test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Just rolled a GF...tips? tricks? things to know?

neatlytangledneatlytangled Member Posts: 6 Arc User
edited June 2015 in The Guard Barracks
I main a SW but since I have a hard time restraining myself from running headlong into any fight, I thought I'd try a GF and see if it's a fit. So far I'm really enjoying the combination of being able to charge into a room and having the tactical abilities and toughness to destroy what's in my path. I have yet, however, to run my first dungeon and I know that there is an art to tanking that goes beyond running in and getting the enemy annoyed with me.

Tips? Tricks? Things you love about the class? Things you don't?
Post edited by neatlytangled on

Comments

• Options
    mantab00bmantab00b Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I main a SW but since I have a hard time restraining myself from running headlong into any fight, I thought I'd try a GF and see if it's a fit. So far I'm really enjoying the combination of being able to charge into a room and having the tactical abilities and toughness to destroy what's in my path. I have yet, however, to run my first dungeon and I know that there is an art to tanking that goes beyond running in and getting the enemy annoyed with me.

Tips? Tricks? Things you love about the class? Things you don't?

That pretty much is the secret to success. Max defense, get into the fray, valor, and your AoE taunt. Run around spamming taunt, keep fray up as much as possible, and win at tanking. As long as you have good situational awareness and understand when you're in shield stance while surround by 60+ mobs you're going to do great.
  • Options
    daxrazorrdaxrazorr Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Get hit a lot. Buff the party. Blocking is your friend. Your job is to keep the adds off the ranged attackers or keep an AOE Boss focused on you. I like abilities that knock enemies back allowing you to heal or change position.

Unless I am totally doing it wrong, then someone will correct me here :)
  • Options
    gfalconiogfalconio Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    depend of you paragon too, i am conqueror, maxHintpoints are you best defence too. into the fray + enforce trheat and Steel defence + Figther recovery is the best on pve.
    PVP GF Sword Master Dominion Champion :3
  • Options
    mantab00bmantab00b Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    gfalconio wrote: »
    depend of you paragon too, i am conqueror, maxHintpoints are you best defence too. into the fray + enforce trheat and Steel defence + Figther recovery is the best on pve.

Honestly, I would argue that Into the Fray, Knight's Valor, and Enforced Threat are the three that should be on your bar. As far as dailies, I opted for the prone/stun linear AoE (Terrifying Impact) and the life steal (Fighter's Recovery); Enhanced Mark and Shield Talent for your Actives.

Your job is really just to keep all threat glued to you, this build allows you to sponge almost all the damage (barring dps that absolutely refuses to get out of telegraphs), take minimal damage, and provide extreme benefits to the party with your insane damage boost from Fray. With enough defense and recovery, you'll find you can easily run any dungeon without a healer.
  • Options
    metheantiherometheantihero Member Posts: 178 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2015
    Everyone is going to say their build is better then the next guy. Find out what works for your stile of play. I currently have a GF on the X1 and the PC, and do not use the same build on either system. During gaming, i get requested constantly to help run CN/SoT for my tanking skills. Yes, you can Google GF builds, but it still boils down to your skills.
    If I should die on some far, far away battlefield
    Know I answered the call
    For a grand principle of freedom to yield.
    My fervent prayer is that death
    May not have been in vain
    Fighting for peace and right for the world to attain
  • Options
    lordsarveriouslordsarverious Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I just got my GF to level 23, and I am figuring these things out myself. I have to say I would love to do more damage, and move faster. My two buddies use their Shadow Walk or Sprint to get ahead and everything is dead before I get there. (We'll see how that fairs them in a dungeon.) I am figuring out the best power combo for it.
    Co-Founder of AoF Neverwinter Branch (TR 60, CW 60 SS)
    Find me on XBL to get an interview to join the guild.
    5.jpg
  • Options
    dammyluckdammyluck Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    knights valor looks like its always on just cant tell if the damage resist buff works since the decription reads temporarily so not sure about it.still use it though
  • Options
    tristan313tristan313 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Gotta agree with the previous point by metheantihero. But I too, wanted to be able to rush the enemy. I hear Weapon Master is the jam and supposedly turns GF into more-fighter, less-guardian.

Not sure about that, because I also wanted to move faster and rush the enemy. Lunging strike is awesome for distance, but when I found out Iron Vanguard paragons got a marking mini-shield rush (Threatening Rush), I figured that was for me. Mark main target (pref elite) Lunge Strike, AOE mark, Frontline Surge, anything not dead go after using the Threatening Rush to engage. Alternately, use Threatening Rush while the AOE mark is charging to mini-mark any guys fraying around to hit your long-range team members to keep them trying to beat you to death.

My guy is Level 55, and I've had good success in most PUG dungeons I've run in the course of leveling up... again, my style of play - may not work for everybody, but its freaking exciting, especially with a DC (or great team in general) watching your back.
  • Options
    zizoomzizoom Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Well don't worry much about all this while you are leveling up, at this moment you don't need to do any dungeon so I'd suggest to go for conqueror / iron protector at that time.

Put lunging strike / AoE mark / and as soon as possible Frontline surge. For Daily's learn to use Fighter's recovery and put terryfing Impact. Also put the passive like weapon mastery (forgot the english name) for more dps, and whatever you want.

In leveling process you don't really need to be a very good tank, as you'll face little packs of mobs and they will do little to no damage to you.

So to sum it up :

- lunging strike on the pack
    - AOE mark (for its dps)
    - Frontline surge
    - Cleave

Do it again and when it's up terryfing impact.

Again and again... its all AoE dps and you control the fight so you don't need to worry much as you'll dps everything on each attack.

Later, you'll decide to keep this feats and you'll be a DPS tank able to tank barely well and make Aoe Damage on dungeons, but when you'll face EpicTuern or EpicLoL or even CN, you'll have to make some new choices.
  • Options
    ladyevayneladyevayne Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    A couple of things I've learned, PVP wise anyways, is 1) Roots lock you facing in the direction you were facing when you got rooted. So be very careful with pushing past the enemy lines with hunters on the other team. I die alot because i get locked facing 1 direction while the rest of their team moves behind me and burns me down quick. 2) Rank 1 of bull rush is AWESOME. I highly recommend it. It casts quick and has very little warning. You'll notice good players will dodge just about everything we do because many of our good moves telegraph really badly. So bull rush gives you an opener to tie someone down and do damage. On that note, Rank 3 bull rush, is way less awesome. Chasing your opponent 30" to follow up, usually means your team is yelling at you and the got away. The 20% extra damage is totally not worth not getting a chance for follow up. Note:I don't run the longer prone duration feats, so that would probably make the difference, but if you are not running the prone duration buff, would strongly suggest only 1 point in bull rush as apposed to 3.
  • Options
    atlas77777atlas77777 Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    Stacking def is extremely poor stat allocation. I can't emphasize this enough- radiants in your defense slots after 4k def. Period. End of sentence.
    -Rex, the Mad King of [Legendary Outlaws]

"I saw you out there. I don't know what came over me, but I couldn't let you die. I found something inside of myself, something incredibly heroic. I mean, not to brag, but objectively..." -Peter Quill

Rex IV Tact GF | tRex SS Rene CW | GT: G3TxxS0M3
  • Options
    xrollxtidexxrollxtidex Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    ladyevayne wrote: »
    A couple of things I've learned, PVP wise anyways, is 1) Roots lock you facing in the direction you were facing when you got rooted. So be very careful with pushing past the enemy lines with hunters on the other team. I die alot because i get locked facing 1 direction while the rest of their team moves behind me and burns me down quick. 2) Rank 1 of bull rush is AWESOME. I highly recommend it. It casts quick and has very little warning. You'll notice good players will dodge just about everything we do because many of our good moves telegraph really badly. So bull rush gives you an opener to tie someone down and do damage. On that note, Rank 3 bull rush, is way less awesome. Chasing your opponent 30" to follow up, usually means your team is yelling at you and the got away. The 20% extra damage is totally not worth not getting a chance for follow up. Note:I don't run the longer prone duration feats, so that would probably make the difference, but if you are not running the prone duration buff, would strongly suggest only 1 point in bull rush as apposed to 3.

Bull Charge, IMO, is the single best CC skill in all of PvP. EVERY SINGLE GF worth a damn runs it. EVERY SINGLE ONE. You are doing yourself a disservice if you are not taking it up to rank 3 now, rank 4 in mod 6. You can cancel the animation with your shield if you are having trouble getting to your proned enemy. 20% damage buff is EXTREMELY worth it.

I do not have a problem with enemy players dodging my encounters. Prone-Stun-Prone-Dead. Rinse and repeat.
    Roll Tide : Guardian Fighter
    ASYLUM