test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Damage feels... Mediocre at best

breckdareckbreckdareck Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 9
edited May 2015 in The Wilds
I'm not sure why, but even playing this class how its meant to be played(hybrid), I still seem to be doing less DPS then all other classes. Not sure if that is how it's meant to be, or what. Switching between stances while skills are on CD is how this class is meant to be played yet the Warlock, or Wizard, and most definitely the Rouge without doubt do outrageous amounts of damage, not only in PvE, but also PvP. I can't count the number of times on my hands that I should have completely outplayed someone, but the lack of damage screwed me over. I am even wearing almost a full set of PvP gear in domination yet, it doesn't seem to help me one bit.

Anyone else feel like this class need a buff? or is it just me.

(P.S.) All my gear has some sort of Jewel in it, whether it be power or crit, something is in the slot.

Feel free to prove me wrong. And add me on Xbox. GT: xXxRIVELEVILxXx
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• carmen5544332211carmen5544332211 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Yes this class needs a serious buff though I may not have all of the gear you do, I seem to do ok. I stay around the middle point wise and tend to get a 1.50 k/d wise. The melee is by far the weakest in the game from what I have seen but that's expected considering that it is a RANGER class but even the ranged abilities are pretty bad. I mean Aimed Shot is perfect where it is, Rain of Arrows works well but needs a bigger AoE Marauder's Escape is pretty awesome and constricting arrow has it's uses but aside from a few abilities I didn't mention everything else sucks. Rapid Shot needs a huge damage buff, Split The Sky should do more damage or just strike more often (without waiting for the enemy to attack you) Electric Shot also needs a buff and Hindering Shot is practically useless. The melee as mentioned before is by far the weakest in the game and though maybe I can chase down an enemy with low health every now and then I still get destroyed by anything else I go against with melee. This class can do ok if used properly with a good build but it still isn't on par with other classes but I will remain loyal until it is buffed :o if it is.....:(
  • spuratisspuratis Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I usually get second place in damage, though I'm only 24. It's kind of discouraging though when I feel should be hitting the top of the chart. Last night I played the Cragmire Crypts and I was beat in top damage by 50k.. beaten by a Shield Guardian. That shocked me. I play mostly ranged and use Aimed Shot as much as possible getting 2k-3k hits on a monster with the X on it. (Not sure what the X means, I'm guessing sundered, but I'm probably wrong.)

This all being said, I do pretty well in PVP when I'm not being focused but I feel like I should be doing more damage. The Rangers dailies feel kind of useless as well, though the stealth one is probably the best yet underwhelming.
  • rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Encounters damage is indeed too low. Really too low.
    Thats why playing archery is both dull boring and underperforming:
    At wills spammers focusing only on little aoe rain of arrow and high cooldowns and no kind of procs to compensate that.
    I think increasing overall encounter damage of about 50 percent is kind of needed.
    So much needed that will never happen
  • breckdareckbreckdareck Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 9
    edited April 2015
    rayrdan wrote: »
    Encounters damage is indeed too low. Really too low.
    Thats why playing archery is both dull boring and underperforming:
    At wills spammers focusing only on little aoe rain of arrow and high cooldowns and no kind of procs to compensate that.
    I think increasing overall encounter damage of about 50 percent is kind of needed.
    So much needed that will never happen

Exactly what i'm saying!~ This class could be sooooooooooooooooo much better, i'm almost 40 now and have quite a few paragon points and yet, still see no increase in damage, other classes have so much more DPS and burst. I'm kinda pissed that I chose this class now. I shoulda went with the Warlock from the beginning like I wanted to. They are so good at knocking people around!
  • j0kerspsychoj0kerspsycho Member Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I play trapper with a "machine gun build" , meaning I use hunters teamwork ranged and melee ability to mark, then use my encounters constantly with no cds, that's why the damage is low because we have twice the encounters as other classes. N at lvl 55 I have only been beaten twice in an instance /skirmish in damage, highest was the plaguefire instance at 7.5mil and next closest being a 3.5mil
    and while the burst can be low in pvp that's more of rogues n wizards being very strong atm not HR being weak. IMHO

Edit: Tho I would like to see slashes mark and disruptive shot get a buff and other strong grasping root abilities (confined to only 3 I think, would b nice if fox shifts slow applied them)
    Step into the madhouse
    Aldren Boweing - 60 HR
  • blackxxwolf3blackxxwolf3 Member Posts: 1,539 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I play trapper with a "machine gun build" , meaning I use hunters teamwork ranged and melee ability to mark, then use my encounters constantly with no cds, that's why the damage is low because we have twice the encounters as other classes. N at lvl 55 I have only been beaten twice in an instance /skirmish in damage, highest was the plaguefire instance at 7.5mil and next closest being a 3.5mil
    and while the burst can be low in pvp that's more of rogues n wizards being very strong atm not HR being weak. IMHO

Edit: Tho I would like to see slashes mark and disruptive shot get a buff and other strong grasping root abilities (confined to only 3 I think, would b nice if fox shifts slow applied them)

most people have trouble understanding that hr (btw i play on pc) gets all its damage from the capstone and last feats. mainly trapper. it doesnt get any of its damage til it hits 45 then the rest at 50. and thats assuming you chose the right feats.
  • kazuma126kazuma126 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Yep, I don't understand how the tank nearly out-damages me every **** time... Maybe once we get to late game we'll do more damage, I want to focus mainly on the bow, as if I wanted to use melee the Rogue would be better suited...
  • geltabgeltab Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 104 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2015
    I have spent the vast majority of my time playing HR on PC. They do very good dmg, but are gear dependent. I primarily PVP and yes I was one of the hated combat HRs :) All I have to say to the HR's on Xbox is, keep at it and gear up. You will, with time, tighten up your rotations. Learning what, how, and when to use abilities makes a difference. If you dont like staying in one stance, try trapper. It is the next big thing for HR's. A lot of fun with plenty of CC and perma encounter powers. Ima stop rambling on now, but I firmly say no to an HR buff, just get better. ( Not saying that to sound like a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>)
    edited April 2015
    most people have trouble understanding that hr (btw i play on pc) gets all its damage from the capstone and last feats. mainly trapper. it doesnt get any of its damage til it hits 45 then the rest at 50. and thats assuming you chose the right feats.

Trapper is the only viable path. That does not mean encounters damage is close to what should be.
    Which is fair for trappers not for combat and archery
    edited April 2015
    But how do u buff those two without breaking trapper? The key to hr I learning to utilize both stances not saying ur an archer so u must stay ranged or vice versa with combat. But atm yes trapper is the strongest path and one of the strongest in the game in instances from what I have felt.
    Step into the madhouse
    Aldren Boweing - 60 HR
  • breckdareckbreckdareck Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 9
    edited April 2015
    Post your builds so everyone can take a look. It would be nice to see how everyone is building their characters.
    edited April 2015
    http://nwcalc.com/hr?b=p9b:22rnyb:1by9f4,1fiiiii:100000:1u0000:1uu5z1&h=0&p=pfr
    This is my build, it works fantasticly, just did 39mil damage on the spider T2 boss instance
    Step into the madhouse
    Aldren Boweing - 60 HR
    edited April 2015
    http://nwcalc.com/hr?b=p9b:22rnyb:1by9f4,1fiiiii:100000:1u0000:1uu5z1&h=0&p=pfr
    This is my build, it works fantasticly, just did 39mil damage on the spider T2 boss instance

There are at least 3 errors there.
    You have slot aspect of the serpent! So you have to take the 4th feat serpent bite. Thats massive damage increase
    About heroic feats dont take damage increased on dailies but that about damage increased adter swapping stance.

Is fully pve, you should go stormwarden
    edited April 2015
    meh, i like the life steal for the healing in instances, usually top or second if theres a healer in the group. I <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> up on the calc, on live i have the increase after swapping stances, n i prefer hunters teamwork for pvp and pve cause the melee application eats things alive with the bleed. Dont need to change much to make it pvp, maybe higher teir but when i get to that point mod6 will prolly hit xbox

Edit: Now that i look at it though, the damage for serpent is prolly better than 5% life steal in general. N i did switch to SW for twin-blade, the pvp aspect doesnt take a huge hit in survivability tho so think SW can work for both pvp and pve
    Step into the madhouse
    Aldren Boweing - 60 HR
  • katozeekatozee Member Posts: 42
    edited April 2015
    I don't have much issue with my damage output, I am constantly 1-2 in damage dealt and almost always top in number of kills (PvE). However I play the class I would call rather differently (in the sense that I have yet to see another ranger play the same way). I went down the Stormwarden Trapper build and in a process of posting my class setup on these forums in the off chance other people may be interested.
  • player1sfplayer1sf Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I've always played as an archer/HR and I find that the HR plays very well. Don't expect to stroll right in with the smack down, it requires some forethought to play (be a fighter or a healer or a mage otherwise). Stratgey is the key; pay attention to your environment, and enemy(type and amount of) especialy at low levels. At higher levels attacks may start to feel overpowered, but you'll always need to watch your back(Kinda a light weight). HR is exceptionally versatile compared to others in its play style. (you will probably need to play around with your abilities to find which works best for you, everyone is different..do you like rushing in or do you like standing back, or a fair mix of both. Do try to keep in mind that a jack of all trades is a master of none (doing a little of everything can have its advantage, but can require some very clever strategies to pull off) I personally find that the HR plays the easiest when you pick a dedicated play style (range or combat) and supplement lightly with the other.
  • latinlegendlatinlegend Member Posts: 43
    edited April 2015
    The class is superb for PvE content. Outside of aggro management since the class really can't do much to dump aggro outside of the tank picking it up. I am running archery though so that may not be the case for other paths & builds. In PvP however, it is simply not very good. If you happen to run across the team that is not focusing on you & doesn't jump on you as soon as you appear, you will do very well. If you run across a team that has some PvP experience or, what seems to be the issue at the moment, stacked with rouges, you're not going to have a good game. The skills do not lend themselves well to PvP. The big hitting abilities require charging which is a major set back seeing how any form of damage interrupts you. Something I consider to be dumb & very out of touch with modern MMORPG mechanics. Stuns are acceptable since it's a form of CC & expected. They can also roll out of range of most, if not, all of your skills which is another problem. Again, I am running an Archery build so that can be the issue. Building up a Trickster Rouge right now for PvP purposes since it seems to be the class that gets the job done.
    edited April 2015
    The class is superb for PvE content. Outside of aggro management since the class really can't do much to dump aggro outside of the tank picking it up. I am running archery though so that may not be the case for other paths & builds. In PvP however, it is simply not very good. If you happen to run across the team that is not focusing on you & doesn't jump on you as soon as you appear, you will do very well. If you run across a team that has some PvP experience or, what seems to be the issue at the moment, stacked with rouges, you're not going to have a good game. The skills do not lend themselves well to PvP. The big hitting abilities require charging which is a major set back seeing how any form of damage interrupts you. Something I consider to be dumb & very out of touch with modern MMORPG mechanics. Stuns are acceptable since it's a form of CC & expected. They can also roll out of range of most, if not, all of your skills which is another problem. Again, I am running an Archery build so that can be the issue. Building up a Trickster Rouge right now for PvP purposes since it seems to be the class that gets the job done.

Ur issue is your build. Archery is good single target damage but as you said if someone finds you, you are dead lol. Trapper is the best path, it offers the highest damage (burst and sustained) imo letting me get #1 in both pvp and pve content. For example, i was doing something with my friends list in the middle of a game, i come back to dying to a rogue, he kills me and i pop back up with soul forge (have about 4k hp at this moment) and proceed to kill the rogue in 4seconds before my disruptive shot falls off. Being able to use fox's cunning well and shifting well is what makes a good ranger good imo.

Edit: with around 10 games today i had a low of 18 kills and a high of 38 kills and maybe 30 deaths total for the day, so around 200-250 kills and 30 deaths today. So TR's arent the only class at the top of the list.
    Step into the madhouse
    Aldren Boweing - 60 HR
  • masterwolf56masterwolf56 Member Posts: 204 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I see a few people raging about trappers. I play archer and I used to be in the top by a landslide with rogues coming close. Then I got into the 50's with my Ranger and one out dpsd me by a million. I was like WTF... How many Hunter Rangers use archery end game? Usually I'm running around kiting the adds and pulling like how I used to play my bard in EQ. I seen another build on PC that the guy uses both archery and melee in PvP. Should I switch to the Trapper build like a few others have said?
    edited April 2015
    I see a few people raging about trappers. I play archer and I used to be in the top by a landslide with rogues coming close. Then I got into the 50's with my Ranger and one out dpsd me by a million. I was like WTF... How many Hunter Rangers use archery end game? Usually I'm running around kiting the adds and pulling like how I used to play my bard in EQ. I seen another build on PC that the guy uses both archery and melee in PvP. Should I switch to the Trapper build like a few others have said?

trapper is prolly the best for pvp, offers great cc through roots and good damage, archery offers good damage but 0 live and combat has live but no damage. Just what Ive seen, though im sure combat hr could become a unstoppable node holder when u get full profound which gives you 2% heal when you deflect adding onto wild medicine and mad deflect chance you should never die lol
    Step into the madhouse
    Aldren Boweing - 60 HR
  • altarokaltarok Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    http://nwcalc.com/hr?b=p9z:22lhhg:20dxxo,1x6ii2i:1uu5zv:100000:100000&h=0&p=swd

This is the build I'm currently using PvE wise on the Xbox with slight variations in encounters/at-wills depending on the fights.

At-Wills: Rapid Shot & Split Shot/Electric Shot (depending on my mood both get the job done)

Encounters: Thorn Ward, Rain of Arrows, Split the Sky/Binding Arrow

Dailies: Disruptive Shot, Forest Ghost/Seismic Shot (depending on group composition and how often I'm pulling aggro if at all)

Storm Step Action/Twin Blade Storm

I'm Lv 60 sitting just over 9.2k GS and continually find myself sitting at the top of the damage charts in PvE. On the odd occasion where I do fall to 2nd place its never by much. The thing about the HR class is as someone said before they are quite gear/stat dependent. A good build comes in handy sure but if you don't have the gear to match it or you've stacked the wrong stats for what you'e trying to achieve then you're going to get less than desirable results.

Feel free to add me: TheMustyPlum
    edited April 2015
    altarok wrote: »
    I'm Lv 60 sitting just over 9.2k GS and continually find myself sitting at the top of the damage charts in PvE. On the odd occasion where I do fall to 2nd place its never by much. The thing about the HR class is as someone said before they are quite gear/stat dependent. A good build comes in handy sure but if you don't have the gear to match it or you've stacked the wrong stats for what you'e trying to achieve then you're going to get less than desirable results.

Feel free to add me: TheMustyPlum
    I would argue that a good build is better than gear. For example, any archer or combat speced archer would never beat my total damage in a dungeon. Trapper does to much so to even have competition. I've beaten countless other HRs with bad specs (90% of hrs) who had better gear than me and by a large margin. Hell the closest someone has gotten to me in damage so far was my 25mil to a rogues 15mil, and that's not close.
    Step into the madhouse
    Aldren Boweing - 60 HR
    edited April 2015
    http://images-eds.xboxlive.com/image?url=imbJM3vwvcwNUnV76aRa..5z_aIeRojI3AjLwryZfF164nSwxM9bxsGrCdjbJpWRCjVCE4Asm3OAjuxTglTNEDEkfnYHjIkfxQh9rknuc.dQ9ZfaFkVaBdYVmlH2njiUK.e6pR10r68IbQYaI7C_Be7KqKOY4ZH2cBEdaDG2Qm0-&format=png&h=640&w=1138

Not what i would call "mediocre" (hint im at the top) the only people who can come close to my damage atm are a mage full aoe speced, a HR same spec, maybe a warlock but im not sure how they work xD

so refering back to the poll, im going to go with both the No options, it is balanced and if we got a buff we would be completey broken and just stomp everyone in every aspect of the game
    Step into the madhouse
    Aldren Boweing - 60 HR
  • latinlegendlatinlegend Member Posts: 43
    edited April 2015
    http://images-eds.xboxlive.com/image?url=imbJM3vwvcwNUnV76aRa..5z_aIeRojI3AjLwryZfF164nSwxM9bxsGrCdjbJpWRCjVCE4Asm3OAjuxTglTNEDEkfnYHjIkfxQh9rknuc.dQ9ZfaFkVaBdYVmlH2njiUK.e6pR10r68IbQYaI7C_Be7KqKOY4ZH2cBEdaDG2Qm0-&format=png&h=640&w=1138

Not what i would call "mediocre" (hint im at the top) the only people who can come close to my damage atm are a mage full aoe speced, a HR same spec, maybe a warlock but im not sure how they work xD

so refering back to the poll, im going to go with both the No options, it is balanced and if we got a buff we would be completey broken and just stomp everyone in every aspect of the game

The sample size ( On the Xbox One ) is too small atm so anyone of any DPS class that is ahead of the curve gear/spec wise can put up huge numbers. Especially if the tank & healer are both doing there jobs to the point where you pretty much have free reign to cycle through your skills with little to no aggro. Overall, the class does excel in PvE content. Especially in battles where AOE's can pile on the damage count. Once you are running with individuals that are both as geared and/or as skilled as you are, the numbers will be alot closer or in some cases, lower than those other players.
    edited April 2015
    The sample size ( On the Xbox One ) is too small atm so anyone of any DPS class that is ahead of the curve gear/spec wise can put up huge numbers. Especially if the tank & healer are both doing there jobs to the point where you pretty much have free reign to cycle through your skills with little to no aggro. Overall, the class does excel in PvE content. Especially in battles where AOE's can pile on the damage count. Once you are running with individuals that are both as geared and/or as skilled as you are, the numbers will be alot closer or in some cases, lower than those other players.
    I was the lowest GS with 10.2k in the instance, but the arguement here is that "hunter damage is bad" but as you said when we get further along in gear we will be closer and even with others, thus no our damage isnt mediocre but on par and in a good spot.
    Step into the madhouse
    Aldren Boweing - 60 HR
  • katozeekatozee Member Posts: 42
    edited April 2015
    I wouldn't exactly hold to much weight to that concept with regards to damage output vs gear ratio. Through my studies I have come to note that on the PC varient the HR's that utilise this build still consistantly out damage whilst under gs compared to the other dps class. One thing I did note was that they were utilising encounter setups that were not as refined as our own so had potential to further increase the gap.

The damage comes from our ability to spam 1 encounter per second for as long as their is enemies, whilst the other classes are on cooldowns we are still spamming away. Over any length of time that will add up to silly figures, we are not good at high spike damage granted when compared to others and that is why some people view the damage as mediocre. Remember don't think of the class as a sniper rifle and marksman instead think of it as a shotgun weilded by a speedy ninja.

With that premise I would suggest that our role is to keep adds under control, not so much control but just anihilate them quickly and let the high spike single target dps focus on the bosses.
  • madmoxxifavgunmadmoxxifavgun Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    i run the trapper build and its the truth. very rarely do i get out damaged by people.
  • justxthextipjustxthextip Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Trapper Paragon Path, Max out the Throned Roots, only Melee when your on cooldown, and their trapped, and you have a healer for backup (or the Daily that heals you I forget the name). I have a very nice build if I have a halfway decent team behind me it hits HARD, usually top the team in points, and or kills depending on the roll I need to play. Best part is, not many switches need to be made move wise, and passive wise, it's basically pick and choose how you want to dissect your opponent. It definitely took some getting used too, and if you have a couple dead beats, even the best Ranger Build will fall to a Trickster without the perfect rotation set up and some skills. I think they might need a slight buff to a couple moves, but overall, if built cleverly enough, I feel like a powerhouse sometimes, more often than not, not the other way around.
  • justxthextipjustxthextip Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    the key is to have your At Wills hit hard while your on cool down. with the right rotation, and a couple buffs the Hunters Teamwork and Rapid shot/Spread Shot can hit for 20k in a 5-6 second span, then you unload on them with Master Trapper and throned roots, you just wiped their whole team. Only class that gets me is the Trickster, or a Fighter in Guard Im not being careful with and if I use Foxes Cunning, I can usually out class a Rogue and leave em running for the hills :)
  • madmoxxifavgunmadmoxxifavgun Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    i messed up the trapper feats and still barely was out dpsed. i played lair of pirates with a TR who seemed to know what they were doing back to back. 1 time i won 7 million to 6.7 million. i respected to correct feats and i won again 9.5 million to 6 million. trapper builds do not lack damage at all.