test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Courage Breaker info please...

chestnut13chestnut13 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 176 Arc User
I don't have a lot of experience with CB having always slotted Lurkers or Bloodbath... Have noticed a couple posts where guys state they use CB on certain bosses. I was wondering in which situations it outperforms. Does it only debuff or does it increase damage as well? As I usually have WR slotted, I am thinking I'm better off focusing on more damage. Happy to hear others thoughts on sheer CB may be better. Thx.

Comments

• Options
    kweassakweassa Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    Basic info: https://forum.arcgames.com/neverwinter/discussion/1200031/courage-breaker-math

It's a bit shady as a daily power. Not very preferred in PvE because since the PvE scene is already a cakewalk & milkrun in most cases, any type of 'support' action is usually viewed as unnecessary. Same with CB.

In the PvP scene, infinitely useful against fast-moving enemies, particularly the GWFs and SWs. I've been using it since mod2... but the debuff itself is a bit shaky unless you specialize into a stacked damage debuff + brawling setup.

At rank4/120% debuff, it decreases enemy damage output to roughly half... which in some cases, still hurts. Like, for example, in layman's terms a 120% damage debuff is a 55% true debuff = reduces enemy damage to 45% its original output. Problem is, stuff like that bullchit Hidden Daggers insta-buffs GWF damage by 40%. So even when CB is hit, someone who can repeat high damage consistently will still be able to hurt you bad.

When you have a setting like mine = CB + WK damage debuff + Scoundrel damage resistances + extra deflect, in this case you can fight toe-to-toe against stuff like GWFs, GFs and CWs momentarily for that 10sec time period. In my case I usually use it when the enemy GWF or GF is around 40% HP or less. Set up with WK debuffs, hit with CB, pop Oghma's and then go into an all-out brawl.

Nobody gave a shat about it before mod6/7, only a handful few TRs really used it under different circumstances. I remember back when I used to write about how CB was underrated, and basically not a single TR player cared. That was back when mod2.

Recently, with the discovery of problematic fast-AP builds, some TRs can repeat it like in 20s intervals or even less sometimes.Currently, it became the #1 preferred method of raising our middle fingers against them 'bloated whale' of GWFs with impossibly high HP, power, and lifesteal to overcome. So when you meet one of those, land a CB, raise a finger, and run along and deny him the fight.

Yes, it's a problem when it can be repeated so often, but it's not CB. It's the bullchit fast-AP builds which apply to ALL classes. By itself, CB's fine. Proof? Like said, nobody even cared about it for the last 7 mods. Some people don't even know TRs have a daily like this.

All in all, it's a good daily, in many cases underrated. Great for certain clever, situational, smart uses. Currently it is OP and balance-breaking because it can be spammed continuously, but it's not about the power itself.
    Stop making excuses. Be a man.
    If you know something to be broken, stop using it.
    Otherwise, you've got no right to be speaking of 'balance.'
  • Options
    Thanks Kweassa ... I'll experiment a bit with it.
  • Options
    Hmm.... I had a match today which was competitive but opponents had a GWF that outgeared us all and was laying waste while always holding our point. In order to take him out we had to at least 2 on 1 and would lose the other nodes. I had battled him 1v1 a couple of times and while I got close, he always took me out. We were losing 960 to 780 so I switched to CB to try it out. Bingo. To his surprise, I took him out! He frantically came back twice more and two more kills for me. My teammates kept the other nodes covered and we won by 3 points. Nice! New toy in the Arsenal.
  • Options
    drkbodhidrkbodhi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,378 Arc User
    CB is amazing in PvP...​​
    ez0sf4K.png
    Atwil "At" - Tiefling TR / Saardush - Black Dragonborn GWF / White - Tiefling OP
    Leadership Council of Civil Anarchy
    SYNERGY Alliance
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    EDIT - Double Post.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    drkbodhi said:

In this game, if you want to know the game balance in regards to powers, just listen to the GWFs. There are lot of 'experts' in that class's player pool.

Just use a certain power a few times on them, and if their faces start to look Grotesquely White and Flabbergasted, then you know it's a seriously overpowered and game-breaking abomination which should be nerfed or removed immediately from the game. .

Conversely, if there is no Great Whiney Frustrated/Infuriated Voices coming from Disappointed Emotions, Such Threatening Responses Opting Your Early Retirement from the battlefield, then you can consider that certain power to be 'well balanced' in PvP, according to their Generally Wonderful Factfinding.

My 2 cents.

• Options
    rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    fun fact: courage breaker lv 4 + feytouch debuff + 85% deflect severity + 65% deflect chance (75% under 30% hp), 130k HP i still cant facetank a gwf.....
  • Options
    drkbodhidrkbodhi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,378 Arc User
    I hit Icydrake with one... ONCE! I ran away afterwards with a smoke bomb.​​
    ez0sf4K.png
    Atwil "At" - Tiefling TR / Saardush - Black Dragonborn GWF / White - Tiefling OP
    Leadership Council of Civil Anarchy
    SYNERGY Alliance
  • Options
    rustlordrustlord Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    If CWs are the illuminati,
    TRs are the CIA and the MI6 of Neverwinter. Now I reaaaaally feel like a spy :dizzy:

GWF are more like politicians, they scare you something awful, usually well funded, and they are never wrong. ^^
    kweassa said:

drkbodhi said:

In this game, if you want to know the game balance in regards to powers, just listen to the GWFs. There are lot of 'experts' in that class's player pool.

Just use a certain power a few times on them, and if their faces start to look Grotesquely White and Flabbergasted, then you know it's a seriously overpowered and game-breaking abomination which should be nerfed or removed immediately from the game. .

Conversely, if there is no Great Whiney Frustrated/Infuriated Voices coming from Disappointed Emotions, Such Threatening Responses Opting Your Early Retirement from the battlefield, then you can consider that certain power to be 'well balanced' in PvP, according to their Generally Wonderful Factfinding.

My 2 cents.

Post was NOT edited by rustlord at 1:10AM, it had a typo!
  • Options
    hedgebethedgebet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 447 Arc User
    rayrdan said:

fun fact: courage breaker lv 4 + feytouch debuff + 85% deflect severity + 65% deflect chance (75% under 30% hp), 130k HP i still cant facetank a gwf.....

Three tr built that way can tank 1 gwf if you keep a CB chain and rotate out on the receiving end.
  • Options
    vteasyvteasy Member Posts: 708 Arc User
    rayrdan said:

they will still want to nerf you. It won't be over till they can fall asleep on their keyboards and win like in mod 2 and 3. Just savor ever kill right now, i still sometime type "roar" after I kill one. hope it brings back memories

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Yeah ... and no heavy melee fighter class with adamantium gear should be able to wear a stealth ring and/or negate yours ... but nobody seems to give a sheeeeet about that.
  • Options

@rayrdan said: "fun fact: courage breaker lv 4 + feytouch debuff + 85% deflect severity + 65% deflect chance (75% under 30% hp), 130k HP i still cant facetank a gwf....."

Completely fine in my opinion, a TR should never ever be able to FACETANK a heavy melee fighter class with "paper gear". No gwf's and gf's as well.

While from a general point I do tend to agree with this statement. The particular TR mentioned is specced as an infighter and particularly designed and suited for this purpose. In fact this is probably the best thing this TR does. I would ask you what things should this TR be better at than a GWF (currently it isn't single target damage, or ae damage, or burst damage, or sustained damage, or ranged damage, or infighting)?
  • Options
    rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    I would agree but when a gwfs is able to run like a ferrari we lost the sense of reality already
  • Options
    A full on scoundrel build not able to facetank a GWF is more of a 'GWF problem...' the longer they stay in combat the stronger they get and easier it is for them sustain that damage on a target playing spongebob... which is what scoundrel does pretty much, sponge away. Sooner or later one monster hit wont be deflected. If I wanted to blast GWFs I'd spam 100K shockings. But that said, scoundrel is not fit to go against it. Paper-scissors-rock-bulldozer, ya'll get the idea.
  • Options
    rustlord said:

A full on scoundrel build not able to facetank a GWF is more of a 'GWF problem...' the longer they stay in combat the stronger they get and easier it is for them sustain that damage on a target playing spongebob... which is what scoundrel does pretty much, sponge away. Sooner or later one monster hit wont be deflected. If I wanted to blast GWFs I'd spam 100K shockings. But that said, scoundrel is not fit to go against it. Paper-scissors-rock-bulldozer, ya'll get the idea.

I think it is dynamite in the case of GWF currently.
  • Options
    bluzeboy7bluzeboy7 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    Does anyone have experience with CB on stronghold dragons?
  • Options
    bluzeboy7 said:

Slows them to a crawl, just like any other... but not really useful in this aspect since dragons don't move much anyway.

The damage debuff helps stop one-hit kills, if the victim has a build that adequately invested into some HP. Otherwise, it doesn't help much with the typical 'all-attack' PvE builds with like only 80k HP or something, since they die in one-shot anyway, whether or not the dragon's effected.

• Options
    dufistodufisto Member Posts: 537 Arc User
    bluzeboy7 said:

if your group is slow killing the empowerers its useful. otherwise not so much.
  • Options
    setillsetill Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    I've always used CB (mod2) since i tend to make rogue a control class.
    It's fun kitting GWF when they go unstopable or when they pop wheel and try to reach one of the buff. Then i do smoke bomb/df . Smoke bomb fills the AP fast enough, sometimes before CB slow effect ends, i can do a shocking.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    rustlord said:

Hence, a "finisher" move.

CB, in combination with other damage debuffs the WK has, roughly debuffs the target upto 60% or higher, less than half damage. Combined with Scoundrel DR traits + extra 10% DR through WK class feature augment (AdvPos + offhand), usually it brings incoming damage down to around 1/3rd original.

So in my case, the ideal scenario is a situation where I can force a fight of HP attrition and still win - hence, like mentioned, I usually engage CB when I know that:

■ the opponent GWF has used heal pots and wheel, and both are on some amount of cooldown
    ■ HP is starting to drop under 50%, best case scenario under 40%
    ■ my artifact power (Oghma's) is ready to use

Above three conditions are met, then it's a set-up with VP + DHS, hit CB, activate Oghma's to avoid losing precious seconds due to being stunned, and then force an all-out, face-to-face brawl for the next 8~9 seconds, enough time for two full DF hits. Additional shots of Dazing or Concussive procs are helpful in preventing their retaliatory attacks in attempt to LS.

Against the max-BiS whales this still doesn't kill them, and CB expires with around 10~15% of their HP. At this point their only choice is to attempt to sprint away, in which case a WK can somewhat track him down for a limited time thanks to dodges and VP -- CB comes down, plant another VP, the GWF runs, let him run upto some distance and then teleport back to him with VP, a couple of dodges to keep following, which is about the point when their stamina runs out... plant VP again, track, kill.

At this point, if starting out from 100% HP against the GWF's 30%, I'd have lost about half or little more from incoming damage -- since my HP is around exactly 100k, that means in a full 8~9 seconds of face-busting brawl the GWF landed around 50k damage or more. Without the damage buffs and CCs, that would have been easily more than 120~150k damage. Up to date about half of that incoming damage would be due to (!*@&#^ing) Avalanche. If Avalanche is really fixed as they say, then it'd be a lot easier.

If both me and the GWF have comparable amount of HP left, then I wouldn't go facetank it either - regardless of CB.

(ps) Of course, the "GWF at 40% HP? Heck, why use CB? Just SE and finish the fight immediately" MIs would never understand the technicality and pleasure of bringing down a GWF at his own game... So yeah, in this aspect, WKs are inferior. Obviously, we don't have a bullchi* one-shot execution, so we just have to rely on combinations of different powers. We usually call this process "PvP"

• Options
    It seems GWF is still easy to take down the sabo way, even for a WK. I'm half debating myself to go with a 20K Arp scoundrel build, with OppDark/DF perma combat advantage, perma CB and all that jazz. But I just don't trust the devs when they say Avalanche is fixed LOL

I guess we'll wait and see.
    kweassa said:

~