test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

On behalf of the pvp HRs and SWs - The dying breeds.

jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
edited June 2015 in PvP Discussion
Anyone who's mained an HR like me from early on in the games knows, despite the seeming endless qq over dazing, that HRs are damage-wise in a very bad place in mod6. To the point where we're literally dying out in the game. Of all the pvp dom matches I've played during and pre the NCL this mod, the number of HRs and SWs I've seen have been dwindling to the point where I can almost play 4 matches for the dailies and not come across a single example of either, bar myself.

We simply are no longer competitive with our mod5 damage, against mod6 max HP thresholds.

I've zero experience with SWs, but from their scarcity, infer they are in pretty much the same boat. Also I am not ignoring the numerous fixes throughout the recent patches, improving the HR class features and powers, however these measures are only papering over the huge crevasse in the wall which is the base damage of our encounters and at-wills. Beyond a certain level of opponent gear, we simply cannot meaningfully damage them.

I have alts, but my HR has always been my favourite, and it's a shame that I'm considering gutting his gear and transferring all his enchants to my TR, after all the time and effort put in. He does have lvl25 leadership, which is something I suppose. He won't be a total loss.
No idea what my toon is now.
Post edited by jonkoca on

Comments

• Options
    quspivquspiv Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,087 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I wouldn't blame it on the dmg itself, but rather on the play-style of the class and the fact that you need good gear for good results. If you look at the leaderboards you will find there few HR's with great scores.

Imo HR is unpopular because new players have hard time soloing with this new sick diffuclty, so they roll easier classes that allow them to at least do daily quests on their own.
  • Options
    alienwulfalienwulf Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I understand what your saying. I had to strip all my alts to get my SW back to playable. It was hard to decide which would come first the HR or SW. I bought my Founder Pack before the game went live and have seen the game get more broken as time go's on. Very sad to see. It is hard but you will be able over time to re configure your toon's one by one. What use to be which should I play today for enjoyment has turned into a struggle to compete just in PVE forget about ever making it in PVP with a SW or HR.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    quspiv wrote: »
    I wouldn't blame it on the dmg itself, but rather on the play-style of the class and the fact that you need good gear for good results.

Good gear like 3.996k, a trans terror and greater negation perhaps..? That's exactly my point. For any other class, 4k and a good weapon/armor enchant would guarrentee good results. But not for an HR, because however much make-up you put on the pig, however many pretty wigs you give it, the pig remains a pig.

HR damage is utterly underwhelming. Buffing the modifiers applied to that damage after the fact, though welcome, do not make it any less underwhelming. Even a longshot archery feat, piercing-based trapper build does not overly alter the situation.

We just flat out need better damage.
  • Options
    dam182dam182 Member Posts: 40
    edited June 2015
    I feel the same, HR has the most amazing mechanics and was my main since mod 3. We are just laughable right now, no damage, no cc break, no sustain. Trapper has cc but does not have anything else.

Dear devs, I really want to play my Hunter Ranger in season 1, give us tools to compete is mod6. 'Cause having to deal 35 encounters to kill someone a long way from good...
  • Options
    dontlosmedontlosme Member Posts: 0
    edited June 2015
    jonkoca wrote: »
    Good gear like 3.996k, a trans terror and greater negation perhaps..? That's exactly my point. For any other class, 4k and a good weapon/armor enchant would guarrentee good results. But not for an HR, because however much make-up you put on the pig, however many pretty wigs you give it, the pig remains a pig.

HR damage is utterly underwhelming. Buffing the modifiers applied to that damage after the fact, though welcome, do not make it any less underwhelming. Even a longshot archery feat, piercing-based trapper build does not overly alter the situation.

We just flat out need better damage.

I play a 3.8k Trapper HR and I regularly have other players stop to taunt me while I attack doing little damage to them. HR is in pretty sad state compared to other classes right now.
  • Options
    feanor70118feanor70118 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,170 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Yes, it's amusing how other classes find it so awful that HRs can kill them by rooting them and hitting them with literally TWENTY encounter powers, but don't seem to have a problem with how they can kill players with a three or four-encounter rotation plus a daily.

HR damage needs to be buffed about 200%. Not some typical Cryptic band-aid 10% or 20%, but 200%. That's without nerfing trapper feats. Then other classes can stop crying about HRs perma-rooting them because HRs will be able to kill them at the same speed they can kill others.
  • Options
    denvalddenvald Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 702 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I play a SW. And SWs are in bad shape, but for different reasons than HRs. At least they can perma interupt things and their feats and powers work, mines dont

I can actually kill things though. The majority of HRs I met simply don't outdps my lifesteal and borrowed time procs. The only problem is being able to cast, sometimes it can take a long time before I can cast a power, being so slow and all that, I remember that one match i fought this HR I had to try casting killing flames 8 times before being able to cast it, I was literally spamming the KF key waiting for it to have time to cast, and when i was able to cast it, the ranger died, with their broken dodge mechanics how was she supposed to live it trough

Which is pretty sad and says much about their state in game as a whole tbh

I know the bigger majority of good SWs on the server, everytime I met a SW that was not one of them they were free kills, literally dying in 3-4 hits, or so easy to kill I finished the fights will full HP. At least the majority of HR players fare better than that thanks to their interupts
    I am the monk, martial skill transcends the battlefield
    It is my my life style, my doctrine and my state of mind,
    You fight well, but without focus and discipline, you will fall.

More threads by me / Click on it B)
    My Support Warlock/Temptation Thread
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    denvald wrote: »
    I play a SW. And SWs are in bad shape, but for different reasons than HRs. At least they can perma interupt things and their feats and powers work, mine don't

HRs and SWs are both the poor men and women of neverwinter, let's not fall to discusing exactly how little spare change we have in our raggedy pant pockets.

We both need some attention. Thanks for the reply though, I have alts, but I've never played a SW. HR mechanics, apart from a fare few broken or useless encounters and class features and our very erm, so-so dodge, are kinda okay, just the damage is lousy - what's the biggest thing that would help SWs become competetive again..? The real root of your classes' problem..?
  • Options
    osterdracheosterdrache Member Posts: 480 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I am a HR from mod2 and played this class exclusively since then.

We got a nerf/rework/rewind of our class every mod. I play now a different class than in the beginning.
    HR used to be a very fluid in playstyle. Then they went supertanky because of bugs, then they went kinda op because of piercing dmg and lifesteal. But with time, the fluid playstyle disappeared, and the nerf bat / or a complete rework of lietrally everything happened.

The only thing that makes us good now is a bugged power, and the crushing roots feat. Everything else, how top HRs these days survive, is based on general broken stuff: wheel and so on.

Even with the broken mechanics we are underperforming. If they fix the bugs, we are truly gone. I know many high end pvp players who have switched from HR to… surprise… TR or OP. Go figure ;-)
  • Options
    vinceent1vinceent1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,264 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    jonkoca make a poll about this
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    I am a HR from mod2 and played this class exclusively since then.

We got a nerf/rework/rewind of our class every mod. I play now a different class than in the beginning.
    HR used to be a very fluid in playstyle. Then they went supertanky because of bugs, then they went kinda op because of piercing dmg and lifesteal. But with time, the fluid playstyle disappeared, and the nerf bat / or a complete rework of lietrally everything happened.

The only thing that makes us good now is a bugged power, and the crushing roots feat. Everything else, how top HRs these days survive, is based on general broken stuff: wheel and so on.

Even with the broken mechanics we are underperforming. If they fix the bugs, we are truly gone. I know many high end pvp players who have switched from HR to… surprise… TR or OP. Go figure ;-)

exactly, if you see leaderboard high positioned HR you can be sure its because bugs and abusing. no chance legit way
  • Options
    burkaancburkaanc Member Posts: 2,186 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    jonkoca wrote: »
    what's the biggest thing that would help SWs become competetive again..? The real root of your classes' problem..?

i would like to play SW just for pvp, but atm theres the same issues that the class has since mod4 - extremely slow cast speeds and the noskill **** class(aka TR) - with the teribad cast speeds its really hard to cast anything on a tr, and most pvp skills need a target to cast
    Paladin Master Race
  • Options
    schietindebuxschietindebux Member Posts: 4,292 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    exactly, if you see leaderboard high positioned HR you can be sure its because bugs and abusing. no chance legit way

i know there is a legit player that can perform in PVP as a Hunter and I met groups of premades that took two Hunter using their bug to negate two opponents, its like taking them out of the fight, giving your mate the option to kill (DC f.e.)
    but all in all you are right in saying that these classes underperform against all others, especially if high geared they suck in comparison
    I met a 3k++ hunter with my warlock that used every option: wheel, lol set, bug and he really had to work so hard for success, redicules
  • Options
    aroshniaroshni Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Totally agree with you guys, is pretty difficult to find another HR or SW in pvp.
    When I started playing here I chose HR because it was supposed to be a dps ranged, but maybe the dps in this case means dies per seconds :S . I know that when I kill someone pretty easy is because that person must be undergeared compared with me, that's sad, very sad.

Yesterday I was getting Anvil of Doom hits of 37-65k from different GFs...with full tenacity + G.Negation. Something is utterly broken when a class that has a lot of survivability also can do such amount of damage while a paper class don't.
  • Options
    nwoun1nwoun1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Is HR's permastun a bug or a design error?
  • Options
    greenkrickettgreenkrickett Member Posts: 85 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    dam182 wrote: »
    I feel the same, HR has the most amazing mechanics and was my main since mod 3. We are just laughable right now, no damage, no cc break, no sustain. Trapper has cc but does not have anything else.

Dear devs, I really want to play my Hunter Ranger in season 1, give us tools to compete is mod6. 'Cause having to deal 35 encounters to kill someone a long way from good...

While I will agree most HR specs are not doing good the Hunter Trapper build owns people at least in the 1v1. Your snares/stuns can be almost perma and the damage is fine. You are like a few classes and only have 1 viable spec for pvp right now (even if it is broken as heck)
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    i know there is a legit player that can perform in PVP as a Hunter and I met groups of premades that took two Hunter using their bug to negate two opponents, its like taking them out of the fight, giving your mate the option to kill (DC f.e.)
    but all in all you are right in saying that these classes underperform against all others, especially if high geared they suck in comparison
    I met a 3k++ hunter with my warlock that used every option: wheel, lol set, bug and he really had to work so hard for success, redicules

define whats perform? i can somehow perform too at many things at domination, bug definitely its not killing ))
  • Options
    benskix2benskix2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 674 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Is this thread a joke? There's 2-3 trappers in just about every match now, I can't believe you have the nerve to compare your class to the poor SWs.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    benskix2 wrote: »
    Is this thread a joke? There's 2-3 trappers in just about every match now, I can't believe you have the nerve to compare your class to the poor SWs.

true, rangers are not that rare at last days. what is rare is their solid performance and many are still archery
  • Options
    bittynationbittynation Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    So if you've looked at the make up of the top 1000 NCL Leader board, HR and SW are the classes with the smallest numbers HR at 87 and SW at 15 while TR and CW have the most TR 246 and CW 209. I believe that also correlates with which classes are able to dominate in PVP. :-)
    Post edited by bittynation on
  • Options
    > @raistlintao said:
    > benskix2 wrote: »
    >
    > Is this thread a joke? There's 2-3 trappers in just about every match now, I can't believe you have the nerve to compare your class to the poor SWs.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > +1.
    > HR is god on 1v1 now

God against which classes?

TR wins hands down every time
    GWF wins 80% plus of the time
    CW wins 50% of the time
    SW wins 20% of the time
    HR who cares
    GF wins 70% of the time
    DC unkillable, someone comes to help and HR dies
    OP unkillable, someone comes to help and HR dies
  • Options
    MiseryMisery Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Kind of makes me smile when GWFs and HRs put themselves in the same category with SWs :)
    Post edited by Misery on
    3.8k PvP SW.
  • Options
    sophiwarlocksophiwarlock Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    "HR is underpowered" and any comparison to SW is either comedy of absurd or gross attempt to get more buff.

A Best in slot HR can destroy my SW faster and easier than max geared CW, TR, GF, and GWF because it is impossible to counter speed and ranged permaRoot - HR root damage is working, HR overall damage is strong and with lockdown can melt SW as fast as CW but with giving 0 chance to cast even one encounter. HR can permanently root/daze and kill an BiS SW like total easymode in about 5-10seconds. Oghma's is slow and Wheel wind must be cast before the root. As soon as stamina is done your permadisabled and then dead.

I used to be able to counter and escape with Greater or above Elven enchant but now that Trans Elven CC resist was nerfed from 200% to 80% so now so there is no way to break root cycle and survive - 80% is not enough for supersquish SW to survive the root tyranny.

EL53S8n.png
    Youtube Channel PvP and NW brickabrack
  • Options
    ralexinorralexinor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 576 Arc User
    I used to be able to counter and escape with Greater or above Elven enchant but now that Trans Elven CC resist was nerfed from 200% to 80% so now so there is no way to break root cycle and survive - 80% is not enough for supersquish SW to survive the root tyranny.

Elven was not nerfed, that is just a tooltip change so it's easier to understand. It reduces CC by the same amount it did pre-patch.

The reason why you'll be having more trouble with HRs more is because of the previous patch, when they fixed tenacity and HR roots in PvE. CC immunities such as Oghma's Token of Free Movement, SW/GWF Sprint, GF Block, TR ITC etc. used to remove existing root ticks. With the recent patch, this is no longer the case. HR roots will do even more damage to you if you have CC immunity on, and whatever damage was applied before something like ITC, as long as Thorned isn't reapplied, will persist with the same damage for the duration of the application i.e. I apply a 7k bleed tick against a GWF before Unstoppable, the GWF goes Unstoppable, despite the added DR I'll still be doing 7k because it was applied before Unstoppable. However, if I reapply roots during Unstoppable, the added DR will be taken into account. It's a bit of a weird interaction.

Against a HR, unless you know you can one-rotation or kill fast, it's honestly not worth popping Oghma's or Wind - you're better off with more damage or heals.
  • Options
    ZooidinZooidin Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    dam182 wrote: »

While I will agree most HR specs are not doing good the Hunter Trapper build owns people at least in the 1v1. Your snares/stuns can be almost perma and the damage is fine. You are like a few classes and only have 1 viable spec for pvp right now (even if it is broken as heck)

It is an interesting point, overall HR damage is not that high and I think his weapon damage should be increased by 25% for the bow and 50% for the blades (there are melee encounters that hit the dummy for 2k!). The main HR problem is survivability. In pve and in pvp. You just kill yourself by hitting another character with avalanche, Its not funny at all. I always thought that hr should have 1% deflect per point of dex, and TRs 75% deflect severity.

The problem is 1/3 damage and 2/3 survivability.
  • Options
    burkaancburkaanc Member Posts: 2,186 Arc User
    its awesome those crying HRs, when they can keep somebody ccd about 85%+ of the fight, unless its a gwf
    Paladin Master Race
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    > @raistlintao said:
    > benskix2 wrote: »
    >
    > Is this thread a joke? There's 2-3 trappers in just about every match now, I can't believe you have the nerve to compare your class to the poor SWs.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > +1.
    > HR is god on 1v1 now

God against which classes?

TR wins hands down every time
    GWF wins 80% plus of the time
    CW wins 50% of the time
    SW wins 20% of the time
    HR who cares
    GF wins 70% of the time
    DC unkillable, someone comes to help and HR dies
    OP unkillable, someone comes to help and HR dies

Like I said, 1 V 1

How to kill a HR, with no encounter at all?

The perm root/disrupt even can break Impossible to catch, and catch you when you dodge.

Good game design

Good game design? As a TR you are complaining? Being PVP king isn't good enough? Perma Stealth, high CC, high damage, high deflect, extremely fast... TRs are the undisputed kings of PVP and you are complaining about good game design? LMFAO, there are much more pressing issues with the TR. As a side note TR numbers increased in the last NCL top 1000 to 253. I should have mained a TR. They can do a whole lot more with a whole lot less GS than a HR. If it wasn't for cc TRs would never die along with DCs and OPs.

Oh and by the way HR root or daze doesn't disrupt ITC it's HRs disruptive shot.