test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Should i respec my HR from Archery to Trapper?

tellistorterratellistorterra Member Posts: 198 Arc User
edited June 2015 in The Wilds
Hello. it has come to my attention that i have enough AD to convert into Zen to respec my HR.... should i want to.
I want to ask this of all the Xbox/PC HRs their opinions and why i should/shouldn't respec.
I'm on the fence about it. while i prefer the range, i do suffer if i accidentally get too much aggro from adds. and in a previous dungeon i did some time ago, a Trapper HR tanked mobs and did a ton of damage back. it was truly awe inspiring.

Keep in mind, i have PvE in mind and no PvP (pvp in neverwinter is not my thing. not on xbox. not on pc..)

of course, i could always do the other option and save my AD for other things (not sure which first though lol)
Post edited by tellistorterra on

Comments

• theungodlytheungodly Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Why not try? If you change your mind, by then you might have earned some more Zen to change back if you dont' like it :).

I'm going to respec from Archery soon. I've always played like a trapper anyways, so... why not be more efficient.
    HR - "The Ungodly"
    DC - "The Unholy"
    Guild: Ruthless
  • kestrelhawkerkestrelhawker Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Do it .... Trust, and use the right skills when you do .. been scratching my head wondering why it wasnt working for me . read it again and changed my encounters up ... night and day different
  • mmmsquirtmmmsquirt Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Trapper indefinitely. I can easily out-DPS people with 3k+ more GS than me. Trapper is very versatile and well equipped for anything. PM me
    edited May 2015
    Its also a lot of fun , instead of standing by healers and casters you are constantly moving , jumping in and out of fights .. Take a few shots with your encounters , change stances bounce into a fight , do your encounters take a few swings , bounce back out rinse and repeat . There are moments where you are hanging back , Dragons , the giant brain boss ( this one because the healer is hanging so far back that he needs some one to peel for them . )
  • katozeekatozee Member Posts: 42
    edited May 2015
    Which of the following scenarios would you like to be:

Castle Never - First gel cube fight, the gate to the left opens up and you see lots of mobs advancing towards the party. Do you:

A) Sit back taking pot shots at the cube and adds that has swarmed the party and hope to not get overrun.
    T) Tell party "I got this", leave party to fight cube whilst you charge straight into the 20+ mobs down the stairs and wipe them out in time to go back up the stairs to help the party kill the cube

Pirate King Farming - spawn in assist with first room then party peels off to the right. Do you:

A) Follow them and hope nothing aggros you otherwise you will start kiting mobs everywhere.
    T) Head left, take out the mobs in that room pull the lever then start working on the mobs in the next room whilst your party is still in the other room.

Ultimately here is your decision. Do you:

A) Want to be a person that needs 4 other people to keep you safe at all times so that you can attack targets, needing a healer to save you and a tank to keep those nasty mobs away.

T) Be a person that having 4 other people is a nice thing, heals are appreciated but roots will provide a higher HoT than any healer and roots again will keep mobs in place whilst you kill them (or leave them to the mercy of the roots that will kill them).

Its all preference really, if you want to stick as archery don't view it as a dps build, more of a party support buffer. Comanding Shot + Hawk Shot + Binding Arrow will give you 3x melee buff encounters that will be far more helpful for the team.

I don't tend to visit these forums often as I didn't see the point in two trappers posting their guides in same social space, both j0kerspsycho and myself of guides on here, with his being more geared towards PvP ( I don't enjoy the sport ). I tend to post on Reddit so as to spread the word out more. Point being if you do go trapper, there are guides availible that have been heavily refined for either PvP or PvE that you can work from.
  • msbegotngirlmsbegotngirl Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I was running an archery/melee build (I didn't max out either feat tree but picked a chose from both). It worked really good solo. My feats and powers were geared toward keeping me safe, and killing the baddies. I even had healing roots. This worked well in some group instances as well, plus I could extend some perks and some healing to my teammates.

But for epic dungeons, it was not going so well. The mobs were too big and too strong. So I refeated for Trapper and equipped powers suggested by Katozee. Not, I haven't got to run an Epic dungeon yet (waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa), but I am taking MASSIVELY less amounts of damage. Even though my build before was similar in that I wasn't just standing there shooting arrows, I still wasn't moving around as much, and would get hit.

Trapper is faster. I can take out a small mob of cultists in a flash. I run through dailies like I eat through cake (yessssss cake).

I miss rain of arrows for single bosses. But I suppose you can always slot that for those times if you wanted, but it probably won't be as strong since you aren't really rocking any archery perks to up the damage.

However. I have heard tell of magical arrow raining badasses, you know some sort of witchery where they can slaughter the many without changing stances. But I like changing stances. I chose HR for duel wielding after all.
  • gotmtdewgotmtdew Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Could you tell me where the best place to find the guides is? I try Google but mostly always end up finding stuff about the pc version. I understand that has more to it than the xbox one version. I had set up my hunter as archery and melee but can't get through a lot of the campaign with out asking forchelp. If a new set up would work "trapper" I'm game to get the ad to do it only need about 40k more. I am,not into the skimishs and dungeons right now too afraid to get kicked as of the setup I have now.

katozee wrote: »
    Which of the following scenarios would you like to be:

Castle Never - First gel cube fight, the gate to the left opens up and you see lots of mobs advancing towards the party. Do you:

A) Sit back taking pot shots at the cube and adds that has swarmed the party and hope to not get overrun.
    T) Tell party "I got this", leave party to fight cube whilst you charge straight into the 20+ mobs down the stairs and wipe them out in time to go back up the stairs to help the party kill the cube

Pirate King Farming - spawn in assist with first room then party peels off to the right. Do you:

A) Follow them and hope nothing aggros you otherwise you will start kiting mobs everywhere.
    T) Head left, take out the mobs in that room pull the lever then start working on the mobs in the next room whilst your party is still in the other room.

Ultimately here is your decision. Do you:

A) Want to be a person that needs 4 other people to keep you safe at all times so that you can attack targets, needing a healer to save you and a tank to keep those nasty mobs away.

T) Be a person that having 4 other people is a nice thing, heals are appreciated but roots will provide a higher HoT than any healer and roots again will keep mobs in place whilst you kill them (or leave them to the mercy of the roots that will kill them).

Its all preference really, if you want to stick as archery don't view it as a dps build, more of a party support buffer. Comanding Shot + Hawk Shot + Binding Arrow will give you 3x melee buff encounters that will be far more helpful for the team.

I don't tend to visit these forums often as I didn't see the point in two trappers posting their guides in same social space, both j0kerspsycho and myself of guides on here, with his being more geared towards PvP ( I don't enjoy the sport ). I tend to post on Reddit so as to spread the word out more. Point being if you do go trapper, there are guides availible that have been heavily refined for either PvP or PvE that you can work from.
  • katozeekatozee Member Posts: 42
    edited May 2015
    gotmtdew wrote: »
    Could you tell me where the best place to find the guides is? I try Google but mostly always end up finding stuff about the pc version. I understand that has more to it than the xbox one version. I had set up my hunter as archery and melee but can't get through a lot of the campaign with out asking forchelp. If a new set up would work "trapper" I'm game to get the ad to do it only need about 40k more. I am,not into the skimishs and dungeons right now too afraid to get kicked as of the setup I have now.

Well the forums you are in now have two guides designed around the xbox one is called:

Drisdhaun AoE PvE Build - Which is mine but I've since updated and refined and moved it to MMOMinds to avoid hitting character caps

The other is:

PVP/PVE Hunter Ranger build - Written by j0kerspsycho, who from my humble opinion focusses more on the PvP side, which is a good thing for the PvP chaps out there.

Either way here is the MMOMinds link to my guide: http://mmominds.com/2015/05/23/katozees-hunter-rooter/
  • mylyf2mylyf2 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I must say, after reading both katozee and j0kerspsycho writeups on the Trapper Hunter i decided to respec from Archery to Trapper.
    I found the true meaning of Happiness in the game. I am not just hanging back and poking the mobs, i am engaged and kicking ***.

I am just minted level 60 so gear and enchants are not to their fullest, but i have a 10650 GS and have gone from finishing 4th or 5th in damage to leading the charts(doing 2x the next closest) as well as most kills. I have found that I am truly controlling the mobs, instead of a support role only.

I do not worry about adds anymore. as with the Trapper spec, we do have the ability to tank
    (in a rooted way :-) )

i assure you, that if you respec , you will not be disappointed.
    edited May 2015
    Thanks for the info both of you. I try to play both melee and archery but if trapper is better I will have to find a better way to make ad since don't have enough now to do so and don't have the cash can't work at least 3 months due to chemo. Sucks but it's life. Anyways I enjoy the game I just don't want to be kicked from dungeons and what not with my current set up.
    mylyf2 wrote: »
    I must say, after reading both katozee and j0kerspsycho writeups on the Trapper Hunter i decided to respec from Archery to Trapper.
    I found the true meaning of Happiness in the game. I am not just hanging back and poking the mobs, i am engaged and kicking ***.

I am just minted level 60 so gear and enchants are not to their fullest, but i have a 10650 GS and have gone from finishing 4th or 5th in damage to leading the charts(doing 2x the next closest) as well as most kills. I have found that I am truly controlling the mobs, instead of a support role only.

I do not worry about adds anymore. as with the Trapper spec, we do have the ability to tank
    (in a rooted way :-) )

i assure you, that if you respec , you will not be disappointed.
  • j0kerspsychoj0kerspsycho Member Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Thanks for the info both of you. I try to play both melee and archery but if trapper is better I will have to find a better way to make ad since don't have enough now to do so and don't have the cash can't work at least 3 months due to chemo. Sucks but it's life. Anyways I enjoy the game I just don't want to be kicked from dungeons and what not with my current set up.

Glad the guides could help you some mate. Imo Archery is the best tree, others are viable yes, but trapper is the way to go for sure, i dont think you would regret it! And good luck with the chemo, my grandmother had breast cancer and it can be difficult but hang in there mate!

You will still be kicked, people have their ideas of what they want, just gotta find a group that u can run with constantly.

GL and Happy Hunting!
    Step into the madhouse
    Aldren Boweing - 60 HR
    edited May 2015
    Tomorrow last day of week 2 have 2 more treatment weeks to go with 2 resting weeks in between. I will see if I can round up enough diamonds to do it. I have been trying to work in the campaign mode though just opened the artifact one but need to get the materials to do it. I just picked up the closing the portal will try that later tonight seems to hoe fully give one of the items I need for it. We shall see..

Glad the guides could help you some mate. Imo Archery is the best tree, others are viable yes, but trapper is the way to go for sure, i dont think you would regret it! And good luck with the chemo, my grandmother had breast cancer and it can be difficult but hang in there mate!

You will still be kicked, people have their ideas of what they want, just gotta find a group that u can run with constantly.

GL and Happy Hunting!
    edited June 2015
    I got all happy that I sold enough on the ah to redo my feats and boons I forgot I need to redo my powers also. I don't have the money to pay to do so so what would be the best option? I currently have it setup as ranged/melee but since everyone is saying go trapper I wanted to do so. I usually get on late at night for a few hours but am also in the process of working on the campaign when I get some help with certain parts. Any suggestions would be helpful I have not done the skim or dung because I didn't want to get kicked right away. I'd rather be set to at least show a little of what I can do before a group kicks me. I appriciate all the assistance that I have gotten so far in game from everyone out there that has helped. My gt is Gotmtdew as I said though usually play at night or very earlier cause kids are sleeping and with the chemo treatment I need to sleep here and there.
    Tomorrow last day of week 2 have 2 more treatment weeks to go with 2 resting weeks in between. I will see if I can round up enough diamonds to do it. I have been trying to work in the campaign mode though just opened the artifact one but need to get the materials to do it. I just picked up the closing the portal will try that later tonight seems to hoe fully give one of the items I need for it. We shall see..
    edited June 2015
    500 zen to Respec Powers, Feats, boons and Stats
    edited June 2015
    I understand that it's only 500 zen but I have not worked and can not work for a couple more months so I can not make any purchases in game at this time. I was hoping to get enough ad to exchange for zen but since I don't do the skim or dung and I don't make enough on ah with the items I find through the game guess I won't be doing the powers just yet.
  • waffennachtwaffennacht Member Posts: 149 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2015
    I personally really like fox shift then that 3 charge attack and then the one that is either a aoe sword sing or the trap shot. I hardly ever use at wills and like thunder clap for big attack.
    As for the dungeons. You can expect a kick, but less so in tier one dungeons. Also if ur the only ranger ur prob gonna stay as ur not a loot threat, with more good trappers comin hrs get kicked less
  • tellistorterratellistorterra Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Ok, i'll make the choice to respec :/

although i want to clarify a misconception, as an archery HR, i very rarely ever went to bottom 2 with most damage. usually 2-3 place
    Rapid Shot, Split Shot, Rain of Arrows are my BnB

but i noticed that i switch to melee for the damage buff enough to make me question if i should respec anyway. since trappers switch ever few seconds anyway. i'll look at guides now so i know what to spec when i do. might keep my current gear set
    edited June 2015
    tumblr_npla3rzMfh1tp7x2ao1_1280.png

Did Icespire's Frozen Heart just now. resulting damage. not once was i downed, and only a couple times did i lose enough health to use a potion. i think i can accept this change
  • pazarkpazark Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I recently respec'd to Trapper after soloing to 60 as an Archer. Having a blast now and feel that I'm making a difference! I'm not afraid anymore... LOL! Only thing I'm missing is the massive damage on dragons and such, but having more fun now. So, imo, respec to Trapper.
  • pazarkpazark Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I recently respec'd to Trapper after soloing to 60 as an Archer. Having a blast now and feel that I'm making a difference! I'm not afraid anymore... LOL! Only thing I'm missing is the massive damage on dragons and such, but having more fun now. So, imo, respec to Trapper.
    edited June 2015
    pazark wrote: »

not to sound mean, but if you saw my comment prior to your's you would see i did respec. and i feel the same way. before we were super duper cautious. now we feel like we can take on an army lol
  • guarana76guarana76 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    I did respec as well, after reading this post.
    All I have to say is thank you guys.
    Like other comments above I was an archer up to 60, praying for adds simply ignore me, mainly during the boss fights (just hate those trolls from frozen heart end).

Now I really feel empowered now. I can move ahead of group during epics, do most of well of dragons on my own and fight against garakas without dying with a single random shot.

I still make a lot of mistakes during the rotation and find myself with larger cooldowns than expected, or clumsy dying for golens due to wrong movements, but it´s fine. Now i have to practice and adjust char stats to really improve my dps and results.

And yes, watching those cultist soldiers dying from roots of one single shot is just great!
  • zenghenzenghen Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    Honestly, I was an original Archery build until I read this post. Then I tried the trapper tree and had so much fun, I made another hunter trapper with a slight variation. Haven't regretted it since.
    yup. before we were wary of each encounter. now we feel like we can take on an army
  • b1gb0yk1ll3rb1gb0yk1ll3r Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited September 2015

tumblr_npla3rzMfh1tp7x2ao1_1280.png

Did Icespire's Frozen Heart just now. resulting damage. not once was i downed, and only a couple times did i lose enough health to use a potion. i think i can accept this change

I know the felling on this one... but i went down 5 times but i was the only one over 9K GS(15,850) in that run

Post edited by b1gb0yk1ll3r on
  • b1gb0yk1ll3rb1gb0yk1ll3r Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    sorry pics not there here it is

• sable#8957 sable Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    gotmtdew said:

I understand that it's only 500 zen but I have not worked and can not work for a couple more months so I can not make any purchases in game at this time. I was hoping to get enough ad to exchange for zen but since I don't do the skim or dung and I don't make enough on ah with the items I find through the game guess I won't be doing the powers just yet.

Run the dungeons and skirmishes anyway. I'm a mediocre player at best, and have never been kicked from a Tier 1. The only times I have seen votes to kick are on disconnected players when we really need to get a replacement because of multiple wipes (looking at you Aberrant Assault). For Tier 1 instances, I think most people are more concerned about just having another body in the party to burn through it faster than having the perfect team, since looking to fill that slot would likely take longer than just going with the party the system pulls up.