What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Mod 8 game design failures and how to avoid them in Mod 9

2»

Comments

• Options
    rickcase276rickcase276 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,404 Arc User
    I personally think that the main problem is that the majority of all the players that play the game are ones that are here one day and gone the next, or they are not really concerned about having difficult content. And many of those do not even know or care that there is even a forum for the game. And in the end, it is these types of players that Cryptic is making the game for, not those that are high end geared. Do I think it needs content for those that are high-end geared, yes. But I somehow doubt that they will make it.

And for the most part, the majority of players could care less if someone can run dungeons solo if over-geared for them, or even what builds are posted online. Hence the reason why there are skills and powers that are not used by many players, but are still used by some and are available to be used. And they will find offense when someone tries to tell them they are playing their character wrong, as to them they are playing it their way which for them is the right way to play. That is the main problem with the votekick option, and why I think it should be removed.

But in the end, these are my opinions, and I play the game for my own enjoyment and reasons. Do I want to be BiS, no, nor do I care about it. I will keep slowly leveling my enchants and artifacts, if they get maxed they do. If not that is good too.

• Options
    blinxonblinxon Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    urabask said:

pixxylee said:

I like the idea of having the random drops for the rings. For me it is an equalizer. It gives anyone a chance at having something special. Something that can't be bought, something that can't be gotten in a lockbox, something you can get without being in a top guild, etc. My main character is in a small Rank 6 guild and I don't have BIS equipment, I don't have Dragonflight, I don't open lockboxes, I don't have VIP, I don't have armies doing professions, I don't have all Rank 25 professions, etc. What I do have is a chance at getting a good ring and something I can be proud of. So I'd like to thank the devs for giving anyone a chance a something nice.

Translation: Thank you devs for giving me a .1% chance to have some orange pixels on my character sheet.
    Nop. Better translation:
    "Thx to cryptic that i can get a ring cuzz others are good enough to make demo easy, but im proud of it cuzz i opened the chest alone with no help..."
  • Options
    pixxyleepixxylee Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14 Arc User
    blinxon said:

Nop. Better translation:
    "Thx to cryptic that i can get a ring cuzz others are good enough to make demo easy, but im proud of it cuzz i opened the chest alone with no help..."

For some folks that might be true. I don't mind if I carry people through something and they get a reward. In fact I make it a point to help guildies and others get better gear by taking them through things. If you are bothered by that then fine. To each their own.
  • Options
    urabaskurabask Member Posts: 2,923 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    blinxon said:

urabask said:

pixxylee said:

I like the idea of having the random drops for the rings. For me it is an equalizer. It gives anyone a chance at having something special. Something that can't be bought, something that can't be gotten in a lockbox, something you can get without being in a top guild, etc. My main character is in a small Rank 6 guild and I don't have BIS equipment, I don't have Dragonflight, I don't open lockboxes, I don't have VIP, I don't have armies doing professions, I don't have all Rank 25 professions, etc. What I do have is a chance at getting a good ring and something I can be proud of. So I'd like to thank the devs for giving anyone a chance a something nice.

Translation: Thank you devs for giving me a .1% chance to have some orange pixels on my character sheet.
    Nop. Better translation:
    I wish others made demo easy. Usually they're busy throwing goristro into black holes though.
    I8r4ux9.jpg
  • Options
    lyaiselyaise Member Posts: 491 Arc User
    If they didn't learn from Mod 6, then I doubt they'll suddenly improve with a 'dream expansion' of Mod 9 (or 10 or 11.....).
    Every expansion sees the remaining player base hoping that "this will be the one"

- The one that doesn't introduce more bugs
    - The one that isn't re-skinned old areas
    - The one that fixes glaring deficiencies in class feat trees
    - The one that fixes all the bugs introduced by every previous expansion
    - The one that is not a new, (but depressingly familiar), micro-incremental grind process
    - The one that doesn't place yet more requirements on cash shop items

Still waiting for the miracle expansion? The return to something like the game used to be?

It would take such an investment in manpower that it moves further out of reach with every bugged Mod.
    ...............vote for your favourite expansion..........
    "Mod 6. Oh my f****** god. It gutted the game pure and simple. And what wasn't gutted was messed up by the poorly thought out new level cap and equip. The game never recovered from that atrocity".
    ..............not this one then.............
  • Options
    urlord283urlord283 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,084 Arc User
    I PVP every day... at least twice a day,

I get killed, I do some damage, we win or we lose.

I notice the AP drain and the perma-roots

It seems common but not overwhelming

The big problem is premades

Split the queues

everything else can wait
  • Options
    santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    I read your post and agree with the vast majority of it. I did note, however that the devs pretty much got this right:

-If you introduce new weapons in every mod don't increase base damage but rather add different bonus set powers.
    Same with every new gear.

There are a number of new weapons, but they all have the same base damage as the Stronghold weapon (which they have apparently *not* gotten right yet). In fact, Stronghold Weapons (Mod 7) have yet to appear.

The armor in mod 8 is not as good or only equals top armor from Mod 6. My GF has El. Battlefield Executioner and can't find a reason to upgrade. As an alt, I haven't done enough DFs or ShPVP to get him guild-based gear yet. He may swap a piece or 2 eventually.

My GWF main went for Drow vambraces over DF for a higher Crit rating on them, but that was the only piece/reason to go with Drow.

People that plan to fight demons *ALOT* might want them for the demon-specific bonuses, but they are not better, overall.
  • Options
    santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    zukn75 said:

I truly don't mind random drops, not everyone should have everything. I loathe token systems, because a token system (Seals) means repetive grind. I'd rather an HONEST %5 drop rate on items from weekly dungeons/raids, than the current infinitely repeatable token system we have,

+10 Repeat after me: Seals are not treasure!
  • Options
    lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User

zukn75 said:

I truly don't mind random drops, not everyone should have everything. I loathe token systems, because a token system (Seals) means repetive grind. I'd rather an HONEST %5 drop rate on items from weekly dungeons/raids, than the current infinitely repeatable token system we have,

+10 Repeat after me: Seals are not treasure!
    However, they do award treasure eventually.
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • Options
    deathbeezdeathbeez Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 789 Arc User

i find the OPness of the OP really annoying,

True that.
    I get they always release a class overpowered (and attractive to make) so people will feed it with currency.
    But they usually get around to balancing it again sooner or later.
    This didn't happen. And the OP has been the OP class for 3 mods now.
    I believe the NWO staff restructuring was the cause of this slip.

I've ran PUGs where everybody is dead and the OP is just chilling with zero fear of death and by far the lowest item level.
    A GF has to have a much higher item level to compete as a tank then an OP.

I'm going to assume it will stay this way till the Druid comes out as the new Scourge Warlock that everyone will flock to...and spend $ on.
  • Options
    lyaiselyaise Member Posts: 491 Arc User
    edited December 2015

For any of these problems to be addressed the following first has to be in place.
    - Developers that listen.
    - Developers that can deliver.
    - A company that is well run and knows how to satisfy most of its customers.

Asking to fix broken classes, major bugs, balance classes, come up with pvp that is enjoyable for average players, come up with innovative ideas, etc. etc. - none of this is going to happen until the more fundamental problems are fixed.

Sadly I agree, and it is pretty depressing to acknowledge that little will improve - probably get worse in fact - until the game Company finds the will to invest in employees.

Personally it would be the best news for a long time if Cryptic announced a renewed focus on the game with an increase in experienced developers.
    As I'm spending more time on another mmo now - I can wait for this news. If it never comes, then that matches the timespan of my wallet opening again for not only this game, but for all Cryptic games.

Over to you Cryptic..........
    ...............vote for your favourite expansion..........
    "Mod 6. Oh my f****** god. It gutted the game pure and simple. And what wasn't gutted was messed up by the poorly thought out new level cap and equip. The game never recovered from that atrocity".
    ..............not this one then.............
  • Options
    reposterzreposterz Member Posts: 293 Arc User
    I think most people do not understand what the devs go through to make the game. It is true that Mod 6,7 and 8 are not very newbie friendly and as absorbing to the audience then when the game first came out till Mod 5. The devs have trouble making very effective patches but I believe they are trying their best. Maybe some new blood in the dev team is required to maintain public expectations.