test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

WoD: Fetch Quest should be changed

josephskyrimjosephskyrim Member Posts: 356 Arc User
One of the most irritating quests in WoD that really needs an overhaul. So you get a spirit wolf to howl up some dragon bones but guess what? The ghost dogs enjoy wasting your time by getting you to dig up old boots. My record is around 11 boots in a row so far which is only made more irritating by it being a pseudo-pvp quest in that you have to compete with other people digging up bones (or more likely, old boots).

Poorly designed quest, and one that needs alteration given the amount of other content that can be done in its place. Upping the success rate of finding dragon bones to 100% would be a good start.

I know the psuedo-pvp stuff of IWD has been alleviated somewhat so I can only hope a similar thing happens here.
If you can't stand on a chest, it is a mimic!

Comments

• Options
    ultradd#1718 ultradd Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    Hey at least your wolf doesn't suddenly run away and you can't complete quest.
  • Options
    silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    oh it sucked back when it was released , we gave our feedback and I think they made a change to some of it, but it still sucks. It should be 100% every time you dig , you get a bone. That is the simple short of it.. they just make things way.. too complicated for thier own good.

Skip the quest, thats my advice.. do it once to see it, then skip it.
  • Options
    instynctiveinstynctive Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,885 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    I ran into an issue that I'd never had with my spirit wolf the other day... it actually got trapped by the environment! Wedged in between a couple of rocks. No problem.. I went up to the pretentious elf to get a new one, and she wouldn't give me one.

But, as with most "issues" in the game, I switched instances and was able to get a new spirit wolf and complete the quest.
    header.png
    "...I grab my wiener and charge!" - ironzerg79
  • Options
    tantrumusmaximustantrumusmaximus Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    LOL@OP I hear you and I just never take that quest because it just SUCKS.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User

Never got any old boots. As for the so-called "pseudo-pvp"... never had any issues with it. If there's too many people on that quest I change instances or do it later. People are so easily irritated by anything that doesn't go in the most convenient way possible these days.

The quest has a random chance to give you old boots instead of bones. This is actually funny the first time it happens. It gets really f'n old really f'n fast, because the probability of getting boots is much too high. It's a badly designed quest, and I agree with @silverkelt. Do it once, then never, ever take it again. Even saving it to do on a day it's not offered can rapidly turn into an exercise in frustration. The problems are compounded because a low DPS character can even have their interact spot time out while fighting, while the wolf runs off and marks another location, and the wolf is frequently uncooperative and will insist on marking a guarded location while you stand on an unprotected area that you know can be marked.

The only "change" they've made to it is a fix to a bug from launch where instances would get bugged and stop allowing people to dig at all. That was fixed promptly, but the actual obnoxious mechanics have never been addressed. Weirdly, their lampshaded "Fetch Quest" has a ton of stuff going on it to hinder the player from simply fetching the requested macguffins. I suspect they were going for satire, but jokes like this are rarely funny the second time around. I actually think it would work as a non-repeatable mission where the wolf leads you on a linear runaround until you finally succeed, especially if you had a dialogue option to tear a strip off the quest-giver when you turn it in. As a repeated mission? NO THANK YOU.

Compare this one to Caravan Documents in Icewind Pass. There is a fail chance there, where a crate might not drop documents, and crates can spawn a variety of critters, although not all of them are automatically hostile. Some crates even have a guaranteed monster spawn. But there is no competition for the crates because all players can interact with the same one. The probability of not getting documents from any single crate is low enough that the player doesn't usually even need to visit the more heavily guarded caravans. The game puts some obstacles in your way, but not enough of them to force total dislike and disengagement.

I ran into an issue that I'd never had with my spirit wolf the other day... it actually got trapped by the environment! Wedged in between a couple of rocks. No problem.. I went up to the pretentious elf to get a new one, and she wouldn't give me one.

But, as with most "issues" in the game, I switched instances and was able to get a new spirit wolf and complete the quest.

Creepy whiteface will only give you a new wolf if yours has despawned, so if it gets stuck in the terrain, you need to log out, travel, or change instance to force the despawn. Otherwise, it's on a fairly long timer.

Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User

Never got any old boots. As for the so-called "pseudo-pvp"... never had any issues with it. If there's too many people on that quest I change instances or do it later. People are so easily irritated by anything that doesn't go in the most convenient way possible these days.

Naw.. people do the most irritating things if it progresses them(dont you see the billion people doing hes for elemental weapons.. trust me that is one of the most irritating things they ever did in the game (maybe after having to wait in TOD campaign for dragons to pop.. man that was irritating too)), that has always been the case, when there is no need/can skip/go around , then people will do that.

Its not like this is a mandatory quest, doing it once should be enough to get the entire experience of WoD without bashing your head against the wall doing over and over. There is no real valid reason to do that one particular quest..

I usually save up all the quests, then will do the fastest ones on 2-3 of my toons for coffer reasons IF the stronghold needs them.. if not, I do the quests that are needed for that week instead.

• Options
    btbsaul40btbsaul40 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 20 Arc User
    definitely the worst daily by a large margin. possibly the worst quest in the game: way too many boots, wolf is out of sight the whole time, and it routinely gets stuck. hard pass on this every time, unless I'm trying to punish myself for something.
  • Options
    josephskyrimjosephskyrim Member Posts: 356 Arc User

Then you are blessed by the gods and perhaps should buy a lottery ticket or open a lock box! ;)

Just going by the replies on this thread you are the only one with a positive experience for it while everyone else is pretty much in the "skip it" (with variations on the theme) category. That alone should put up red flags for the devs to at least give a cursory investigation into the matter.
    If you can't stand on a chest, it is a mimic!
  • Options
    arabaturarabatur Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 778 Arc User
    Top tip - find a low populated instance and change as required. But yeah, finding boots is a kick in the testicles. I would guess there is Dev who thought it would be really funny.
    Definitely not an Arc User.
  • Options
    ultradd#1718 ultradd Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    You can keep doing the same spot over and over. Or better find two spots near each other. Didn't get boots that way. (But still FIX the wolf disappearing all together please)