test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Please remove dungeons from storyline

Today I was leveling my potato TR and see a lot of ppl lfg Mad Dragon, it is just plain wasting new players time and make they think the game is broken.

Based on current Player number, half hour is wasted for nothing.

If you cannot return old dungeons within a reasonable time, please just remove them from main storyline. I feel ashamed to ask my friends join the game and have to explain why the tasks are gone

Comments

• hrothdarhrothdar Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Yes. A prime example would be the Cloak Tower in the tower District is needed for half-orc story lines. Difficult to say that you can contact Vansi Bloodscar's ghost because you killed (or helped to kill her), without doing the cloak tower dungeon.
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    I do believe that they didn't bother to remove the quests due to the fact that they are going to bring the dungeons back. Eventually.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • two30two30 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,168 Arc User
    kreatyve said:

I do believe that they didn't bother to remove the quests due to the fact that they are going to bring the dungeons back. Eventually.

Well, the Cloak Tower quest is no longer offered. I'm leveling a new character and Scout Gaelen doesn't offer the quest. So we can infer that the Cloak Tower dungeon is returning some time between "not soon" and "never".
    Neverwinter Tools for evaluating boons, mounts, dyes, etc.
  • goldmoon#5670 goldmoon Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    The dungeons have been removed since April.
    7 months is not a "going to bring dungeons back" thing.

How many time are wasted in game for new players because of this?
  • mrvincent1959mrvincent1959 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    They have yet to give a valid explanation on the old dungeons. On the twitter Q and A last week, every other question was about the old dungeons and they purposly did not answer any of those questions.

I am having hope that we will get a big surprise next year on a new module dedicated to dungeons. Maybe they will incorporate variable aspects so they are different every time you run them.
    twitch.tv/kaligold
  • ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 452 Arc User

The dungeons have been removed since April.

7 months is not a "going to bring dungeons back" thing.

How many time are wasted in game for new players because of this?

Yeah. I started playing again in May after a hiatus of a couple of years and I was sooo confused about this. Took about 20 minutes before a kind soul took pity on all us newcomers who were trying to get into Cloak Tower and informed us.
    Which also reminds me, I have to tell a friend I bought into the game last week about this so he doesn't end up as confused as I was.
    Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
  • zibadawazibadawa Member Posts: 1,266 Arc User
    I prefer the little rumor that when the mod 6 debacle happened, they literally lost these dungeons. Lack of proper backups and a fresh and ignorant team lead to the code being lost. So when they say they're "going to bring them back", it means they're trying to reconstruct these dungeons from nothing more than forum posts and youtube videos. So if you've got any of those sitting around that have never been posted before, do everyone a favor and post them.

But, yeah, it's very disconcerting that a large junk of the "story" simply doesn't exist. I have no idea what it is that I was trying to accomplish in many regions, or what the bad guys were trying to accomplish, sometimes who the bad guys even *are*. A lot of stuff, across all level ranges, just appears out of nowhere for poorly explained reasons (assuming there is an explanation at all), and lacks any intelligible sense of narrative.

I like this game, but sometimes it's really hard for me to figure out why. I think maybe it's just because I like D&D in general, so everything about D&D just gets a free rank-up.
  • zukn75zukn75 Member Posts: 364 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Never the less we Zebulars orange tinted word that they ARE working on it. This is a cast Iron guarantee, that someone at least is working on getting them back into game. (Who is working on it, what they are doing to it,when they expect to be finished, are other questions)
  • zukn75zukn75 Member Posts: 364 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    And it's not unknown for MMORPGs to loose complete zones Everquest Plane of mischief is a prime example, it was revamped, people didn't like the new version and then the devs admitted, the old version wasn't archived.
  • suicidalgodotsuicidalgodot Member Posts: 2,465 Arc User
    My guess is that they needed the server capacity for handling all those dozens of SH instances...

...so once population has decreased to a conveniently low level, they'll bring them back, in a similar stunted fashion as we can see in the remaining dungeons. Also, we already got some parts or segments of them back - as lairs in EE. Meh.

Hopefully by then there'll be note- and saleworthy rewards in all of them and not only in two.

My guess is that they needed the server capacity for handling all those dozens of SH instances...

...so once population has decreased to a conveniently low level, they'll bring them back, in a similar stunted fashion as we can see in the remaining dungeons. Also, we already got some parts or segments of them back - as lairs in EE. Meh.

Hopefully by then there'll be note- and saleworthy rewards in all of them and not only in two.

So you're saying that their master plan is to release so much bad, game-breaking, effectively pay-only content that it drives players away in droves? And then once they've shot themselves in the foot they'll do something people have actually wanted?

Plus, the 5000+ instances of Ghost Stories they had before show there's exactly zero problems with the number of instances they can run.
    ...well, in "Other News", we got the following info:

zukn75 said:

Actually Zeb if you really want to be pedantic, they've NEVER said they're still working on them, they ALWAYS say "We'd like them to return." But I digress.

Exactly. We have NEVER heard there is a team currently working on them, or an ETA. Just a vague, "We want to bring them back." I am really hoping for a real unscripted response.
    This is an official response that, yes, bringing back the dungeons will happen. It isn't just a want. We are going to bring them back. Can't share more details outside of that.
    ...so now it's a waiting game again.

A little quiz?

What will we see first:

( ) - nuclear fusion power plants
    ( ) - Neverwinter dungeons return
  • goldmoon#5670 goldmoon Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    Lol, please do not trolling.

This is serious request. I don't really care the reason behind this, I just want them removed from the storyline in case any confusion to new players.
    ...not trolling, just making cynical puns. Also, the core of the post was useful, context-compatible information referencing, so dontcha complain. :^D

On a different note: Yes, I agree, unfortunately it would make sense to remove the quests by now.
  • ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    zibadawa said:

I prefer the little rumor that when the mod 6 debacle happened, they literally lost these dungeons. Lack of proper backups and a fresh and ignorant team lead to the code being lost. So when they say they're "going to bring them back", it means they're trying to reconstruct these dungeons from nothing more than forum posts and youtube videos. So if you've got any of those sitting around that have never been posted before, do everyone a favor and post them.

I try to avoid doing too much tinfoil hattery, messes with the hairdo, but I like this one a lot.
    zibadawa said:

But, yeah, it's very disconcerting that a large junk of the "story" simply doesn't exist. I have no idea what it is that I was trying to accomplish in many regions, or what the bad guys were trying to accomplish, sometimes who the bad guys even *are*. A lot of stuff, across all level ranges, just appears out of nowhere for poorly explained reasons (assuming there is an explanation at all), and lacks any intelligible sense of narrative.

I like this game, but sometimes it's really hard for me to figure out why. I think maybe it's just because I like D&D in general, so everything about D&D just gets a free rank-up.

I'm a D&D fan too, but tbh too much in that often felt this way. The number of campaigns, on line and off, had the theme of 'go here, kill these enemies' and if you asked why the main reason seemed to be 'because xp'. But a little more intelligible narrative would be nice.
    Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
  • dufistodufisto Member Posts: 537 Arc User
    zibadawa said:

except they were live on xbox until september. there really is no excuse for 6 months and not 1 single dungeon has been returned.

i really dont believe they are working on them. that someone has been assigned the task sure. but actively working on them. not very likely. especially since getting the non epics back in place would just have taken a file restore. and setting a bit flag to let us zone back in. who cares if they were hard for 3 people. a challenge is good. not like the linear snooze fest that etos is.
    dufisto said:

except they were live on xbox until september. there really is no excuse for 6 months and not 1 single dungeon has been returned.

i really dont believe they are working on them. that someone has been assigned the task sure. but actively working on them. not very likely. especially since getting the non epics back in place would just have taken a file restore. and setting a bit flag to let us zone back in. who cares if they were hard for 3 people. a challenge is good. not like the linear snooze fest that etos is.

The rumor is specifically that there is no file to restore. It's all gone. XBox versions would help, but it'd probably take a substantial effort to take XBox platform code and rework it for a generic PC.

edited November 2015
    "No restore file" is a joke taken seriously and turned into a rumour. Really.

Every company is compelled to make backups by many factors, among them "good business practice" - which ... nah, wrong place for that spin - and, more often than not, law.

AFAIK from an authoritative source they're even still in the game, just not linked to the fast travel network, and maybe depopulated, too...
    Post edited by suicidalgodot on
  • obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    As a person who asked for the quests to be removed when it was clear that the dungeons wouldn't return during the play test for Mod 6 I can only echo the first poster's request: remove the quest options until you restore the dungeons.

I have spent plenty of time telling people they are not there, I've even had people not believe me and still try to enter Idris, its just an annoying waste of people's time and it just makes the game look bad and incomplete.
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
  • si1verwfsi1verwf Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    I prefer an option of returning this dungeons backs, coz there is no any reasons of removing it.
    Russian Server
    Lchr - SW, Str - GWF, Def - GF
  • geetheblueskygeethebluesky Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    As a recent/still new player I agree that it does look very unpolished and gives a "bad feeling" to be directed to complete quests that don't exist.
    When I came across the ToD quest it actually did take 15-20 minutes of asking before anyone said "It's been removed". I loved that storyline, too! And to find out that "poof, it's broken"? That was a huge downer... Now I have to be the one telling newbies it's gone, and hope they don't ask why. :/

Knowing the dungeons are supposed to be back helps, though. Looking forward to rolling a new character for the completed storylines; will wait until then. :)
  • e1ementoe1emento Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 91 Arc User
    A good analogy here would be with the comic book world. Comics grew great, then it became all about the graphics and the writing was kind of dumped. Eventually they supersized them into graphic novels instead.

It's not just the lack of our dungeons that will confuse new people with the storyline. Has anyone ever tried to not miss the Blacklake Terror Skirmish? It's awfully easy to do being the very first skirmish, and then you never get to complete the Blacklake Story Arc. You can't go back to redo skirmishes.
    It's even made more difficult by the fact that even though it's a skirmish, it's not listed as such. The Blacklake Terror Skirmish is listed instead only under Quests. Now that can get confusing if someone decides to check out what skirmishes they can do in their journal.
    Only way to complete Blacklake is if they decide to use this skirmish in some new event or create a redo. Other skirmishes missed are used in events so why not the first one? They could make it appropriate to various levels if they wish.

Finally there's the mistext in our journals which should have been removed several years ago when they broke.
    Under Accomplishments, they still have these two listed which are erroneous.
    The Icespire Mountaineer and the Eye Chirurgeon.
    They don't exist, have not in several years, and should have been removed already from our journals.
    They never planned on fixing them either or that would have happened by now.
    ...not gonna happen due to lack of "human ressources". Also these would rather be put into something which would make people visit the ARC billing website...
  • luks707luks707 Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    I agree with the OP - it should be a quick fix for those joining the game new.
    I do prefer though that they come back. Mainly because the story is broken at the moment. The only story element that works is the Tyranny of Dragons story and the Sharandar story (to degree). Valindra's story doesn't make sense without castle never. A lot of the basic stories aren't really completed without the final dungeon. What a shame. They need to realise people actually enjoy the story element.
  • myles08807myles08807 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 409 Arc User
    Short term band-aid...do your best to communicate in-zone to the new players that these dungeons are not available yet. I always speak up when quests bring me to, say, Ebon Downs and I see these poor kids posting for a group for Idris. Takes less than a minute and you will have done the community a favor.
  • ladyfluviatilisladyfluviatilis Member Posts: 23 Arc User

Short term band-aid...do your best to communicate in-zone to the new players that these dungeons are not available yet. I always speak up when quests bring me to, say, Ebon Downs and I see these poor kids posting for a group for Idris. Takes less than a minute and you will have done the community a favor.

I do that too (leveling an alt right now), but:

a) 2 mods time are not what I would call "short term"
    b) for each time one of us is there to tell people about the problem, there are ten times nobody is there... last time I dropped the "dungeons unavailable" line in Helm's Hold, the poor player in question had been spamming lfg for half an hour before I logged in, or so he told me
    c) it would be very easy to slap at the beginning of the description of the affected quests an additional line in bold or color saying something along the line of "Sorry guys, this quest is temporarily unavailable, visit our forums to see when it will be viable again". Doesn't mess too much with the actual code and solves the material issue. The meta-gaming horror remains, but heck, this is supposed to be a band aid, right? As a post mod-6 player, I really really hope I will get to play those dungeons one day (dear devs, pretty please with sugar on top!)
    Strive always to aid, to foster new hope, new ideas, and new prosperity for all humankind and its allies. Perfect thyself, and guard ever against pride, for it is a sacred duty to foster new growth, nurture growing things, and work for rebirth and renewal. Be fertile in mind and in body. Consider always the consequences of thine actions so that the least effort may bring the greatest and best reward. Wherever you go, sow seeds of plants, tend the growing things you find, and plant seeds of hope, new ideas, and plans for a rosy future in the minds of all. Whenever possible, see each dawn. - Lathander's Dogma

The explanation for removing the epic dungeons fits, but that leaves us with no reason whatsoever to have removed the low level versions.

The new ones are somewhat shortened (e.g. CragCrypt: complete side wing with The Daugter of Lolth miniboss removed), and you'd not want to have different maps between normal and epic.
  • revan06100revan06100 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 205 Arc User
    "PLEASE REMOVE DUNGEONS FROM STORYLINE"
    Or bring them back !
    I'm more for the second option :)
  • subnoctesubnocte Member Posts: 341 Arc User
    It's just plain stupid that there's only a couple of dungeons for the entire levelling process.

We ask for dungeons, more content. Each mod we get more dailies.