test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Need Help on DPS MoF Build

ankabird1ankabird1 Member Posts: 133 Arc User
edited June 2015 in The Library
Hey Guys;

I played that game long motnhs as SS CW. I play CW MoF few months and i am not satisfied with my DPS. Need help on build and advises. I dont wanna change to CW SS, pls enligten me.

I am looking for a build with Swarf Destroction, Critical Configuration and Renegade.

I am using rank 7-8 enchants, rank 99 artifact, greater vorpal, rank 60 main-off hands and necklace with belt(under effect of valindra set)

My current dps is 1/2 of CW SS build with perfect vorpal,rank 100 artifacts, rank 60 main-off hands and belt necklace and he got rank 10 enchants too. (I cant post him here since not allowed etc :) )

Main hand has critical con passive too.

So my dps is lower cuz of equipment and artifacts or is there anything i should use.

Skills i use from tab to r.

Fanning Flame,Steal Time,CoI,Icy Terrain

Thx for advises.

(If needed i will upload my build)

P.S: I use Elemental Reinforcenment too but it is not triggered by 3rd time with Fanning Flame, current bug. So only %10 dmg comes from feat at max.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    ankabird1 wrote: »
    My current dps is 1/2 of CW SS build with perfect vorpal,rank 100 artifacts, rank 60 main-off hands and belt necklace and he got rank 10 enchants too. (I cant post him here since not allowed etc :) )

That's actually accurate. If you're doing 1/2 the DPS of a SS build, you're about right as far as the best a MoF is going to do.

Wish it wasn't so, but Modules 4/5/6 pretty much killed MoF as far as being competitive in the DPS department.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    ankabird1ankabird1 Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Hımm thx for reply then.

I gotta reach my mate's level and had to see the result; but well Spell Storm gonna be nerfed so it will change things
  • Options
    str8slayerstr8slayer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 715 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2015
    If you want a DPS CW build you'll need a SS renegade at this time, it's due for a considerable nerf very soon, but it will still be played in PVE.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sangrinesangrine Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    First, majority of CW are not MoF. Many CW know little about MoF and will give poor advice.

Biggest problem I see ....
    If you are a Renegade and have Elemental reinforcement, then you don't have spell twisting.
    Spell twisting gives you faster action point gain, more control, and more dps.

I use Swath of Destruction only for some difficult boss fights.

Some key parts of my Tiefling MoF build:

Fight On = 5/5
    Prestidigitation = 2/3
    Focused Wizardy = 3/3

Uncertain Allegiance = 5/5
    Chilling Advantage = 5/5
    spell twisting = 5/5

For solo and general purpose: Shield (on tab) + steal time + icy terrain + disintegrate
    The cooldown on Fanning the Flame is much too long, in my opinion.

With spelltwisting and Fight On, and because sometimes you will dodge (shift), you don't lose too much dps from Shield.
    Critical conflagration + Chilling Presence
    Scorching burst and chilling cloud
    Furious immolation and Ice Knife

Sigil of the Devoted artifact

For boss fights, you may want to change to more single target.
  • Options
    xreverusxxreverusx Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I have almost the same spells slotted as Sangrine, here are my feats n such... I have been rockin MoF for over a year now, I don't know if I would go as far as to say that it is my favorite build, but I do totally love freezing stuff and lighting it on fire!!!
    Liela%20Selonas_Character%20Sheet%20Items_zpsqbn5grzt.png
    Liela%20Selonas_Feats_zpsjlv9flfd.jpg
    Liela%20Selonas_Stats_zpsrfmxc3vw.png

This is how I roll, and it works fine. Also... any suggestions to help with killing faster and not getting killed...
    I know everyone is going crazy about hit points right now like it is a... measure of manhood, but I don't think that just cause all the new gear is focused on HP that means that damage resist and life steal and heal are somehow forgotten...
    Nothing in IWD or Temple of Tiamat can one-shot me (as far as I remember) so I say 30k is fine for a CW.. besides, I have teleport!
  • Options
    romotheoneromotheone Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 729 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    LOL the 2 guys above me are the best trolls on this forum! Don't listen to them and please, don't even copy what they are telling you, it's going to get you nowhere.
  • Options
    silence1xsilence1x Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    romotheone wrote: »
    LOL the 2 guys above me are the best trolls on this forum! Don't listen to them and please, don't even copy what they are telling you, it's going to get you nowhere.

Explain please. Why do you say they are trolls? Do you have better suggestions for the OP?
    I aim to misbehave
  • Options
    phoenix1021phoenix1021 Member Posts: 532 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Don't listen to people that say MoF does half damage of stormspell mages. It's a few percentages less and the difference gets small the longer a battle goes on. MoF also have the best daily power in this game.
    Unfortunately I am playing with thaumaturge. I can post a screenshot of my feats, maybe it helps, but it's just not renegade. I believe having both icy veins and spell twisting is important for my wizard, so there was no room to go for renegade, even though that capstone is pretty awesome. Btw, the thaumaturge capstone does not deal just weapon damage, it uses all the % damage bonuses you have and counts as arcane damage, so it is a lot more damage than it might seem to be from the description.
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    What makes a MoF do more DPS the longer the fight goes on? Can you share some parses from longer boss fights so we can see what that actually means?
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    ironzerg79 wrote: »
    What makes a MoF do more DPS the longer the fight goes on? Can you share some parses from longer boss fights so we can see what that actually means?

No. It's simply that rimefire needs time to deal it's damage, being a dot effect. That's not more dps (obviously), but it is more damage. But I don't keep records of my playing the game, sorry. All I can say is I would have notice if the damage was 50% less than a wizard with the other paragon path. I do however know that in a direct comparison the stormspell mage will "steal" my rimefire and always be higher in the paingiver chart. That is just how the mechanic works.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    But you understand the the Damage Per Second of Storm Spell is higher than the Damage Per Second of Smolder/Rimfire, right?

And higher DPS equals more damage over a given time period than lower DPS? In other words, a MoF is not doing more damage than a SS in longer fights.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Huh? I never said anything like that. Just that the difference in total damage between MoF and Stormspell gets smaller in longer fights and that it's not 50% less damage for a MoF. Why do you act all offended now? I'm confused
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Because that statement isn't actually true, that's why. ;)

For some reason there's this myth that that somehow MoF builds improve in longer fights versus SS. But it's not true.

DPS is DPS.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    helpimblindinrlhelpimblindinrl Member Posts: 972 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    He said the difference is going to get bigger the longer it goes. What you think is happening is a ss does a burst but the infrequency of bursts means that the continuous nature of mof damage will catch up to bursts in longer fights and you only see paingiver differences because fights are short. DPS is a measurement of damage per second usually measured by beating on dummies for ten minutes or whatever you think is good and it says to anyone with ACT open is that won't happen because it doesn't.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    He said the difference is going to get bigger the longer it goes. What you think is happening is a ss does a burst but the infrequency of bursts means that the continuous nature of mof damage will catch up to bursts in longer fights

What bursts? Storm Spell procs pretty consistently.

Unless you're talking about someone using EotS, but even then in a longer fight, like 5 or 10 minutes, those bursts of damage are actually consistentl, and result in the total DPS for the fight being higher. So the actual "gap" between the SS and the MoF never closes, unless you're talking about a very small window of fights that last more than 8 seconds but less that 20, in the case of someone using EotS.

But most Spellstorm CWs are using CP/SS these days, which provides very high and consistent damage.

So what you're talking about doesn't exist.

That's what I mean when I say DPS is DPS. There is nothing in the MoF spec that causes it's damage to "ramp up" over longer fights in order to close that damage gap, which is what it would need.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    solidbangerssolidbangers Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    This is as close as I have gotten to making MoF competitive. What Ironzerg79 says is largely true and that MoF is handicapped in PVE DPS ever since they nerfed Fanning the Flame. Here's what I've found to be most competitive. Not even using Fanning the Flame anymore. I focused on strictly using single target spec and abilities to make it strong even with others using AoEs. It provides good CC and DPS at the same time.

Chilling Cloud.

Entangling Force on tab. Chill Strike. Ray of Enfeeblemnet. Disintergrate.

Crit Conflag. Chilling Presence.

6C6314F08594EAA76164612A4C1ED4E83C2D133F

60k dps. 1 dummy.

76861A4E25CE7FE785CACA5AB403CCDD3CD5EC5B
    Post edited by solidbangers on
  • Options
    angrymanagementangrymanagement Member Posts: 487 Arc User
    ^^You should get better damage out of Swath of Destruction (instead of crit conflag)+ its a debuff that your whole team can take advantage of.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Boz81Ur.png
    xFBRFUU.png

lNiuMR1.png

42k dps on 1 dummy. No weapon enchant, Chilling Presence and Critical Conflag (usually run Swath for the group damage), rank 8 brutals in offense slots. I have an Ioun Stone of Allure(full Loyal Avenger with rank 5 azures in them and 2 lesser bondings in the offense slots) and an Erinyes on purple, Blink Dog, Wild Hunt Rider and Death Slaad on green.
    The build uses Icy Veins instead of Spell Twisting, so the test seems to be in your favors since Dummies don't get frozen after the first freeze. Getting a few gear upgrades here and there and with a Perfect or even higher Vorpal, I could go beyond the 60k as well. I'd love to see what ironzerg can do on his SS Rene CW and with what gear.

Zu9waEG.png

On another note, Elemental Reinforcement is not worth it due to the bug, fire spells don't proc the +5% damage from it. Go with Spell Twisting and pick Frozen Power Transfer.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Fresh ACT parse where I switched out Critical Conflag for Swath of Destruction.

eeqvyE4.png

There is something weird I have just realised... Icy Terrain is not displayed in here nor in the previous parse. Looking at previous parses, it deals about as much as conduit of ice, so if we add another 6% damage there, DPS goes up to 46k in this parse and to 44k in the previous one.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Here's a run I did today.

3 dummies. Using Fanning the Flame. 78k dps.

Chilling Cloud.

Entangling Force on tab. Steal Time. Icy Terrain. Fanning the Flame.

I do not use swath of destruction because chilling presence provides a better dps boost and losing Crit Conflag prevents smolder from being put on all enemies caught within the EF, IT, and ST AOE. Also putting FtF on tab has not yielded me better results but that doesn't mean a different spec may produce better results.

So Crit Conflag. Chilling Presence.

I do not put feat points into HP because it does not help do damage I'd rather have action points faster. Even if its a little bit faster.

6C6314F08594EAA76164612A4C1ED4E83C2D133F

29A92FA206A0CED97D6FE19D3F42C2861FE87403

I am reasonably sure this is about as good as it gets for MoF spec although the only reason I am posting in this thread is because I am hoping someone can provide me with evidence to show me a better way.

Using ACT on a dummy has its limitations however it is a good way to develop a baseline for what abilities can do what dps.
  • Options
    Steal Time does nothing for a MoF, other than providing additional CC. Fanning on Tab is awesome for doing dailies and in situations where mobs are grouped up and die quicker, otherwise CoI and Icy Terrain are the way to go, especially with a lostmauth set, because every tick procs the lostmauth, as well as refreshes the duration of rimefire. Also the +20% damage increase benefits the lol set more than +20% crit severity (if you're above 100% crit sev)
  • Options
    beatannierbeatannier Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 692 Arc User
    Steal Time does nothing for a MoF, other than providing additional CC.

I must strongly disagree.
    Steal Time slows, upstacks Arcane Mastery, damages; multiprocs many "on hit", "on attack" and "on encounter use" powers like Lostmauth; and finally stuns. It is one of the highest DPS encounters I can`t imagine running without.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    beatannier wrote: »
    Steal Time does nothing for a MoF, other than providing additional CC.

I must strongly disagree.
    Steal Time slows, upstacks Arcane Mastery, damages; multiprocs many "on hit", "on attack" and "on encounter use" powers like Lostmauth; and finally stuns. It is one of the highest DPS encounters I can`t imagine running without.

It does multiproc many effects, however only Steal Time's first hit seems to proc the LoL set. For about 2 seconds of channeling, I do not even deal 30k damage with it to a single target (including lol set proc + steal time damage, not enhanced by damage increasing effects) and in my opinion, it is just not worth it. If you're looking to do more CC, Steal time can be a great skill, but the damage aspect of it for a MoF is inferior in my opinion.
  • Options
    According to his tests, it was his number 2 source of DPS behind Lostmauth's set (which accounted for 36% of his damage).

So go figure, right?
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    It was Fanning the Flame, and the rest of the abilities were single target.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    In my AoE setup posted earlier I ran EF (single target) and IT, ST, and FtF (all AoE). If you look closely ST actually crit for like 56k, mostly likely because of the empowerment from arcane mastery stacks.

I sincerely enjoy playing MoF but when you crit over 50% of the time, burst spec like SS is not so much burst as it is constant DPS.

CoI and IT are just too low of DPS (about 3k dps each from my studies). In high DPS groups the MoF will always do terrible damage because mobs do not live long enough for the ticks do damage.

The best it gets from what I've been finding with tests is trying to be single target MoF and get smolder on the biggest guy and then use burst abilities like chill strike and disintergrate further empowered by ray of enfeeblement and stacks of arcane mastery. Since Romotheone posted about using SoD, I've ran tests with CP and SoD and it boosts overall DPS by about 4k dps (sometimes 11k per tick on smolder) . In high DPS groups its not realistic to get smolder on all targets by fully charging scorching burst and then using CoI, IT, and FtF. Mobs are dead by the time you finish one or two rotations. Although when MoF was first introduced this was absolutely the way to go. Not so much anymore.

• Options
    I'm only here because I want to help improve MoF because I like it. It just seems to have a very low ceiling these days.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Maybe I'm wrong. Heres CoI, ST, IT, and FtF on 3 dummies. 80k dps.

Chilling Cloud, Scorching Burst

Conduit of Ice on tab, Steal Time, Icy Terrain, Fanning the Flame

Chilling Presence, Swath of Destruction

90D699B0825D56C7BA8EDDA6EF5357D6F32C5943
  • Options
    Here's Entangling Force, Steal Time, Icy Terrain, and Fanning the Flame on 3 dummies. 88k dps.

Chilling Cloud, Scorching Burst

Entangling Force on tab, Steal Time, Icy Terrain, Fanning the Flame.

Chilling Presence, Swath of Destruction.

FE29D9FC4DB9D94E5A3FCEB31532F2A02D0F1DD2
  • Options
    Both runs were 2 1/2 - 3 minutes. Most mob groups don't last that long tho.
This discussion has been closed.