test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Future of NW without gentlemancrush

gankdalf#8991 gankdalf Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 930 Arc User
gentlemancrush is leaving or has already left Neverwinter. As I understand it, he did most of the heavy lifting when it came to classes, balance etc. He did most of the work behind OP if the rumors are true. Im not gonna discuss where hes work has taken this game, good or bad.

Been playing this game since beta. Now in my opinion as a PvP player but also one that enjoys PvE, I really need to know where this game is heading without gentlemancrush. This game needs quite a lot of work when it comes to the classes and balance. Actually the whole PvP needs a makeover. And for god sake NEW maps. TWO maps since beta like 3 years ago? Really?

I dont think its ever been this bad. But the game is also getting boring because nothing new has been introduced to our classes. All classes needs new paths. Some classes needs major re-work done (DC/OP). Many other classes needs balancing and bug fixing. A lot of items/powers/feats are not working as WAI and its breaking down the game.

So what does the future hold for Neverwinter without gentlemancrush? Is anyone even taking his place? Anyone working on these issues at all? And when? Honestly the game needs all this today. Do we have to wait months and months for anything to happen in these areas?

For now I would be satisfied with something short without much details.

Did someone replace gentlemancrush with class codings? Yes/No?
Are you working on things like balance and new paths? Yes/No?
Can we see any major changes within 3 months? Yes/No?

▁ ▂ ▄ ▅ ▆ ▇ █ Gankdalf The Icehole █ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▂ ▁

Comments

• Options
    vinceent1vinceent1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,264 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    we are not ready to talk about them yet, somewhen after new year is established we start spread info about new module and long promised NCL
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User

He did most of the work behind OP if the rumors are true.

The OP is arguably the most broken class in both PvE and PvP right now.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    reposterzreposterz Member Posts: 293 Arc User
    Sometimes change is good, this should be considered a good change... new guys need to prove themselves though!
  • Options
    gankdalf#8991 gankdalf Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 930 Arc User

Did someone replace gentlemancrush with class codings? Yes/No?
    Can we see any major changes within 3 months? Yes/No?

The first isn't our business to know. We'll find out soon enough how capable Cryptic is. We don't need access to their HRM department for that. All we need is to see how the game will -or will not- improve.

Yes, they are working on balancing. But that's not the answer you want to hear. You want a deadline. And we all know they will not commit to anything unless it's already done. Don't expect any answer that will satisfy you.
    I want to know if its worth spending another 3 months in the game when their lead class-balance coder left the game. Since the game is so broken and boring without the fixes an answer to that is very much needed.

"Yes, they are working on balancing."
    How do you know? And how much work are they putting into it? Because it needs A LOT. A few small changes/fixes is not enough. And if they are working on it, they should be able to give an ETA, even if its not written in stone. Just an estimate is good for now.

Is it like fixing the Elven battle? Its been broken for months and months and still no fix out for one major broken item. Are we suppose the expect that kind of commitment to all the class changes/balance that is needed? Life is way to short for that.

▁ ▂ ▄ ▅ ▆ ▇ █ Gankdalf The Icehole █ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▂ ▁

• Options
    rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    i wouldnt call it a deadline, without gmcrush which i hardly doubt he was working toward any balance chance it gets even more diffucult to have those changes.
  • Options
    fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 675 Arc User
    He did a lot if work on CO and is/was a professed disliker if PvP, so I am interested to see where it will go.
  • Options
    santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User

Arguably? On the other end of the metrics is SW/HR, I suppose....
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User

I want to know if its worth spending another 3 months in the game when their lead class-balance coder left the game. Since the game is so broken and boring without the fixes an answer to that is very much needed.

I think you're looking at this wrong. Are you happy with the current class-balance in Neverwinter?

Or is this an opportunity for someone with a fresh perspective or new ideas to step into the role?
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    I'm more worried about the future of NW in general considering that we haven't heard a single thing about what's coming, any new modules? any future changes? We're already 2 months or so in the last module and by now we have had usually some idea on what's coming next, we knew the concept behind the new module, or some of the stuff that's coming but now we've had zero information. I really hope there are some new plans for the foundry, because with each module that we get it gets more and more ignored and we have less and less authors interested in the game, to the point that now is probably just a part of the game no one uses, and all of it's potential is completely wasted.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    reiwulf said:

I'm more worried about the future of NW in general considering that we haven't heard a single thing about what's coming, any new modules? any future changes? We're already 2 months or so in the last module and by now we have had usually some idea on what's coming next, we knew the concept behind the new module, or some of the stuff that's coming but now we've had zero information.

Underdark launched on November 17th. So it's about 5 weeks old. That's closer to 1 month old than "2 months or so".

You'll hear more in January, I'm sure of it. Typically they'll start announcing stuff 6-8 weeks before the planned launch of the next Module. I think the Underdark announcement came at the end of September. So I would anticipate new stuff for Module 9 (or whatever they call the next content update) to come in or around the second week of January, with a release date towards the end of March.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    karakla1karakla1 Member Posts: 1,355 Arc User
    Guys and girls "calm the f... down"
    plat.png
    Platypus wielding a giant hammer, your argument is invalild!
  • Options
    mynaammynaam Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 937 Arc User
    edited December 2015

Mod 9 is going to be "Alas more Underdark that we didn't finish on time" kind of like the double release of tyranny of the dragons. So settle in for a bumpy ride...

https://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/board-games/tyrants-underdark

So maybe we will get to go to the Underdark for Open-World PVP? That would be sweet.
    Please no . In the last 2 mods they have concentrated on large guild, concentrated on PVP and just wasted our time with the last one. It is time that PVE get something we have not gotten real replayable PVE content since 2014.

Waiting more than a year is not good enough. And just bringing back the old dungeons(which should return) does not count as NEW content either.... it just count as repairing yet another mistake made nearly a year ago.
    There are more than BIS players in this game
    RIP Real Tiamat, RIP Real Demogorgon RIP real Temple of the spider. Why remove non bis content to give to bis players ????
    FORCING the majority of your player base to play 4 mod old dungeons and trial will have a bad result on player base
    Changes are getting so bad i would rather prefer no new changes (RIP ICE FISHING in winter fest)

• Options
    candinho2candinho2 Member Posts: 550 Arc User
    I only care about SW rework
  • Options
    reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    I hope we'll get some more Underdark related stuff then too. New Areas, new dungeons, etc. And yeah. I thought UNderdark had launched at thre beginning of Nov which would have made it closer to 2 months, I stand corrected.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    empalasempalas Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 802 Arc User
    Last year it was Jan 20th before they announced the EE module. Sometimes they announce modules early like "Underdark" only because WotC forces their hand with announcing upcoming D&D content. And remember the only thing certain is change.
  • Options
    adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    I just hope to get some solo-friendly PvE content...recently there has been far too much attention on PvP and "big guild" stuff...leaving a substantial part of the playerbade feeling...well...forgotten.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • Options
    armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    I'd prefer the next major update to be all about fixes rather than new content. A content refresh if you like.

It would be nice to see the old dungeons back but with a 3 tier system.
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • Options
    kropek1991kropek1991 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    If he was responsible for class balance....He should never get this job. If person who will replace him...isn't neverwinter fan and do not play this game for some period of time....i am afraid it will be continue of broken things like perma bubladins etc.

PS. if he was responsible for balance- was it really so hard for example. to block OP gaining daily during when he has already daily? Like it was with perma supremacy of steel for GF? Some small changes and whole pvp community would be "partly satisfaied".
  • Options
    kriptical1kriptical1 Member Posts: 284 Arc User
    Chuck pvp,and start making a raiding game, a real end game, as it were..
  • Options
    hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,460 Arc User

He did most of the work behind OP if the rumors are true.

Hear, hear.

I just finished getting my OP through the EE quest line a few minutes ago (I know, I refused to start one for the longest time out of protest of the survivability nerfs, but they put enough back in with mod 8 that I decided to end my boycott). Getting back on-topic, now that I've played one all the way through Spinward Rise, I'm even more adamant that the OP is ridiculously -- insanely -- OP. A 1.7k IL OP can breeze through all of the EE lairs in ways that even BiS characters of other classes cannot. Now I see why mod 6 was such a survivability disaster; NWO in "not a paladin" mode is a **completely** different experience than NWO in "paladin" mode. How in God's name did mod 6 ever get out the door? It isn't even remotely balanced.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • Options
    zacazuzacazu Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,934 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    "Did someone replace gentlemancrush with class codings? Yes/No?
    Can we see any major changes within 3 months? Yes/No?"

the "future" of balance, for the next module or more, will be replace status itens by effects itens i guess.

that means:
    no
    +/-
    no.
  • Options
    lyaiselyaise Member Posts: 491 Arc User

Chuck pvp,and start making a raiding game, a real end game, as it were..

That would require actual in depth resource - something which just doesn't appear to be there.

People may see my posts as constantly negative, and probably not too far off with that, but it's simply borne out of sheer frustration of how the game could be.

Neverwinter has great combat mechanics - mechanics that leave a lot of other games in the dust.
    The Foundry - the ability for players to make often excellent story driven instances.
    The whole D&D thing - linking the game with the world famous franchise.
    The different class builds - giving players the opportunity to customize the character to different play styles, even different roles.
    Dungeons - which could be some of the best around.

All currently wasted opportunities........

This is why players get frustrated, when they see how good the game could be with some effort from the development team. But are met instead with bugs, flaws, non-working features, removed content, never delivered promises of fixes or returning content, apparent lack of quality control in new releases.

So I say at the ending of this year - come on Cryptic, do something. Change this road that you have stumbled down in 2015 that is leading only to decline.
    Turn yourself around for 2016, surprise and delight the players - existing and new - word would soon get round. Rip up this minimal is good enough script and write a new one where excellence is the standard. Become an example to the players and to the wider gaming environment, of how you have turned into a standard bearer for quality content.

It takes effort, it takes resource - but firstly, it takes your desire - without which nothing else will happen.

Turn this game into what it could be.
    ...............vote for your favourite expansion..........
    "Mod 6. Oh my f****** god. It gutted the game pure and simple. And what wasn't gutted was messed up by the poorly thought out new level cap and equip. The game never recovered from that atrocity".
    ..............not this one then.............