more insignificant then it is already. IL and ultra rank R12 enchants/mythic level gear is nothing but a scam for idiots who don't bother to learn the math of the game they are playing and who dont realize its totally pointless.

But back to the original subject, another move to reduce power creep is to change stats from flat increases of "400 score = +1%" to that of a diminishing return system like in Star Trek Online.

This, on top of the boon thing, wold further reduce power creep, by making going from a +300 stat artifact, to a +1000 stat artifact, even more trivial then it already is.

• Options
    edited February 2016

. Enchantments from 7 to 12 give you another 10%

Impossible. The game's stats go at a scale of 400 = 1% increase.

Even if you stacked 5 of them, going from the 230 of R7, to the 700 of R12, would only net you, at MAX, a +5.875% increase in power for that one stat.

700 - 230 = 470
    470 * 5 = 2350
    2350 / 400 = 5.875

And even if you use even one of those for something other then that one stat, it will drop dramatically.
  • Options
    putzboy78putzboy78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,950 Arc User
    edited February 2016

Before (mod 5) there was diminishing returns and it was good.

You mean before mod 6 and we still had the garbage stats of HP and Power

*garbage = the place we dumped everything that hitting DR on everything else

• Options
    b3llist0rb3llist0r Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 191 Arc User
    edited February 2016

. Enchantments from 7 to 12 give you another 10%

Impossible. The game's stats go at a scale of 400 = 1% increase.

Even if you stacked 5 of them, going from the 230 of R7, to the 700 of R12, would only net you, at MAX, a +5.875% increase in power for that one stat.

700 - 230 = 470
    470 * 5 = 2350
    2350 / 400 = 5.875

And even if you use even one of those for something other then that one stat, it will drop dramatically.
    Impossible! -Really?

- Not all stats. ArP scales 1% per 100 rating, Recovery scales 1% / 200 rating.
    - "MAX" means we are talking about a maximum. No assumptions. Weapon(2), off-hand(1), rings(2/4), shirt(1), Neck(1) and augment companion slots (6/9) = 13/18 offense slots means around 15% / 21%.
    - Dual-stat and bonding even have higher stats and bonding trigger companions double/tripple the effect.
    - You could have argued that a +x% increase in power is not the same as an +x% increase in dps because we have to calc the increase in percent from one multiplier to the next...
    - "And even if you use even one of those for something other then that one stat, it will drop dramatically" -The DPS will drop when I switch from power to crit? ;-)

Power creep is heavy in NW. I never never understood why they removed diminishing returns (instead of trimming it) at the point the game needs it the most...

//Bellistor
  • Options
    silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    Except boons are available to all players, enchants , perfect plus bondings , loyal ect gear isnt. artifact such as lostmouth, wheel, tiamat and/or perfect ones for your setup.. ARE not available to all players.

You are doing nothing but reducing new players growth progression.

Its more reasonable to put caps back into place and reduce some of the ridiculous on stacking.

Do you think removing 2000 stats or whatever will effectively make power progression that much different? You can just buy one more mount.. bam.. there you go. Making the game alot further out of reach to regular players who dont want to spend money.

I will tell you.. reduction will not do much to a geared out player at all, it WILL however hurt a newer player without r10s slotted in every slot.

Where that cap should be? Is very hard to tell.. considering the power curve.

Putting a very harsh one in game, will alleviate making things easy, but it will also devastate everything except the perfect builds.. and that is how MOD 6 start was and thousands of people got upset about it.

Other games permanent modifiers had like 6 slots, you could get like 15 different ones and you chose.. but in reality it made the game much LESS grindy, cause no one got 15.. you got the 6 you were going to use and thats it. Since each one could be done separately and wasn't part of a campaign.

• Options
    how or why wouldnt they get the boons?

The only that are hard is the last 2 in ToD.. just skip them.

EVERY other player can get the rest.

• Options
    malfoirmalfoir Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 39 Arc User

Yes, before Mod 6 as Putz said. There was a soft cap in Critical Strike for example.

Without soft caps the moaners will never stop, it's in their interest to lower the power creep.

If DR comes back then SH Boons are NERFed but like some one says below...

Available is a big word. There are player that will not gain half of those boons in their lifetime. Or even a quarter.

...Powercreep is being filled up... A thousand ArP, a thousands Crits, a thousand Powers, millions way waste your money... we never get back...
  • Options
    Ah.. so its not the boons, its the stronghold boons?

Is this what this boils down to?

The rest of the boons are easily gotten.. heck underdark might have been the Easiest .. if not the most annoying of all the campaigns we had gotten.

Please bear in mind.. my feedback has since IWD.. not to give us any more campaigns.. they are boring to me.. I just want dungeons to run and real rewards for running them.. hopefully in escalating order to make them harder and harder and give more risk vs reward each time.

• Options
    Hmmm.

I will disagree. its not.. you can do 3-4 of these campaigns a day.. you have chosen to skip them it appears, though I dont know why.

• Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    You can work on them simultaneously. If you manage your time well and skip any quests that you don't need to run every day, you're looking at maybe 15-20 minutes each for Shar/DR, a bit longer for IWD depending how long it takes to get your ice, and however long you want to spend in WoD or on the older Tyranny stuff. (Edit: This assumes your character is not trash and doesn't take ten minutes to kill a powrie.)

Boons really are pretty easy to get.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User

How much time before you get to T5 boon? That's what matters.

That's nonsense. Each boon provides an incremental boost to your character, and some of the higher tier ones are less significant for some classes than lower ones. They are something anybody can progress steadily (even while skipping days) without looking at paying a fortune for them.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    luks707luks707 Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    The real issue is the stronghold boons. They are 1. harder to get 2. much much more powerful. 3. not connected to anything an individual does. To me that is all wrong. I could join a level 20 guild tomorrow and have max boons based on the work they put in. I could help a level 20 guild get there and then get booted and have nothing but guild mark to show for it. When you're looking at 8k in stats (32k HP) the difference is bigger than any rank 12s. That is why content is becoming easier and easier. Other than in PVP where of course both sides have them.
  • Options
    bernatkbernatk Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 115 Arc User

Star Trek Online got rid of the choice between boons, simply giving

Do not ask for it. The old system was better. Be glad NW still has this system.

JMYwySk.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    luks707 said:

The real issue is the stronghold boons. They are 1. harder to get 2. much much more powerful. 3. not connected to anything an individual does. To me that is all wrong. I could join a level 20 guild tomorrow and have max boons based on the work they put in. I could help a level 20 guild get there and then get booted and have nothing but guild mark to show for it. When you're looking at 8k in stats (32k HP) the difference is bigger than any rank 12s. That is why content is becoming easier and easier. Other than in PVP where of course both sides have them.

hmm, that is true and if they ever tone down those "SH boons" huh...

Each campaign ZONE takes 30 - 60 minutes to complete,

Sharandra, 1 - 3 ZONE´s , depends if unlocked all.
    Dread Ring, 1 ZONE, quest you get depends - How far you gone in campaing
    IWD, 1 - 2 ZONE + instance missions, after few week you get DW open
    Tyranny Dragons, wide area questing, multiple location to go and do things

Underdork, Stronghold, daily dungeons, skirmish, mimic feeds... and takes just few hours per day, hmmm, 2 - 4 hours .... what I missing?

ps. And all are REPEATs now for SH...

• Options
    I proposed that you dont lose boons if you leave guild, once activated they stay no matter what, to the level you had them opened to.. I think it is a good protection overall.

The issue is the millions upon millions each individual had to throw in terms of AD and resources and time at the coffer.

How to make them worthshile... sadly they already devalued the whole process once, by basically ripping away the weapons from us.

I think the concept on the whole was good, but costing and reward is strictly via boons pretty much as gear is medicore or bad for some classes for pve purposes anyways.

Most poeple hate the drains/wards and would wish they were not in game.

I think overall more people will have access to boons soon, as they will lower cost .. mid level guilds, should see a marked increase on how fast they accumulate items and AD to progress.

• Options
    Yes, less power creep is good, just take power away and roll back to mod1 to 2, I agree, ;).

I wouldn't consider anything that person says as valid..

Like many, I would like to stop this and ask for this deceptive practice to stop.

• Options
    wisper2048wisper2048 Member Posts: 187 Arc User

x becky: You were saying that it's fast to do campaign, it's not. It doesn't matter which boon is the best. And yes T5 Dread Ring boon it's probably the best of the game for many characters.
    It takes time and effort. You are talking like people who have lot of time and just one toon. A pretty selfish POV, life is different for everyone, inside the game too. A mature POV should help.

I have recently created CW and got to level 70 two month ago:
    • Dread Ring - complete
    • Underdark - complete
    • Sharandar - third boon complete
    • ToD - 5 boons complete
    • IWD - 4 boons (I was saving currency for black ice shaping, so I could have got 5th instead).
    Since it is alt, I bought a dusk armor the moment it reached level 70 and this really helped. I have 5 other alts, but for them I've done only weeklies and underdark since they have all boons except for last two in ToD.