test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Menzoberranzan?

rangerman25rangerman25 Member Posts: 84
Do you think we will see this Drow City in the any of the future game content updates? Would be nice if it was like an Expansion pack with the drow as a playable race and the city is a starting area etc. What do you think?
Post edited by rangerman25 on

Comments

• telprydaintelprydain Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I don't think so - mainly because the modules tend to follow the 'big events' from Wizards of the Coast. Having said that, while I don't think Menzoberranzan will happen, we could well see more stuff in the underdark - and we already have both Drow and Menzoberranzan Drow races.
    Casual Gamers
    Join us brothers and sisters and distant relations and confused onlookers.
    Join us in the shadows where we stand mostly vigilant... although slightly distracted by our inventories.
    "In war, unqualified. In peace, disorganised. In death, mild irritation."

JOIN US.
  • rangerman25rangerman25 Member Posts: 84
    edited May 2015
    Big events? How is Menzoberranzan not important enough to make the cut? We're talking about a massive city of Drow. One of the most famous in the Forgotten Realms games/books. That along should make it a "big event"...I mean hell it even has it's own book for the actual game. Written by "Wizards of the Coast".
  • generaldiomedesgeneraldiomedes Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Depends what WoTC's next story line is.
    edited May 2015
    Sorry, ranger - what I meant (and what diomedes articulated better) is that the modules seem to be following the "Wizards of the Coast" (WotC) story-lines. For example, right now is elemental evil... everything D&D from WotC has that theme - there's elemental evil books, elemental evil campaigns, a elemental evil miniature line, their site is themed with elemental evil, there's the elemental evil board game and (of course) Neverwinter has elemental evil.
    The previous modules (Tyranny of Dragons, Rise of Tiamat) were likewise tied into the current WotC storyline events.

Based off of that, I imagine that we won't see a Neverwinter Menzoberranzan event unless WotC has a Menzoberranzan event.
    Casual Gamers
    Join us in the shadows where we stand mostly vigilant... although slightly distracted by our inventories.

JOIN US.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Not to mention it would be a horrible idea as a starting city. What would be the point of spending development time making an area only one single race could start from?

Humans, other Elves, Dwarves, and pretty much any other race would be unwelcome to the point of kill on sight. Heck even one of the two Drow races would be unwelcome, being renegades and all.

I could see it as a new place to raid or adventure in, but never as a starting city. It would be far too exclusive.
    edited May 2015
    I kinda glossed over that point, as we currently have the one city (rather than towns all around the world) and no 'sides' at war.
    It's not really applicable to how Neverwinter is run.
    Casual Gamers

JOIN US.
    edited May 2015
    Well what I meant by the starter city idea is that Menzoberranzan is a city where the Drow Noble houses are at war with each other. And I mean even if coming up with a new idea, it would be great. For example: Say for an "event" you are in Whispering Caverns when you get attacked by a band of Drow. On one of the bodies you find orders to kill or capture <character name> for killing Drow. Because the game so far allows you to kill Drow. So you leave Whispering Caverns following the trail it seems they came from and you come upon Menzoberranzan. Now this is just an idea, but it would be great if they would open it as another city as well even for trading like Neverwinter, but it seems they are taking the gameplay or rather all their ideas from Neverwinter Nights, which is not bad, but the devs are the DM in this case and they should be allowed to make content as they see fit, rather than follow a single script/"events"
    edited May 2015
    For what it’s worth, it’s not following the Neverwinter Nights for inspiration, so much as they are basing the world state off of the Drizzt Neverwinter novels. Those would be a great read if you’re interested in the lore.
    And while I’m sure the devs ARE able to do whatever they like, it probably suits them to follow WotC. By matching the current theme they get free advertising and the ability to tap into the excitement around the current story-line. It behoves them to be a part of it.

As for Menzoberranzan, I don’t think it could ever be a trade-hub. As sockmunkey suggested, the Drow are xenophobic and elitist, and would attack players on sight. The only way I can see that city working at all is if the player were enlisted by Bregan D'aerthe for some reason. That would give you an excuse to run raids or strikes against the Nobel houses of Menzoberranzan.
    Having said that, I think that there are potentially more interesting places to visit in the Underdark that we could explore, and Menzoberranzan is closer to Waterdeep than Neverwinter. But we’ll be going to Icewind dale, so perhaps a trip Menzoberranzan isn’t too out the question.
    Casual Gamers

JOIN US.
  • zaknafyenzaknafyen Member Posts: 200 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    telprydain wrote: »
    For what it’s worth, it’s not following the Neverwinter Nights for inspiration, so much as they are basing the world state off of the Drizzt Neverwinter novels. Those would be a great read if you’re interested in the lore.
    And while I’m sure the devs ARE able to do whatever they like, it probably suits them to follow WotC. By matching the current theme they get free advertising and the ability to tap into the excitement around the current story-line. It behoves them to be a part of it.

As for Menzoberranzan, I don’t think it could ever be a trade-hub. As sockmunkey suggested, the Drow are xenophobic and elitist, and would attack players on sight. The only way I can see that city working at all is if the player were enlisted by Bregan D'aerthe for some reason. That would give you an excuse to run raids or strikes against the Nobel houses of Menzoberranzan.
    Having said that, I think that there are potentially more interesting places to visit in the Underdark that we could explore, and Menzoberranzan is closer to Waterdeep than Neverwinter. But we’ll be going to Icewind dale, so perhaps a trip Menzoberranzan isn’t too out the question.

I've read the "Legend of Drizzt" novels, really good reads and I've read at least the first three books 4 times now. One thing NW has done for me is being able to visually see an area that I(you) could only imagine while reading the books.

With that said, as much as I would like to see it as well, it doesn't make sense to me that it would be an area to visit. As you said, Drow in Menzoberranzan (well, most Drow in general) are inherently chaotic evil and only serve their House, who are in a constant state of Royal War (whether be taking out another House because they have falled out of Lolth's favor or because it played a strategic advancement to become more in favor of Lolth), while continuously forming raiding parties to go to the surface do "whatever" and killing anything that isn't Drow (Rothe Valley, Drow Slavers, is a good example). Lore wise, it just doesn't make sense to me to go to Menzobaranzan, outside of possibly having different starter zones (as I believe someone else suggested) for each race.
    edited May 2015
    I made the suggestion as a starter zone, because I know I would visit it. And if you look at http://www.freeinfosociety.com/media/images/4880.jpg the city of Menzoberranzan is actually SE of Mithral Hall at the upper part of the Evermoors. Icewind Dale is west of there and roughly in the same area. I even heard someone mention that Guantlygrm is in Neverwinters MMO and that is West by SW of Menzoberranzan. The city itself would be an epic idea for an epic dungeon for higher lvls or even an idea for an epic Skirmish with a party of players laying siege to Menzoberranzan, sorta like Storming the Keep, but much much bigger.
    edited May 2015
    zaknafyen wrote: »
    I've read the "Legend of Drizzt" novels, really good reads and I've read at least the first three books 4 times now.
    If you liked those, look up the Neverwinter Saga (Gauntlgrym, Neverwinter, Charon's Claw, The Last Threshold). They are set sometime after Legend and much of the old crew is dead or gone (due to Drizzt's long lifespan).
    It explains a LOT about the game... What happened at Mt Hotenow, why is Neverwinter in ruins, etc...

With that said, as much as I would like to see it as well, it doesn't make sense to me that it would be an area to visit. As you said, Drow in Menzoberranzan (well, most Drow in general) are inherently chaotic evil and only serve their House, who are in a constant state of Royal War ... Lore wise, it just doesn't make sense to me to go to Menzobaranzan, outside of possibly having different starter zones.

Hence why Bregan D'aerthe would work... they've used outsiders before, they aren't pledged to any one house and it's allow a cameo from Jarlaxle. For what it's worth, Bregan D'aerthe helps the players in Baldur's Gate II.
    As I say though, can't see it as anything other than a adventure zone.
    Casual Gamers

JOIN US.
  • generaldiomedesgeneraldiomedes Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    telprydain wrote: »

I doubt they are able to do whatever they want .. probably part of D&D licensing agreement with WotC.

Anyways .. if you want to influence the overall plot, I suggest taking it up with WotC.

http://community.wizards.com/forums/61981
    edited May 2015
    Lmao...but the saddest part is that the city itself even has it's own adventure book for the paper and pen version. But wonder if they would even listen. Cryptic isnt well known for their listening to the players.
  • oz4201oz4201 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Lmao according to the FB page there's already a new module getting dropped.....undetdark.....menzo included
    edited May 2015
    Yea it just got announced for mod 8. So expect it to hit the PC sometime around November. Assume 6 months to a year after that for Xbox.
    edited May 2015
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    Yea it just got announced for mod 8. So expect it to hit the PC sometime around November. Assume 6 months to a year after that for Xbox.

Freaking A :) that just made my day 10x better XD
    edited May 2015
    Man, that's some luck, man. Snap!
    Casual Gamers

JOIN US.
  • quebraregraquebraregra Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    edited May 2015

No maybe's about it, that is exactly what it is. As said earlier Cryptic is just following the script that Wizards of the coast is providing.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/9226073-neverwinter%3A-underdark-coming-in-2015

So yup, its going to be the same module. Even up to and including adventuring with Drizz't Do'MarySue himself.
  • tzarofkaostzarofkaos Member Posts: 42
    edited May 2015
    Best news of the day....This is great.
    Can't wait....