test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Played for about 3 weeks now

The biggest issue for new players is the economy. It is shot. The actual amount of AD needed to do anything progressive is ridiculous. My pet hit 25 and to upgrade him is 500,000. I haven't figured out the tokens yet. Then there is the cost of Zen. $10 just to get VIP is more then enough to spend real mone on per month. Forget anything else. Can't even buy a stupid bag.

Quests need to reward Zen and AD. There needs to be a way to earn in game currency in the game. Or let us convert the seals and zone marks into Zen or AD.

Lord of the rings online does this right. All I can do at the Zen market is see what I can pay money to have. The game is still fun and I will continue to play but it sucks knowing there is so much more I can do if I was willing to pay more then I already am willing.

Comments

• cesar#6784 cesar Member Posts: 325 Arc User

The biggest issue for new players is the economy. It is shot. The actual amount of AD needed to do anything progressive is ridiculous. My pet hit 25 and to upgrade him is 500,000. I haven't figured out the tokens yet. Then there is the cost of Zen. $10 just to get VIP is more then enough to spend real mone on per month. Forget anything else. Can't even buy a stupid bag.

This isn't an issue for new players, but for play-for-free players. However, IMHO, the problem is growing to affect players that pay to get stuff like a cool high speed mount. Don't get me wrong! I belong to the former group, not the latter.

Being a developer myself, I can totally understand that Cryptic doesn't make it easy for the former group; if that were the case, nobody would pay for pretty much nothing at all. Where's the money for the business, right? But! I believe they are changing the game economy in a way that is scaring both groups away, and this will backfire on them.

Right before Mod6, Zen to AD ratio was 1:250 on average, with slight fluctuations; it was a steady economy. Mod6 brought changes that made many people upset: less ROI on enchantments, some high-end gear being removed and replaced with crappy gear, the new gear score system, longer campaigns that require more money, etc. This seems to have lowered the number of people who play the game, and when this happens you will have less players spending any type of currency in the game... End result? Zen price has to go down, there isn't just enough demand. And, as far as I could see, Zen to AD ratio went down to 1:160 after Mod6.

Biggest issue is Cryptic now restrained people from making a decent amount of AD with their latest patch (no more leadership AD, and AD from skirmishes is a mess IMHO). So, guess what happens when people have less AD to buy Zen or things at the AH? Only thing I can foresee is stuff piling up in the AH and Zen going down.

I saw Zen-AD as low as 1:135 a few days ago, and I think it will eventually move down to that point and stay there. Why? Simple: you can't make the amount of AD you used to make before, so you have less money to spend on your characters. So you either have to spend way more time now to get the things you want/need to progress, or spend more real money to achieve this. Why *more* real money? Cause of the value of Zen vs AD; if it goes up, you get more AD value for your bucks; and if it goes down... well, you get the gist.

Quests need to reward Zen and AD. There needs to be a way to earn in game currency in the game. Or let us convert the seals and zone marks into Zen or AD.

Zen should never be part of a reward; if you want Zen, there's the AH. The problem is Cryptic making AD impossible to get.

Lord of the rings online does this right. All I can do at the Zen market is see what I can pay money to have. The game is still fun and I will continue to play but it sucks knowing there is so much more I can do if I was willing to pay more then I already am willing.

I would be willing to pay a few bucks every now and then to get some cool stuff for my character, but seeing the current state the game is in right now, no way!
  • treefq#6477 treefq Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    Turbine lets you pay a monthly subscription that earns you stuff as you pay and also opens up zones and things that the sub is handling. But then you can also pay to unlock stuff with out having to pay a subscription fee to get it. So balancing a subscription and using in game currency to unlock content becomes the focus.
  • armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    Funnily enough with the AD/Zen ratio coming down I'm more able to buy zen as I'm not making any less AD than I did before (never had a leadership farm or did a lot of dungeons).

In short, I have less need to spend real money...
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • wdj40wdj40 Member Posts: 1,958 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Its crazy people are just too short minded... Technically you can still earn the same amount of AD as before and the only difference is it just takes longer to do so.

For instance maybe you could earn 10k AD in an hour before and now you can only earn 1k, you can still earn that 10k but its just going to take you 10 hours instead of 1.

Simples :)
    Main - Rydia (HR70) - Xbox One Player only
    Alts :
    Storm (SW70), Edge (TR70), AD Farm (CW70), Grunt (GF70), Rosa (DC70), AD AD AD (GWF70), Your Mum (OP70)

Member of Q-Snipe
    wdj40 said:

Its crazy people are just too short minded... Technically you can still earn the same amount of AD as before and the only difference is it just takes longer to do so.

For instance maybe you could earn 10k AD in an hour before and now you can only earn 1k, you can still earn that 10k but its just going to take you 10 hours instead of 1.

Simples :)

LOL!
  • thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    I don't get the problem ppl have with earning ad in the ah. I have been making enough for a new 10 pack of keys every 2 or 3 days
    The ah like all the other games requires starting capitol. I was surprised to find out just how much content uses unique currencies instead of the "normal" coins. The problem at the ah is all you can use there is AD and as a starting player getting enough AD to make a difference is skewed.
  • raymond00713raymond00713 Member Posts: 312 Arc User
    You've got it backward. Zen prices are down. That means a lot of people are spending real money to buy ad.

When zen is expensive, the p2p rule. When ad is expensive, it means p2p have to pay even more to get what they want.

Pre mod zen prices were steadily rising because everyone was either not playing or just running around in the WOD. No one was upgrading. Post mod people spent like crazy competing with each other, driving the value of zen down
    Its a game, just play it and in enough time you can get what you want, or pay to speed it up a little if that is your thing.

People seem to have lost the art of just having fun these days. I remember being a new starter and having to run Skirmishes and dungeons a lot as a way of earning AD, converted this AD in some Zen over a fairly long period of time. Then you just work out what you what from there. Either convert back into AD or buy a decent pack.

The longer and longer you play the easier AD becomes available, if you are smart you can convert some of that AD into profit etc.

I willing to bet a fair bit that at least a large portion of % of the complaints you see are people who have not really put in much time to the game (some may not be able to but that is another story). After 1000hrs for instance you would have picked up so many little tricks and tips etc.
    Alts :
    Storm (SW70), Edge (TR70), AD Farm (CW70), Grunt (GF70), Rosa (DC70), AD AD AD (GWF70), Your Mum (OP70)

Member of Q-Snipe
    not a lot drops that you can convert from 60 to 70 but once you hit 70 and can run icewind and WOD there are a lot of things that drop that you can sell for a good profit. the key is not to get greedy and go for top dollar. Even as a lower level I see some decent things drop in the 55 dungeon.
  • destrowoddestrowod Member Posts: 484 Arc User
    When i started the game, pre-mod 6 i tough the AD where hard to get by... i managed to raise my leadership a bit and saw a small income, i was happy. I was finally seeing the huge reward (for me at least) like 1 600 AD for a 8-12 hours task and still it was nothing for the stuff i wanted to buy, YET i felt at least it was upping... A day i refined 18K i was happy, it was a very good day.

Now i can refine 1200 at best, with the praying thing and it require me logging to NW many times a day, something i can't always do with the last timers being 60 and 90 mins...

I have a reserve of 120 000 AD on my secondary ... this what i managed to earned pre last patch for the leadership and im holding to it like a treasure... my AD on my main usually fluctuate between 80 000 and 100 000, i had to buy something then it would lower and then back up... but now im at 50 000 and i don't see it upping at all with the tiny bit i can make trough prayers. I didn't even had dungeons to do this week end, because of the PVP x2 glory and i don't like PVP...

So well... i can understand so much a new player being feeling cheated. But the fun fact is .. at least you can do skirmish events... :/ me at lev 66, i can't ... lol so thats another AD source cutted...

I get that these changes are all for buying ZEN and giving them real money, but man i can't spent more than 10-15$ in a game like this every month... and i won't get jack with that. VIP and thats it... and so far in 10 days, well had some decent stuff sure, nothing off the hook tough.

Everything should be lowered to feel reasonable... a bag should be 200 zen, a key should be 25 Zen, and so on... people would be more willing to buy stuff if it was lower. I oppened up 10 lockboxes so far.. and i don't feel like it was worth 10$ , thanksfully i have 20 more to open with VIP, but if i paid for the key themselves... it would had been 10 for 10.

As the OP says, stop giving me HAMSTER gold that is worth nothing, and give me AD for doing in game tasks like Dailies or dungeons or such... Why do i need to wait for the "event" to get AD out of a dungeon? It bothers me... like i have to plan my life on NW schedule...
    Oh my lord... the game literally throws everything you need at you to get to level 70... once you are there you can start earning better amounts of AD and customise. People just need to get used to the fact that it just takes longer than before to obtain AD.
    Alts :

Member of Q-Snipe
    wdj40 said:

Oh my lord... the game literally throws everything you need at you to get to level 70... once you are there you can start earning better amounts of AD and customise. People just need to get used to the fact that it just takes longer than before to obtain AD.

Well not every guy that play a MMO is

1) A no Life

or

2) A one game dude

or

3) Both of the above

I play NW here and there, sometimes 30 mins in a day, sometimes 2 hours, sometimes not at all. But i could log on to start professions and stuff before going to do something else...

I currently have 256 hours into this game... i think by then it should be enough to have half decent stuff and have acces to ways of "rolling in the game" and not be uberly limited like i just started last week.

I mean most offline RPGs are completed in 100 hours or less, and its known to be the longest type of games.

What im trying to say is yes i apreciate there is lots of content, its a good thing, BUT at some point how many hours does i have to put into the game to get the good stuff? 1000?? i have a life...

So yes between 60 and 70 people should be given ways to make money and all. I will admit one thing tough, i realized that now Dungeons do indeed gives AD and not just during an event or needing a key for it. Its cool. I can probably start making AD again by doing 3 or 4 dungeons when i play. BUT while i do that, my dailies don't advance, my story progression either, and i feel im stagnating, just to make money.

Its a video game... not real life. Sometimes i wish it could just be like Diablo, somebody drop me 5 million of gold and then bam i have more than enough to do all i need to do with it for months/years.

Ok maybe not, i mean its fine to have a currency that is worth something, everygame i played so far Gold was never worth anything and all, people could duplicate it, make so much it was worth jack nothing. But then again a good middle would be the best. Somebody that plays an hour or 2 a day should be able to make decent ammount of money to upgrade his stuff and feel a real progression, not stagnating. I literaly had to wait 30 days to buy a decent piece of armor from the AH before MOD6, i think it was way ok...

People bash on leadership but this profession take many months of play or at least logging on to actually be worth anything anyway... before that you make tiny ammount ... its not that that will break the economy. I don't think Xbox has any bot or cheating device(could be wrong) so all is left is people that make armies of leadership that are ok with making either 10 accounts(and remember, they have to log on to them to activate it) or BUYING(so giving the devs money) more character slots...

So yeah i see nothing wrong with that...
  • vdeekvvdeekv Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    Currently, my advice to new and prospective players is "run screaming from this game until you're hoarse and exhausted".

IMO the economy is a shambles. Earning even a maintenance income, to cover upgrades/boons/etc. is harder than it's ever been. Professions tasks, such as gemmed shirts/pants, now require around 80k ad worth of ingredients to produce (egg/uni elements/elem agg for donor item) for the usual 60% chance of success. AH prices do not reflect these costs, hardly surprising when the more casual players will struggle to make the potentially required 300k ad for their shirt and pants.

The only bind on equip loot drops are now artifacts/artifact equipment and the odd companion, again AH prices for most of these are low. The bound armour etc. salvages for significantly less than the old T2 gear.

I can only imagine what it'll be like for PS4 players, as they'll be getting all this at launch. But I guess they'll at least have a chance to get out before they have a lot of time invested and feel like they've fallen foul of some kind of 'bait and switch' scam.

Personally i started Neverwinter in Febuary or March, but i played just a few until i started again couple months later, had Diablo and Titanfall to redo as i just bough the X1(had those games on 360, loved them, so bough them again) and honestly i regret not having got into NW quicker, i could had get to 60 and enjoy the game pre-MOD6 while it was possible.

On one side i love this game, if i didn't , i would be here to rant as i only do that on stuff i love, as weird as it may be to read it lol. Stuff i don't like i just move on and not play it. BUT if i was a new player... and know how the game currently work... well... not sure i would want to get started,

I mean after 256 hours i have not even yet seen Tiamat... and i heard that battle was already uber hard back then, now it must be impossible.... :/

I know MMO are not 8 hours long game but after a while cmon...
  • rockstargfurockstargfu Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    The key is dont sit back and ask for money! Get out there and make it.

I starve my rough astral pool from salvaging gear and constantly store it on alts, then wait for dbl AD and split the funds.

I make RaD from dailys, and soon weekly caimpaign quests will give 3k each

Run dungeons get RaD and sell stuff from the chest

Worst way to make money and progress in this game? Instead of playing to win, sitting and complaining for free moneys

Also do things the cheap way, whether its crafting your own enchants or realising its cheaper to buy an 8 instead of 2 7s and a GMoP

I starve my rough astral pool from salvaging gear and constantly store it on alts, then wait for dbl AD and split the funds.

aGAIN... Can't do that... i can't salvage anything YET

And now i did a dungeons only to realize it gave me 173 AD... oh well.. thank you... so guess the 4000 or so is only once a day... wow they DO want us to not be able to make money :(

vdeekv said:

Currently, my advice to new and prospective players is "run screaming from this game until you're hoarse and exhausted".

IMO the economy is a shambles. Earning even a maintenance income, to cover upgrades/boons/etc. is harder than it's ever been. Professions tasks, such as gemmed shirts/pants, now require around 80k ad worth of ingredients to produce (egg/uni elements/elem agg for donor item) for the usual 60% chance of success. AH prices do not reflect these costs, hardly surprising when the more casual players will struggle to make the potentially required 300k ad for their shirt and pants.

The only bind on equip loot drops are now artifacts/artifact equipment and the odd companion, again AH prices for most of these are low. The bound armour etc. salvages for significantly less than the old T2 gear.

I can only imagine what it'll be like for PS4 players, as they'll be getting all this at launch. But I guess they'll at least have a chance to get out before they have a lot of time invested and feel like they've fallen foul of some kind of 'bait and switch' scam.

Eggs drop in tiamat if you win or don't. Tiamat remains a good resource farming tool. I'd like to see more people in there. LOL. Everyone seems to have forgotten about it.

to the person who was talking about having 256 hours into the game.. Yes.. that amount of time into a game should get you to a decent level.. but the new expansion basically reset everyone. that's like an entirely new game now. It's neverwinter 2.0.. so you'd need to calculate your hours into the game from expansion.

vdeekv said:

Another un-informed comment... you can earn Unified Elements and Elemental Aggregate from repeatable quests in the game you do not have to buy them from the AH. So that 80k you go on about is a moot point unless you are lazy. Dragon egg may be harder to come by though and may need to be bought.

Once you start running dungeons loads of salvageable equipment drop, I have a couple of big bags full of it already which I may save until the next double AD I`m not sure yet.
    Alts :

Member of Q-Snipe
    wdj40 said:

Another un-informed comment... you can earn Unified Elements and Elemental Aggregate from repeatable quests in the game you do not have to buy them from the AH. So that 80k you go on about is a moot point unless you are lazy. Dragon egg may be harder to come by though and may need to be bought.

Don't try and contradict my opinion with your opinion.

Regardless of how you acquire them, the aprox. AD value on those profession resources is accurate. I didn't state that was the only way of getting them, it was simply a way of keeping the post concise.

Telling people they're 'uninformed' or 'lazy', because your opinion differs, is odious and boring.
    Yeah i know the expension is adding and somehow a reset for some, but to be honest i was 60 for only like 1 week or so before mod6, so well... not like i spent countless hours into this and wasting them.
    vdeekv said:

wdj40 said:

Don't try and contradict my opinion with your opinion.

Regardless of how you acquire them, the aprox. AD value on those profession resources is accurate. I didn't state that was the only way of getting them, it was simply a way of keeping the post concise.

Telling people they're 'uninformed' or 'lazy', because your opinion differs, is odious and boring.
    No I was pointing out that you were plain wrong (just because its your opinion does not mean you are right), you are saying players potentially struggle to get 300k AD for their shirt and pants... This is total BS as they do not need 300k AD at all, all ingredients can be found which hardly constitutes a struggle. The only pain here now is possibly the Dragon Egg.
    Oh AND you can MAKE the Elements and Unified through Alchemy... AAARARARARARRARAR what more do you want!

You advise players to run screaming from the game and expect someone like me to just ignore that? You are trying to drive players from the game because you obviously need your hand held throughout the whole game. You are complaining about prices in a free game... seriously makes me laugh.

I would also like to state my last post was not an opinion.... Its fact, get over it dude. I easily make the 24k RAD a day to refine by just running through a few Skirmishes and Dungeons. I could give you 100 tips on how to make some extra AD but I am too odious and boring to assist you.

Alts :

Member of Q-Snipe
    Also even if people did pay 300k for them... THEY ARE THE BEST PANTS AND SHIRT IN THE GAME... Why would they not be 300k!

Tell you what here have the best items for 10k... sound fair??? Hardly.

Only took me a couple of weeks to get Alchemy to 25... a couple more to get Leatherworking to 25 etc etc... hmmmm then Purple tools and Purple people which takes some time... I know I`ll now sell the items I get at the end of all this for really cheep... yeah sounds economical!
    Alts :

Member of Q-Snipe
    wdj40 said:

Only took me a couple of weeks to get Alchemy to 25... a couple more to get Leatherworking to 25 etc etc...

How do you get a profession to level 25 in just two weeks?
    wdj40 said:

No I was pointing out that you were plain wrong (just because its your opinion does not mean you are right), you are saying players potentially struggle to get 300k AD for their shirt and pants... This is total BS as they do not need 300k AD at all, all ingredients can be found which hardly constitutes a struggle. The only pain here now is possibly the Dragon Egg.
    Oh AND you can MAKE the Elements and Unified through Alchemy... AAARARARARARRARAR what more do you want!

You advise players to run screaming from the game and expect someone like me to just ignore that? You are trying to drive players from the game because you obviously need your hand held throughout the whole game. You are complaining about prices in a free game... seriously makes me laugh.

I would also like to state my last post was not an opinion.... Its fact, get over it dude. I easily make the 24k RAD a day to refine by just running through a few Skirmishes and Dungeons. I could give you 100 tips on how to make some extra AD but I am too odious and boring to assist you.

Statement or not, opinion is opinion, hearsay is hearsay and I'm glad we agree that "just because it's your opinion, does not mean you are right". That's what internet forums are for, discussion. Your attitude towards other forum users stinks.

Your inference/supposition of how someone arrived at a particular opinion, or their motivation for posting, is irrelevant.
    wdj40 said:

Also even if people did pay 300k for them... THEY ARE THE BEST PANTS AND SHIRT IN THE GAME... Why would they not be 300k!

Only took me a couple of weeks to get Alchemy to 25... a couple more to get Leatherworking to 25 etc etc... hmmmm then Purple tools and Purple people which takes some time... I know I`ll now sell the items I get at the end of all this for really cheep... yeah sounds economical!

I, like others in my guild, have been playing since launch (2000 hrs+), have multiple characters with rank 25 professions and maintain an income through those professions and playing the game. The original post, I believe, was commenting on the difficulty for new players to establish a 'toe hold' on the game economy in it's current form.

I don't need to brag about the size of my eP33N, so before this gets any further off topic, I'm out. Thanks.

wdj40 said:

Only took me a couple of weeks to get Alchemy to 25... a couple more to get Leatherworking to 25 etc etc...

How do you get a profession to level 25 in just two weeks?
    Sorry I do not mean from a brand new level 1 player perspective so I apologise if it came across like that. When I say a couple of weeks that is just a guess, but once you have 7/8 slots open you just spam Deep Wilderness Gathering in every slot at level 1, level 7, level 14 and then level 21. If you have some Blue or Purple people this obviously helps massively to get to 25. You can do this 3 possibly 4 times a day.

In my Guild some of us share our profession tools/Workers for people who need to open an extra slot or 2 or to spam Deep Wilderness Gathering until level 25.
    Alts :

Member of Q-Snipe
    vdeekv said:

wdj40 said:

Statement or not, opinion is opinion, hearsay is hearsay and I'm glad we agree that "just because it's your opinion, does not mean you are right". That's what internet forums are for, discussion. Your attitude towards other forum users stinks.

Your inference/supposition of how someone arrived at a particular opinion, or their motivation for posting, is irrelevant.
    wdj40 said:

I, like others in my guild, have been playing since launch (2000 hrs+), have multiple characters with rank 25 professions and maintain an income through those professions and playing the game. The original post, I believe, was commenting on the difficulty for new players to establish a 'toe hold' on the game economy in it's current form.

I don't need to brag about the size of my eP33N, so before this gets any further off topic, I'm out. Thanks.
    Ok I re-read my post and I agree I was a little out of line and over the top so I do apologise about that dude.
    Alts :

Member of Q-Snipe
  • davidagaldodavidagaldo Member Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    The economy has changed and so my active guildies focus and needs changed to adopt this current environment. Anyone read "Who moved my cheese?"

My guild understands we must work closely together to make a diamond in this economy. Combined, I sold (some sales pending) and salvaged 140K'ish in four hours last night. Could have been better but joking and making fun of one another makes daily efforts fun. Joining a dungeon that someone else could not finish also helps. Heck myself and two others wiped Cragmire from the start only to have the last two join at the last camp fire. Punks! WE had fun anyway.

I saw someone post "no life" or "one game" and to that I ask, how much are you spending on "a game" that expires in less than a years time? So how much are you spending on these games in a year? I have spent a third of what I would spend if I engaged other games. I might be missing out on something cool, but I am into this and don't give other games a second look.

For those that did not pay attention, this is D&D. It's origins date back to the early 70's. This MMO is barely breaking the surface and will get legs over time (with growing pains) like its table top version has done.

I am OK with the AD structure, it allowed the market to sell me both necklace and belt of Lostmauth for 176K. :)
    Guild: Spectrum
    .. Teucer (HR) / Maximus Decimus (DC) .. GT: ApexDemon
    ...The original post, I believe, was commenting on the difficulty for new players to establish a 'toe hold' on the game economy in it's current form....

This.

I am having fun, don't get me wrong but I see a ton of stuff out of my reach.

The economy has changed and so my active guildies focus and needs changed to adopt this current environment. Anyone read "Who moved my cheese?"

My guild understands we must work closely together to make a diamond in this economy. Combined, I sold (some sales pending) and salvaged 140K'ish in four hours last night. Could have been better but joking and making fun of one another makes daily efforts fun. Joining a dungeon that someone else could not finish also helps. Heck myself and two others wiped Cragmire from the start only to have the last two join at the last camp fire. Punks! WE had fun anyway.

I saw someone post "no life" or "one game" and to that I ask, how much are you spending on "a game" that expires in less than a years time? So how much are you spending on these games in a year? I have spent a third of what I would spend if I engaged other games. I might be missing out on something cool, but I am into this and don't give other games a second look.

For those that did not pay attention, this is D&D. It's origins date back to the early 70's. This MMO is barely breaking the surface and will get legs over time (with growing pains) like its table top version has done.

I am OK with the AD structure, it allowed the market to sell me both necklace and belt of Lostmauth for 176K. :)

Finally someone talking some sense... apart from who moved my cheese lol :)

I agree with everything you said. People are just too short minded and want everything within a few days of playing it seems, to much of a rush to obtain things. If it takes 2 weeks of playing to save up for something then I`ll do that, I will not complain about it (I`m not saying people should not complain mind you).
    Alts :

Member of Q-Snipe