test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Solution to Some of the Gripes

cmason249cmason249 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 6 Arc User
edited April 2015 in General Discussion (PC)
Here it is, an easy fix for most of the gripes I've been reading, with minimal rework to content added.

Simply up the HP bonus for Constitution.

Class Balance:
Those who invest heavily in CON will deal less damage due to not being able to invest in damage stats like STR (ie. TR no longer able to one-shot GF/GWF) and is now succeptible to being one-shotted himself if he doesn't invest in CON. Classes with CON as a primary stat will obviously have huge HP pools. Those with CON as a non-primary/secondary will end up glass canons, yes, but that is as it should be. CWs should not be able to stand in one spot while a GF beats on him/her. TRs should have to choose attacks carefully, with an escape route (or stealth) in mind.

Honestly, I haven't paid enough attention to how HP are calculated, so I may be way off base here. If it is something like d12 for tank classes, d8 for support, d6 for mages (per level) or some variation thereof (like classic D&D), then the HP differences in the classes would be meaningful, but still allow playing content. It seems, though, that there is some base that all classes get + bonus from CON, leading to a vanilla distribution of HP between classes.

Gear:
With enough of a bonus, the need for the uber-HP blue gear goes away. This opens up the possibility of using the old epic gear with its set bonuses. New sets can still be added. Easy enough.

The key to all this is finding the right balance. Maybe tripling the bonus? Double? Quadruple? End state here is that classes will be more likely to played as intended at end-game while allowing for specialized, class-specific gear (with set bonuses, since that is seemingly an issue) instead of (again - vanilla) gear focused on getting toons HP needed to play end-game content.

Just my two cents. And my two most played toons are CW and TR, for what it's worth.