test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

PVE Tank GF looking for advice

dimrokdimrok Member Posts: 16 Arc User
edited May 2015 in The Guard Barracks
I play a PVE Tank GF. Usually with the same group of people. Group make up is GF, HR, TR, DC, SW, CW (yah, 6 people, someone usually sits out or is missing for the day).

Yesterday was the first time we tried group content since hitting 70 and it didn't go very well. So looking for some feedback from experienced folks on what I can do better.

First, what builds are people using for their PVE Tank GF's? I've gone protector and invested in as many tank like feats as possible. Any specifics I should be sure to add?

Second, what power sets should I be running with and using?

Third, what stats should I be pursuing? I'm trying to get as much defense as possible. Is that right?

Fourth, any suggestions on companions?

Finally, looking for some specific advice on the following:

* When we hit groups, I usually use enforced threat. However, since mod 6, that means I get almost insta gibbed. I can sometimes survive if I put up my shield, but with a large group, at least two or three mobs are going to get behind me. Any thoughts?

* We tried eLOL last night and broke our heads on it for 3 hours. Clearing was relatively straightforward. First boss was easy once I figured out his pattern. Scorpions were nasty. What the heck do I do here? DC was controlling one of them and I was basically behind my shield for the other one at all times. Still, that rain of fire would occasionally kill me. How do I avoid it? Dragon itself was very tankable for me except for lag killing me a few times.

Thanks for any advice and if there's any more information I can provide to make this easier, please let me know.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    dimrok wrote: »
    I play a PVE Tank GF. Usually with the same group of people. Group make up is GF, HR, TR, DC, SW, CW (yah, 6 people, someone usually sits out or is missing for the day).

Yesterday was the first time we tried group content since hitting 70 and it didn't go very well. So looking for some feedback from experienced folks on what I can do better.

First, what builds are people using for their PVE Tank GF's? I've gone protector and invested in as many tank like feats as possible. Any specifics I should be sure to add?

Second, what power sets should I be running with and using?

Third, what stats should I be pursuing? I'm trying to get as much defense as possible. Is that right?

Fourth, any suggestions on companions?

Finally, looking for some specific advice on the following:

* When we hit groups, I usually use enforced threat. However, since mod 6, that means I get almost insta gibbed. I can sometimes survive if I put up my shield, but with a large group, at least two or three mobs are going to get behind me. Any thoughts?

* We tried eLOL last night and broke our heads on it for 3 hours. Clearing was relatively straightforward. First boss was easy once I figured out his pattern. Scorpions were nasty. What the heck do I do here? DC was controlling one of them and I was basically behind my shield for the other one at all times. Still, that rain of fire would occasionally kill me. How do I avoid it? Dragon itself was very tankable for me except for lag killing me a few times.

Thanks for any advice and if there's any more information I can provide to make this easier, please let me know.
    aggro and kite scorpions block when you cant run.;p
  • Options
    grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    keep your shield up unless adds are cc or in between attacks.

iron warrior (lets stam regen whilst block/use before pull if possible), knights valor (so your team mates dont always get 1 shot), enforced threat (grab agro/regen stamina when mobs are cced).

Just keep block up all the time, get iron warrior in before your stamina runs out. using shield talent is a nice choice, or steel defense if you are swordmaster (pop daily ->iron warrior -> enforced threat) along with guarded assault (build threat from reflecting).

I've tanked both as swordmaster and ironvanguard now, and though i thought having steel defense is a must, it really isn't since shield talent is really nice (along with artifact weapon with slam stamina return).

I also tanked as conqueror and protector, i did not see much different because things will kill you either way if you don't block.

Another tip when tanking bosses (such as scorpians) when they are casting red attacks, that is an opportunity for you to use encounters/move out of the way without taking any damage, before bringing your shield back up.
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".