test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How to know your party is going to wipe; a quick guide.

query523query523 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
edited May 2015 in PvE Discussion
Greetings adventurer. Have you found yourself once again standing forlorn at the gates of a boss fight wondering where it all went long and crying over you diminishing supply of injury kits? This is a quick guide to help you see the utter failure that will occur before you reach that sorry state. There are clear warning signs that the party you have joined is going to fail miserably before you waste your time actually attempting the content.

1. Everyone is arguing. There is a saying, "Fix the problem not the blame." If the first time something goes wrong party members begin arguing over who should have done what it is a clear sign that you are with people who cannot work together. This is a definite sign of a wasted attempt.

2. Nobody is talking. Admittedly this can be a very good sign. You may have run into a group of friends who do this together and know what their plan is so do not need to discuss it. If nobody is talking and the run is going smoothely then congadulations! You have picked a winner. If however when there are problems nobody says anything and they continue to charge blindly at the mobs without trying to work out a plan you are on the fast train to failure.

3. You are the only person rezzing others. There is some serious spike damage in T2. Folks will occasionally die. If nobody is ressurecting them your chances of failure increase exponentially.

4. Everyone is trying to rez. If someone goes down and two people try to pick them up you are doubling the ammount of aggro/ CC/ and AOE directed at all three of them. This failure is avoidable if you express this problem, your party understands and aggrees.

5. The party wants a very specific composition. Mod6 content takes a certain modicum of skill to navigate. People who do not realize this over-focus on composition. Maybe they had several successfull runs with 2CWs so they always want to run with 2. Completely unaware that the reason it worked before was because they had 2 very skilled CWs. When encountering a group looking spoecifically for your class and possibly feat tree and enchntment type beware! Odds are extremely high that they have no idea what they are doing and will be relying on you to carry them.

6. Excessive vote-kicking. Much like the specific composition party this is a bad sign. Basically it shows that there are a signifigant number of people who want to roll the dice and see if they get lucky and find someone who can carry them. Likely they do not realize that the problem is that they themselves are in over their head.

7. You know no one in the party. Now I am not saying that a random PuG can't be fun or won't succeed. I met some fine individuals that way. But if you are in a party with someone you know and have worked with previously that means 40% of the organizing and planning is already taken care of. Who know you may end up being the 'magic classes' that someone later includes in their very specific party composition....
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• alisi1alisi1 Member Posts: 366 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Couldn't agree more with 5 and 6. I don't usually talk much because I'm a slow typer and by the time I'm done it's "where did everyone go? "
  • sentineltitaniasentineltitania Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I've been having trouble completing Dungeons and earing AD because of groups like these.

Maybe I should seek a guild...
  • query523query523 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Well that's why I made the guide. So when you see this sort of thing you'll know that it is going to be a wasted effort and a frustrating experience. So when it starts just say, "Hey I'll leave so maybe you can get a (whatever class they think is magic) or whatever. I mean if they are looking for someone to blame take the balme, leave, and go find a good party.
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I disagree with 5, someone who knows what they doing when forming a group will look for specific group synergies. For example, if you going into ToS you ideally want 1 strong single target damage dealer for last boss then 2 damage dealer/controllers for the adds that come with the boss. A good group composition for example would be 1 gwf, 1 CW and 1 HR when it comes to choosing dps, or 2 CW and 1 Tr, however the first choice is better because when you have a hr in the group, you can all get the benefit of fox. I would reword 5 to state: Focusing too much on party composition without any justification as to why they want said classes, other then the fact that they have succeeded with those classes before. For instance, to legitimately beat eCC you will definately need a party composition that is tailored to beat the final boss, with a lot of thought going into what classes are necessary. The same was true of mod 0 epic dv.
    edited May 2015
    I disagree with 5, someone who knows what they doing when forming a group will look for specific group synergies. For example, if you going into ToS you ideally want 1 strong single target damage dealer for last boss then 2 damage dealer/controllers for the adds that come with the boss. A good group composition for example would be 1 gwf, 1 CW and 1 HR when it comes to choosing dps, or 2 CW and 1 Tr, however the first choice is better because when you have a hr in the group, you can all get the benefit of fox. I would reword 5 to state: Focusing too much on party composition without any justification as to why they want said classes, other then the fact that they have succeeded with those classes before. For instance, to legitimately beat eCC you will definately need a party composition that is tailored to beat the final boss, with a lot of thought going into what classes are necessary. The same was true of mod 0 epic dv.

Well that is what I meant by very specific composition. I generally go fo the same thing in ToS. 2 AOE CC (HR or CW) 1 single target (GWF/ TR) tank and heals. But when someone says they want, and you will see this. "2CWs 1 GWF 1 DC and one OP" you are dealing with people who do not understand the content or roles and believe that this magical formula will somehow win. I've also run it with groups fairly divergent from that model. Takes more planning but is doable. Having roles and a plan is not, to me, an overly specific composition. Just planning and understanding the content. But when people look for highly specific composition your likelyhood of a fail is higher because they don't know WHY those classes work and what other classes can form the same synergy.
    edited May 2015
    query523 wrote: »
    Well that is what I meant by very specific composition. I generally go fo the same thing in ToS. 2 AOE CC (HR or CW) 1 single target (GWF/ TR) tank and heals. But when someone says they want, and you will see this. "2CWs 1 GWF 1 DC and one OP" you are dealing with people who do not understand the content or roles and believe that this magical formula will somehow win. I've also run it with groups fairly divergent from that model. Takes more planning but is doable. Having roles and a plan is not, to me, an overly specific composition. Just planning and understanding the content. But when people look for highly specific composition your likelyhood of a fail is higher because they don't know WHY those classes work and what other classes can form the same synergy.

I feel that to legitimately beat eCC with an undergeared party you will require a very specific party comp, with specific classes instead of just 2 controllers and 1 single target. Similar to how, in mod 0, the party comp for beating edv was 2x cleric, 2x tr and 1x CW.
    edited May 2015
    I feel that beating eCC will be done by experienced parties that have spent a lot of time working together and likely already know when a party is set to fail and, as such, do not need a guide as to how to detect a bad party before it becomes obvious....
    edited May 2015
    I feel that beating eCC will be done by experienced parties that have spent a lot of time working together and likely already know when a party is set to fail and, as such, do not need a guide as to how to detect a bad party before it becomes obvious....

I can agree with this, as I did not need this guide beforehand myself and I intend to hoist a flag of traven blackdagger's corpse.
    edited May 2015
    I rather intend to do the same.
  • suicidalgodotsuicidalgodot Member Posts: 2,465 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Nice and concise, well written, and outlining the fallacies parties can fall for...

Details are IMHO a matter of taste. The guide - or I'd rather call it a checklist - is definitely useful. I'd add in "overdragging / overaggroing". Yes, it can take longer to kill the mobs one lump at a time. But waiting for the tank to come back from the campfire excursion after each clash takes even longer... ...and some people seem to have problems with the concept of "adaptability".

GJ, query523
  • mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The perfect pt include THE SW inside.I am control wizard and i am very happy when i control adds and i see that big black curse (tyranical threat) wipe them all.OFCourse need to be very good sw to do that is the hardest class to play.THE sw fury hellbringer i teamup is always paingiver( that should be is primary striker) and he use new sets(Not FABLED ILLUABRUEN) and vorpal and has a 15k power.
  • mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I WILL give a tip for gf if dont have stamina and have and a skull and at the same time get large damage from his pt for any reason.
    1.CLOSE valor 2.fighters recovery do an encounter to get life whatever.3.back to valor..SO let your member die instead you if you wipe all will wipe.( in a hard fight like t2).
  • phoenix1021phoenix1021 Member Posts: 532 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    You know you are going to wipe if people run into the next encounter with ressurection penalty and don't use an altar. You have to realize that you instantly die without chane to be ressed if you do that.
  • alexgabriel23alexgabriel23 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 276
    edited May 2015
    there is a even easier to notice : if u wipe on trash mob more then 4 times is a problem and check if the DC is using astral shield is a must have if they dont and dont wanna use it leave the party cuz is 1000% needed
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    You may add: clerics using chains of blazing light. That's going to be a wipe. That guy belives he's ignoring his party's needs to focus on solo gameplay.
  • instynctiveinstynctive Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,885 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    1) I'm in the party.

That pretty much sums it up. :-)
    header.png
    "...I grab my wiener and charge!" - ironzerg79
  • adisonmakadisonmak Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    there is a even easier to notice : if u wipe on trash mob more then 4 times is a problem and check if the DC is using astral shield is a must have if they dont and dont wanna use it leave the party cuz is 1000% needed
    also,
    - dpsing outside the shield and not within or circling within it while dpsing.
    - misplaced astral shield on ridiculous location such as... half of the shield within the wall.
    edited May 2015
    adisonmak wrote: »
    - misplaced astral shield on ridiculous location such as... half of the shield within the wall.

I didn't know such things were possible. :eek:
    edited May 2015
    also,
    - dpsing outside the shield and not within or circling within it while dpsing.

There is an inverse to that problem. I've seen a couple of times AS dropped well behind the melle on top of the ranged DPS. Meaning the tank has to draw aggro (and AOEs) on top of the party instead of away from it. But I think most of the specific cases I am seeing in the thread fall unser "Not communicating with the party" and/ or "fixing the blame and not the problem"
  • clericalistclericalist Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Another sign of a party wipe is when people do not wait, I have seen it so many times where somebody rushes solo into a mob instead of waiting for the rest. What happens then is usually a collapse as somebody is trying to resurrect them and others are thinking if they should flee or fight. When some people do this make it very clear that they are to blame for party wipes and that their attempts to rush the mobs are in fact making the dungeon run slower.

Regarding resurrecting others, I always have the lathandar artifact equipped for use. The clerics are a good class to use this as they should have a generally good overview of the battle and likewise as you can get them to full health as well with your encounters as they resurrect. Also the lathandar while save you vital seconds that the other resurrection does not give you and it will also partially solve the problem of too many people trying to ressurect. Also regarding who is being resurrected, this might sound a bit stupid, but if your tank is the one dying the most that is a sign that they are doing a good(ish) job if you are resurrecting dps classes then its a sign of many more wipes to come.
    edited May 2015
    diogene0 wrote: »
    I didn't know such things were possible. :eek:
    it usually happened when the tank was tanking at corner/near the wall. I'm also happens to be one of those type of DC that does that occasionally... ... ... ... don't look at me like that, i swear to lord neverember i didn't do that on purpose!

403.gif... ... i need higher cam angle for better terrain viewing.

There is an inverse to that problem. I've seen a couple of times AS dropped well behind the melle on top of the ranged DPS. Meaning the tank has to draw aggro (and AOEs) on top of the party instead of away from it.
    unless the range DPS is in full health, i'm guessing that is a mistake placed specially when Bastion of Health indicator is the same size as Astral Shield. So, when the DPS was on low HP, instead of BoH them, the DC accidentally AS on them. Been to this path... Lesson learned during early days and place both of them 1 slot apart from each other ever since. xDDD
    edited May 2015
    Ok never sure why it happened just saw it a couple of times. If tank is doing their job nobody should be targeting the range anyway (except when tank is on boss detail then adds need someone else to cover it).
    edited May 2015
    i need higher cam angle for better terrain viewing.

/gfxsetdefaultfov 80

(in your chat window).
  • asterotgasterotg Member Posts: 1,742 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    You may add: clerics using chains of blazing light. That's going to be a wipe. That guy belives he's ignoring his party's needs to focus on solo gameplay.

Really? We run premade. If playing DC, I use chains to place PF and feat debuffs on the trash. Astral shield is just needed in T2 without 2 CC classes or bossfights, at last in the groups I run with.

In PuG runs, IF I qued with my DC (did not do it in Mod 6), I asked the group, if They prefer a buff/debuff or a heal/ AS setup.
    Chars: CW, DC, GF, GWF, HR and TR.
  • nazghul22nazghul22 Member Posts: 407 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    1. Everyone is arguing.
    2. Nobody is talking.
    3. You are the only person rezzing others.
    4. Everyone is trying to rez.
    6. Excessive vote-kicking.

All this can be noticed only after a while, say after the first wipe on a boss. At this stage it's already too late, your time is wasted no matter what. Could you instead give some immediate hints, like "there is a GWF in the DP" or "someone has the latest companion of the cash shop"
    ToD = ..........
    Tired of Dailies/Tyranny of Dailies/Timers of Doom/Tricked Or Duped/Tremendously Obnoxious Dailies/Try Otherwise, Devs
    edited May 2015
    asterotg wrote: »
    Really? We run premade. If playing DC, I use chains to place PF and feat debuffs on the trash. Astral shield is just needed in T2 without 2 CC classes or bossfights, at last in the groups I run with.

In PuG runs, IF I qued with my DC (did not do it in Mod 6), I asked the group, if They prefer a buff/debuff or a heal/ AS setup.

I have met such clerics in pugs and it means i have to dodge everything, which is a significant loss of damage. It's just better when a DC casts empowered shield in T1s, dps can facetank almost everything and stuff dies faster when you're not dodging for your life while the DC is having fun using chains or whatever.

I play a DC and a CW, it helps improving my game style when I notice something annoying when playind dps or when I'm healing others. And the lack of damage mitigation and heals means that half of the times i'm cancelling steal time because i'm taking too much damage.
    edited May 2015
    /gfxsetdefaultfov 80
    (in your chat window).
    fov.jpg
    edited May 2015
    An awful lot of this can be settled by #2 or #7 (my fov is around 90 otherwise cannot always see spawns) the TL;DR is communicate, have a plan, when a plan fails figure out why and make a new plan. I tutor chess part-time and the most difficult thing to impress on students is that they need to notate and record games. Everyone makes mistakes. What makes you better is recording and notating your mistakes and learning how to not repeat them. On that. Fabricant, you need to check your mesages. Still want to plunder that booty....