test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Commands on .ini file

absolynavi3absolynavi3 Member Posts: 31 Arc User
Greetings,

Is there a way to specify somewhere that when the game starts it auto configure some settings, in the way of entering the commands on an .ini file or something alike? e.g. /combatlog 1 for the log generated and writting always...

Thanks in advance
//Severance
KUuXsKu.jpg

Comments

• kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    You might be able to do it in the options with the launcher commands, but I don't know. I don't think people should be editing the .ini files, as that could cause some unknown issues later.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • absolynavi3absolynavi3 Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    It's not as harmful as it may look for an experienced user. This is a common way of customizing lots of games, you can do amazing things tweaking ini files, take as an example Skyrim, Fallout series, old Neverwinter games and so.

btw, I only want to include the combatlog "autostart" and some minor command at the game startup,

Thanks ;)
    KUuXsKu.jpg
  • henry404henry404 Member Posts: 690 Arc User
    I'd quite like to be able to include the password as a command-line switch or in some other way that would save my lazy soul from having to type it.

I would expect there to be a whole bunch of command-line switches for forcing gfx modes and setting various game options.
  • kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    You should not have the combat log running all the time - the log will get extremely long and it will begin causing performance issues. There's a reason why it toggles and defaults to being off.
    edited August 2015
    kvet wrote: »
    You should not have the combat log running all the time - the log will get extremely long and it will begin causing performance issues. There's a reason why it toggles and defaults to being off.

Thanks for your response, but after running the log several days doing Tiamats and Dragon runs on Stronghold the log only reaches 70Mb or so... I doubt any software could have performance issues by writing logs... this is just an output and the game has nothing to check inside this clean text file so I'm sure it won't cause problems excecpt for the size of the log could reach after some months of usage, where cleaning the log should be take as a maintenance task of the PC.

Any help with the ini file or any other suggested method would be appreciated :)

BR

KUuXsKu.jpg
  • luisandluisand Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    Dunno about *.ini files, but you could always just bind it to a key. If you havent allready :wink:
    Finally a proud member of The Lower Depths of Neverwinter.
  • suicidalgodotsuicidalgodot Member Posts: 2,465 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    kvet wrote: »

[...] I doubt any software could have performance issues by writing logs... [...]

...classic example: WinXP.

Extremely stable for like 90 days of nonstop running, then crashed into oblivion due to logfile exceeding a certain size.
    @luisand: already tried but thanks a lot for the suggestion :)

@suicidalgodot: Dude, that's not comparable. If you know what you're talking about, and it seems so, you know that OS logging and the combat log, are not the same thing ;) BTW thanks your the constructive feedback :)

@jimmyhar: thanks for the idea! Did you already tried tweaking the startup through the reg? Any tip?

Thanks all for the answers, hope this thread can be constructive and for further use ;)
    KUuXsKu.jpg
  • bittynationbittynation Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    I bind combatlog to my number keys to make it easy...

/bind numpad4 "combatlog 1"
    /bind numpad5 "combatlog 0"