test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ioun Stone or Weapon Enchantment?

soonergmsoonergm Member Posts: 503 Arc User
So I'm trying to decide what the best thing to spend my AD on next. I'm a level 60 HR, with gear score under 12k. What would have the most impact, an Ioun Stone or a weapon enhancement such as Vorpal or possibly Plague Fire? Or should I focus on increasing my enhancement stone levels (like dark, azure etc)? Any suggestions?
My Toons

SoonerGM - HR Trapper
Haven - Righteous Cleric
Ethereal Justice - OP Paladin

Best Answers

• strictlyevilstrictlyevil Member Posts: 338 Arc User
    Answer ✓
    An Ioun stone would have the most impact by far. I recommend to anyone and everyone that an augment companion be your very first big purchase. There isn't much else in the game that can give you what an Ioun stone can. You can easily get 2k+ more stats for your character just by summoning one and throwing some decent gear and enchants in it.
    Ancient 18.8k CW | Ancient Heals 18k DC | Ancient Tank 22.2k GF | GT: XGC Army
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • ogm3rkedogm3rked Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    Answer ✓
    I am a lvl 60 hunter trapper with 16.2k gs. I picked up a stone before my enchantment. Even though they don't give the the gearscore stat, they do give you the physical gearscore in what ever stat your looking to get up. Right now my stone is giving me 1100 power and 950 crit, along with some deflection. If you happen to open a lot of boxes you could buy the stone from the dragon born merchant for 60 scales, that stone gives you 210 gearscore if I remember right. If you don't have that many scales then the stone of radiance off the tth is a good choice because it gives you 3 offensive slots. After you get ine if them id pick up an encheckantmet. I'm running with a perfect vorpal, because of all the crits that I am hitting. I haven't used the plague fire so maybe someone else with experience using that could give you some advice. Goodluck

Answers

• soonergmsoonergm Member Posts: 503 Arc User
    You guys are great! Many thanks.
    My Toons

SoonerGM - HR Trapper
    Haven - Righteous Cleric
  • soonergmsoonergm Member Posts: 503 Arc User
    Is it worth it to open lock boxes? If going for the ioun stone I'd have to open up 30 boxes minimum. At current AD to zen exchange rates I would need 900k-1 mil AD for 30 keys. The other Ioun Stones on the trade house are selling for about 400k-500k, but with lock boxes there is a chance for other items.
    My Toons

SoonerGM - HR Trapper
    Haven - Righteous Cleric
  • strictlyevilstrictlyevil Member Posts: 338 Arc User
    There is a very small chance. It is never "worth" it to open lock boxes. They are just a way for you to gamble a bit of zen if you have some and test your luck. It is not a viable means of obtaining items or profit.

There is just a good a chance of you opening 500 lock boxes and getting nothing as there is of you opening 30 and getting something great.

Buying it directly is always the best bet.
    Ancient 18.8k CW | Ancient Heals 18k DC | Ancient Tank 22.2k GF | GT: XGC Army
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • TomidiusTomidius Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    A weapon enchant (Vorpal is your only choice) (100-135k) as opposed to an Ioun Stone which is most likely 1600 Zen for an Allure which is about 425k-450k currently if you convert AD to Zen. Both are musts.

Stick with Rank 6 enchantments, because they are super cheap.. Upgrade them when you can, or buy 7' when you have spare AD

If your name is Legolas, pay the money to change your name. If all you do is stand back and shoot arrows, pay the 75k to respec your character.
  • masterogamasteroga Member Posts: 474 Arc User
    Tomidius wrote: »
    If your name is Legolas, pay the money to change your name. If all you do is stand back and shoot arrows, pay the 75k to respec your character.

Nice! lol
  • stickboysbstickboysb Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    you can also get in ioun for silver dragon scales. thats the one I ended up going with, but when i put a draconic enchantment onto the ring it has it didn't give it the stats from it like it should have.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited July 2015
    PC experience with these here, but the sentiment is applicable regardless.

I also agree on the Ioun Stone. Get one as soon as you can afford it so it's leveling with you or as you do campaigns and other stuff. As for the enchantments, you can get by with a real cheap lesser weapon and armor enchantments for ever. A few of my characters do not even use either yet and do just fine still. My second main character went from 60-70 not using any weapon or armor enchants due to me having her use all new level 61+ dropped gear on her when M6 was released, so she didn't have slots for them. She did just fine and even after hitting level 70, I forgot for a couple weeks not even noticing she wasn't using her enchants still.

With the Ioun Stones however, you'll start to notice them helping pretty quick, especially when your character is below 60(70).
  • arlequin13arlequin13 Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    Tomidius wrote: »

Haha lol so true, or drizzt do'urden

Get the ioun stone asap and remember to use it to balance out the skills you are missing to better round up your character.