test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Can someone remind Elminster that Chronomancy is bad?

doriangreighdoriangreigh Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 707 Arc User
edited June 2015 in The Moonstone Mask (PC)
I'm pretty sure I remember that the gods banned time magic and here we have Eliminster using it repeatedly to cover up the total charlie foxtrot adventurers are causing attempting to battle Tiamat.

If you want solid proof of the detrimental effects of Eliminster's use of Chronomancy, just look at all the rewinding, fast forwarding and point to point teleporting that is going on in the world as we try to move from one location to another. Obviously Elminsters has ruptured the space time continuum to such a degree that we only think we are moving from point A to point B when in actuality we never left point A.
Post edited by doriangreigh on

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2015
    tousseau wrote: »
    So... what you are saying is that lag, freezes and rubberbanding is Elminster's fault?

Thought its a good person to blame. Otherwise my thread is all about blaming inadequate servers that can't handles 20 - 30 people in a single instance or a game that has been patched to the point that it has more problems and issues than an alpha level game.

I opted to go with something less often used and theoretically more amusing.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    magenubbie wrote: »
    As long as Mystra grands him the power to turn back time, it will be done. I don't think any other god has either the right or the guts to object.

And time isn't stricktly linear. It's more a ball of timey-wimey.. stuff.

I haven't read any of the latest books, all I know was Mystra died at the hands of Cyric who was aided by Shar and then later returned. I have no read the returned novels but some snynopsis I read states that the newest incarnation of mystra acts as though she is actually all the incarnations fused into one entitity.

In any event if memory serves, the death of the first Mystra due to the mortal Karsus casting a spell that actually turned him into a God causing that Mystra to sacrifice himself to preserve magic and barring mortals from ever casting such potent magic again.

At some point I think during that time chornomancy was lopped into the realm of magic that was no longer accessible. I remember the old second edition games had chornomancy add on books and the forgotten realms I thought I remembered had decided to at least in published FR materials state that chronomancy just flat would not work or Toril.

I know Elminster is always used as an exception but I am pretty even he was forbidden and technically was not supposed to use time magic.

Mystra is NOT the one granting him time magic, its the game developers lol. A mechanic I don't disagree with, what I do disagree with is the lag, rubber banding, and stuttering that my AMD 9370 with 24 GB of 1866 RAM on a SSD drive with read speeds of 550+MB/s using a AMD R9 280 video card at 1Ghz with 3GB of RAM has to suffer through despite having smooth frame rates on OTHER games and Neverwinter isn't even close to be top tier in graphics.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited June 2015
    This is a Zeb thread. Zeb is a chronomancer. :p

Besides it's not bad. Tools are never bad. Only the purpose they are used for.
    However it was taken away from Mystra's Dominion.

But as somebody said, good luck telling Mystra or her chosen what to do. You might as well tell the sun not to rise.
  • Options
    wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    oooh, it is "Butterfly Effect" theory.
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I'm pretty sure I remember that the gods banned time magic...

Yikes, so my Foundry quest "The Black Keep" is frowned upon by the GODZZZ! Who'da thunkit? Maybe I'd better delete that quest, just in case it's not really Eliminster causing it.

[Yes: shameless plug, because FOUNDRY!] :p
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited June 2015
    When Mystryl perished the first time, sacrificing and reincarnating herself to save all of time, Toril, and the Multiverse, she placed new laws upon Magic and Time Travel. A lot of good Time Travel material is located in the Arcane Age boxed set, pre-Third Sundering source material, that allows the Players to travel back to the Arcane Age, thousands of years in the past. As well, there are Dungeon, Dragon Magazine, and even actual Source and Novella material that describes Chronomancy in the Realms and D&D Universe.

Plainly put, there are only a handful of Deities in the Realms with power over Time and Mystra is the most powerful of these. However, I must admit that her control over Time in 5th edition is conjecture at best and even if Mystra did disallow Mortals from such things, such restrictions would not be so adamant with any of her Chosens, especially Elminster. The two beings have a long history of defying one-another and still remaining the closest of allies, and more.
    If they were both human beings in our real world, they'd be the typically portrayed satirical TV Sitcom husband and wife.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited June 2015
    Perhaps people with these issues should invest in a Timey Wimey Detector.

Thank goodness I don't have any problems though. I would not be able to use my chicken if I had to use a Timey Wimey Detector. It would make a horrible mess.
  • Options
    dragoness10dragoness10 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 780 Arc User
    Eleminster isn't the only one that uses Chronomancy! Plenty of chronomancers out there. Besides if you listen to the guy he asks Mystra his girlfreind Godess to grant him the power of it. She seems cool with him using certain spells.

"Now if you go back to yesterday just remember today is tomorrow until it's yesterday again. It's really quite simple. Then again I understand Wild Magic pretty well too." - Di Apzen Xarzith'dos
    " I tried to figure out the enigma that was you, and then I realized mastering Wild Magic was easier." - Old Wizard in Waterdeep

"Why is it dragons only use ketchup? I'd like a little wasabi please. Us silvers like a variety of condiments."

"Don't call them foolish mortals. One, they don't learn from it. Two, It just ticks them off." - An Ancient Red Dragon
  • Options
    LocksheonLocksheon Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    magenubbie wrote: »

And time isn't stricktly linear. It's more a ball of timey-wimey.. stuff.

This made me giggle. My daughter and I are huge Dr. Who fans... although, she's watched the series 5 times over.
    5fI7Kg1.gif