test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Possible Gold Spam Solution Explained.

avanlinaavanlina Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited September 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
I have a suggestion to the perfectworld / Cryptic studio team:

A solution for the gold spammers in the neverwinter chat system

First assure implement a 2 step authenication when logging in to neverwinter. The same system is used already when a user logs in from a strange computer. An email is send to the user with a code in. Only make this not readable numbers letters, but make it like a captcha image.

Bots will get no chance when they try to login on the server.
When they do, this could be a next solution:

Put captcha questions in the quest's the user needs to do. Do this in random quest's, because bot's are specified in auto solving some captcha systems. If it's random, they cannot program it.

Other Solutions:

Add in the chat system this function: if a user place the same message for like eg 10 time's, give him a captcha question, if the user doens't fill in that question right for x times, ban him from X time from the chat, or disconnect the user his game session.

Many people yell that IP banning is the solution, but its not. Ill explain why:
IP addresses are dynamic allocated over the world, ofcourse there are subnets that are location bound. However, take the folowing example then in mind: Computer A in sweden that is connected to ISP A, wants to go on the internet, the modem / router sends a dhcp packet to the ISP, where the isp provides hime a dynamic ip address. When the lease time expires, the modem / router sends another dhcp request, and most of the times the router / modem receives a different dynamic IP.

Also keep then in mind, then when firewall X has blocked this ip address from ISP A, another client that hase the same ISP / Location, would getting blocked, because he also is getting dynamic ip addresses. So there is realy no point in doing such thing.

The only time when IP banning is OK, is when the bot / server / application has a static ip address. And even then, its a cold trick to spoof an ip, or just change from static ip.

So guys, let me know of what u think, and PWE / Cryptic, please considder this, because the gold spamming is getting worse again, and its game destroying before u know.

Greets,
Avanlina
Post edited by avanlina on

Comments

• Options
    anharmonanharmon Member Posts: 175
    edited September 2014
    No, I think not.

Captcha's are really annoying. I'm a human, and I sometimes have difficulty with them. Having them pop up on random quests will just irritate the playerbase.

Moreover, I believe many bots finish Blacklake district and then ignore the rest of the story progression quests.
  • Options
    avanlinaavanlina Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    anharmon wrote: »
    No, I think not.

Captcha's are really annoying. I'm a human, and I sometimes have difficulty with them. Having them pop up on random quests will just irritate the playerbase.

Moreover, I believe many bots finish Blacklake district and then ignore the rest of the story progression quests.

Any implementation will interupt / interference the user. Its just to finding the right balance.
  • Options
    chaoscourtesanchaoscourtesan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    If these were put in place I would not play. I do not use the gateway at all because of this.

Text string filtering can be made to work just fine. No idea why they don't use it. They allow the names themselves to be spam; sequentially numbered @names, 100's of names long..
    Rhyon Cawdorian GWF | Opa Loka TR | Cormac Argentus III DC | Annika Thornblade GF | Aerys Skydark HR | Bartin Findlor TR | Aellia Baalthrall CW | Lucan Hawkmoon CW | Opa Brahk GWF | Korzbyrk DC | Den Kruk GWF | Jherek Skarsin CW |
    Roland Mac Sheonin GF | Tarron Direheart SW |
  • Options
    reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    They could just add an aditional window each time you log in with a character, that asks you to answer a random easy question. but not adding things on quests, that would be too annoying.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    One gaming forum began requiring captcha to log in. Let's just say I didn't really want to log in an contribute any more. Anyway, don't interfere with your end users.
  • Options
    rezielereziele Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 66
    edited September 2014
    What if we are getting dc'ed alot because of bad connection, would we still have to enter that captcha code all the times? I would have to disagree with something like that.
    I just started trash talking them back till they put me on ignore, I used to get like 5-7 pm, and 3+ friend invites in a day from those, but now i barely get pm and no friend invite. lol
    ~We need more PvP types. Tired of Dominations!~
  • Options
    benja32gonsalesbenja32gonsales Member Posts: 236 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    It could be easy if the hire just one guy that ban the accounts of the gold spammers, then they would need to make a mail, make an account and make the tutorial, just to be baned again... they will get tired of doing this after some time.
  • Options
    criss11criss11 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Scarlet Blade game requires a code of 6 digits to select after you logged in , every time you click a number there will be a shuffle . I dont know if this is against spammers , the fantasy game is rated +18 age.

Speaking about banning an IP , not in game, on the internet , bcuz of spam is not recommended bcuz someone's account can get infected and send his email spams to all the friends in list involuntary. Also in game ,someone's account might be hacked and the evil person may send spams in chat .
    I suggest adding a shuffle numbers interface to choose a 6 code digits received in the mail but that would be another problem lol some ppl like me doesnt read the mailbox only once a month or so , only if needed urgent.
    Well anyways for now i don't find very annoying the gold spam in zone chat anymore, the only thing is that i received only few whispers and 2 mail with spam in game.

kicking system, lagg and crash at encounters , messed up autopath dragon quests and so on.
    open beta player of some PWE games - north america launched versions:
    - PWI - November, 2008 (2 months after North-America-West Coast open beta)
    - Forsaken World - open beta
    - BOI - open beta
    - Star Trek Online - ftp January, 2012 and rank 14 STO Wiki contributor
    - Neverwinter open beta June, 2013

Daily Foundry "Canyon of the Dead" ( NW-DBPJYKMRE ) - dungeon
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    No. None of this works. Level limts didn't work, moderation won't work, capcha's won't work. Any system that directly regulates the spammers won't work. It simply presents an obstacle that they can work to get around.

The only viable solution that will not punish or annoy other players is a client side custom filter. Allow each player to choose key words that block messages. The spammers won't know how many people are blocking them, they won't know if the message is getting out or not, they won't even know the various key words, so they can't bypass them. It puts up an invisible obsticle preventing them form finding ways around it. And if they do, users can adapt faster then the spammers can.
  • Options
    hefisdohefisdo Member Posts: 709 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    avanlina wrote: »
    Only make this not readable numbers letters, but make it like a captcha image.

Bots will get no chance

Captcha is very outdated against professional botters.
    (´・ ω ・`)
  • Options
    juleadreamjuleadream Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 372 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Here is what PWE should use against the goldsellers. One word.

LAWYERS
  • Options
    valwrynvalwryn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,620 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I can just envision what a Captcha Insect would look like, popping up and pouncing where it shouldn't. Right in the middle of an intense Boss battle, the Captcha screen pops-up. You make several attempts to type in the right words. By the time you get it right, you're DEAD! :(
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I'm probably getting old and need my eyes checked but I say no to Captcha's. I get 50% of them wrong.
  • Options
    cynogeniccynogenic Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    This... would be so annoying. Literally doing captcha images for every time you log in neverwinter. Also captcha for quests? That would be very harassing. It would deviate away from actual gameplay. If that happens all you see is a reminder of anti-gold bot procedures when Josef tells you to help Dorothea. Aka, "Please help my wife Dorothea shes sick but first answer this Captcha" lol.

There is nothing on the top of my head to suggest a better way to ban these gold-spammers. They can though, improve the response time of sent player reports, ie. report spams and etc. I report gold-spammers all the time.
  • Options
    zshikarazshikara Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I hate captchas. They would seriously break immersion in this game and totally ruin it. No, this is a bad idea.

The best way to stop gold spammers is to stop buying from them. I'm not blaming anyone in this thread or even this forum for buying from gold sellers, but they make their money somehow. People need to use better judgement and only buy from PWE.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tired of running dungeons with exploiters and cheaters? Join the legit channel by visiting http://goo.gl/1zfnTS to apply!
    Performing ritual pony sacrifices to Tiamat to earn favor with the RNG Gods since 2014.
  • Options
    zshikarazshikara Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    juleadream wrote: »
    Here is what PWE should use against the goldsellers. One word.

LAWYERS

Cryptic cannot enforce american law in china. It doesn't work that way. What these Chinese gold selling companies are doing is perfectly legal in their country.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tired of running dungeons with exploiters and cheaters? Join the legit channel by visiting http://goo.gl/1zfnTS to apply!
    Performing ritual pony sacrifices to Tiamat to earn favor with the RNG Gods since 2014.
  • Options
    burkaancburkaanc Member Posts: 2,186 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    avanlina wrote: »
    I have a suggestion to the perfectworld / Cryptic studio team:

A solution for the gold spammers in the neverwinter chat system

First assure implement a 2 step authenication when logging in to neverwinter. The same system is used already when a user logs in from a strange computer. An email is send to the user with a code in. Only make this not readable numbers letters, but make it like a captcha image.

Bots will get no chance when they try to login on the server.
    When they do, this could be a next solution:

Put captcha questions in the quest's the user needs to do. Do this in random quest's, because bot's are specified in auto solving some captcha systems. If it's random, they cannot program it.

i dont know about bots, but i doubt i would log in anymore in that case, as if among dailies, boons, professions there isnt enough annoying stuff for players to deal with
    Paladin Master Race
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Yea, PWEs other new game Swordsman has a real bot problem. They resorted to putting captcha's as a means to enter two of the more popular dungeons. The bots got past it without much effort, it simply made it more difficult for the legit players. It turned out to be such a dismal failure, PWE was forced to eventually remove the captchas
  • Options
    dfncedfnce Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Voted no. Bots are not a problem but people who buying from these sellers. PWE should convince players not to buy from thrid-party. Like giving more reasonable pricing.

Such "bots" can input any capcha in the world:
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2011/06/02/chinese-prisoners-forced-to-farm-world-of-warcraft-gold/
    EX-DL-BtS / ITF-KC-KB / BF-HD-IBS / FtF-IT-ST-Dis / CA-GW-PG
    "When no appropriate rule applies, make one up."
    — (The unwritten rule)

• Options
    edited September 2014
    dfnce wrote: »
    Voted no. Bots are not a problem but people who buying from these sellers. PWE should convince players not to buy from thrid-party. Like giving more reasonable pricing.

Such "bots" can input any capcha in the world:
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2011/06/02/chinese-prisoners-forced-to-farm-world-of-warcraft-gold/

Or they could go after they buyers. Make it where people know they'll get banned if they get caught, and they mostly won't buy. The RMT loses buyers and they move to greener pastures.
  • Options
    myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    reziele wrote: »
    I just started trash talking them back till they put me on ignore, I used to get like 5-7 pm, and 3+ friend invites in a day from those, but now i barely get pm and no friend invite. lol

LOL! That is hilarious and awesome!
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • Options
    myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I still support the idea of having in-game player moderators. It is not a perfect solution, but if it is WELL-MANAGED (removing those mods that break rules), it can do wonders for removing spamming bots from the game.

I think this is the best approach - I have seen its success in other MMOs.
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • Options
    nathanmehew2435nathanmehew2435 Member Posts: 140 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    The only viable solution that will not punish or annoy other players is a client side custom filter. Allow each player to choose key words that block messages. The spammers won't know how many people are blocking them, they won't know if the message is getting out or not, they won't even know the various key words, so they can't bypass them. It puts up an invisible obstacle preventing them form finding ways around it. And if they do, users can adapt faster then the spammers can.
    I personally like this idea and will help out allot, I don't know how hard this would be to code but i would really love to see this implemented in the game.
    Only problem is that it's only helping us ignore the problem instead of fixing it
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I personally like this idea and will help out allot, I don't know how hard this would be to code but i would really love to see this implemented in the game.
    Only problem is that it's only helping us ignore the problem instead of fixing it

I think any difficulty in implementation will be in adding it to the client not in the function of the filter it's self. Many other games have this filter as a lua mod so it's not the creation of the filter itself that should be the problem.
  • Options
    saskgodfathersaskgodfather Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    When I began playing you were unable to communicate in chat until you leveled up. I thought this was a perfect prevention for spammers and nobody is going to level characters to spam and then have them blocked.
  • Options
    juleadreamjuleadream Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 372 Arc User
    When I began playing you were unable to communicate in chat until you leveled up. I thought this was a perfect prevention for spammers and nobody is going to level characters to spam and then have them blocked.

Since zone chat is infested with spammers (along with trade and lfg), they DO level characters only to have them banned. They don't care, the spam bots are disposable.

Nice bit of necromancy, btw. Can a mod please put Vilithrax back to sleep now?

• Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    They could do something like present you with a selection of 6 assorted shapes in different colors, shuffled up, and tell you to "pick the blue square" or something. One incorrect selection reshuffles the selection and changes the question, with failing one further beyond that presenting you with a final try, before booting you out and requiring either a new PIN be sent to the associated email or disallowing access to the account for like 30 minutes...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    Closing this down as it's a terribly old thread. Please take note of when the thread was last posted in--unfortunately, there is no auto-lock feature for old threads. If more than 30 days have passed, feel free to start a new discussion or find a more recent, active one. Thanks!!
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
This discussion has been closed.