test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Attempted Kill Stealing

rangerman25rangerman25 Member Posts: 84
This is one thing that has been bothering me for a while now. When a player engages a mob whoever strikes it first, that's their kill. Cussing them out because you didnt get credit for it is childish. And for example I will use another example from the game:

Helm's Hold: I am lvl 34 almost 35 just clearing out all the quests on the map before moving on. I engaged a Demon for the Devil's event and was doing okay on my own. I had the demon down to 25% life and another player jumped in and started wacking on it. Now I appreciate the help I really do. But when it ended this same player got mad about not getting credit for the kill and then accused me of "kill stealing." and reported me.

Now I just started this to vent that while I know you are trying to be helpful, cursing the player out for you not getting the credit is childish and immature. Kill stealing is not technically possible from what I have seen anymore. Anyone else have players do this to you?
Post edited by rangerman25 on

Comments

• morgonmgcmorgonmgc Member Posts: 68
    edited May 2015
    I don't understand. If I do an appreciable amount of damage - whether or not I started the fight - I get 'credit' for the kill in quest counters, along with occasional drops. Were they mad that they only got one hit in? How is that your fault?

I think we're missing context to this story, but maybe the person you're talking about really is that clueless. Help clarify?
  • rangerman25rangerman25 Member Posts: 84
    edited May 2015
    morgonmgc wrote: »
    I don't understand. If I do an appreciable amount of damage - whether or not I started the fight - I get 'credit' for the kill in quest counters, along with occasional drops. Were they mad that they only got one hit in? How is that your fault?

I think we're missing context to this story, but maybe the person you're talking about really is that clueless. Help clarify?

The problem was is that he didnt hardly do any fighting. I had the mob down to 25% health by myself when he jumped in. Now I did that much damage in about 1 minute. The fight lasted another 30 seconds but I did the vast majority of damage and it wasnt for the "quest" it was for the Event. The Devil's Event that happens all the time. But I have found that once a player hits that event mob, the player who initates gets the credit. So I farm for the event mobs in far out areas where not many other players go. But I was stating why I was in the area still at lvl 34...( should be in Ebon Downs)
  • miasmatmiasmat Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 318 Cryptic Developer
    edited May 2015
    Happily or unhappily, you actually split the contest kill credit by the percent of the damage you do. So if you do 75% of the damage on that devil, you'll get .75 of a point. The UI rounds this down on the scoreboard but the fractional point still exists and is used in your ranking. So, if you get 2.75 kills and I get 2.1 kills, you'll be ranked higher than me in the contest and may get Gold while I get Silver - even though the UI will show us both with 2 kills.

For normal loot and quest credit, as long as you do something like 25% of the damage, you'll get kill credit and get loot dropped from the monster.
  • rangerman25rangerman25 Member Posts: 84
    edited May 2015
    lol...well I still wound up with 8 Devil kills topping everyone else...but I couldnt understand it for the life of me why he reported me when I did nothing to him
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    Check dates. It's dead, Jim.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
This discussion has been closed.