test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Divine Oracle vs Anointed Champion

eroticdoomeroticdoom Member Posts: 89 Arc User
edited May 2015 in The Temple
Not yet tried Anointed so would like to know why you chose that path.

I picked Oracle purely on the class features that I liked the sound of ( foresight / Terrifying Insight ) for party and solo play.

What skills would you say make Champion the path to choose above Oracle and why.
" I reject your reality and substitute it with my own "
Post edited by eroticdoom on

Comments

• Options
    sentinelx3sentinelx3 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Anointed Champion is better for pvp by a slim margin because of the extra AC and such.

Only reason overall to take AC over DO is if you only want to pvp.
  • Options
    lordsarveriouslordsarverious Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I wanted the extra defense. I saw something else than eludes me this morning also. My buddy went DO, and he's a great healer. Hoping my AC Cleric works well
    Co-Founder of AoF Neverwinter Branch (TR 60, CW 60 SS)
    Find me on XBL to get an interview to join the guild.
    5.jpg
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    sentinelx3 wrote: »
    Anointed Champion is better for pvp by a slim margin because of the extra AC and such.

Only reason overall to take AC over DO is if you only want to pvp.

No, it's not the only reason. In fact, it's a poor reason.

I have both: DO and AC: My DO is primarily a solo-PvE toon. DO is great for the Righteous path for DPS-monster. But with Mod 6 that DPS-monster is a whimpering coward. I may respec my DO into a second AC Cleric.

Here are the primary differences I see between then:

1) Remember that the only differences are a couple at-will, encounter, daily powers and a few feats and abilities. Everything else is exactly the same no matter which paragon path you choose. If you just happen to not use any of the Paragon-specific abilities then it just doesn't even matter which Paragon you choose.

2) Divine Oracle is the original Paragon and is really nothing special. Other than the Foresight/Insight abilities and Brand of the Sun At-Will nothing is really attention-worthy. Since Neverwinter is 95% solo-play through leveling, etc. most of the abilities are designed to do both: buff/debuff based on solo-play and some of it also works in co-op play (when in a party).

3) Anointed Champion is the newer Paragon that was specifically designed of people who love co-op (not just party) play: most of the Paragon-specific abilities directly affect allies (not just party members) and it designed to help you spec as a genuine support class. Therefore it's a much better path if you do a lot if zone skirmishes also (like dragon and heroic encounters, etc.)

So you may want to consider them this way: DO is best for general solo and party-based players. AC is best for those players who want to focus more on co-op (party and other group) play. These are the main differences between them.

I've been playing DC as my main since Alpha/Beta/Launch back in February '13 - even before DC was "cool"; I have five DC toons right now. So I've had opportunity to really try things out. I won't say which is best for anyone as that's a decision only you can make for yourself. I am only pointing out the main differences between them in a way people can understand it.
  • Options
    treborlavoktreborlavok Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    No, it's not the only reason. In fact, it's a poor reason.

I have both: DO and AC: My DO is primarily a solo-PvE toon. DO is great for the Righteous path for DPS-monster. But with Mod 6 that DPS-monster is a whimpering coward. I may respec my DO into a second AC Cleric.

Here are the primary differences I see between then:

1) Remember that the only differences are a couple at-will, encounter, daily powers and a few feats and abilities. Everything else is exactly the same no matter which paragon path you choose. If you just happen to not use any of the Paragon-specific abilities then it just doesn't even matter which Paragon you choose.

2) Divine Oracle is the original Paragon and is really nothing special. Other than the Foresight/Insight abilities and Brand of the Sun At-Will nothing is really attention-worthy. Since Neverwinter is 95% solo-play through leveling, etc. most of the abilities are designed to do both: buff/debuff based on solo-play and some of it also works in co-op play (when in a party).

3) Anointed Champion is the newer Paragon that was specifically designed of people who love co-op (not just party) play: most of the Paragon-specific abilities directly affect allies (not just party members) and it designed to help you spec as a genuine support class. Therefore it's a much better path if you do a lot if zone skirmishes also (like dragon and heroic encounters, etc.)

So you may want to consider them this way: DO is best for general solo and party-based players. AC is best for those players who want to focus more on co-op (party and other group) play. These are the main differences between them.

I've been playing DC as my main since Alpha/Beta/Launch back in February '13 - even before DC was "cool"; I have five DC toons right now. So I've had opportunity to really try things out. I won't say which is best for anyone as that's a decision only you can make for yourself. I am only pointing out the main differences between them in a way people can understand it.

This exactly. Neither is technically better or worse than the other. Both use the same 3 encounter powers in combat. One(AC) buffs temp hit points more, the other adds a little more dps(DO).

The only biggest difference is the Daily power and one passive. DO mainly use HG, while AC will be using(more times than not) Anointed army. DO will be using Foresight/holy fervor and AC will be using Anointed holy symbol/holy fervor. Both are party specific, both are technically damage mitigation.

I personally prefer the Anointed army daily. So thats why i run AC over DO. But using either is viable end game.
  • Options
    neverknight5neverknight5 Member Posts: 79
    edited May 2015
    I have to disagree with anointed champion being better for PvP. They are both a different type of cleric. DO I use for PvP simply because of the damage output, it's significantly greater even without prophecy of doom, and that's a great daily. Anointed champion however is more suited towards defence, healing and node holding. They are super tanks and if they know their class well they require more than 3 people to kill if they aren't permastunned. I can hold 2 people max with my DO on a node, and 3 if they are unorganised, and empowered astral shield boosts my survivability a lot.
    It's all about personal preference, play what you want to play. There is no BiS spec for cleric just paths to help you narrow it down. Good luck.
  • Options
    reallyreconreallyrecon Member Posts: 170 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2015
    I have to disagree with anointed champion being better for PvP. They are both a different type of cleric. DO I use for PvP simply because of the damage output, it's significantly greater even without prophecy of doom, and that's a great daily. Anointed champion however is more suited towards defence, healing and node holding. They are super tanks and if they know their class well they require more than 3 people to kill if they aren't permastunned. I can hold 2 people max with my DO on a node, and 3 if they are unorganised, and empowered astral shield boosts my survivability a lot.
    It's all about personal preference, play what you want to play. There is no BiS spec for cleric just paths to help you narrow it down. Good luck.

You make some good points, but AC definitely has better personal survivability in PvP than DO. It does depend on your build and playstyle, as well as gear, but having played with some amazing Clerics on Xbox I can say it can make a difference. Going AC with a focus on Constitution + Constitution artifact belt can net you upwards of 36k HP, and combined with things like Oghma's/full PvP gear you can practically contest a node 5v1 or keep enemies from capping on you.

That being said, I run DO in PvP and PvE and it's still very effective for both. It really depends on your playstyle and what you do the most (solo PvP/PvE vs group PvP/PvE) but each Paragon has their niche. Overall, both are great for group PvP and PvE and you definitely want to give both a try to figure out which suits you best.
    Recon - 60 Cleric
    Gamertag: ReallyRecon
  • Options
    msbegotngirlmsbegotngirl Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I've been following Kaelac's guide (mod 5 i think) making my DC (I've never played a cleric before).

I am stuck at deciding my paragon path. I want to do ALL THE THINGS!

Do you guys have a suggestion as far as one being better for a first time cleric player? And MMO player too. DO sounds easier (larger AoE on stuff, giving me more leeway in keeping track of where all my party members are at). I like the sound of doing massive DPS mainly because I like to slaughter, but I did go DC to try something different, so I'm leaning toward a support role to try and get out of the kill everything that moves mindset.
  • Options
    trappy1026trappy1026 Member Posts: 147 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2015
    I'm not that well versed on Armor Class; so I have a question here.

I'm running AC (Anointed Champ) for PvP purposes. Running Anointed Armor obviously. But here's my question:

How does the advantage from Anointed Armor compare with Foresight's damage mitigation? Way too many much maths for my simple brain to comprehend. Would really love to know how it compares, because part of me misses being DO because of the few different encounters.

Another part of me also wants to roll another DC Righteous- because my ALL CON and DEX DC still hits hella hard DPS wise in PvE, can't imagine what a super buffed Daunting can to do a super debuffed loser dragon with all those points back in WIS.
  • Options
    reallyreconreallyrecon Member Posts: 170 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2015
    trappy1026 wrote: »
    I'm not that well versed on Armor Class; so I have a question here.

I'm running AC (Anointed Champ) for PvP purposes. Running Anointed Armor obviously. But here's my question:

How does the advantage from Anointed Armor compare with Foresight's damage mitigation? Way too many much maths for my simple brain to comprehend. Would really love to know how it compares, because part of me misses being DO because of the few different encounters.

Another part of me also wants to roll another DC Righteous- because my ALL CON and DEX DC still hits hella hard DPS wise in PvE, can't imagine what a super buffed Daunting can to do a super debuffed loser dragon with all those points back in WIS.

It's a toss-up because they're about equal - I believe it's +12 AC (which is +6% DR) and +6% deflection from Anointed Armor, and Foresight gives +6% DR or +11% DR when feated. If you add in the +6% from Blessing of Battle you have a little bit more with AC paragon compared to DO, and keep in mind Foresight is applied to players with your heals on them so if you're not pre-healing yourself then that bonus from Foresight isn't always applied when you get opened on in PvP.
    Recon - 60 Cleric
    Gamertag: ReallyRecon
  • Options
    trappy1026trappy1026 Member Posts: 147 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2015
    It's a toss-up because they're about equal - I believe it's +12 AC (which is +6% DR) and +6% deflection from Anointed Armor, and Foresight gives +6% DR or +11% DR when feated. If you add in the +6% from Blessing of Battle you have a little bit more with AC paragon compared to DO, and keep in mind Foresight is applied to players with your heals on them so if you're not pre-healing yourself then that bonus from Foresight isn't always applied when you get opened on in PvP.

From the Wiki: "Anticipating what is to come, you receive 2% less incoming damage. When healing others, you share these visions, temporarily increasing their defenses as well."

I think you always have it, but not your teammates, unless I'm interpreting it wrong. I'm surprised at how close these two features are, kind of makes me want to spec back into DO.
  • Options
    xmeanseason305xxmeanseason305x Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 109 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2015
    12 Ac and 6% deflection is the way to go for the pvp meta... Remember you also have the extra bonus from blessing of battle.... Foresight is great for your teammates.... However... Very rarely will you all be together in a 5v5 team fight versus a good 5 man team... Also considering we are missing exactly 20 boons worth of stat increases ( 4 missing campaigns ). At this moment on xbox, anointed champion is the way to go...
    My 2 cents.