Item level score and its flaws

2»

Comments

• Options
    krailovkrailov Member Posts: 302 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Getting back to the OP...
    smulch wrote: »
    I think it's pretty obvious to anyone that observed the new item level system that it has some major flaws.

Notably:

It calculate enchants in utility slots.
    Companions don't contribute
    Boons don't contribute
    Armor kits give a ridiculously high amount.
    Legendary artifacts give the same value as a regular epic (despite being vastly better).

So let me suggest a twist on the current system.
    Slot weighting.

Not sure why you would weight some equipment pieces more than others - I don't think there is a difference in game mechanics (I understand not counting the Util enchants, so just do not count them)?

I agree that your points need to be included (or excluded) from the current score, but not sure weighting would be the go. Ultimately it is about assigning a value and measuring a character, so they can be compared against other characters or players. But that does not take into account the class, powers or feats, so any measure is purely for averaging. Why not add feats and powers you have slotted into the score as well, plus your class, plus your tree, plus....

You need 1,800 to get into this zone cannot determine your ability to play well or not in the zone with your toon, just that you are more likely to not die (assuming things are fixed in future :) ). Once you have reached lvl 70, it is the only way the game can make an appropriate determination of your capabilities - players should only use the score like the game does - as a starting reference, not make a complete judgement about that toon from a visible score! Are they complementary to the team? Do they have skills that exceed their score? Play with them to find out, do not judge based on an artificial point system that measures your muscles...

Might is not always right - the powerful sometimes forget that.

The Small Band
  • Options
    jaotutjaotut Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 576 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    isaintify1 wrote: »
    LFM for elol 4k+ item level!........ I am tired of seeing this bs.. -_-

Then turn the chat off lol.

Seriously, go form your own party, or join some guild/channels etc to look for people to run dungeons with. You can make some friends in-game that you play with a lot, makes the game a lot more fun than trying to solo queue everything. It's even greater finding friends that's around the same level as you, so you both can discuss things together to get better.
    Merlin - CW Merlyn - HR Psylocke - TR Black Widow - GWF

Have the gear and skills, but lack the friends to play with? Come and apply for Essence of Aggression. We have been here and strong since beta. (Immature, rude, and arrogant people will not be accepted)
  • Options
    smulchsmulch Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 625 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    krailov wrote: »
    Getting back to the OP...

Not sure why you would weight some equipment pieces more than others - I don't think there is a difference in game mechanics (I understand not counting the Util enchants, so just do not count them)?

I agree that your points need to be included (or excluded) from the current score, but not sure weighting would be the go. Ultimately it is about assigning a value and measuring a character, so they can be compared against other characters or players. But that does not take into account the class, powers or feats, so any measure is purely for averaging. Why not add feats and powers you have slotted into the score as well, plus your class, plus your tree, plus....

You need 1,800 to get into this zone cannot determine your ability to play well or not in the zone with your toon, just that you are more likely to not die (assuming things are fixed in future :) ). Once you have reached lvl 70, it is the only way the game can make an appropriate determination of your capabilities - players should only use the score like the game does - as a starting reference, not make a complete judgement about that toon from a visible score! Are they complementary to the team? Do they have skills that exceed their score? Play with them to find out, do not judge based on an artificial point system that measures your muscles...

The point of doing a score averaging is because some items give a considerably higher amount of stats than another. In my example, I compared the chest piece to the other pieces. Going from a lvl 115 chest to a lvl 130 chests give a considerably higher amount of stats than going from a 115 boots to a 130 boots. Yet, both give the same amount of ilvl.

Another very big part of the reason I say this is armor enhancements. An armor enhancement that gives 200 of a stat gives a vertiginous 120 ilvl once applied. Even worse, the enhancement for jewelry also gives that 120! Those are not even close to be comparable to the amount of score you'd get from upgrading say, 4 ilvl 100 items to ilvl 130 and yet, it gives the same amount!

Sadly, as long as that score exist, players will ask for it. If the score doesn't exist, then they will start asking for your power total and so on. Ideally, we'd educate players on how to inspect but this is generally a lost cause because those asking for a score in the first place are generally lazy and prefer to use a quick number no matter how inaccurate it is. I saw it in WoW, I saw it in other games too and it will just always be that way unless it's just not present. So making it more accurate (even if it's impossible to pinpoint) is the best thing to do with the exception of simply removing it entirely.
  • Options
    blackylukeblackyluke Member Posts: 261 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    3160 TIL GWF here, there is only 1 GWF who ever outdamaged me in a dungeon. No CW (without Feytouched) came close no other class either.
    Yes Damage Dealer is just one role of out 3, but it's the easiest to track data for and to understand.

Total Item Level is merely for the queue system. The devs know it poorly evaluates the "power" of a character, but there is no better system so far, since pretty much over the half of said power are encounters, dailies, class features, at-wills, paragons, feats, boons and ability scores which are to complicated to break down into one number for all classes.
  • Options
    isaintify1isaintify1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 414 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    jaotut wrote: »
    Then turn the chat off lol.

Seriously, go form your own party, or join some guild/channels etc to look for people to run dungeons with. You can make some friends in-game that you play with a lot, makes the game a lot more fun than trying to solo queue everything. It's even greater finding friends that's around the same level as you, so you both can discuss things together to get better.
    Derp I am saying that I am tired of seeing it because you do not need 4k+ to complete t2 dungeons. And a huge amonut of the community does not have even 3k+. So how are people supposed to get geared if they are kicked for not having 3k+. Thats why I am tired of seeing that bs.