test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What do you think of the increase in communication from the Developers & their teams?

damnaciousdamnacious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 354 Arc User
edited May 2015 in General Discussion (PC)
I've noticed a significant increase in the communication between the development staff and the player base here on the forums over the last couple of weeks.

Do you think the current quantity and quality of communication is an improvement, sufficient, needed or could be better?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• discoricediscorice Member Posts: 371 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Given the scope of the damage done? I'd categorize the "increased" communication as woefully insufficient.
    Fear Of A Disco Planet
  • arsonall82arsonall82 Member Posts: 151 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2015
    you want to know my level of Dev-player content? look at Path of Exile.

they have a weekly "state of the game" forum post EVERY WEEK. they released one today - at least 5,000 characters of "the state of the game"

they discussed the closed beta, with respect to the short comings and successes currently occurring. the end-result is that they decided to push back they next expansion, and they're basically what I always imagined a F2P company would be to successfully have players asking to give them money - they do it right in a combination of dev communication, no items for purchase that affect your gameplay over someone that doesn't spend money, and lots of complexity.
  • mjytreszmjytresz Member Posts: 500 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Problem: New mod has dozens of broken mechanics
    Solution: Fix it.

Problem: New mod has dozens of broken mechanics
    PWE Solution: Talk about it but don't fix it.
    Broken mechanics, broken class designs, lack of actual content, and over zealous, bronze-age moderation?

Go Cryptic!
    PS - I quit.
  • overdriver13overdriver13 Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    It is better than what it was in mod5 but the general vibe from dev/pwe communications is that the player is at the bottom of the totem pole, are generally stupid and that we are most absolutely not at all accountable to as customers. It goes from top to bottom> developers>communications manager>forum mods>players. One gets the impression that we are pretty much just disposable trash that somehow the devs and mods are supposed to make something profitable from. What a thankless job!

Strum is cool, the one that posted in the pvp forums recent seems cool, but any time there is a major problem and we have something to say about it, the general attitude from the others is like, "pffft who the heck are you that we should explain ourselves to you???. You don't understand/are not important enough for us to explain things to/are obviously too stupid to understand how things work, therefore your expectation of having a working game to play is wayyyyy out of line and you guys really need to just take a long walk off a short pier and don't let the door hit you in the rear on the way out."
  • feanor70118feanor70118 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,170 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    If this is increased, how silent were they before? All I see is telling us to wait and that we're oh so silly for imagining that the many, many issues of real concern to players ought to have been addressed before the mod was released, much less now that we're a month in.

They still haven't addressed the fact that they broke dragon hoard enchantments. The one thing of any concern to players that they've fixed - the Tiamat hoard being tuck at 100% - was something that they broke in the first place. I see them being forced to smile tightly to try to put a good face on a bad situation. It tells us that management is doing a terrible job of prioritizing decisions and that what they should have done in March was fire management, not half the dev team. Meanwhile Mod 6 remains a broken mess and every week brings new disappointments.
  • whitupigguwhitupiggu Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Compared to the planetside 2 dev team these guys are virtually mute.
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    At least the complaining isn't on "my" side anymore, ie the difficulty in dungeons is absolutely perfect, especially in T2s! So the devs could take a break, I'd be grateful for that, since they're going to listen to the complaints eventually and will take my toys, tear them apart and give them to the general public with no challenge at all but it will still be labelled "super epic legendary of doom".

But even with "increased communication", this game is still the one with the least communication i've ever seen! You can make a 10, 20 pages thread about a ninja nerf and no one will come to say it's intended and why it's been done. The devs will post maybe once a month and that's it. I've played many other MMOs and this one is the worst in terms of honesty and communication.
  • rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I'm not sure I would call it a "significant increase".
  • blackxxwolf3blackxxwolf3 Member Posts: 1,539 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    i love it and i appreciate the devs taking time to do it.
  • mmm1001mmm1001 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I don't see any increased communication with players.
    And they fired old community moderator and hired ex QA as community moderator .... QA ... realy.
  • tinead51tinead51 Member Posts: 305 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Q & A are just missing letters in this MMO's development.
  • quspivquspiv Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,087 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Perhaps they dont have any good news for us in near future so they prefer to be quietly? What would they achieve coming here and saying they're happy they way m6 works and don't plan to lower the difficulty? Lot's of players would quit faster, but if they dont say anything those players might stay a little longer and maybe get used to new difficulty and other things.
  • lowenduslowendus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 322 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    tinead51 wrote: »
    Q & A are just missing letters in this MMO's development.

Q&A and QA I'd say...as in a QA team.
    edited May 2015
    damnacious wrote: »
    I've noticed a significant increase in the communication between the development staff and the player base here on the forums over the last couple of weeks.

Do you think the current quantity and quality of communication is an improvement, sufficient, needed or could be better?

I'm sorry I have to put it this way but: You must be out of your mind.

There's no quality or quantity.

It was a simple "we did this cause that's what one of ours had completed" and that ain't nothing of both.

Quality and quantity would be adding a scope for following patches/fixes and info on what they're currently working and some kind of frequent update regarding the issues and how things are going.

Not doing so makes one feel like there isn't...simple as that.

This way people would have the peace of mind that stuff is being looked at, fixes will be made etc etc.

Last comm from DEVs was just non essential information on non essential fixes
    edited May 2015
    And by the way...now that I looked into and I quote what panderus said

"In addition, we are always working on upcoming features and modules so it can be difficult to just take a huge chunk of time from those without first examining the schedule and seeing how that would really impact moving forward."

I can clearly understand why things are the way they are....finally.

So they're working on new stuff before even fixing what's wrong with the previous...lol

It's like building on bad foundations and loading more weight on them without taking reinforcing measures.

Is this for real ?

How is a Dev from another team able to build/code stuff that's gonna be attached to another module that's already filled with bugs/errors !!??!!

New lines of code in the new modules happen to call broken/bad lines of code in previous modules and there u have it

If the previous ones are not resolved...well...MOD 6....welcome.

How on earth do you work on new stuff to plug into your platform without repairing the core on which they are going to be plugged in?!?!

Oh my lawd!
  • mjytreszmjytresz Member Posts: 500 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    diogene0 wrote: »
    At least the complaining isn't on "my" side anymore, ie the difficulty in dungeons is absolutely perfect, especially in T2s! So the devs could take a break, I'd be grateful for that, since they're going to listen to the complaints eventually and will take my toys, tear them apart and give them to the general public with no challenge at all but it will still be labelled "super epic legendary of doom".

But even with "increased communication", this game is still the one with the least communication i've ever seen! You can make a 10, 20 pages thread about a ninja nerf and no one will come to say it's intended and why it's been done. The devs will post maybe once a month and that's it. I've played many other MMOs and this one is the worst in terms of honesty and communication.

Yes, when I think "dungeons are too easy", I immediately imagine fighting every boss with a 10x multiplier and immense lag.
    Because when I think difficulty, I think lag.
    Broken mechanics, broken class designs, lack of actual content, and over zealous, bronze-age moderation?

Go Cryptic!
    PS - I quit.
  • strumslingerstrumslinger Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,724 Cryptic Developer
    edited May 2015
    Hey guys,
    Thought I should pop in!

For those who are praising our communication, thank you! For those who want more, how should we increase it? Is it just more developer presence you request?

Call me Andy (or Strum, or Spider-Man)!
    Follow Neverwinter on Twitter: NeverwinterGame 
    Like Neverwinter on Facebook: Neverwinter

Follow me on Twitter: StrumSlinger

• ogariousogarious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Heya Strum.

Honestly I think (At least for the time being) you guys need to put out a weekly press release on what's being worked on in game. As much transparency as you can stomach right now will help keep your playerbase from leaving. (And I hate the whole idea of this, but in this case it is definitely needed)

With that being said. The new people in charge have walked into a ****storm, you do not fix that overnight. Most of us know this. But most of us have experience with Cryptic and PWE/I (Whatever Perfect world wants to call themselves) and are running more then a little short in the faith department.

But I saw what has been done in the past with STO and know that the potential is at least there, but potential is not going to make the game playable, and it is not going to get us to open are wallets.
  • zvieriszvieris Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Hey guys,
    Thought I should pop in!

For those who are praising our communication, thank you! For those who want more, how should we increase it? Is it just more developer presence you request?

We would benefit from more developer presence in bug report section. As well as we need an updated "known issues" thread.
  • untamedengineer#6733 untamedengineer Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    An acknowledgement of known bugs/issues along with a short-term, near-term, and longer-term remedial approach prioritization would work for a start. In conjunction with that at least weekly status updates on the 'state of the game' approach. Returning to previews and patch notes on the Test server would also help in allowing the community to at least feeling partly included in the process.

Just my 2 coppers worth opinion.
  • blackxxwolf3blackxxwolf3 Member Posts: 1,539 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Hey guys,
    Thought I should pop in!

wow i love you for popping in!!! its more the developer presence we request. because we just dont see enough of them. its nice to know they are there and seeing the problems we see rather than not knowing what there doing at all. if they are even still working on the game at all. i mean im sure they are i respect them for it. but its nice to see them.it restores our confidence in them when we see them talk. every time someone like you posts something everyone freaks out to see it and gets exited.
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Hey guys,
    Thought I should pop in!

Answering to major concerns without being too vague like "we're investigating". Like, dragon hoard enchantment not working as they used to. Dungeons now always requiring a key to open the chest, which is slowly killing dungeons and interest in the game for some people. Acknowledging that lag is being worked on, and stuff like that.

It doesn't take hours to ask to the guy next to you in the office if a change is intended or not and then giving the answer the community is waiting. Ninja nerfs, when they're noticed, create disbelief and distrust, and I'm not convinced it's what you want from your players, so when some threads are a bit on fire, popping in, asking a question or two to the right people, and giving us a proper answer, would be useful communication, not just general noise and answering to extremely enthusiastic threads only.
  • matthiasthehun76matthiasthehun76 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,184 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Hey guys,
    Thought I should pop in!

In one word: YES!

In more words, i would like to see and read Dev posts or threads, where they try to explain this disaster, who and why came up with the 1000+ broken bugs and ideas, let us see, who are the people behind the curtains (old craftsmen always stood up for their work, with their names and faces, like Michelangelo for example) responsible for each part of the game, let us see twitch tv streams, where they run T2 dungeons, without god mode on and i could come up with tons of ideas, but this is enough for the start.

P.S: I nearly forgot, please make a road map Devs, so we can see, what and when to expect. It would give this disaster a bit more professional look, cause currently, let me be honest, i don't see any development. You know, don't wanna sound rude, not my intention, but talk is cheap, we would like to see some actions, please.
    The real honest man is honest from conviction of what is right, not from policy.
    Robert E. Lee

I only believe in statistics that I doctored myself.
    Winston Churchill

The human race is a herd. Here we are, unique, eternal aspects of consciousness with an infinity of potential, and we have allowed ourselves to become an unthinking, unquestioning blob of conformity and uniformity. A herd. Once we concede to the herd mentality, we can be controlled and directed by a tiny few. And we are.
    David Icke

• nubgamernubgamer Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Hey guys,
    Thought I should pop in!

In all honesty I believe the developers should be left to develop and allow the community managers to manage the community. While there are indeed issues with the current Mod and many places where the game could be improved, more response from the community managers will not make anyone happy at this point. The only response that the company could give that would placate people would be "we have a fix for this and it is being rolled out as we speak" Of course if that was stated and the fix did not fix what it was supposed to or made things worse then it would have only silenced people for the moment.

I think that what has been said is fine. The lead developer has stated that he knows there are issues and that he is looking into them, he is also looking at them for the first time. It will take time for him to sort out the issues, to sort out priorities, to sort out the "quick fixes" vs the major ones. They've already released some minor fixes, most likely ones that were easily identifiable and would not require much testing to insure that they didn't make things worse.

For those that state that the company does not communicate enough, frankly the way that many people on these forums speak I wouldn't want to communicate either. I have seen many community manager responses lately directed at posts where someone asks a question in a mild well thought out way. One of the worst things this community can do is continue hijacking threads just because it has a red "PW" next to it for their own ends or to rant and rave.

One post earlier stated the one thing that I would love to see, and that's a "state of the game" or perhaps an "in progress" by the developers once a week or so.