test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why do I have to hold down LB to jump??

elkayemelkayem Member Posts: 16 Arc User
edited August 2015 in Player Feedback (Xbox One)
Why the do I have to hold down LB to jump?! That is stupid, clunky, and POINTLESS!!!!! The ONLY thing is "A" is used for it to pick up loot! Having to hold down LB is getting me killed(especially on Tiamat platforming) and costing me money on injury kits.

-Kay
Post edited by zebular on

Comments

• Options
    patsfirepatsfire Member Posts: 833 Arc User
    You don't use your pointer/middle finger on your left hand for anything else in this game. Why would holding LB be an issue lol
  • Options
    patsfire wrote: »
    You don't use your pointer/middle finger on your left hand for anything else in this game. Why would holding LB be an issue lol

Because it's UNECESSARY. I don't use the back button either but that doesn't mean we should start utilizing it for in game mechanics. Why should I have to press two buttons when I can press ONE, that is used <1% of the time. It's a LOT easier to just press A, rather than LB+A. How hard is that to understand?

-Kay
  • Options
    armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    I thought the same thing earlier today but Jdnutz is correct that you could accidentally bring up another player's menu when trying to jump - unless they made that use the 3 button combo instead - now THAT would be a good move :D
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • Options
    indiscriminantindiscriminant Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    Although in not nearly as hostile of a response, I do agree with OP.

From a mechanics standpoint most FP/TP games use A to jump and simply pressing A for in game jumping/fighting/moving mechanics would be much easier. Inspecting and interacting with objects happens in a much less frenetic setting and would be more appropriate to simply do the LB+A combo for that situation. A simple reversal of the functions would make more logical and game play sense.
  • Options
    Although in not nearly as hostile of a response, I do agree with OP.

Inspecting and interacting with objects happens in a much less frenetic setting and would be more appropriate to simply do the LB+A combo for that situation. A simple reversal of the functions would make more logical and game play sense.

^this

-Kay
  • Options
    Its not hard to understand. The part I don't understand is why you think it is such an problem to press two buttons. You do the same thing to use dailies/artifacts, so its not a big deal.
  • Options
    Its not hard to understand. The part I don't understand is why you think it is such an problem to press two buttons. You do the same thing to use dailies/artifacts, so its not a big deal.

elkayem wrote: »
    That is stupid, clunky, and POINTLESS!!!!
    ^How do you miss that, selective vision? And don't even bring up artifacts/dailies, X,Y, & B are used for other skills as well, so it makes sense to press multiple buttons for those(for many reasons).

How do you people not realize that using A is just a simpler, easier, more comfortable way of jumping?? The easiest way to do something is ALWAYS the best way. Can I AT LEAST get key rebinding since some people don't agree, or just simply don't care?? Is that too much to ask for? Seriously....there's NO logic in making me press two buttons to do a FUNDAMENTAL game command.

-Kay
  • Options
    "A" is used to pick things up and interact with people. Which is what MOST people would do on a daily basis, so having it set to "A" makes perfect sense. Having you press LB and A to jump, only use is that ONE SINGLE direction in ELOL, is not that big of a deal.
  • Options
    b0redgamerb0redgamer Member Posts: 254 Arc User
    I used to think the same way as you when I first started playing this game, but 1000 hours of game time later i've grown accustomed to jumping and it's like second nature now. I don't think they will change this because it's the same way on pc where you have to hit two buttons at same time.

No lol. On the PC the space bar is to jump. I know it is big but it is still just one button. ;)

Signature under construction, stay tuned.
    GT: b0red gamer
  • Options
    mikeyfliesmikeyflies Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    There are not enough buttons to go around.

Over the course of playing a character (yes the ENTIRE playtime) do you think you hit interact with things more (picking up loot, throwing levers, opening chests/kits,etc) or jumping? I suspect this is the evaluation that was used to determine which buttons made it to the primary and which were relegated to secondary.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    mikeyflies wrote: »
    There are not enough buttons to go around.

Over the course of playing a character (yes the ENTIRE playtime) do you think you hit interact with things more (picking up loot, throwing levers, opening chests/kits,etc) or jumping? I suspect this is the evaluation that was used to determine which buttons made it to the primary and which were relegated to secondary.

Agreed. The jumping in this game does not serve as much of a purpose as interacting.

<removed moderation commentary - read the Rules please>

• Options
    Ok.....people are getting hung up on the fact that "A" is an interaction button, and loot button. There's a simple solution for that, DON'T LET ME JUMP when I'm in proximity of an interaction point/loot. Simple.

People are thinking that I'm jumping while in combat as a defensive tactic or *something*. No, I specifically stated: "in Tiamat's Temple". I'll get specific: when I'm going from: Blue-->Black/red, I'm not simply pressing two buttons to get to one of those platforms; I'm pressing LB+A+direction of movement+head movement+Pressing down on the left control stick to try and "Shift", just so I can clear the gap. I have seen many people get wiped out(including me), causing us to fail our run(sometimes) because of this stupid, unorthodox, overly complex, and POINTLESS mechanic.

I shouldn't have to hold down and/or a button in *literally*, every quadrant of my controller to do that one(what should be) simple, mechanic. Do you guys now kinda understand how stupid and overly complicated that is??? JUST to make a jump..

If Cryptic can't change this one simple thing, I'm willing to compromise: they could at minimum, give me a FULLY FUNCTIONAL key rebinding option, and you guys who don't mind, can deal w/that clunky jump mechanic, I'm fed up.

-Kay
  • Options
    willwheatleywillwheatley Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    Wait.... you can jump in this game?
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2015
    Moderator Notice:

Folks, do read our Rules and Policies. At no time should one be rude or disrespectful to anyone. Furthermore, if one has an inquiry on Moderation or said Rules and Policies, please do as they specify and contact someone on the Community Team via Private Message to discuss and/or inquire upon such. Please do not reply to this moderator notice, for as stated above, such is not allowed. Contact us via PM to discuss such instead. Thanks!
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    jdnutz wrote: »

^^this would be better for us........................but imo the jumping is not a problem, the only issue i have is while in tiamat and trying to jump platforms, ive instead interacted with a player and accidently reported them, ive done this a few times or i,ve interacted with another player and got myself killed, BUT on the whole i dont see the jumping as a problem unlike some other major issues.

^Fair enough, I've run into several other problems as well. This is just the most immediate one that's affecting **me** atm, that would be a VERY EASY fix. They could hot fix a solution in! :D I wonna slap the dev who came up w/the idea to hold LB to jump, it's so frustrating. Like why did they think that was a good idea?? I've hated it since day one, and my opinion hasn't changed at all. It's so so so SO stupid, and pointless. I haven't talked to one person who "likes" it, everyone just "tolerates" it. Well I'm tired of tolerating it.

-Kay
  • Options
    sudnd3thsudnd3th Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    I used to think the same way as you when I first started playing this game, but 1000 hours of game time later i've grown accustomed to jumping and it's like second nature now. I don't think they will change this because it's the same way on pc where you have to hit two buttons at same time.

It is not the same was as PC to jump, PC has it easy to jump, just hit spacebar and you jump, it's the biggest viable tactic in pvp to use jumping to be able to keep your character moving and not from missing certain skills. Yes i can do during pvp and use it to my advantage the way it is but when things really heat up its to hard to toss it into encounters.

I've mentioned this when the game first came out but the thread never got any action, ppl were probably to new to realize what a hindrance LB+A to jump was and didn't really need it often in PvE
    suDnd3th - LvL 70 PvP WK Scoundrel TR
    Pyx - LvL 60 PvP AC DC Retired

XB1 GT - suDnd3th
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    My nephew plays the XBOX version on occasion and I bore witness to his frustration trying to jump, especially when scrying stone hunting or trying to get from place to place without falling. Neither one of us like the LB+A jump and just wish it would be like most games where either A or Y was jump. It would be even better to be able to remap the keys entirely.
  • Options
    zebular wrote: »
    My nephew plays the XBOX version on occasion and I bore witness to his frustration trying to jump, especially when scrying stone hunting or trying to get from place to place without falling. Neither one of us like the LB+A jump and just wish it would be like most games where either A or Y was jump. It would be even better to be able to remap the keys entirely.

^ohhh, that validation. Feels so good to hear someone on the support side agree, and understand what I'm talking about.

-Kay
  • Options
    wdj40wdj40 Member Posts: 1,958 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Ha ha what a funny topic.

My problem is when I go to play other games now, after 800-900hrs I go away to play a shooter or other game and every time I go to jump, I throw a grenade or something 1st, really hard to get used to jumping without holding LB :)
    Main - Rydia (HR70) - Xbox One Player only
    Alts :
    Storm (SW70), Edge (TR70), AD Farm (CW70), Grunt (GF70), Rosa (DC70), AD AD AD (GWF70), Your Mum (OP70)

Member of Q-Snipe
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    For a future reference, you don't HAVE TO jump from platform to platform. Is it quicker, yes, is it easier. You can most certainly still beat Tiamat by running around the gaps.

<Moderator Notice: Removed rudeness.>
  • Options
    For a future reference, you don't HAVE TO jump from platform to platform. Is it quicker, yes, is it easier. You can most certainly still beat Tiamat by running around the gaps.

<Moderator Notice: Removed rudeness.>

Yeah that's not an option, but thank you for your tip.

-Kay
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    I still do not understand the issue. I get what you are saying but as an avid gamer on console and pc there are far more complex controls in a lot of games. This mechanic seems very simple in my opinion. I will explain so as not to be misunderstood as being insulting.

In Neverwinter when "jumping the gap" in Tiamat you must use the left stick to move, hold the LB button, press A to jump in the direction you are moving and push in the same left stick that is already in use to "shift".

Okay, now let us take a modern shooter for example. In order to aim down the barrel or scope and fire while moving requires the following: Move with the left stick while holding the left trigger to aim down the barrel, right stick to aim then right trigger to fire. This does not include added factors such as jumping before/while firing or crouching etc.

Next, a fighting game. Many fighting games require complex combinations of buttons and stick movements to pull off combos. I will not go into much detail here but as an example look at any Xbox One guide to Killer Instinct. Far more complex than the simple mechanic we are discussing here.

Last, sports games. Sports games often require you to use multiple button combinations similar to what is presented here. Move with the left stick, hold down a particlar button, then shoot/throw/pass/kick with another button. I will use a game I am currently playing often as an example, Rocket League(PS4). In order to perform a very quick hard hit on the ball you must use the left stick to steer while using R2 to drive forward. Then you must boost with O while moving forward, then jump/flip forward with X while holding R2 and using the left stick to control the flip into the ball. Sounds complicated but after a few times it becomes a simple thing to do.

In closing, I just can not wrap my head around this as being an issue. Maybe it is just me. I have found Neverwinter's mechanics to be fairly simple. I do agree however that a remap option should be included in Neverwinter and most other games. That would solve any control issues any player has.
    Post edited by b0redgamer on
  • Options
    sudnd3thsudnd3th Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    its not multiple button combinations and complex combinations that are the problem its that LB locks you out of skills you commonly use. I'm going to go at it from a pvp view to show you how complex it can be and with how laggy the controls can be sometimes due to in game lag.

LB+A > Release LB > X > LB+A > Release LB > B its a pain in the butt combo having to use LB release LB over and over. During lag you have to hold LB for a few seconds just to get it to react properly. See it commonly in Tiamat going to jump off to the next platform. I hit LB quickly and hold it a split second and then hit A for the jump and i just run off the edge due to the lag of the control sequence. The more lag the more delay i see from LB's menu switching up. Its unpractical setup. I know all about button combo's and so forth.

Thing about LB is its a menu switch so unless you delay yourself based on lag its not fluid at all. Its not a button combo now its a HUD swap button to open up another HUD of actions.
    suDnd3th - LvL 70 PvP WK Scoundrel TR
    Pyx - LvL 60 PvP AC DC Retired

XB1 GT - suDnd3th