test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

crafting, gathering, fishing, cooking

killergilnyc1killergilnyc1 Member Posts: 175 Arc User
edited August 2015 in Player Feedback (PC)
can we please get some crafting, gathering, fishing, cooking into the game?
crafting to make items and stuff
fishing to catch and cook food.
gather materials to craft, as well as for cooking.

this would make use of a lot of the space in stronghold such as the lakes and rivers.

both crafting and fishing can give player exp and be an alternate way of leveling your char.

Comments

• Options
    aratecharatech Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 269 Arc User
    can we please get some crafting, gathering, fishing, cooking into the game?
    crafting to make items and stuff
    fishing to catch and cook food.
    gather materials to craft, as well as for cooking.

this would make use of a lot of the space in stronghold such as the lakes and rivers.

both crafting and fishing can give player exp and be an alternate way of leveling your char.

The game's increasingly transforming into a massive grindfest that most people will never accomplish short of turning this game into a second job. And you want Cryptic to introduce more grinding elements that they can use to withhold gear from the players (or more likely, use as an excuse to arbitrarily charge Zen for in order to alleviate some of the downright punitive grinding limits)? Am I understanding you properly?
  • Options
    theycallmetomutheycallmetomu Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,861 Arc User
    I think the idea is to make professions more interactive. They were like that back when I played Runes of Magic.

And boy was that a pain in the rear!
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    I definitely don't enjoy the fire and forget professions anywhere near as much as more direct and interactive trade skills as I used in other games. I don't enjoy just fighting things nonstop personally so simplifying trade skills to make it so that you don't have any non-combat activities is one of the design decisions I do not personally agree with.

However I doubt they will split it up to assign noobs (profession assets) to do it or do it yourself so I suspect despite my personal preference we are stuck with the Facebook Game style Profession System.
  • Options
    I wish they redid professions to be more quest-like. Something like "contracts" where you accept a contract, and then use the existing professions interface to deliver materials for those contracts. It wouldn't require any graphical updates, but it'd be a little more interactive, and since it's harder to automate, it'd be harder for bots to deal with.
  • Options
    btbsaul40btbsaul40 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 20 Arc User
    I'd love to see fishing. i wouldn't even care if it were profession-related or not. at present there is NOTHING to do while waiting for a queue because the lairs make questing a nightmare. (it will pop 1 min from the exit, you'll reluctantly leave because you've been in queue for half an hour, and you'll be standing at the front of ELOL with 1 whale, 2 nubs, and no tank.)
  • Options
    Technically, fishing is a minigame during the winter festival :P
  • Options
    zukn75zukn75 Member Posts: 364 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    I used to love fishing in Everquest, find a nice quiet place, do some guild admin, relax, or extreme fishing sneak a low level character into an area where the wandering mobs could 1 shot him and have fun that way.
    EQ2's minigame of professions was fun, for a while, if you wanted to get to max level not so much, but the interaction with the the tradeskilling machines, was hypnotizing, like a one armed bandit.
    This games tradeskills are Meh, the most excitement is in watching the countdown clock, and even 24 was better.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    I'm glad to see a bit more people agree with my feelings on this matter recently. Oft times when this came up people were like "I hate doing non-combat skills. I like this because it allows me to do fun stuff non-stop"

To me I just feel like the this game is sort of designed like a movie story which runs at 100% of the time. If you ever look into movie design the movies are supposed to oscillate and cycle between high and low tension but this game has only stop and go due to the lack of an interactive skill system.

Observe this graph of everybody's favorite formulaic movie:
    pacing_01_star_wars.gif

We need the downs to appreciate the ups and we need the ups to appreicate the downs. However with Neverwinter, as at least one of you pointed out, the downs too often are sitting and waiting in PE running in circles. No adventure, no direction.

As much as trade-skills become annoying they serve a purpose. They give us time to talk and interact with each other. Build friendships and community spirit. They allow us to log in and feel like we are accomplishing something when we might not have a full hour or so to devote to a dungeon delve.

I really do wish something like theycallmetomu described would be implemented where you had quests or contracts added in to make the system more interactive. Even basic fedex quests or treasure hunts for supplies would be a welcome addition.

Players need the ability to destress between dungeons and something I think every one of us can agree on: an activity to do while in queue which is forgiving as far as stopping on a whim. :)
  • Options
    My true goal was simply to make artificing and weaponsmithing not useless.

Speaking of: you should be able to make Surplus Packages with those two skills. Right now, the only way to make surplus with them would be to spend elemental aggregate, which is just so not worth it. But if you could, say, use 100 hafts and 100 axe blades to make "Pack of Weapons" which is worth X surplus, that'd at least make Weaponsmithing useful again.

There's a lot of ways the dev team could improve professions without having to add a whole lot more to the game in terms of things like graphics and characters (things that can break). I mean, the complexity is the kind of thing you could use in an old-school text based adventure game!
  • Options
    killergilnyc1killergilnyc1 Member Posts: 175 Arc User
    I know fishing is in the winter festival but I would like to see that in the game permanently. I'm sure others would too if there were an official poll.

It doesn't have to do anything with profession although those could be redone too.

I've never liked the profession system here because you don't really do anything yourself. Same with alchemy. Sure I would like to craft my own pots and the current profession could be redone so that you have the option of doing it yourself as well as having the "npcs" do it for you or a combination of both.

Then again Idc if they leave everything as is, and just add fishing as a new separate thing. =)
  • Options
    khimera906khimera906 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 898 Arc User
    I think you're asking too much. They would have to re-create proffesions from scratch, and that makes no sense to them.
    That said, I would love a more interactive crafting system. I didn't play GW2 for too long, but from what I remember, they had pretty decent crafting. Maybe we'll get something similar with a future module. Maybe M36? ... :D
    I hate dancing with Lady Luck. She always steps on my toes.
  • Options
    quspivquspiv Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,087 Arc User
    Fishing is nothing more but a bot fest, see lineage 2 or RIFT.
  • Options
    My proposed solution doesn't actually require reworking anything. It'd involve new tasks, and making some items that drop from professions into quest items, eg like the phylactery that drops in Neverdeath. You get contracts, you activate contracts to get quests, those quests are fulfilled by using professions to run tasks, you then turn in the materials somewhere, and get RADs.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    My true goal was simply to make artificing and weaponsmithing not useless.

Speaking of: you should be able to make Surplus Packages with those two skills. Right now, the only way to make surplus with them would be to spend elemental aggregate, which is just so not worth it. But if you could, say, use 100 hafts and 100 axe blades to make "Pack of Weapons" which is worth X surplus, that'd at least make Weaponsmithing useful again.

There's a lot of ways the dev team could improve professions without having to add a whole lot more to the game in terms of things like graphics and characters (things that can break). I mean, the complexity is the kind of thing you could use in an old-school text based adventure game!

Holy jeez, @theycallmetomu that sounds a lot like my idea to use Leadership to make Influence out of gold (because in my head, it's charity work that makes the peasants happy with you as the Stronghold overseer). I really like your idea too.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    I agree that I like the idea of using leadership to "purchase" influence as well.

The only caveat is that, I don't think they want to make using leadership tasks the optimal way to level up your guild. So there should be at least one resource that needs good old fashioned adventuring. But that's what Adventurer's Shards of Power are for. That being said, for those, as I've said, I recommend that-if not now, eventually-ASoPs be purchasable on the AH. Once the top tier guilds have completed their buildings, there's no reason for them to run dailies that give shards anymore, unless they can sell them on the AH.

Although, it occurs to me: is there a coffer max on the largest guild hall size? Once a guild has bought everything, and resources are donated to get guild marks ... is it possible that it'd be impossible for future guildies to donate anything and thus get guild marks, because all coffers are full and there's nothing to use the coffer resources on?
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    I hear they ran into that problem with STO and solved it by adding some form of repeatable resource-consuming tasks. Which makes sense.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia