test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Enough with the Crushing Wave Lockboxes!

fogtripperfogtripper Member Posts: 179 Arc User
Since the patch they are dropping off of about 50% of the fights, often twice in one fight. We get it Cryptic, you want us to spend money. This just in: There was no lack of lockboxes before the patch. This is merely a huge annoyance now.

Comments

• Options
    theycallmetomutheycallmetomu Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,861 Arc User
    Yeah, lockbox drop rates are kind of silly. But, I mean, they only ever take up one slot in your inventory anyway, so in the end it's not really much of a problem.
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,220 Arc User
    In addition, you don't have to pick it up.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator

In addition, you don't have to pick it up.

That's often unavoidable, as it gets picked up when you run over it. Having said that, it's not really much of an inconvenience.
    Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    It is as avoidable as goldseller spam, and just as annoying. It is literally spam at this point.

As for it only taking up one slot, with only a small free inventory, every slot counts. Absolutely nothing that takes up main bag space should be autoloot. Stick them in the currency tab if they absolutely have to be autoloot.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Does it matter if it drops more or if it drops less? As long as it drops, you have the same issue. 1, 30, 300 take the same amount of bag space.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    edited September 2015

Does it matter if it drops more or if it drops less?

It takes up bag space. Bag space costs money. PERIOD.

It mattered enough for Cryptic to change them to drop more often. As I stated above it is as annoying as goldseller spam now. It is basically changing "spend money on zen" to "SPEND MONEY ON ZEN SPEND MONEY ON ZEN SPEND MONEY ON ZEN"

Every place you turn there is a suggestion to spend money on zen. Did they really need to multiply it to the Nth degree? It is not simply that it is an item. It is the moneygrab spam side of it that is immensely off-putting. Hell you are not even buying something beyond the CHANCE at something.
  • Options
    regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,043 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    I don't mind them dropping all over the place, just wish i could exchange them for some of the older lockboxes during every event, that would be nice.

Otherwise, just sell them for some copper to a NPC, or some AD over the AH.
    Post edited by regenerde on
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    doublepost
  • Options
    jaotutjaotut Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 576 Arc User
    I find the grey loots a lot more annoying. If you want to pick up say a rank 5 on the floor, you have no option but to also pick up a garbage that comes along with it.
    Merlin - CW Merlyn - HR Psylocke - TR Black Widow - GWF

Have the gear and skills, but lack the friends to play with? Come and apply for Essence of Aggression. We have been here and strong since beta. (Immature, rude, and arrogant people will not be accepted)
  • Options
    zibadawazibadawa Member Posts: 1,266 Arc User
    They do take up more than one space. Stack size is limited to 999. Didn't take terribly long to need a second stack before. If they've amped up the drop rates then you'll be cluttering up your inventory in no time.
  • Options
    darkstarcrashdarkstarcrash Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,382 Arc User
    zibadawa said:

They do take up more than one space. Stack size is limited to 999. Didn't take terribly long to need a second stack before. If they've amped up the drop rates then you'll be cluttering up your inventory in no time.

One bag space is filled, drag stack and discard: problem solved.

• Options
    hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,460 Arc User
    You're talking about the same Marketing geniuses who force us to see every single "soandso has acquired a Shiny New Item (tm) from the Spend Some Zen Lockbox".

Somehow I doubt that Wharton teaches, "if your customers aren't spending money, annoy the hell out of them until they do."
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • Options
    edited September 2015

Does it matter if it drops more or if it drops less?

It takes up bag space. Bag space costs money. PERIOD.

It mattered enough for Cryptic to change them to drop more often. As I stated above it is as annoying as goldseller spam now. It is basically changing "spend money on zen" to "SPEND MONEY ON ZEN SPEND MONEY ON ZEN SPEND MONEY ON ZEN"

Every place you turn there is a suggestion to spend money on zen. Did they really need to multiply it to the Nth degree? It is not simply that it is an item. It is the moneygrab spam side of it that is immensely off-putting. Hell you are not even buying something beyond the CHANCE at something.
    What is your solution if it drops less often (such as once per hour)? It still takes one bag space and it still costs money.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

What is your solution if it drops less often (such as once per hour)? It still takes one bag space and it still costs money.

As for it only taking up one slot, with only a small free inventory, every slot counts. Absolutely nothing that takes up main bag space should be autoloot. Stick them in the currency tab if they absolutely have to be autoloot.

Plasticbat, you are suspiciously defensive of changes like this. It is an annoyance that has been exasperated with this patch. Seriously, how can you defend this?.
  • Options
    suxip01111suxip01111 Member Posts: 217 Arc User
    jaotut said:

I find the grey loots a lot more annoying. If you want to pick up say a rank 5 on the floor, you have no option but to also pick up a garbage that comes along with it.

The grey loot sells for a nice amount, and it stacks, you can earn a lot of gold by picking it up.
  • Options
    jaotutjaotut Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 576 Arc User

jaotut said:

The grey loot sells for a nice amount, and it stacks, you can earn a lot of gold by picking it up.
    But then there are more than 1 type of the grey items, so it uses up more space than the lockbox, which you can also vendor.

It'd be nice to have an auto discard for useless items.
    Merlin - CW Merlyn - HR Psylocke - TR Black Widow - GWF

Have the gear and skills, but lack the friends to play with? Come and apply for Essence of Aggression. We have been here and strong since beta. (Immature, rude, and arrogant people will not be accepted)
  • Options
    d4rthd00fusd4rthd00fus Member Posts: 453 Arc User

Plasticbat, you are suspiciously defensive of changes like this. It is an annoyance that has been exasperated with this patch. Seriously, how can you defend this?.
    LoL didn't take you long to start sounding crabby like the rest of us. Welcome to Neverwinter! By the time you have hit 70 and gotten your first artifact gear to epic you will be pulling your hair out and decrying the stupidity of the game's leadership like the rest. Just remember a week ago you were an apologist loudmouth n0-0bie who didn't know jack about what he was defending but that didn't stop ya.
  • Options
    eion311eion311 Member Posts: 338 Arc User
    You guys are clearly running out of things to complain about.
  • Options
    misquamacus2misquamacus2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 193 Arc User
    It's probably connected to the VIP's getting a key per day. Just to make sure you have a box to open

• Options
    mifiisumifiisu Member Posts: 205 Arc User
    Just sold a 999 stack to a regular merchant for gold, not bad :)
  • Options
    zibadawazibadawa Member Posts: 1,266 Arc User
    mifiisu said:

Just sold a 999 stack to a regular merchant for gold, not bad :)

Liar. 999 doesn't even get you 80 silver.

• Options
    mattsacremattsacre Member Posts: 330 Arc User
    I think they need to reform the lockbox system entirely. Why have 40 doz. different lock boxes? Have each new lock box type be a "potential" new item available.

Have a lockbox vendor, have what drops from any lockbox a marker item, a mount token, a trade bar token, an random AD value a professions token whatever etc.

You go to the vendor and what he has available is updated, not the lockboxs. So you open new generic lockbox Mk.2 and you get a mount token, you take it to vendor and get a menu of mounts to choose from, as ea new iteration of lockbox CONTENT comes in, his MENU is updated, not the box. Then you could get the older mounts and content without saving umpteen lockbox type stacks, the VENDOR has the stacks :)

Repeat this for new companion types etc. if you need a randomness to what professions pack drops or something, if they just can't stand you getting a choice, then make the token exchange via vendor have the randomizer through them. So too the trade bars, the random AD etc.

If it was emplimented this way, I know my guild could reclaim a doz. slots back from ea box model type we have hoarded :)
  • Options
    santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    I've been tripping over them. Sometimes 2 per fight. Whose been clear-cutting for all the wood in those?
  • Options
    santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    mattsacre said:

I think they need to reform the lockbox system entirely. Why have 40 doz. different lock boxes? Have each new lock box type be a "potential" new item available.

Have a lockbox vendor, have what drops from any lockbox a marker item, a mount token, a trade bar token, an random AD value a professions token whatever etc.

You go to the vendor and what he has available is updated, not the lockboxs. So you open new generic lockbox Mk.2 and you get a mount token, you take it to vendor and get a menu of mounts to choose from, as ea new iteration of lockbox CONTENT comes in, his MENU is updated, not the box. Then you could get the older mounts and content without saving umpteen lockbox type stacks, the VENDOR has the stacks :)

Repeat this for new companion types etc. if you need a randomness to what professions pack drops or something, if they just can't stand you getting a choice, then make the token exchange via vendor have the randomizer through them. So too the trade bars, the random AD etc.

If it was emplimented this way, I know my guild could reclaim a doz. slots back from ea box model type we have hoarded :)

But that loses the SPECIAL PRIZE! effect. Similar to the way they took it away from dungeon drops with the seals system. And they won't do that with the pure, unadulterated gambling for RL$ aspect of the game.
  • Options
    yawulfyawulf Member Posts: 139 Arc User
    yea i am also starting to think ppl have run up on tins to complain aba, i mean its 1 bag space which u can press auto run open bag and discard, which actuallyy is not game breaking
  • Options
    edited September 2015

What is the difference of the annoyance level between dropping more frequent and less frequent? This is the 3rd times I asked and you did not give me a straight answer. It is indifference comparing from beta version years ago to now. It will take one space. The keyword: indifference. Nothing to defend. If you really want to get what you want, ask them to stop dropping lockbox, period. And not asking them to drop using the same ratio as before. It is pointless.
  • Options
    nathanjmnathanjm Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    If you run the http://gateway.playneverwinter.com/ in a browser at the same time as the game, you can sell junk inventory items to a vendor from anywhere. As long as you can park in a safe spot in the map for 30 seconds, you can alt-tab and sell. I agree that's not ideal, but it certainly helps unload junk for game-gold w/o discarding.
  • Options
    regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,043 Arc User
    Yeah, that would be an idea, if the game wouldn't crash, when some of us try to alt+tab to desktop...
    ViP rank 12, if my inventory fills up, i just call the profession vendor/mail box/bank vault to free it up again.
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • Options
    juleadreamjuleadream Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 372 Arc User
    Extremely minor annoyance, like a fly at the screen door while you're trying to watch TV. Far bigger issues in this game than increased lockbox drops. Discard them on the fly, or sell them to a vendor, give them away... really, it isn't an issue. Maybe when they have finished fixing the economy, fixing all bugs, fixing all exploits, and provided us with completely new, compelling content to keep us occupied for more than a month, this lockbox issue can be dealt with.