test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Balance those 48 setups before freaking the game further up.

lordrhavinlordrhavin Member Posts: 160 Arc User
edited April 2015 in General Discussion (PC)
There are currently 8 classes in Neverwinter:

Wizard, Cleric, Knight (GWF), Guardian, Ranger, Paladin, Warlock, Rogue

Each of those classes have 2 paragon pathes and 3 feature trees, giving you 3×2×8 = 48 possible basic setups for your caracter that you can finetune with power- and featurepoints.

shouldnt all efford go into balancing those 48 setups and giving each one a purpose?

{damage (AoE), damage (single-near), damage (single-far), tanking, healing (AoE), healing (Single), buff/debuff, dodge/avoid}
= 8 relations to your party and the environment.

give every class a primery relation while paragon and feature give secondary and ternary relation with every relation primary for one class, paragon for two other classes and ternery for 3 remaining classes.

Wizard: damage (AoE)
Cleric: healing (AoE)
Knight: damage (single-near)
Guardian: tank
Ranger: damage (single-far)
Paladin: healing (single)
Warlock: buff/debuff
Rogue: dodge/avoid

Of course, there're other ways to do it, but whatever you do:

give all those 48 setups a balanced purpose.
Post edited by lordrhavin on

Comments

• Options
    hedgebethedgebet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 447 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I entirely agree that they need to do a lot better job at balancing the classes/paragons/trees and I generally agree with your overall methodology to do that (although not necessarily your distribution).

One thing I find funny, though, is that you see a GWF as a knight and I see them as a barbarian and I suspect there would be a problem in that area with how people view each class and such.
  • Options
    schweifer1982schweifer1982 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,662 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    lordrhavin wrote: »
    There are currently 8 classes in Neverwinter:

Wizard, Cleric, Knight (GWF), Guardian, Ranger, Paladin, Warlock, Rogue

Each of those classes have 2 paragon pathes and 3 feature trees, giving you 3×2×8 = 48 possible basic setups for your caracter that you can finetune with power- and featurepoints.

shouldnt all efford go into balancing those 48 setups and giving each one a purpose?

{damage (AoE), damage (single-near), damage (single-far), tanking, healing (AoE), healing (Single), buff/debuff, dodge/avoid}
    = 8 relations to your party and the environment.

give every class a primery relation while paragon and feature give secondary and ternary relation with every relation primary for one class, paragon for two other classes and ternery for 3 remaining classes.

Wizard: damage (AoE)
    Cleric: healing (AoE)
    Knight: damage (single-near)
    Guardian: tank
    Ranger: damage (single-far)
    Paladin: healing (single)
    Warlock: buff/debuff
    Rogue: dodge/avoid

Of course, there're other ways to do it, but whatever you do:

give all those 48 setups a balanced purpose.

Paladin have tank path to.
    GWF 3700Ilvl Éjsötét & ProPala 3200Ilvl Menydörgés (main) & Szürkefarkas 2600 ilvl
  • Options
    matthiasthehun76matthiasthehun76 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,184 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    100% agree with Op, currently most of the classes are- sorry to say- useless, situation is worst than ever. Those 2 or 3 that can be used are forced into 1 build each or they are worth nothing.

Welcome boring days again, party= 4 CWs and either a TR or a DC.
    The real honest man is honest from conviction of what is right, not from policy.
    Robert E. Lee

I only believe in statistics that I doctored myself.
    Winston Churchill

The human race is a herd. Here we are, unique, eternal aspects of consciousness with an infinity of potential, and we have allowed ourselves to become an unthinking, unquestioning blob of conformity and uniformity. A herd. Once we concede to the herd mentality, we can be controlled and directed by a tiny few. And we are.
    David Icke

• Options
    blamecharlesblamecharles Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    100% agree with Op, currently most of the classes are- sorry to say- useless, situation is worst than ever. Those 2 or 3 that can be used are forced into 1 build each or they are worth nothing.

Welcome boring days again, party= 4 CWs and either a TR or a DC.

You obviously are running with the wrong people, Best group in my opinion right now is CW,DC,GF,HR,GWF. 4 CWs and DC may be fine for 1-69, but after LVL 70 is a dumb option.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    1st: please DONT FULLQUOTE.

2nd:
    Paladin have tank path to.
    lordrhavin wrote: »

Paladin could be either tank or single-near-damage paragon
    hedgebet wrote: »
    I generally agree with your overall methodology to do that (although not necessarily your distribution). One thing I find funny, though, is that you see a GWF as a knight and I see them as a barbarian

Yeah, you're right, barbarian is a better single word description. I dont know where those double-names ("outhbound" paladin, "scourge" warlock) come from, but the point is:

Bring logic and methodology to setup, then balance it. Once you understand the LOGIC behind Rock, Paper, Scissors, you know that it will also work balanced with 5 but not with 4. NWO seems currently like a 4-terms-version of that game where noone understands just why two of them are stronger than the others.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    We can evolve this even further:

If you want balance (Rock, Paper, Scissors) you either have an odd number of classes or an even number of classes.

If you have an odd number you can either assure that for any given class C exist exactly as many classes having a clear advantage against it as there exist classes that have a disadvantage or you have them all on equal footing.

If you have an even number of classes, you have to assure it anyway, because else you'll end up will some classes cleary better than others (like paper in Rock, Paper, Scissors, Well). In order to have it possible to *not* always add two classes and to keep your overall approach sane, the best approach anyway is:

□ All classes are valued the same against each other, all classes have principially equal chances to win against another class.

Now for the in-class balance. You have damage, you have hitpoints. damage may be dealt in a certain amount of time (in sec (s): cooldown), hitpoints may be healed in a certain amount of time (in sec(s): regeneration):

Hitpoint (HP)
    Regeneration (s)
    Damage (HP)
    cooldown (s)

□ Damage × cooldown ≍ Hitpoints × regeneration

Now we dress, introduce some armor. Armor is the reduction of damage taken, a percentage value that absorbs the attack. To balance it, we need something that amplifies the attack; this is critical, and as we dont want to always do critical, we break it down into a chance: if in the long run critical enables you to do an average of 25% more damage, it is logical that 1% in armor must be as hard to get as 4% in critical:

□ (Damage × cooldown × critical) / armor ≍ Hitpoints × regeneration
    □ critical = critvalue × critchance

Do we always hit? No, sometimes you just should miss, so there is a chance to do any damage at all: attack. How do we counter it? Well, with something that enables us to avoid an attack: dodge…

□ (Damage × cooldown × critical × attack) / dodge ≍ Hitpoints × regeneration × armor
    □ critical = critvalue × critchance

I think you get the picture. All those values exept Hitpoints and Damage are chances (%). This is a logical approach to balance ANY game, so the actiual names may not fully reflect their use in Neverwinter, but it tells you the USEFULLNESS of any power that should directly relate to whatever is needed to increase it. If done correctly, you end up with faetures and ability that NEVER always outrank other, they just might be inappropriate or inferior against any certain build but not useless at all.

Combine that with 3 dailies, 4 encounters and 3 class-features in 2 sets with a interchange-cooldown of about 10s (so you cant change in combat without heavy penalty) and balance ANY boon/feat/wathever according to the above blueprint and you get a balanced game.
  • Options
    rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    You obviously are running with the wrong people, Best group in my opinion right now is CW,DC,GF,HR,GWF. 4 CWs and DC may be fine for 1-69, but after LVL 70 is a dumb option.

I guess you are a cw right?