test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Constant "Server not responding" messages.

twackerstwackers Member Posts: 34
I've been experiencing lag, and connectivity issues ever since launch. I'll get these messages and lag spikes about every ~20 seconds and then I'll be teleported back to where I was, as well as receive a "Server not responding" message. This makes not only questing, but the whole game un-enjoyable and unplayable.

At the beginning, I thought it was my internet. So I had a comcast tech come down and check everything out - and he said everything was fine. I then port forward all the xbox ports, but still got the lag specifically on neverwinter. So after that, I tried reinstalling the game (Twice) to see if the issue still persists - and it did.

I'm absolutely out of ideas here and would love to hear from some sort of moderator regarding these connectivity issues. Most of my friends play the game flawlessly, but me? Lol no.

Looking to hear some troubleshooting steps.
Post edited by twackers on

Comments

• Options
    logicdarkstarlogicdarkstar Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I doubt anyone experiences the game 'flawlessly' but if it helps any it happened to me on several occasions. My toon was flying all over the screen every time i tried to move. I refreshed my NAT table and it has worked ever since.

To do this you go to network settings on xbox one. Click test multiplayer connection and wait for it to do its thing, once the next screen appears do not press back or continue, instead hold all four top bumper buttons, this will load a different screen that will refresh your NAT table. Wait for it to finish determining your NAT settings then feel free to press back and continue. Hopefully this should help. Also clearing the XB1 cache and freeing up some space helps to a degree.

Thats all i know from my own experience with this issue and it did help me.

Hope you get back to the game soon.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I did your advice. Here are the results.

Latency: 19ms
    Wireless Strength: 85%
    Nat Type: Open
    Detailed NAT Information: Your network is behind a cone NAT
    Download Speed: 38mbps
    Upload Speed: 6mbps
    Packet loss: 0%
    MTU: 1480

Any reasons I should be getting lag beside server issues? I'll test the game later to see how it performs connection wise.
  • Options
    logicdarkstarlogicdarkstar Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    the only thing i have different is 100% wireless strength, this tells me you either have a slightly less powerful router or its is perhaps located in a part of your house with high static interference, or you simply are a little too far away from it. However 85% isnt bad at all and shouldn't really be causing that much issue.

I'm not fully sure about packet loss and latency etc so hopefully someone more technically gifted than me can pick up on this thread where i left off.

But open NAT and cone NAT are definatley what you want so its all good on that front.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I'm one room away from my modem on a wireless connection.
  • Options
    the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1
    edited April 2015
    They need to feed the hampsters more and replace the ones that have already starved to death who are laying on the wheel making it harder for the other hampsters to make it go around.
  • Options
    the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1
    edited April 2015
    twackers wrote: »
    I did your advice. Here are the results.

Latency: 19ms
    Wireless Strength: 85%
    Nat Type: Open
    Detailed NAT Information: Your network is behind a cone NAT
    Download Speed: 38mbps
    Upload Speed: 6mbps
    Packet loss: 0%
    MTU: 1480

Any reasons I should be getting lag beside server issues? I'll test the game later to see how it performs connection wise.

I do have to say that any message other than "Open" for the NAT Type usually means there's a problem on your end. It should absolutely always say open if it doesn't then there are either settings that need to be adjusted or there's a problem with the router or the router needs updating so the firmware will handle the process better.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I do have to say that any message other than "Open" for the NAT Type usually means there's a problem on your end. It should absolutely always say open if it doesn't then there are either settings that need to be adjusted or there's a problem with the router or the router needs updating so the firmware will handle the process better.

This is a verified answer on the xbox forums regarding a cone nat.

A cone NAT is a good thing. Per Microsoft, cone NAT works best with and is recommended for Xbox Live.

EDIT: After testing the game, I don't get the lag spikes as frequent. It went from 20 seconds to about 40-60. It's... "playable" but nothing more.