test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Help with a Mod6 GF build

nimajnnebnimajnneb Member Posts: 3 Arc User
edited May 2015 in The Guard Barracks
I want to create a GF that's pretty much full tank and a buffer, sacrificing as much of his damage as possible for defense and increasing his parties defense and damage, as well as debuffing the enemy. However, I've been away from the game a long time and either I'm not looking hard enough or there just aren't many guides for a GF of this particular build. I was hoping someone would be able to give me a hand with creating this build.
Post edited by nimajnneb on

Comments

• Options
    rawlor9krawlor9k Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I've been thinking about posting a build... what I have works fairly well but it is very dependent upon how you play it. I think any builds will be at the moment. Though I have become much more geared so that will skew things a bit. But as it's terrible to have no where to start from to even think about things, I'll post a basic version of it here since there's so little about Mod 6 GF's around.

Basically: Swordmaster. Slot Steel Defence & Fighter's Recovery. Turtle up. Go slow.

Feats: http://nwcalc.com/index.html#/gf?b=1oa5:k6rwk5:8dep:5tb7d,1vix003:1u00000:15u5zu1:1u00000&h=0&p=smr (click on "Feats")
    If you have sufficient guard gain, replace Unshakable Line with Daunting Challenge to help out your group.

At-wills: Cleave or CS or WMS -and- Tide of Iron (almost always)
    Encounters: Lunge, Enforced Threat, Into the Fray
    I typically slot Enhanced Mark along with Steel Defence.

Why:

To survive. Steel Defence while slotted grants seconds of Immunity after using a daily. Your Fighter's Recovery (daily) can replenish your HP back to full after a few hits on a mob. These together are a powerful combo/life-line to keep you alive while your healer dodges Red on the ground and mobs running towards them that the CW's tend to ignore (to their own detriment).

"Action Surge" & "Improved Vigor" provide you means of getting that precious AP back so you can use your daily again. But you need to be guarding for this to work. Action Surge gives you nice AP when you guard. Improved Vigor gives you a boost when you need it most- when health is dropping.

Brawling Warrior to help with aggro. This is strictly for Enforced Threat. KV is a death sentence for now so don't bother with it (this will change with a well geared and well played group).

In The Fray for 2 reasons: Group BIG damage buff as well increased AP gain- and remember, AP keeps you alive with your daily! I'll typically try to ITF first before grabbing aggro, then again when possible.

Eventually you can maybe drop Unshakable Line (with enough Guard gain) & Improved Vigor (with enough AP gain) and put those into the Tact line: Daunting Challenge followed by United to help your group survive more. Though honestly most of the times people die it's because they themselves are being reckless and standing in the wrong place, or not doing their job and taking care of the adds (ranged mobs are brutal when left alone).

Learn how to read mobs. Pull them (tab or lunge) and put your shield up. Wait until they hit you and THEN use your encounter powers- ET for aggro/mark & ITF. Then shield up again. Mange your stamina/guard well. Stay alive. Aggro other mobs as you can- while staying alive. You can't tank if you're dead.

As far as gear goes, get your blue T1 gear ASAP. Without high HP you won't live- period. Focus only on pieces with deflect. Followed by Recovery then Crit. You'll usually get enough defence passively off various gear. Use Radiants for HP instead of Azure's in your Defence slots. Again- high HP is vital. Use Silvery's for Recovery (or eventually, Azure's for Crit) in your offence slots.

There's more but that's enough to get someone started if they'd want to go this route. As I said- it works for me. I'm sure there are better ways of doing things but /shrug. Keep your shield up and good luck!
  • Options
    dfncedfnce Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Start with SM Tactician.

http://nwcalc.com/index.html#/gf?b=1oa5:k6rwk5:8dep:5tb7d,1xir005:1000000:1z05000:1uu5u51&h=1&p=ivn

You can select between Armor Of Bahamut (10% damage reduction with <30% HP) with Shield Defence (2.5% DR), and Surging Tide (10% debuff with Tide, facetanking) with Inspiring Leader (5% damage to party with ITF, full buff choice).

I use AP gain cloak, even level 60 is better than any regular T1.5. Such cloak and Sigil of Devoted artefact is part of my build.

My artefact class bonuses on mainhand/offhand: bonus to Steel Defence, stamina gain from Tide of Iron and bonus to AP gain.
    My preference for companions: Rust Monster, Angel of Protection, Leprechaun, Honey Badger, Pig.

Rust Monster is valid if you like face-tanking and do counter-attacks (for example, chain Crescendo/Knee Breaker/Flourish) while Steel Defence active.
    EX-DL-BtS / ITF-KC-KB / BF-HD-IBS / FtF-IT-ST-Dis / CA-GW-PG
    "When no appropriate rule applies, make one up."
    — (The unwritten rule)