test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cask of Wonders isn't so wonderful anymore (suggested adjustment to loot table)

beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
Once upon a time, it was harder to get rare marks of power/union/stability than the epic ones. The Cask of Wonders was one of the ways it was possible to obtain a blue mark, or maybe a MoP, which was also a good score. You might also get a lesser mark of any type from the Cask, which wasn't a great reward even then, since these weren't hard to find.

Fast-forward to the current state of the game and refinement materials.

DR lair drops are randomized such that epic marks are hard to get. Even running on a day when you can be assured of the type, quality is up to RNG.

Rare marks are available in Leadership boxes. Uncommon marks are even more readily available. You can get character-bound (green/blue) and account-bound (green/blue/very rarely purple) marks from invoking. All this adds up to the once-elusive blue marks being very easy to get.

LMoPs in some Leadership boxes seem to have been replaced with MoPs, and former MoP drop frequency was replaced with the chance of GMoP drops (tooltip needs to be edited to reflect this update). WB Prices on MoPs and GMoPs have been adjusted. All of this is great, but has completely devalued the MoP as a drop, either by itself or from a Cask. They're still useful, but neither scarce nor dear like they used to be.

The Cask of Wonders would once again be worthy of the name and being flagged as an epic reward with a very simple adjustment to the loot table, replacing all the uncommon drop values with rare, and the existing rare drop chances with epic ones. That would put it about in line with the value of potential contents being equivocal to what they were before all these changes.

Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia

Comments

• kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    +1. Totally agree with this.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • chaosweaver83chaosweaver83 Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    Agree with this as well.

DR lair drops are randomized such that epic marks are hard to get. Even running on a day when you can be assured of the type, quality is up to RNG.

Not only quality, but the type is also random. This pisses me off the most about DR dungeons. It seems the whole thing is completely random now. Running certain ones to get certain marks is no longer the case. Lately I've been getting green gear from the chest. Every now and then I'll get a green or blue mark (rarely a greater) and it's not even matched to the dungeon I'm in. If it wasn't for the chance at a GMoP or SMoP in the other chest, it almost wouldn't be worth it anymore.

• beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited November 2015

Not only quality, but the type is also random. This pisses me off the most about DR dungeons. It seems the whole thing is completely random now.

Weekends are totally random. The three weekdays where you get bonus marks only randomize quality, not type. If you need union, you can make a point of running PF on a Thursday to increase your odds. The weekend randomization is simply more noticeable because A ) lots of people have more time to play then and B ) total tooltip update failure.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • chaosweaver83chaosweaver83 Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    I just did DR today, which is Dread Spire, supposedly marks of power. I got one lesser mark of power and one blue union stone from the main chest. So I did get the correct mark of power, but a random stone, which may have been what threw me off.